Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #451
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tennessee manages to hold off Belmont at home 66-65 after blowing a 13 point 1st half lead. Needed a Hopson layup with 7 seconds left + a missed 3p attempt by Belmont in order to break their three game losing streak.

Jon - have you watched these awful games? Any idea what is going wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #452
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Jon - have you watched these awful games? Any idea what is going wrong?

Parts of them (not tonight), that's about all my stomach can handle.

They're a team with only one player showing up consistently & that's the freshman Tobias Harris. Hopson showed up tonight for the first time since the Pitt game, and pretty much everyone else disappeared. Pearl can recruit but struggles with the game day coaching part, he still has no rotation to speak of, still has found no solution to motivating a team that seems simply show up far more often than they come to play. The 8 game suspension may not make much difference, he certainly hasn't done much with the games he's been on the bench for with the notable exception of Pitt.

As for the team itself, it seems to be a collection of undertalented overachievers (little Pearl & McBee), role players who shouldn't be playing so many minutes (fat ass Brian f'n Williams), and an occasional star who seems to not give a fuck considerably more often than not (Hopson). With the exception of Goins & Tatum who at least seem to try more often than not, the rest are almost generic bodies that fill out the roster & provide additional fouls (Hall, Fields, Maymon). Too early to tell on the two freshmen McRae & Golden I think, but it would bode better for their long term if the team had any leadership at all.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #453
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Mizzou - Illinois game was fun to watch.

I agree about the lame call at the end.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #454
MJ4H
Coordinator

I guess Renardo Sideny is probably done for good now.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #455
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WTF is wrong with that kid?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #456
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im surprised he even had any eligibility. Kid was living in a half million dollar home in LA as a senior in high school.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #457
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Im surprised he even had any eligibility. Kid was living in a half million dollar home in LA as a senior in high school.
You haven't heard? You're allowed to pay players now. Just say the parents did it and it's all OK.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #458
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Conference play is just around the corner now in the Big 12. Mike Anderson just notched his 100th win at Mizzou and are off to their best start since the late 1980s (12-1). He still has never lost a non-conference game at Mizzou Arena. Only a good test against Old Dominion will keep them from doing that for another year.

It's been a LONG time since Mizzou has had this many good inside players who can block shots and score. Toss in that three of them can run the break and it's a lot of fun to watch.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #459
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Conference play is just around the corner now in the Big 12. Mike Anderson just notched his 100th win at Mizzou and are off to their best start since the late 1980s (12-1). He still has never lost a non-conference game at Mizzou Arena. Only a good test against Old Dominion will keep them from doing that for another year.

It's been a LONG time since Mizzou has had this many good inside players who can block shots and score. Toss in that three of them can run the break and it's a lot of fun to watch.

Yes it has.. and the only loss being an OT loss to GT.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #460
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton with a nice home win over George Mason last night to get their RPI up to #70 or so. Dayton is 11-3 with one bad home loss to ETSU on the schedule already. Can't afford any road slip-ups in A10 play in order to be considered for an at-large.

And this is a Dayton team that traditionally goes 9-7/8-8 in A10... that won't get it done.

Anybody that is bored of football, Dayton hosts New Mexico on New Year's Day at 2 PM on CBS College Sports. Not as quite of a powerhouse game as it was last year, but still should be a hard fought game between two of the better teams in the 2 best non-BCS conferences (yes, I said it CAA, whatchu gonna do about it?).

Treat yourself to watching Dayton true freshman PG Juwan Staten... he is leading the nation among freshmen PG with over 6.5 assists per game. Had 16 points and 5 assists last night against the Patriots.

Last edited by Butter : 12-30-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #461
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really nice win for Mizzou over Old Dominion tonight. They're a very good team and Mizzou absolutely destroyed them by 20+. Should be 14-1 going into conference play.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #462
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Really nice win for Mizzou over Old Dominion tonight. They're a very good team and Mizzou absolutely destroyed them by 20+. Should be 14-1 going into conference play.

+1 Time for me to focus on basketball
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #463
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

UCONN girls down with just over 5 to go... could be the end here. Over/under on number of UConn girls crying if they lose? 6?

Last edited by mauchow : 12-30-2010 at 09:49 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #464
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

DOwn 8 with 2:33.. this is it. UConn girls are taking some bad shots down the stretch.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #465
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

If a female tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #466
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since the women's game came up anyway, I'll mention that Georgia Tech today set new defensive marks for women's D1, holding Tenn State to 11 points total in an 82-11 win. They also have the record for fewest points allowed in a half, leading 49-3 after 20 minutes.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #467
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

71-59, ding dong the bitch is dead.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #468
RedKingGold
College Starter

Condoleezza Rice sighting!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Condoleezza Rice sighting!

They showed her so frequently down the stretch that I was starting to think I was watching CNN.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #470
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
They showed her so frequently down the stretch that I was starting to think I was watching CNN.

I'm just relieved she got out of Iraq in one piece.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #471
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Nice job by Washington sweeping the L.A. schools on the road this week to start Pac-10 play 2-0. Even better seeing the Cougars go 0-2 on the same swing...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #472
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Nice job by Washington sweeping the L.A. schools on the road this week to start Pac-10 play 2-0. Even better seeing the Cougars go 0-2 on the same swing...

Is the Pac 10 Washington/Arizona and the rest this year? None of the other teams seem good at all.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #473
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Is the Pac 10 Washington/Arizona and the rest this year? None of the other teams seem good at all.
Pretty much. There was some hope that WSU might be for real after their non-conference schedule (and they still might end up so), but going 0-2 in L.A. was a disappointment for them.

UW is tops in the conference, and Arizona is probably #2. After that, it's a scramble between WSU, UCLA, USC, ASU and Cal.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #474
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pretty much. There was some hope that WSU might be for real after their non-conference schedule (and they still might end up so), but going 0-2 in L.A. was a disappointment for them.

UW is tops in the conference, and Arizona is probably #2. After that, it's a scramble between WSU, UCLA, USC, ASU and Cal.

I wouldn't hand the #2 spot to Arizona just yet. UCLA as a team is still improving all of the time. Washington did really well and showed its own quality in beating both LA schools. I think that says more about Washington than it does the LA schools.

I think USC is in the top four mix as well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #475
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw that Ken Pomeroy mentioned that his ranking is now solely based on this year's data for all teams. He uses some of last year's data until the 10th game for a team.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #476
digamma
Torchbearer

Harvard beat Boston College for the third straight time last night. My other team, Ga Tech, travels to Boston College this Saturday. I do not think the result will be the same.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #477
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I do not think the result will be the same.

Well, of course not. Harvard's not playing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #478
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Tough break for UW PG Abdul Gaddy who tore his ACL in practice earlier this week and is out for about 6-9 months.

Huskies have enough depth that they should still be able to win the conference, but it's a blow as he was much improved this year.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #479
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, of course not. Harvard's not playing.

I almost put "a BC loss" in parentheses, expecting a comment like this.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #480
Logan
Head Coach

I'm trying to find a link to the video of a non-traveling call that benefited Marquette last night against Rutgers. The announcers counted out each of the FOUR steps the player took right before he ran into a defender for the bucket...and the foul.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #481
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Did anyone really think that Sidney would be the one gone after that melee in the stands in Hawaii? Of course not, he has nba talent, The other kid however, is transferring lol.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #482
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tough break for UW PG Abdul Gaddy who tore his ACL in practice earlier this week and is out for about 6-9 months.

Huskies have enough depth that they should still be able to win the conference, but it's a blow as he was much improved this year.

Yeah, this is a hit to your depth, but guard depth isn't really an issue for UDub. Your second unit gets a little worse, but not enough to bridge the gap between the Huskies and the mishmash of decent teams that make up the next tier of the Pac 10.

Gaddy shoulda gone to UCLA.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #483
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Is there a more schizophrenic team in college hoops than Tennessee?

