Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The 2010 FIFA World Cup thread (will contain spoilers)

So, teams have announced their final 23 man rosters, and the first match is a week from Friday.

Giuseppe Rossi was cut from the Italian squad, ending his dream of playing for the home country of his parents.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-11-2010 at 10:22 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Heh.

I wish I could say I'm dissapointed for him. Him and Subotic (although he at least made Serbia's roster). Heh.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-01-2010 at 04:09 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Interesting that Aguirre left Jonathan Dos Santos off the Mexican team, and now he's got Giovanni threatening to quit the team.

Idiot.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Interesting that Aguirre left Jonathan Dos Santos off the Mexican team, and now he's got Giovanni threatening to quit the team.

Idiot.

That certainly F's with Mexico's small chance for anything
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

seriously.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Man, I feel bad for Rossi.

Wait, no I don't. Eat it, fuckface.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I am so hyped.

I hope Rossi enjoys watching the tournament from his couch.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

+1
Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Rossi's Wiki page has been edited numerous times today with some less than complimentary comments.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 AM   #10
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That certainly F's with Mexico's small chance for anything
Don't worry, Mexico play vs France. They have all their chances intact.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I am so hyped.

I hope Rossi enjoys watching the tournament from his couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
+1

Ditto. This asshole needs a baseball bat to the knees when he gets back to Jersey.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Why all the hate for this Rossi guy?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Rossi is an American born and raised, H_Blue, but the son of Italian immigrants. He chose to play for his parents' home country of Italy (where he is a barely considered possibility for their national team) instead of being a probable star striker for the US team.

American soccer fans are not fond of him as a result, and enjoy seeing him fail to make the team for Italy.

As an example in hockey terms (best way to explain it for you ), if Ryan Miller had dual citizenship with Canada and US, and chose to play for Canada as a fringe player behind Brodeur/Luongo/etc. instead of being our star starting GK, imagine how he would be regarded by American hockey fans enduring Tim Thomas national team appearances.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-02-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

That’s what I was wondering. I have a lot of respect for the guy actually. Look at all the players with dual citizenship that choose their country based on whose squad is easier to make. He chose the hard route because it was a lifelong dream, good for him I say.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I like the guy, and can't blame him for playing in a country where football is the passion and the team is top-class (and he's likely to win) then one where its the 4th sport at best.

I do find it amusing that Americans hate him, but have no problem with their own cases of players who choose to play for the US because it made more sense for them.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Rossi is an American born and raised, H_Blue, but the son of Italian immigrants. He chose to play for his parents' home country of Italy (where he is a barely considered possibility for their national team) instead of being a probable star striker for the US team.

American soccer fans are not fond of him as a result, and enjoy seeing him fail to make the team for Italy.

As an example in hockey terms (best way to explain it for you ), if Ryan Miller had dual citizenship with Canada and US, and chose to play for Canada as a fringe player behind Brodeur/Luongo/etc. instead of being our star starting GK, imagine how he would be regarded by American hockey fans enduring Tim Thomas national team appearances.

Got it. I didn't know this background at all. Thanks, Chief!

Brett Hull did this. He decided to play for US instead of Canada years ago.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I like the guy, and can't blame him for playing in a country where football is the passion and the team is top-class (and he's likely to win) then one where its the 4th sport at best.

I do find it amusing that Americans hate him, but have no problem with their own cases of players who choose to play for the US because it made more sense for them.

Not sure why you would expect rationality instead of nationalism from national fans. I find their reaction to be normal for the sort.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #18
spleen1015
Coordinator

Hasn't this Rossi dude been playing in Italy since he was like 13 or something?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not sure why you would expect rationality instead of nationalism from national fans. I find their reaction to be normal for the sort.

That's fair I suppose; not logical, but fair.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #20
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Hasn't this Rossi dude been playing in Italy since he was like 13 or something?

no, he hasnt ever played in Italy. well maybe a few years. i know he was in Man Us reserves, and he now plays in Spain. and the way he celebrated after scoring on us in the confed cup... jerkwad.

the guy i hate is that Subotic traitor. he would be selling insurance in Tampa bay if it wasnt for the US coaches discovering him and training him up so he could get a job playing soccer.

Last edited by bulletsponge : 06-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

He trained with Parma from 13 to 17.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #22
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

im 90% certain he chose Italy because of his Dad
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #23
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
He trained with Parma from 13 to 17.

yea i knew he spent a few youth seasons in Italy, just couldnt remember exactly. he says he considers himself American, but on the feild he considers himself Italian. thats code for i like to dive a lot
Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #24
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Rossi was born and lived in the US until age 16, where he moved to Italy to pursue a professional soccer career (as if he couldn't do that here or something).

Until the recent change in appearance rules about 2-3 years ago, Rossi was not even eligible to play for Italy because he had played for USA youth teams (unless I'm confusing Rossi and Subotic). After the change, he then declares for Italy claming that playing for Italy was a "lifelong dream?" Riiiiiiight.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #25
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Rossi never played for US youth teams. This information is readily available on the internet.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #26
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i think you might have them confused. i dont remember Rossi ever playing for the US youth teams, but Subotic did
Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

There was an article about this dude in ESPN the magazine recently. Read it to get homie's background.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm a once every 4 years soccer fan (although now that I'm hooked on FIFA 10 I may find myself doing more than that) - so I'm stoked for the World Cup to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #29
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Meh -- Rossi's wiki page wouldn't come up for me earlier and I didn't have the patience to look elsewhere.

So he was 13 when he moved to Italy, and has been in the Italian national team setup the whole way.

Clearly I was confusing Rossi and Subotic -- I read lengthy articles on both recently.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's fair I suppose; not logical, but fair.

I don't know about fair, it's just reality. Expecting logic and rationality from fanatics, especially when it comes to nationalistic fans, is like expecting Dodgers fans to root for the Giants. Doesn't compute.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #31
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know about fair, it's just reality. Expecting logic and rationality from fanatics, especially when it comes to nationalistic fans, is like expecting Dodgers fans to root for the Giants. Doesn't compute.

Exactly. The World Cup, especially, is not about rationality and even-handed analysis. It's about ridiculously fervent nationalism and singing "Two-Nil" to the Germans at every opportunity.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I was going to comment the other day that I found the hypocrisy amusing as well. haha
Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #33
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Wow, some of you guys need to let go.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #34
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If the USA were to win the World Cup, the squad would share the largest bonus payout in World Cup history, $895k per player.

This article has a breakdown of the bonus money for various scenarios. If they lose all three group stage games the players would get $78,447 each.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-02-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #35
molson
General Manager

Ha - North Korea (that country everyone is terrified of but actually sucks at everything) screwed up their roster and listed a striker as a goalkeeper - making him ineligible to play in the field.

2010 World Cup: Roster restricts North Korea striker as keeper - ESPN Soccernet
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #36
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

For some reason I really like this Maradona quote:

"I'm not concerned [about a lack of warm-up games] because our practices carry you to a level you might not reach in a match, risking injury to one or more [players]," said Maradona. "We're going to reach a level that the [Argentina] shirt deserves... Argentines should relax because to beat this team our rivals will have to put all their beef on the grill."

Apparently defending champions Italy looked awful in their 2-1 friendly defeat to Mexico today.

Last edited by Big Fo : 06-03-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #37
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Apparently defending champions Italy looked awful in their 2-1 friendly defeat to Mexico today.

Defending champs... pfft... I'm still bitter over the Italy-Aus match from the last world cup...
Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #38
RainMaker
General Manager

Thought I'd run this by you guys. Bill Simmons had a podcast with Michael Davies that focused on the World Cup.

One of the ideas floated was having the World Cup shift to 3 year cycles. Davies mentioned that FIFA has looked into it and may have interest. I think this would be great. While I like the fact that it isn't every year, I think 3 years is plenty and wouldn't take much from the luster off the World Cup. There is clearly demand and the tournament is a ton of fun. I'd even be OK with it being every other year, although that would cause issues with qualifying.

One of the arguments used is that sometimes you miss stars in their prime. If a player has his prime from 27-29, he may fall into that range where he never plays in a World Cup at his peak.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #39
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mexico fans are thinking Semi's now
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #40
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I absolutely love the World Cup, but I'm afraid I don't really see a rationale for doing it more than every four years. There's a nice symmetry as it is having things like the European Championships in the middle of each break.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #41
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Drogba out for the World Cup.

Injury is right at the start.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-04-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #42
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ooof.

So much for Ivory Coast making a deep run.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #43
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Ferdinand also has injured his knee, no idea the severity yet but doesn't look great.

World Cup 2010: Rio Ferdinand leaves hospital on crutches | Football | guardian.co.uk
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #44
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Ooof.

So much for Ivory Coast making a deep run.
Nah, Ivory Coast has enough skilled players to still be good without Drogba.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #45
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Maybe that Nike commercial has a similar effect as the Adidas commercial did back in 1998, when most of the players (Zidane, Beckham, Kluivert) in that commercial received a red card during the World Cup...
Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #46
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Nah, Ivory Coast has enough skilled players to still be good without Drogba.

They will be good, but Drogba had the potential to make them great. I hate not seeing Drogba in the World Cup.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #47
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
They will be good, but Drogba had the potential to make them great. I hate not seeing Drogba in the World Cup.
Well yeah, I agree with that. I would have loved to see him score 3 goals against Portugal.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #48
bob
College Starter

Given the injuries and the fact that you already have set rosters, how would you handle this weekend's match against Australia? Obviously you want your starters to play together but you can't afford injuries at this point. Do you start Howard, Donnovan, Dempsey, etc?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #49
bhlloy
Coordinator

Is there really no way he can play in a soft cast with a fractured elbow? It will hurt like hell if he gets caught or comes down on it, and he plays a physical style obviously but still, if it were me I'd try to give it a go. I haven't seen anything anywhere that says he's definitely out, so we'll see. I'd be very disappointed if he's not there, just another high profile injury.

Ferdinand (assuming a knee injury so close to the WC and the fact that Capello is already talking about Dawson means he's out) is pretty catastrophic for England IMO. Ledley King has got to be a 50-50 shot to stay healthy for the whole thing, after that you are looking at an old Jamie Carragher trying to stay with the best strikers in the world, or 2 guys in Upson and Dawson who are completely unproven. Ferdinand has been hurt and not in the best form, but he's still a world class player and now I really don't see England going too far. This team had to be built from the defense forward IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #50
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - Ferdinand confirmed out, Drogba looks very bad. Really sucks to see guys go down so close to the tournament.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote