Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #51
Travis
Pro Rookie

I think one of the biggest things I'll be looking for next season is a more active (owners) league. Getting in on the ground floor is nice and the guy running things looks like he'll be continuing to improve the system (and seems to be listening to suggestions on the forums), but having a bit more in league activity (trading/discussion/etc) would go a long ways towards making the game more entertaining. Just kind of sucked having almost half the road games end up being forfeit wins.

Not sure if there is enough active owners left for a purely FOFC league (hoping so), but if not I did get a couple friends going in this who are still checking daily, though I don't think their leagues will be done for another 10 days or so.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #52
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The final game was the first time I've actually played the game in a very long time. I just find it too tedious. I wondered if the outcome might have been different if I had just simmed the game but it was too exciting to sim.

I did this for the playoffs as well, certainly gave it a bit of a different flavor than the regular season (quick simmed all but my first couple of games) and I'll probably do the same next season. That said, I'm guessing you were pretty into it during those last couple of shifts down by 1, on the PP and your goalie pulled.

Should have seen me during the 40 turn OT in game 2
Old 06-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #53
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I did this for the playoffs as well, certainly gave it a bit of a different flavor than the regular season (quick simmed all but my first couple of games) and I'll probably do the same next season. That said, I'm guessing you were pretty into it during those last couple of shifts down by 1, on the PP and your goalie pulled.

Should have seen me during the 40 turn OT in game 2

I was very into it. I actually put my 1st line PP on the ice with 2 minutes left and hoped they could tie it without the empty net at the other end. When that didn't happen, I had to pull my goalie for the final minute but was down to just my 2nd line.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #54
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think one of the biggest things I'll be looking for next season is a more active (owners) league. Getting in on the ground floor is nice and the guy running things looks like he'll be continuing to improve the system (and seems to be listening to suggestions on the forums), but having a bit more in league activity (trading/discussion/etc) would go a long ways towards making the game more entertaining. Just kind of sucked having almost half the road games end up being forfeit wins.

Not sure if there is enough active owners left for a purely FOFC league (hoping so), but if not I did get a couple friends going in this who are still checking daily, though I don't think their leagues will be done for another 10 days or so.

I agree and would also like to try and move to a more competitive league. Too many forfeit road wins this year.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #55
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just signed up for this thing, no clue what I'm doing. Been looking at the players I was dealt and tried to sign a UFA and was told I couldn't sign one over 69 of rating, so I plan on signing all of mine over 69 and then go shopping, does that make sense?

Pintendre, err, THE Pintendre Pittbulls are without a league, what's the next step?

FM
Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #56
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
just signed up for this thing, no clue what I'm doing. Been looking at the players I was dealt and tried to sign a UFA and was told I couldn't sign one over 69 of rating, so I plan on signing all of mine over 69 and then go shopping, does that make sense?

Pintendre, err, THE Pintendre Pittbulls are without a league, what's the next step?

FM

Since you have a full roster, you can create a league. I tried to create "The FOFC League" as a private league but was told I need at least 15 signed forwards to do so and, since my season ended yesterday, I don't have that many on my roster right now.

If you don't mind, just go to "leagues" and then scroll to the very bottom and click on "create your own league." Then just post the league password here and others can join. Personally I hope Travis joins the league as well since he had a great team last season and was one of the few active GMs in our former league.

As an aside, doesn't it seem odd that leagues simply vanish in this game? Why doesn't the game automatically queue up another season in the same league when your current one finishes? It seems very odd that you have to go find another league when your first season is over. Oh well, if we create a private FOFC league, we'll be making the best of it.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:30 AM   #57
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Gotcha samifan but I've not signed all my players so I'm kinda stuck with the same "15 signed forwards" message. Will fill my roster over lunch and if no one else has started a league I'll do it then. Do we have enough players around here to keep it viable?

Yes, it is very odd that the league simply disappears. I tried finding anything with FOFC in it and simply couldn't...

FM
Old 06-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #58
Travis
Pro Rookie

New league created

League: FOFCHL
Password: BEgKGdemcVCVcgVMFx6Kr

And yes, that's an auto generated password
Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #59
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
New league created

Password: BEgKGdemcVCVcgVMFx6Kr

And yes, that's an auto generated password

Thanks, Travis, but apparently I can't even join a league with 15 forwards. I've got to sign some players now so please save a spot for me in the league!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #60
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

gah, can't sign into the league either, still need two defensemen and I refuse to sign the last two offensive ones I have on my RFA list as I already have four out of six that are offensive. Got offers out to UFAs but they all say they'll consider them and get back to me within two days, bleh...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 06-26-2008 at 11:43 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #61
bbor
Pro Starter

I can join in 2 days if all the players i am tring to sign do so.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #62
samifan24
Pro Starter

Haha, I should have paid more attention to contract lengths when I first signed my players. Several of my star players, including my #1 goalie, are currently listed as either UFAs or RFAs. I'm going to be in trouble if most sign elsewhere.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #63
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Haha, I should have paid more attention to contract lengths when I first signed my players. Several of my star players, including my #1 goalie, are currently listed as either UFAs or RFAs. I'm going to be in trouble if most sign elsewhere.

I'd imagine RFA's you should be okay, giving up 3 picks to sign one of those is pretty steep. Any of your UFA's still have a small bidding group as only a few leagues have finished their first season, and with the restriction on bidding on players with a 70+ rating hopefully you can bring most of them back (if not all).
Old 06-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #64
laser
H.S. Freshman Team

Just signed the Lasers up for this league. We came in first in the our league last season but lost 2 straight in the playoffs.
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #65
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

so, what's up with our league? we went from a potential 4 teams to now only 2, is it time I drop out and get a league on my own?

FM
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #66
Travis
Pro Rookie

I've got 2 more people just finishing up their playoffs then they were going to join up. If we can't get a private league up to 10, I'm going to wait until they're both done playoffs then join up with them. If anybody else wants to do that so we can still try and maximize active owners I can post when they're ready (assuming one of us would create a public league at that point).
Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #67
samifan24
Pro Starter

I still want to join the FOFC league but I have to add two or three more defensemen before I'm eligible to join a league. Hopefully I'll be ready by the end of the week.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #68
Travis
Pro Rookie

Anybody else going to be signing up? I just ask as I have one more person signing up today or tomorrow, then Blade should be able to sign up a couple days after that (his league's championship series is just starting), but that would still only get us to 5. If that's the case, once Blade is ready to join I can just create a public league, get the 5 of us in there for sure, then let the rest fill up so we can get going again.

Just wanted to throw it out there for those already in the league to give them a heads up or if people were on the fence about continuing and wanted to give it another try.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #69
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anybody else going to be signing up? I just ask as I have one more person signing up today or tomorrow, then Blade should be able to sign up a couple days after that (his league's championship series is just starting), but that would still only get us to 5. If that's the case, once Blade is ready to join I can just create a public league, get the 5 of us in there for sure, then let the rest fill up so we can get going again.

Just wanted to throw it out there for those already in the league to give them a heads up or if people were on the fence about continuing and wanted to give it another try.

Yeah, I'm trying to but the game still requires me to sign two more defensemen. I'm out of draft picks and now even terrible players are being signed for millions per season. Please save a spot for me, I hope to join by the end of the week.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #70
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, I'm trying to but the game still requires me to sign two more defensemen. I'm out of draft picks and now even terrible players are being signed for millions per season. Please save a spot for me, I hope to join by the end of the week.

Not a problem, though I think we'll have to go the public league route once Blade's league is done. I haven't found a way yet to simply remove the password protection from a private league to make it public, so if we end up going that route we'll get something coordinated.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:17 AM   #71
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm in ....not quite eligible, so I am signing guys now

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 07-04-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #72
samifan24
Pro Starter

I joined the FOFC league this morning. I finally signed two or three crappy defensemen to make my roster eligible.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #73
Travis
Pro Rookie

We've got 6 now, anybody else still looking to join up? If not we can try a public league as at least we'd have a good core base of active owners.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #74
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I should be good as of tomorrow. 1 D short, so I made an offer to the guy I really want, as well as a piece of crap who no one else will offer and I'll be sure to sign.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #75
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've learned this off-season that you'd better sign your own players to extensions during the season. If you don't you're stuck throwing outrageous numbers at mediocre players. I believe someone in our league just signed a defenseman at a rating of 62 or 64 or something like that to a contract worth upwards of $5M per season for a couple years. That contract is outrageous but it's on par with others I've seen, especially given the financial environment the game creates.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #76
Travis
Pro Rookie

Okay, that still only gives us 7. I'd propose that unless we have 2 or 3 more people voice by tomorrow that we open a public league and go that route. I can't imagine we'll have much trouble getting together if it's even close to "planned". I know I can get on page with Blade and my other friend currently in the league as they both have net access pretty much anytime, so for rest, would afternoon be better than morning or vice versa? Just on the off chance that people seeing a public league with 4+ owners might jump in there a bit quicker.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #77
RendeR
Coordinator

Lemme go create a team, I'll let you know as soon as I have a clue!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #78
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've learned this off-season that you'd better sign your own players to extensions during the season. If you don't you're stuck throwing outrageous numbers at mediocre players. I believe someone in our league just signed a defenseman at a rating of 62 or 64 or something like that to a contract worth upwards of $5M per season for a couple years. That contract is outrageous but it's on par with others I've seen, especially given the financial environment the game creates.

I also think this is where keeping your draft picks will come in handy. Now that you have to use your picks prior to joining a league (I think that's where it was at last I read), using your picks to replace players you lose at the end of a season will be huge to avoid the free agency market (easily the most broken aspect of the game currently I think). That or dealing a pick for a couple 50-60 rated guys to fill out your roster to avoid sinking a bunch of money into a similarly rated player.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #79
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Lemme go create a team, I'll let you know as soon as I have a clue!

Biggest thing to start is just to make sure you sign all your initial RFA's to deals to get roster compliant (as you can't join a league until you are). Biggest suggestion would be to sign your young guys until they're 26 (as they'll still be RFA's at that point) and anybody almost 26 or older to either max length deals or to some point from the age of 30-33. Jury is still out on how players will go down in rating once they're 30+ and I'm assuming that'll be tweaked as the game ages, so kind of a crap shoot as to what strategy to take on those older players.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #80
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok whats the league name and password and I'll join up
Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #81
RendeR
Coordinator

I signed all the players I really wanted to keep to contracts of 5-7 years in length, the 400K guys, for the most part I left at 3 years, a few I gave 4-6 just to keep the re-up years at a decent level so I don;t have half my team needing contracts at the same time.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #82
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ok whats the league name and password and I'll join up

Pass: BEgKGdemcVCVcgVMFx6Kr

You'll put us up to 7, Suburban Rythm will be 8. I'm trying to get a guy I used to work with to join up which could be 9 which means we're still needing 1, though more likely 2 more teams to fill up the league. Time to send out some referrals
Old 07-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #83
RendeR
Coordinator

I won my first 'shinny' 3-2. I scored to take the lead in the 19th round of period 2, then went "all out attack" for every round of the 3rd period and held on to win. Spent 3/4 of the period shooting at their goal.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #84
RendeR
Coordinator

Lost to travis' team 4-3 in the 21st round of OT...damn you man!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #85
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Un-fucking-believeable...

I lost out on the player I didn't expect to get, he got a higher offer.

I also made offers to 2 defensive D (both rated 60).

They are both taking the full 2 days to review!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, when at least one of them accepts tomorrow, I'll be eligible.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #86
RendeR
Coordinator

See I went ahead and simply signed all my original guys, then I went and put some offers in on other players. I can always cut the rif raff later on.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #87
RendeR
Coordinator

Speaking of which, anyone want/need a 84/85 rating hybrid Goaltender? I have two available. not sure how well stocked the teams are with this level of goalie.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #88
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Speaking of which, anyone want/need a 84/85 rating hybrid Goaltender? I have two available. not sure how well stocked the teams are with this level of goalie.

Goalies are way too good and way too plentiful in this game. My starting goalie is a 86 and went 29-11 with a 2.63 GAA in 40 games last year. My backup (who began the year as my starter) is a 90 and went 4-9 with a 2.90 GAA in 13 games. I also have two other goalies, one a 80 and one a 77. It also seems like there are way too many goalies on the FA wire. I think the game needs to do something about the super goalies and also about every goalie having an above average rating.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #89
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey guys. With Suburban Rhythm we'll be at 8, so once he's got enough players signed, shall we do a public league? I'm just asking now as I'd like one of the newer accounts to verify that they can indeed leave the private league. Just want to check as I know there are some limitations on accounts under 30 days old, so don't want to assume we can all bail and resign with a public league. If newer accounts can't leave I'll fire the designer an email asking him to remove the password from our league or post it on the forums over there to try and get a couple more owners.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #90
RendeR
Coordinator

Whatever works. Hell I'll go sign up for a second team if you want =)
Old 07-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #91
RendeR
Coordinator

OK, I entered a second team so we only need one more tomorrow. If we get someone else I'll drop the second team (River Rats)

typical no activity between my own teams stuff. I'll quick sim all games between them as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #92
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sounds good. Anybody else want to do a second team? I've got two other teams that I'm running, but both are in the "need to sign 2 defensemen" situation that may take a few days to be able to join in if we're still looking for another team. If we're still needing another team when they're good to go I can round things out under the same outline as RendeR listed above.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #93
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy shit what a shinny I just played vs the pittbulls:

http://www.metroho.com/loggedin/view...7IwRSVNJn4AKyQ

90 rounds of OVERTIME to decide a 4-3 game. Damn. penalties all over the place but neither team could capitolize on the power play.

Intense!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #94
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, so where do we stand?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #95
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ok, so where do we stand?

We're at 8 right now, I think Suburban Rhythm will put us to 9 once his roster is good, and if nobody else wants to, as soon as one of my other teams is roster compliant I can be the 10th. I did a ton of offers today so should be good to go tomorrow or the day after. If somebody else wants to get in I guess that's the deadline.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #96
RendeR
Coordinator

sounds good. I played a bunch of shinny's with both teams with things coming out about even thus far. discovered a few nuances of lineup management that I'm still testing. be fun to see what happens.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #97
Travis
Pro Rookie

Okay, my other team is good to go. I'll wait until tomorrow or whenever Suburban is able to join up (how's the FA signing working out for you?) in case somebody new wants to join, then we can get rolling.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #98
RendeR
Coordinator

The BEngals signed like 4 FA's though I admit I probably overpaid for them. Ranging anywhere from 1.85 m/year for 3 years to 4 million a year for 3 years. Stat wise they ranged from 65-79 in ability.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #99
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just got a random message on Metroho from a guy looking for a spot in a league. He's finished one season so I've sent him the password. If he doesn't sign up by tomorrow I'll still take the last spot with my other team.

Suburban, how are things looking on your end, were you able to fill up your roster or need another couple days for offers to go through?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #100
samifan24
Pro Starter

Only one spot left in the league now!