Wins over (at the time) #7 Villanova by 10, #3 Pitt by 10, #22 Memphis by 20
Wins over Belmont by just 6 at home, UT-Martin (4-11) by 1
Losses to Oakland (9-8), UNCC (8-7), USC (9-6), Coll of Charleston (9-5, incl loss to Morehead St by 20)
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #484
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For the Mizzou fans, great article about Coach Anderson......

Mike and Marcheita Anderson make basketball a family environment - Columbia Missourian
Old 01-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #485
Radii
Head Coach

UNC-Virginia started out really well, both teams shooting well and playing quickly... it was 26-21 at the 8 minute mark of the first half. With 4:30 to go in the game Virginia leads 50-48, UNC has made 6 field goals in the half, Virginia 4.

Harrison Barnes has looked a lot better than I've seen him play. He only has 8 but no one is putting up numbers today. He's playing within the offense, taking good shots and not giving the ball away. Nothing that screams best recruit in the nation, but its an improvement.

Larry Drew continues to be a worthless waste of space, no change there.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #486
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

While sitting on the couch and being highly medicated, I caught most of the UNC-UVa game. I gotta give UNC credit, they came back strong to win, especially after not getting a bucket for like 8 minutes between the end of the first half and beginning of the second.

Maryland plays Duke tomorrow. It's probably a good thing I'm still at my parents' house, they won't want to watch it which might make my recovery go a little less stressful.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #487
whomario
Pro Starter

West Virginia with a nice win over Georgetown
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #488
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hell of a college basketball game in Austin today. UConn beat Texas 82-81 in OT. It was back and forth the whole game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #489
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU has to be the least talked about top 15 team in the nation because no one can watch them on that stupid television deal the MWC has....

They will shock teams in the tourney this year.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #490
Radii
Head Coach

UGA beats #11 kentucky and Colorado over #8 Missouri in addition to WVU upsetting Georgetown.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #491
henry296
College Starter

You can add Penn State over Michigan State to the upset list todayl.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #492
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas beat Tennessee today (which doesn't seem to be that shocking based on the list of teams that has beaten Tennessee). Good to get off to a decent SEC start, though.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #493
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
West Virginia with a nice win over Georgetown

West Virginia has had a Jekyll and Hyde type of season so far, but this was certainly an encouraging road win.

I'm not ready to declare WVU over the hump, since Georgetown has been up and down (mostly down, lately), but getting this win and being 2-2 after 3 Big East road games feels infinitely better than 1-3 would have.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #494
MrBug708
Head Coach

TO be fair, Colorado is a good basketball school
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #495
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
TO be fair, Colorado is a good basketball school

They're a bottom four team in the Big 12. That may be 'good' in other conferences, but Mizzou had no business losing to them, even on the road. That's the kind of loss that can kill your shot at a title.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #496
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Cuse beat Seton Hall this weekend.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #497
molson
General Manager

Ha.

Another great coaching job by Boeheim this season. I don't quite understand how they're #4, 16-0, but they just keep winning. I keep expecting the correction, and I'm sure they'll drop a few soon, but once again, Syracuse seems to be vastly overachieving.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #498
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas gets their conference play off to a great start with a 83-52 dismantling of Texas Tech in Lubbock.

We'll find out pretty soon if the Horns have a shot at winning the Big 12. They host OU, then run the Big 12 gauntlet in the five games after that:

vs. A&M
at Kansas
at Oklahoma State
vs. Mizzou
at A&M

4-1 would be excellent for that stretch, but 3-2 is more likely.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #499
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

MSU beats Wisconsin in OT.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #500
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas gets their conference play off to a great start with a 83-52 dismantling of Texas Tech in Lubbock.

We'll find out pretty soon if the Horns have a shot at winning the Big 12. They host OU, then run the Big 12 gauntlet in the five games after that:

vs. A&M
at Kansas
at Oklahoma State
vs. Mizzou
at A&M

4-1 would be excellent for that stretch, but 3-2 is more likely.

So beating KU would be excellent eh?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote