Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #201
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
wow, thats just plain dumb, have some class and at least clap for the dude.

Or just stay silent.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #202
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

VMART with 3 RBI's tonight. Can we get him a fucking extension please? Who better are we going to get to catch?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #203
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

What do you expect from Philly fans.

They throw snowballs with bowling balls in them at fans.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #204
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We have had the Philly fan discussion here many times so all I will say is I am not at all surprised.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #205
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'll take 6 shutout innings from Zito.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #206
Terps
College Prospect

Fuck Mike Gonzalez. In his first save opp. as an O, he ruined a good day by Millwood, Adam Jones, the rest of the bullpen, and the Switch-Hitting Jesus.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #207
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(Is Wieters Switch-Hitting Jesus?)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #208
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Mike Gonzalez blows.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #209
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I was always nervous watching Gonzalez when he pitched for the Braves, even when he was successful it never looked easy. He would miss the strike zone by several feet far more often than most pitchers. Only going 10/17 in save situations with a sub-2.50 ERA last year was kind of unusual too. He was a lot better as a setup man.

We'll see how much Billy Wagner pisses me off this season, I wouldn't be surprised if he fell apart now that he has signed with the Braves to be the closer.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-06-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #210
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
(Is Wieters Switch-Hitting Jesus?)

SI

Indeed. I even have a t-shirt with a side profile of him and it says that underneath.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #211
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Anyway -- the fans were incredibly obnoxious. Boo'd the home team's roster announcements. Yelled "suck" after each player was named (something I first encountered when attending a UMD basketball game this year and I personally thing it is despicable). There were chants of "asshole" (for some unknown reason). That's not to mention being yelled at and heckled in your home park by large numbers of drunken fans on the concourse and in your seats.

Tame.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #212
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I heard Weiters called Orange Jesus yesterday by a caller to XM's MLB channel. I wasn't sure if they intended for that to be a play on Orange Julius or not, but I laughed anyway.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #213
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
VMART with 3 RBI's tonight. Can we get him a fucking extension please? Who better are we going to get to catch?

There are quite a few better catchers out there. The issue here is that he's likely going to be the DH going forward, and perhaps by the middle of this year if Ortiz doesn't hit. So, my guess is there is a difference in valuation between the Red Sox and Martinez's people, who see him as a great-hitting catcher. If he's just a DH and part-time catcher, that changes the valuation. I could see them trading for a solid defensive catcher (or even using Varitek more) and moving Martinez to DH by July.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #214
Ksyrup

Nationals Park infiltrated by Phillies fans on opening day
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #215
MikeVic
Head Coach

If you allow your home field to be overrun by opposing fans, what do you expect? It sounds to me like they employed wrestling chants at the game.

Now, if the Nationals sold large groups of tickets to Phillies fans first, then boo to them and they should know better.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
It sounds to me like they employed wrestling chants at the game.

WHAT?
(wrestling fans will get that one I think)

Actually I think an ECW styled "you fucked up" chant would be kind of funny after an error
Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #217
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
There are quite a few better catchers out there. The issue here is that he's likely going to be the DH going forward, and perhaps by the middle of this year if Ortiz doesn't hit. So, my guess is there is a difference in valuation between the Red Sox and Martinez's people, who see him as a great-hitting catcher. If he's just a DH and part-time catcher, that changes the valuation. I could see them trading for a solid defensive catcher (or even using Varitek more) and moving Martinez to DH by July.

valid point - and they do have organizational depth at catcher too apparently. either way though - the yankees would certainly bring him in and let him catch (he can't be worse than Posada is now), so you've got to extend him one way or another, or risk losing him to them because he knows they'll let him catch.

Unless you're thinking they'll let him walk and swing a trade for a big bat (AdGon?) to replace Ortiz, and then go with a more "value" play at Catcher (either from outside or using their organizational depth).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-07-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #218
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
WHAT?
(wrestling fans will get that one I think)

Actually I think an ECW styled "you fucked up" chant would be kind of funny after an error

I don't watch much wrestling anymore, but live events are so fun because of the user interaction. WHAT?! I said because of the user interaction.

I'd like sports fans to be more willing to chant at games. If I was at a baseball game and fans started chanting ASSHOLE!, I'd crack up and join in.

I think the only part about that Phillies' game that seems disrespectful is booing during Zimmerman's award ceremony. Unless he won it out over a Phillies' player, then it's alright.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #219
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
If you allow your home field to be overrun by opposing fans, what do you expect? It sounds to me like they employed wrestling chants at the game.

Now, if the Nationals sold large groups of tickets to Phillies fans first, then boo to them and they should know better.

This has been a problem at Cincinnati's stadium for a few years now with Cub fans. They're all over the place, and pretty obnoxious to boot. I am frustrated about it every time I go to a Reds-Cubs game... but what are you going to do? Turn them away? Nope.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #220
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't watch much wrestling anymore, but live events are so fun because of the user interaction. WHAT?! I said because of the user interaction.

I'd like sports fans to be more willing to chant at games. If I was at a baseball game and fans started chanting ASSHOLE!, I'd crack up and join in.

I think the only part about that Phillies' game that seems disrespectful is booing during Zimmerman's award ceremony. Unless he won it out over a Phillies' player, then it's alright.

Not real happy about the booing during the award but the rest is great.

They stole "sucks" from us Wings fans though, that's a 23 year tradition.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #221
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
This has been a problem at Cincinnati's stadium for a few years now with Cub fans. They're all over the place, and pretty obnoxious to boot. I am frustrated about it every time I go to a Reds-Cubs game... but what are you going to do? Turn them away? Nope.

The answer is to buy the tickets yourself, much as Braves fans apparently proved on Monday (as even players commented on the noticeable absence of "Let's Go Cubs" chants for the first time in recent memory).
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #222
Logan
Head Coach

I think it's a pretty valid criticism of the Nationals' organization when they're selling group tickets almost two full months before individiual tickets go on sale.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #223
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
valid point - and they do have organizational depth at catcher too apparently. either way though - the yankees would certainly bring him in and let him catch (he can't be worse than Posada is now), so you've got to extend him one way or another, or risk losing him to them because he knows they'll let him catch.

Unless you're thinking they'll let him walk and swing a trade for a big bat (AdGon?) to replace Ortiz, and then go with a more "value" play at Catcher (either from outside or using their organizational depth).

The Yankee thing is a valid concern for them, and I think they'll do their best to keep him. But I think there's got to be a recognition on his part that the majority of his next contract, he'll be a DH and not a full-time catcher or else maybe he'll decide he'd rather seek out a full-time catching position elsewhere.

The Yankees will have to be careful there, too, because they can't keep adding guys whose best position in a year or two will be DH or corner IF/OF. They're already a bit hamstrung with what to do with Jeter since 1B and 3B are taken up for years to come, and of course eventually even those guys will end up less than serviceable at their positions before their contracts are up. The funny thing is, the Yankees have a great catching prospect, but he's only a great hitter and already needs to move to DH or 1B to play in the big leagues. If they play it wrong, the Yankees might end up with 5-6 1B/DH types and no place to play them (or having to use up their corner OF spots on aging old infielders).
Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think it's a pretty valid criticism of the Nationals' organization when they're selling group tickets almost two full months before individiual tickets go on sale.

Umm ... doesn't pretty much every organization in every sport sell group tickets after season tickets but before individual tickets go on sale (or at least concurrently for the last two)?

Without any thorough study of the subject, that's definitely my impression of every ticket offer I've seen for years.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #225
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... doesn't pretty much every organization in every sport sell group tickets after season tickets but before individual tickets go on sale (or at least concurrently for the last two)?

Without any thorough study of the subject, that's definitely my impression of every ticket offer I've seen for years.

From the article:

Quote:
A sampling of other teams' policies shows a narrower gap between when group sales and individual sales begin. The Tampa Bay Rays sell put their group and individual tickets on sale on the same day in February. Orioles group tickets went on sale in mid-January, and their individual tickets started selling at the end of January.

Either way, if you have a fanbase that can sell out the remainder of a stadium in 7 minutes (and it would have to be a pretty solid number of tickets remaining as I can't see 30,000 people coming together in clips of 25+ as required to be a "group") for the most "fan-friendly" game of the season, you would think it would be wise to hold back Opening Day from being open to group sales.

Last edited by Logan : 04-07-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #226
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The Yankee thing is a valid concern for them, and I think they'll do their best to keep him. But I think there's got to be a recognition on his part that the majority of his next contract, he'll be a DH and not a full-time catcher or else maybe he'll decide he'd rather seek out a full-time catching position elsewhere.

The Yankees will have to be careful there, too, because they can't keep adding guys whose best position in a year or two will be DH or corner IF/OF. They're already a bit hamstrung with what to do with Jeter since 1B and 3B are taken up for years to come, and of course eventually even those guys will end up less than serviceable at their positions before their contracts are up. The funny thing is, the Yankees have a great catching prospect, but he's only a great hitter and already needs to move to DH or 1B to play in the big leagues. If they play it wrong, the Yankees might end up with 5-6 1B/DH types and no place to play them (or having to use up their corner OF spots on aging old infielders).

True.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #227
Ksyrup

The article I posted says the Nationals marketing guy called a Phillies website creator/organizer and offered tickets. Usually, he has to call to make such arrangements and the Mets are not quite so accomodating as the Nationals were.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #228
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Tame.

And thinking that is acceptable behavior is the problem.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #229
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
And thinking that is acceptable behavior is the problem.

Was this you watching the game?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #230
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Was this you watching the game?

I'm sorry if I don't htink you should yell "Sucks" after every name of the opposing team's roster. That you shouldn't boo award presentations. That you should chant "asshole" for no reason during a game. That you shouldn't scream and spit at the opposing teams fans with no provocation. If you guys think that is how sports fans should act, now I see why Philly fans always get defended on this board.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #231
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Since I am very appreciative with you helping me out with information on transportation and tickets...I will refrain this time from getting into this argument.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #232
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm sorry if I don't htink you should yell "Sucks" after every name of the opposing team's roster. That you shouldn't boo award presentations. That you should chant "asshole" for no reason during a game. That you shouldn't scream and spit at the opposing teams fans with no provocation. If you guys think that is how sports fans should act, now I see why Philly fans always get defended on this board.

This sounds like it should be a rant in a baseball movie. Kinda like that Costner rant in Bull Durham.

I don't agree with the award booing, but the rest is funny from time to time. I can see how one wouldn't like it though.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #233
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Since I am very appreciative with you helping me out with information on transportation and tickets...I will refrain this time from getting into this argument.

HAH. I mean, again, if you think that sort of behavior is acceptable, then there's not really anything to argue about. Perhaps this is why Philly fans and the people that defend them always say, "What's so bad about Philly fans?"

The things I listed above are among the problems with Philly fans.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #234
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
This sounds like it should be a rant in a baseball movie. Kinda like that Costner rant in Bull Durham.

I don't agree with the award booing, but the rest is funny from time to time. I can see how one wouldn't like it though.

Time to time? We're not talking time to time.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #235
Ksyrup

Since I am a lifelong Phillies fan who has stepped foot in Philadelphia twice in my entire life and agrees with you on conduct at a ballgame, I request that you rephrase to "Philadelphia sports fans." Thank you.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #236
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
HAH. I mean, again, if you think that sort of behavior is acceptable, then there's not really anything to argue about. Perhaps this is why Philly fans and the people that defend them always say, "What's so bad about Philly fans?"

I don't think the harassment is acceptable. Chanting asshole...I agree with that too. But to get fired up over booing or chanting "sucks"...well sorry but I think it's a bit silly.

Actually where I was sitting we had the total opposite banter with the Nats fans. There was a lot of ragging both sides but everytime it was met with laughter and such.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #237
stevew
Hall Of Famer

if he contunues to improve, some day Poo Holes may be as good as Garrett Jones
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Gotta love Dusty, lets Cueto throw 109 pitches in his first start
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #239
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Cowboy up...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #240
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I love you Paul Konerko.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #241
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Gotta love Dusty, lets Cueto throw 109 pitches in his first start

Then brings a guy with a career total of 1IP (yesterday) to face Albert Pujols in a tie game.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #242
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
From the article:

Either way, if you have a fanbase that can sell out the remainder of a stadium in 7 minutes (and it would have to be a pretty solid number of tickets remaining as I can't see 30,000 people coming together in clips of 25+ as required to be a "group") for the most "fan-friendly" game of the season, you would think it would be wise to hold back Opening Day from being open to group sales.

A good portion of that 7 minute sellout were by Phillies fans as well. You have a rabid fanbase just an hour and a half train ride away waiting for a chance to see Halladay open the season, it was a HOT ticket for Philly fans.

Combine that with a fan-base that does not really exist with a bad team and there is no way that park was not going to become CBP South for the day.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #243
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ryan Howard hit a moonshot tonight. He's on pace for 162 HRs
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #244
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'm not a big fan of the Troy Glaus signing so far.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #245
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Oh dear. Glaus 0-4, 4 strikeouts, and an error.

Thankfully Chipper homered in the previous AB to give Atlanta a 3-2 lead. Now it's time to wait and see whether Wagner blows the save or not.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #246
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Marlins are trying really hard to give this game away.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #247
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Bobby Jenks starts this season like he ended last (SHITTY)

1 inning, 1 hit 2 walks 1 run and fat crappy pitcher.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #248
JS19
College Prospect

17 hits allowed by the Mets staff... oh boy.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #249
Ksyrup

So XM's Baseball station (175) has turned into MLB Network Radio starting this week. Unfortunately, they are keeping the new pairings intact for during the morning/day, then just running a radio feed of MLBN's nightly TV show after 6pm - which sucks, because it's a TV show, and they're showing highlights and saying stuff like, "Look at that catch!" I can't fuckface, I'm in my car.

Anyway, whoever thought giving Rob Dibble a morning show was a good idea can go to hell. I'm flipping stations between him and listening to crap on ESPN about Tiger Woods (WGAF)...so I end up on Raw Dog for comedy on my drive in to work pretty much every morning. Rob Dibble is a meathead ignoramous who knows less about baseball than nearly anyone who's ever played the game. He's terrible. He's like a combination of John Rocker and Joe Morgan. And he's the guy who is supposed to bring me up to speed on the previous day's games. GREAT! I really miss Scott Graham and Buck Martinez from last year - at least they walked through the games and were interesting. They change shows/partners WAY too much on that channel to be effective. Apparently they are run by the same people who ran Fox in the early 90s, when they would introduce 10 new shows a year and cancel 8 of them within 6 weeks.

OK, I'm done ranting.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #250
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wish Scott Graham would come back to the Phillies. Then put Scott Franzke and LA on TV and drown Wheels in the river.