Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #401
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Where the hell have you been? You have a kid too?

Honestly- I feel like I should do a "I've been gone for 3 months, what did I miss" thread. Nah, work has just been brutal and been traveling a bunch- just haven't had any sort of free time. Was back in Lawrence in August, San Francisco in September, all over Virginia the last two months, DC next week, etc

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-04-2009 at 04:02 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #402
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Eh you didn't miss much in the Alcorn State game. This weekend's game against UCLA could be a good one despite UCLA's struggles. I have to think that Howland is going to have the Bruins playing that tough defense and it should be a nice test for the younger Jayhawks on the squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh, heck. I need to check into this thread now that we're already a month deep into basketball season.

I miss being able to see every game even if it is Alcorn State or something. I do like ESPN360, tho- I got to check out the Memphis game earlier.

SI
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #403
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Honestly- I feel like I should do a "I've been gone for 3 months, what did I miss" thread. Nah, work has just been brutal and been traveling a bunch- just haven't had any sort of free time. Was back in Lawrence in August, San Francisco in September, all over Virginia the last two months, DC next week, etc

SI

Well, glad you're back.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #404
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's good to be back

SI

Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #405
Radii
Head Coach

so this john wall kid is pretty good huh
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #406
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
If Kentucky can fluster Drew and defend the perimeter well, Kentucky could win by 20.

This and so so much more. The bigs are all acting like they are still in high school where you can get away with dribbling the ball and making ridiculous interior passes.

Last edited by Radii : 12-05-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #407
Radii
Head Coach

Complete embarrassment of a half. John Wall, Patrick Patterson and DeMarcus Cousins are all better than anyone on the UNC roster. UNC has no one to settle them down when things spiral out of control. The one on one play during that 30-2 run(lol, really? yes, 30-2 run) was hilariously bad and undisciplined.

Silver linings:

Only down 15 despite a 30-2 kentucky run.
Its the first week of December. UNC needs this experience to have a shot to be there in March.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #408
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Ouch. I think I jinxed the Tarheels. I definitely did not see Kentucky playing this well given their struggles this season against lesser teams.

Quote:
Complete embarrassment of a half. John Wall, Patrick Patterson and DeMarcus Cousins are all better than anyone on the UNC roster. UNC has no one to settle them down when things spiral out of control. The one on one play during that 30-2 run(lol, really? yes, 30-2 run) was hilariously bad and undisciplined.

Silver linings:

Only down 15 despite a 30-2 kentucky run.
Its the first week of December. UNC needs this experience to have a shot to be there in March.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #409
hoopsguy
General Manager

John Wall is playing UNC right back into the game right now - the ball isn't leaving his hand much. Either long threes at the end of the shot clock or going 1-on-5 on drives.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #410
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
John Wall is playing UNC right back into the game right now - the ball isn't leaving his hand much. Either long threes at the end of the shot clock or going 1-on-5 on drives.

Yeah, pretty much.

UNC isn't really playing great but they aren't turning it over nearly as much and that's been enough.

Last edited by Radii : 12-05-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #411
Radii
Head Coach

It seems like Patterson should be the guy Kentucky looks to to settle down and win this. Hopefully they don't.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #412
Radii
Head Coach

And right as they have chances to tie it up, the UNC offense just cannot generate a good shot and Kentucky gets out on the run to go back up 5 with the ball.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #413
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
It seems like Patterson should be the guy Kentucky looks to to settle down and win this. Hopefully they don't.

Thx Kentucky!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #414
Radii
Head Coach

I can live with that. The offense, even during the comeback, was very out of sync, lots of bobbled passes, near turnovers, etc, but they were able to get back into the game and make it a fun ending. For such a young team in December on the road I'll take that every time. Grats Kentucky tho.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #415
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

John Wall was just unreal in the first half. When he gets the ball in the open court I'm not sure there is a college player that can stop him.

UNC played well in the second half though. They definitely dictated the pace and stymied whatever our offense was trying to do. Luckily Bledsoe and Wall were money from the free throw line at the end or things could have gotten ugly for the Cats. But it feels good to see that five game losing streak snapped even if they had to barely hang on to do it.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #416
Radii
Head Coach

Ohio State star Evan Turner fractures back after dunk - ESPN

Damn, what a scary fall.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #417
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Ouch! Good wishes headed his way to a quick and pain free recovery. Back injuries are not something you want to mess with.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #418
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

The Big 12 Pac 10 Hardwood Series has three games today with one already in the books. Missouri blasted Oregon at home 106-69 to give the Big 12 a 5-1 advantage in the series. KSU hosts Washington State and Iowa State visits Cal later today to continue the series.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #419
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
The Big 12 Pac 10 Hardwood Series has three games today with one already in the books. Missouri blasted Oregon at home 106-69 to give the Big 12 a 5-1 advantage in the series. KSU hosts Washington State and Iowa State visits Cal later today to continue the series.

I know that Ernie Kent has had success in the past, but one has to question the sanity of his decision to run with Mizzou in Mizzou Arena. That's like signing a suicide pact. He's lucky Oregon didn't lose by 50+ points. Mizzou has now won 34 non-conference games in a row at home and 24 straight overall.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-05-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #420
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know that Ernie Kent has had success in the past, but one has to question the sanity of his decision to run with Mizzou in Mizzou Arena. That's like signing a suicide pact. He's lucky Oregon didn't lose by 50+ points. Mizzou has now won 34 non-conference games in a row at home and 24 straight overall.

Yeah thats what we did to Memphis last year. You don't want to get into a track meet with our team.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #421
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI....Charlotte is thumping Louisville in Freedom Arena. Currently up by 21 points with 18 minutes left on ESPNU.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-05-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #422
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Ernie Kent has had success in the past with running. But Ernie Kent is the worst coach in the PAC-10. He should have been fired about 4 years ago
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #423
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

KSU wins by 17 against Washington State and Iowa State is down 15 to Cal with 8 minutes left. If the score holds out that puts the series at 6-2 in favor of the Big 12 thus far with Kansas and UCLA playing tomorrow.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #424
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
with Kansas and UCLA playing tomorrow.

That could be very ugly.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #425
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I have too much respect for Howland to even think that. I know UCLA has struggled this year, but I just have a feeling Howland is going to have his guys ready for this big match-up and playing their usual stifling defense.

I haven't had a chance to see UCLA yet this year. Any idea what their struggles have been caused by? I know they've lost a lot of talented players to the NBA, but I didn't expect UCLA to struggle this much even with those guys gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
That could be very ugly.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #426
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia Tech steamrolled USC yesterday 79-53. 19-0-by Tech to start the game, a 23-8 run to start the second half to put it away. Tech also adjusted to life without assist leader Iman Shumpert who will be out a month or so after having to have his knee scoped.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #427
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have too much respect for Howland to even think that. I know UCLA has struggled this year, but I just have a feeling Howland is going to have his guys ready for this big match-up and playing their usual stifling defense.

I haven't had a chance to see UCLA yet this year. Any idea what their struggles have been caused by? I know they've lost a lot of talented players to the NBA, but I didn't expect UCLA to struggle this much even with those guys gone.

lol...okay, where to start?

Their struggles are caused by several issues:

1. They only have one D-1 point guard and one D-1 SG (they play the SG as the backup to the PG, and move a bunch of SFs to back up the SG; they have a walk on PG in an emergency).

2. Said D-1 PG (Jerime Anderson) is a SOPH who didn't play much last year behind Collison and Holiday, so he is behind in his development. He also does not have a good shot from outside, doesn't have the quickness to continually beat his man off the dribble, makes a handful of boneheaded passing decisions every game, and, most concerning, can't even stay in front of Big West PGs defensively.

3. Said D-1 SG (Malcolm Lee) is a SOPH who didn't play much last year (although he played more than Anderson). His shot shows no consistency, and he loses the ball in head down drives too often. He is switched over to PG a lot, but makes poor decisions passing the ball or initiating the offense. He has the athleticism to be a pro, but not the desire to put the work in--athletically he did no serious weight work or growing in the summer, and his lack of desire particularly attaches itself to defense, where he is definitely no Afflalo.

4. The upperclassmen have one or two good qualities, and a ton of bad qualities; they should be roll players or end of game minute guys, but they see major minutes now at UCLA. Roll is a terrific shooter (when he's not on a bad roll, and when he's not at the free throw line), he runs the offense best and is the team's best passer, but he is a basically wide, white slow guy who is going to have issues defending anyone withg serious athleticism and length. Dragovic can do one thing--shoot--and he is even more inconsistent than Roll. He has absolutely no defensive ability, is a black hole on offense and makes freshman mistakes as a senior. Keefe is a former McD's AA, and probably has done the least developing of any such recruit in history. Like Roll, Keefe can run the offense and give some "brute" minutes in the paint, but he has almost no offensive ability (and maddeningly misses two foot put back shots like they're halfcourt shots) and doesn't have the athleticism to defend fours or the strength to defend fives.

5. NBA defections and some really poor recruit evals and decisions by Howland led to the lack of guards, so there are no other options after Anderson and Lee, and Roll has to play a ton of minutes backing up at the 2 (so that's why Roll gets minutes).

6. Depth is not an issue for the 3 thru 5 spots, but Howland is doggedly loyal to his vets (and who know his offense), so Drago and Keefe still see tons of minutes they shouldn't.

7. Said depth behind the 3 thru 5 spots are virtually all freshmen. Well regarded and recruited freshmen, but freshmen nonetheless. The best of the bunch, Tyler Honeycutt, was hurt in preseason practice and has not played a game this season. He is making his debut today (and will probably start at SF).

8. Drew Gordon. Well, a lot's already said, but whatever, he's gone. While here, Gordon provided solid post moves, passion on the floor and pro level athleticism. He was the Bruins' one semi-legit inside presence on offense, and also their projected best rebounder. But he was a cancer on the team. Getting in fights with players and coaches. Always questioning authority. He was called uncoachable in high school; turns out the experts were right. He played the most minutes of the returning freshmen from last year's top class, but he took almost no forward steps in his development from last year to this year. And now he's transferring, so whatever qualities he did bring, aren't there anymore.

9. Howland, even more than his preference for vets, is a insanely stubborn about playing a man D. That's great if you have athletes to run it. He doesn't. For all of the vaunted recruits he has had, only Lee on the current team has the requisite athleticism and enough experience to play good D--and he doesn't try. Howland finally broke down after the Long Beach State game and suggested "we may have to play some zone." I wasn't there, but I have to assume that was followed by a room wide gasp and a clatter of pencils and recorders being dropped on the floor from the collective media at the 76 Classic.

10. Howland is as dogged about his offense as his defense. When it runs well, it gets good shots up close or gets a shooter open on the perimeter. The problem here is, too many kids who are still learning the offense, so the offense isn't run well. And no one except for Roll really can shoot from outside, so Howland's teams are constantly hit with (successfully) zone D's they can't beat. And before they got by, because Farmar and Afflalo and Collison could penetrate and get the zone to collapse or because Love and the Prince were hard to stop underneath no matter what defense. Those guys are playing in the NBA now. And even when they were here, the UCLA offense has always been a stodgy one that looks like three guys passing hot potato around the perimeter for 34 seconds, followed by a desperate heave by whatever unlucky bastard ended up with the ball when the music died.

There you go. That's what happened to the UCLA team. And no, you won't see a stifling defense today.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #428
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

There are good things to watch for, but it's the "look at the silver lining in the dark grey clouds" type of stuff.

1. Gordon being gone means Howland has to play the freshmen. Thank...God...

2. Reeves Nelson is supposed to start. 18 years old, but a 6'7 fireplug who is already built like a 22 year old. He is already the strongest player on the team and had the best per minute averages of anyone on the team so far. He has his limitations (he'll play the 5, but he's short; he does not have elite athleticism; his offensive game is extremely raw, with scoring coming off of effort paint buckets), but his fire and willingness to go the distance and do what needs to be done is a fun thing to watch. Also, he has a faux-hawk and it's guaranteed you'll either completely love him (teams that don't play UCLA a lot) or absolutely hate him (Pac 10 teams).

3. Brendan Lane is almost certainly going to see more time at the 4, although we probably won't get our wish that Howland would start Lane over Drago. Lane is the smooth type of four, on the thin side and not a terrific athlete, but still decent athletically, has good offensive skills for a freshman and reportedly has a lot of upside. I have liked what I have seen.

4. Honeycutt's a mystery. But he's supposed to be the best freshman. It was thought he would carry some of the scoring load this year, and he has athleticism more in line with a future pro.

5. Mike Moser may start to get more time now. He's the most athletically gifted freshman (a 3 like Honeycutt), plus he's long and regarded as a guy with the ability and tenacity to become a top defender. He's very raw offensively, though, and the defense is going to take time, too.

6. We might get to see the mystery that is former 5 star C recruit J'mison Bobo Morgan today, and determine for sure that he is indeed a pile of crap and not deserving of the minutes Howland is not giving him and that fans have insisted in wanting to give him.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-06-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #429
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kansas 85
UCLA 57
Old 12-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #430
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Thanks. Hadn't been keeping tabs on UCLA yet this year. J'mison Morgan is one of those guys I'm surprised that hasn't excelled in Howland's system yet. He's only a sophomore so there's still plenty of time.

Today's game was pretty bleh. Both teams tried to force too many bad shots. I don't know if they were just trying too hard or what. I did like the effort on defense from both teams. Saw a lot of hands in the faces of shooters. You were right though. UCLA definitely needs a PG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There you go. That's what happened to the UCLA team. And no, you won't see a stifling defense today.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #431
MrBug708
Head Coach

Morgan will transfer after this year or else never play again
Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #432
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sunday saw two more match-ups in the Big 12 Pac 10 Hardwood Series. Kansas went on the road to beat UCLA, 73-61, and Oklahoma hosted Arizona for a 79-62 win with the talented Willie Warren going off for 25 points. The Big 12 is no 8-2 vs the Pac 10 this year. Oklahoma State at Stanford and Texas A&M at Washington are the only games left this year in the series.

Since it's inception in 2007, the series has been very competitive. Last year the Big 12 and Pac 10 tied at 6-6 and in 2007 the Pac 10 won the series 7-5. This year's lopsided tally is due to a down year after the Pac 10 sent a number of underclassmen to the NBA in the 2009 draft.

Quote:
KSU wins by 17 against Washington State and Iowa State is down 15 to Cal with 8 minutes left. If the score holds out that puts the series at 6-2 in favor of the Big 12 thus far with Kansas and UCLA playing tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:44 AM   #433
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Any idea what the issue is with Morgan? Is it just not the right fit or is it lack of effort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Morgan will transfer after this year or else never play again
Old 12-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #434
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any idea what the issue is with Morgan? Is it just not the right fit or is it lack of effort?

Well, here are the facts, which were fairly obvious from the game today.

1. If Kwame Stone Hands Brown were to be given D&D attribute Dexterity rating of 1, Bobo would get a 0. Somehow the box score only gave him one turnover. I saw more than that in the 25 minutes my blasted DVR recorded. Bobo couldn't even keep on a pair of form fitting Isotoners for three seconds.

2. He shows no defensive aptitude whatsoever when it comes to actual defense, particularly with slow footwork, whether he's guarding his man on the block or in help defense.

3. He somehow has no idea how to box out his man. I have no idea how this is possible for someone who had to have played on the inside since he was lacing up his first Air Jordans. And I know Howland's been trying to teach it to him. You don't have to be in practice to know Howland will have done whatever he could to teach it to Bobo.

4. The game seems too fast for him. He reacts too slowly to what's happening in front of him, on either end of the floor.

5. He does not play with any apparent passion or fire.

Given those facts, there are two schools of thought:

School of Thought #1-- Howland is holding him back a lot by not playing Bobo. He was raw to start with, and his inexperience at this level is really contributing to his slow reaction time and his slow defense, which also affects his preparation for balls hitting him in the hands. Howland locked him to the bench for just about every game in his UCLA career until today. So the thought is, if Howland would be forced by the circumstance of this year's team to play Bobo (as perhaps he may, considering Bobo played 15 mins today), Bobo would eventually get better, and he could start playing instinctively, which would allow him to react faster and more naturally, allowing what physical skills he does have (size and length, perhaps some athleticism that is being hidden by his slow reaction time) to shine through.

School of Thought #2-- That he's not just mentally behind the game on the court, he is just flat too slow and his hands are just too poor. And/or he just doesn't have the passion to excel at this level.

People close to the program and simple observation of Howland's decision making suggests the truth is closer to School of Thought #2 than #1. I think it's a mix. Much of #2 is true, but I think his apparent deficiencies have a lot to do with him "thinking" too much on the floor, instead of "reacting instinctively". He's also gunshy because Howland has (in the past) pulled him the second he did something dumb. He has some post up moves, he has size and the fact he got himself into much better shape over the summer shows he is not devoid of effort.

I personally think Bug is overstating things. I think Howland will be forced to play Bobo, just like he was today, and gradually as the season goes along, Bobo will play a little better. By the end of the year, he'll be a pretty crappy but acceptable backup level player. He may not ever be better than Michael Fey, but Fey was kept on scholie all the way through as well. FWIW, Morgan himself suggested on his Facebook page that he was leaving, too, in the wake of the Gordon thing, but nothing's come of it yet. If Howland has to play him (and I think he will), Morgan will be a little more satisfied with his role and probably not leave. If Morgan has delusions of grandeur, though, he will leave because Josh Smith is coming in.

If Morgan truly has delusions of grandeur after how poorly he has done, well, he deserves to transfer and give someone with a brain an opportunity at his scholie. I'm hoping that's not the case. I have always sorta felt he's gotten more abuse than he actually deserved.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #435
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pomeroy ratings starting to take shape after a month of games. Here's the top 10.....

http://kenpom.com/rate.php

#1 Texas
#2 Kansas
#3 Duke
#4 Syracuse
#5 West Virginia
#6 Ohio State
#7 Memphis
#8 Purdue
#9 Tennessee
#10 Missouri
Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #436
hoopsguy
General Manager

Eh, I would argue that these ratings are still garbage. I won't even bother arguing about the relative merits of Mizzou at #10 with you, but instead point out the teams that are clearly out of whack.

#12 Minnesota with three losses
#14 California with three losses
New Mexico (#16) > Villanova (#27)
#44 Florida
#56 North Carolina
#61 Kentucky

And a ton of others.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fabulous site but any kind of power rankings at this point are a crapshoot. Just not enough data to draw meaningful conclusions.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #437
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Eh, I would argue that these ratings are still garbage. I won't even bother arguing about the relative merits of Mizzou at #10 with you, but instead point out the teams that are clearly out of whack.

#12 Minnesota with three losses
#14 California with three losses
New Mexico (#16) > Villanova (#27)
#44 Florida
#56 North Carolina
#61 Kentucky

And a ton of others.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fabulous site but any kind of power rankings at this point are a crapshoot. Just not enough data to draw meaningful conclusions.

There's definitely enough data there to draw meaningful conclusions. The ranking gives the nod to margin of victory and who you've played. Mizzou has already played three teams ranked in the Kenpom top 25, so they're going to get a high ranking despite losing two of those three games. I'm sure you understand that, but thought I'd mention just in case.

Some of those lower ranked teams (i.e. Florida, Kentucky, NC) have the opposite problem. They just haven't played that many teams that are highly ranked, but that will obviously change over time. Kentucky is the best example. They've played 1 team in the top 100 teams thus far. They certainly looked good in that one game, but they haven't really played anyone of note outside that UNC game.

With that said, 1/4 of the season is complete, so there is plenty of good info available.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-07-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #438
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
With that said, 1/4 of the season is complete, so there is plenty of good info available.

I think the distinction I'd draw is that there's an adequate amount of info available to do some sort of ratings. We differ on how much "good info" is available.

Take a team I'm familiar with as an example. Georgia Tech has played 7 games so far, roughly 1/4th of their 30 game schedule. But they've only played 2 teams with a winning record, a far cry from the schedule they'll face in the bulk of their schedule.

How can any particularly relevant conclusion be drawn from what they've played so far? We know they aren't utterly abysmal. We know they aren't an incarnation of the Dream Team. Beyond that, what possible reason is there to believe they're better than Kentucky or UNC? But Pomery says they are right now, in spite of having played a schedule rated 219 (vs UNC's #140).

At this stage of the data, I don't see any reason to put any more stock in these ratings than in the human opinion polls.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #439
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think the distinction I'd draw is that there's an adequate amount of info available to do some sort of ratings. We differ on how much "good info" is available.

Take a team I'm familiar with as an example. Georgia Tech has played 7 games so far, roughly 1/4th of their 30 game schedule. But they've only played 2 teams with a winning record, a far cry from the schedule they'll face in the bulk of their schedule.

How can any particularly relevant conclusion be drawn from what they've played so far? We know they aren't utterly abysmal. We know they aren't an incarnation of the Dream Team. Beyond that, what possible reason is there to believe they're better than Kentucky or UNC? But Pomery says they are right now, in spite of having played a schedule rated 219 (vs UNC's #140).

At this stage of the data, I don't see any reason to put any more stock in these ratings than in the human opinion polls.

No, you're absolutely right. The teams that haven't played anyone of note don't really factor in just yet. There's not much that can be drawn from those teams that have cupcakes up to now. They're in a data limbo of sorts for a bit longer.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #440
hoopsguy
General Manager

UNC has already played Michigan State (home win), Kentucky (road loss), Ohio State (neutral win), and Syracuse (neutral loss). I would suggest that this is about as tough a schedule as there is in the nation. But at this point kenpom's rankings disagree with that.

This is what I mean when I say that you can't draw meaningful conclusions from it just yet. Kenpom's power rankings are done in a vacuum, without any preconceived notions of good/bad. That makes for interesting discussion in February, when there is a larger data set available. But it makes for some pretty silly conclusions at this point in the year.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #441
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
UNC has already played Michigan State (home win), Kentucky (road loss), Ohio State (neutral win), and Syracuse (neutral loss). I would suggest that this is about as tough a schedule as there is in the nation. But at this point kenpom's rankings disagree with that.

Sure, and you're able to deduce that by looking at that information, hence the reason I note that there's some good data available. I'm not making any absolute statements about the rankings being relevant overall as much as I'm noting that there is plenty of information where you can figure those things out without much effort. As you note, it all sorts itself out in the end.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #442
wade moore
lolzcat

So I don't tend to spend much time in this thread until conference play heats up and I start paying more attention nationally, rather than just the CAA.

But, my William and Mary Tribe are off to a strong start - and have started receiving top 25 votes!

We have 2 in the AP poll and 3 in the Coach's Poll. Wow. This is one of two teams that have been playing DI basketball for 50+ years and NEVER made the tourney.

We're all quietly hoping we don't wake from this dream. We're 6-2 with wins over Wake Forest, Richmond, and VCU - and our losses to UConn and a 3OT loss to Harvard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #443
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, completely off topic...

Was down there in Williamsburg yesterday, checking out the Grand Illumination (actually, that happened to be a happy coincidence- we didn't plan around going to it). There were students out protesting "No more 3 person limit" as discrimination against college students. What was that about?

I remember Lawrence put together a law a few years ago about no more than 3 un-related people living in a house a while back because 5 and 10 students would live in homes and completely drive the neighbors nuts. Is this what's going on?

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-07-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #444
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I remember Lawrence put together a law a few years ago about no more than 3 un-related people living in a house a while back because 5 and 10 students would live in homes and completely drive the neighbors nuts. Is this what's going on?

SI

They have similar laws in Kansas City, though the rule interestingly only applies to women. No more than 5 unrelated women can live in a house together. The law was put in place early in the 1900s to root out any 'lady of the night' houses in the city.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #445
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Sorry, completely off topic...

Was down there in Williamsburg yesterday, checking out the Grand Illumination (actually, that happened to be a happy coincidence- we didn't plan around going to it). There were students out protesting "No more 3 person limit" as discrimination against college students. What was that about?

SI

Yup - that's exactly what it is. The law has always been there, but there's been a recent step-up in enforcement.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #446
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
This is one of two teams that have been playing DI basketball for 50+ years and NEVER made the tourney.

Army, The Citadel, Northwestern, St. Francis (NY) and William & Mary.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #447
Kodos
Resident Alien

The upcoming Indiana vs. Kentucky game is going to be ugly.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #448
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Army, The Citadel, Northwestern, St. Francis (NY) and William & Mary.

Sweet - not quite as limited company as I thought!

Quote:
Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #449
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The upcoming Indiana vs. Kentucky game is going to be ugly.

UCLA faced a very similar situation, and actually held up pretty well against the #1 team in the country. Maybe IU will put up a fight, too.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #450
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Sweet - not quite as limited company as I thought!

I looked because I would have said two as well - but I would have said the two I knew - Northwestern and Army. I cop to not knowing Citadel and St. Francis.

Northwestern is the only Big 6 team never to make it, so they are usually held up as the paragon of NCAA futility.