Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #251
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Have they said where this ref crew is from? God damn do they call a lot of fouls.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #252
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I thought UNC was supposed to be a title contender this year?

They'll hopefully be better than this shit by the end of the year but you can find many posts by me last year writing off UNC until Larry Drew is no longer the starting PG. I expect better than last year and say a 2nd round or sweet 16 NCAA caliber team. Hopefully I'll enjoy watching Barnes, but I'm still not excited about a clear one and done guy.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #253
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Have they said where this ref crew is from? God damn do they call a lot of fouls.

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be much of a college basketball fan if all games were called like the ones in this tournament.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #254
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be much of a college basketball fan if all games were called like the ones in this tournament.

170 fouls called in the 3 games WVU played in this tourney. Atrocious officiating.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #255
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yeah, I did a little research and came to the conclusion that there are about 38 personal fouls called per college bball game. So there were 50% more fouls called in the games WVA played in.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-21-2010 at 11:05 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #256
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Syracuse by 3 (nothing against Syracuse- wade just seemed to be the only one who cared in this thread)

SI
boeheim almost murdered one of the beats during the presser. he's been saying this is the most overrated team he's ever had and that cuse stinks.

that's not motivational shit either. he usually calls it as he sees it. this doesn't bode well.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #257
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
boeheim almost murdered one of the beats during the presser. he's been saying this is the most overrated team he's ever had and that cuse stinks.

that's not motivational shit either. he usually calls it as he sees it. this doesn't bode well.

This is definitely the time to catch them for an upset, but nobody's been able to do it yet. I think they have a chance to improve as the year goes on. A lot of interesting/talented freshman that have a lot of holes. But no real go-to guys, or leadership. Kris Joseph was supposed to be "the man" this year, I guess, but he hasn't shown up yet.

Last edited by molson : 11-22-2010 at 02:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #258
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man did we look good against virginia but I think we can stop jacking up threes with a 40 point lead.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #259
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Fantastic performance by Washington tonight in all phases, and they were properly lauded by the ESPN crew. Great night for Washington basketball, and hopefully they can play with that same kind of focus and intensity tomorrow vs. Kentucky.

Just sick really to think how good the Huskies would be if Jones had stuck with his commitment to Washington...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #260
spleen1015
Coordinator

Good to see Duke fight through a little adversity last night. The game again KSU tonight should be a good one.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #261
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Hopefully I'll enjoy watching Barnes, but I'm still not excited about a clear one and done guy.

The way things are going in the NBA CBA discussions, there might not be any one and dones this year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #262
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The way things are going in the NBA CBA discussions, there might not be any one and dones this year.

would be interesting what happens in that case. Normally iŽd say that Europe would hold a lot of apeal then, but then again there might be a sizeable number of NBA players going that route (especially guys originally from Europe) so that money wouldnŽt be that easy to get for players coming from the college game.
No idea if this is even legally possible, but at least for all free agents or guys normally owed qualifying offers etc this would be an option.

Last edited by whomario : 11-23-2010 at 09:32 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #263
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looking forward to the Mizzou games tonight and tomorrow in Mexico. Winning this tourney would likely mean a top ten ranking.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #264
Groundhog
Coordinator

Any top-flight one and done would easily find themselves a very nice one-year deal in Russia/Turkey/Anywhere.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #265
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm really looking forward to watching the 76 Classic on TV this weekend. I think UNLV can win it, but Murray State and Virginia Tech will be tough opponents if advancements work out as I think they will.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #266
RainMaker
General Manager

Murray State is real good. Did well in the tournament last year and have every starter back.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #267
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This UW-KY game has a big game feel to it and great pace. Anyone who says the Jones story is a non story is just plain wrong, there is a definite angst between these two teams.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #268
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas beats Sam Houston State 84-50, giving Rick Barnes career win #500.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-23-2010 at 09:00 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #269
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

pst, Lorenzo, how about a timeout?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #270
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Glad to see coach K has taught this new class how to flop so well.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #271
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

No. 2 falls as Kemba Walker shines again - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

State goes down after a lackluster start to the season and a growing trend of missing free throws. It's going to be interesting to see how well this team handles being anointed #2 in the country. They probably under perform a bit only to crank it up during March Madness.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #272
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Amazing we are up one at the break the way we played.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #273
Groundhog
Coordinator

Michigan State's guards are streaky as hell. Whenever I watch them play it seems they can't get anything to drop.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #274
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Washington needs to solve the rebounding problem they have. Too bad the best solution to the problem backed out of his live TV commit to them this summer and decided to cast his lot with Calipari...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #276
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
No. 2 falls as Kemba Walker shines again - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

State goes down after a lackluster start to the season and a growing trend of missing free throws. It's going to be interesting to see how well this team handles being anointed #2 in the country. They probably under perform a bit only to crank it up during March Madness.

I enjoy seeing MSU lose at anything.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 PM   #277
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I gotta say congratulations to Duke tonight; they played a very solid game, and I don't think any college team (and maybe a couple pro teams) could have beaten them.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 AM   #278
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Can Dicky V possibly blow Duke any harder?

This even got on my nerves. He was smoking it hard for Kyrie Irving.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #279
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

They shot 75% from the line while UConn shot 58%. Yea Green missed a couple at the end of the game (career right around 60%) but these things usually average out.

They seem to be missing Raymar Morgan more than anyone expected. I think they lose today against Washington too.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UConn is doing nasty shit to Kentucky, 50-29 at the half.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #281
Groundhog
Coordinator

Is Kemba Walker this year's Evan Turner?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #282
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
UConn is doing nasty shit to Kentucky, 50-29 at the half.
The scary thing is UConn's backup PG might be better than Kemba. In an admittedly small sample (4 years playing and 2.5+ of coaching) I have never seen a player up close who is as quick as Shabazz Napier. I've seen a few very good college players in that league who I felt were decent enough (Michael Beasley comes to mind), but Napier seemed like a Mass. version of Iverson - without knowledge of his grades I don't know why he reclassified and committed mid-year but it seemed absurd he wasn't BCS+ level already. (He also has a badass name fwtw )

On our end, I wouldn't say UMass has played particularly well, but we are 5-0, which counts for something (an NIT berth?) This is kind of is one of those "we know our coach can recruit, but can he win close games or you know, um, coach?" seasons, and so far the defense is light years better than the past two. Hopefully it continues.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-25-2010 at 12:44 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #283
Johnny93g
College Starter

2012 5 star point guard Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell commits to Indiana today!!
Just amazing the run Coach Crean is on right now. He's closed the border of Indiana.

This was expected, what wasn't was two 2013 prospects, Colin Hartman and Devin Davis pledged themselves to IU last weekend.

There isn't alot of info on Hartman or Davis, anyone here in the know care to share?
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 11-25-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #284
RedKingGold
College Starter

Villanova let UCLA hang around, but got the double digit win, 82-70 in the NIT semis.

I'm really excited about 'Nova as I think it's the best "team" since the 2005-2006 Lowry-Foye-Ray year. However, UConn just looks downright scary so far and will be no afterthought in the Big East.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #285
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA was a few mental errors for making that a better game, this year isn't the team, next year they'll be better
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #286
Izulde
Head Coach

80-71 win for UNLV in the first round of the 76 Classic. Tulsa played the Runnin' Rebels close for most of the first half and were got as close as 5 in the second half, but 20 turnovers killed the Golden Hurricane. Then again, UNLV had 16 as well.

Derrick Jasper found his earlier rebounding form back and netted his first collegiate double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds, along with 2 steals. Chace Stanback again came up with clutch shots and finished with a team-high 15 points on 6/7 shooting. Four Runnin' Rebels with 12+ points - Stanback, Jasper, Oscar Bellfield (13 points - once again hot early before cooling off. Also had 7 assists, 2 steals and a block to 3 TOs), and Tre'Von Willis (12 points as 6th man).

We shot 52.7% as a team, once again accurate from 3 point range at 8/14 (57.1%). A very balanced, solid win over a decent Tulsa team.

I'm nervous about the game against Murray State tomorrow night. Racers have a really good squad and I had them, Virginia Tech, and UNLV as the three favorites to win the 76 Classic.

Last edited by Izulde : 11-26-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #287
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
2012 5 star point guard Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell commits to Indiana today!!
Just amazing the run Coach Crean is on right now. He's closed the border of Indiana.

This was expected, what wasn't was two 2013 prospects, Colin Hartman and Devin Davis pledged themselves to IU last weekend.

There isn't alot of info on Hartman or Davis, anyone here in the know care to share?

Just saw that Yogi had committed today! The pieces are all in place now for an IU resurgence in basketball. Lots of talent coming in. Just need to ride out one more season where we'll be fairly mediocre, and then the climb back to the top of the Big Ten will begin in earnest.

Man I wish I felt this good about the future of our football team. Hopefully Bill Lynch is fired by this time tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #288
DeToxRox
Head Coach

lol Cal scored 5 points in the 1st half vs Notre Dame. 1 shy of the record.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #289
JeeberDMack
Mascot

UTEP's up 37-31 on Georgia Tech at the half in the first semifinal of the Legends Classic in Atlantic City. The winner of this game will play the winner of tonight's Michigan/Syracuse game tomorrow evening.
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #290
Izulde
Head Coach

Arguably the best first half I've seen out of UNLV this season. 34-22 halftime lead over Murray State, due largely to forcing 13 Racers turnovers.

We ended up 69-55 winners and advance to the 76 Classic championship, as Murray State got no closer than 7 in the second half. UNLV statistical stars: Chace Stanback with 19 points on 7/8 shooting, 3/4 from 3 point range, Quintrell Thomas with perhaps his best game as a Rebel - 5/5 for 12 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks and just 1 turnover, Derrick Jasper having a solid all-around game of 10 points and 4 rebounds on 5/10 shooting and playing really quality defense that didn't show up on the box score. Oscar Bellfield finished with 10 points and 6 assists, but also had 6 turnovers and was just 3 for 9. He didn't have his usual fast start and in fact, he was 1 for 5 before going 2 for his last 4, including a couple 3 pointers.

Runnin' Rebs shot beautifully as a team, 58.7% from the floor, 47.6% from 3 point range. However, we got beaten on the glass, 27 to 23. On the other hand, we held the Racers to 34.8% shooting, so it's all good.

I predicted before the tournament started that UNLV, Murray State, and Virginia Tech looked like the strongest teams. Runnin' Rebels ran off the Racers and now it's on to the 76 Classic final against the Hokies.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #291
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

cuse mich. game was a clunker. looked like a rec game at the y. fab melo played all of 5 min. ugly ugly cuse win.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #292
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

A reminder if you're looking for some basketball to watch. Arizona/Kansas is on at 10:00 PM EST on ESPN2.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #293
Izulde
Head Coach

Went to what is quickly becoming my favorite local bar to watch the 76 Classic championship: UNLV/Virginia Tech.

We started off cold and the Hokies were hot, a 13-4 deficit and I got a bad feeling in my stomach. By halftime, though, we'd not only come back, but after going on a run after the score was tied 20-20, were up, 37-30. Credit 10 turnovers and Virginia Tech's horrific 4 of 13 from the charity stripe for that lead.

They got close multiple times in the second half, and it wasn't until the later stages of the game that we finally went up by 10, then got our lead cut yet some more, than expanded it out to a final 71-59 score.

Heroes of the Game
Chace Stanback
17 points (8/15), 8 rebounds (4 ORB). Talentwise, a certain Mr. Willis is our best player, but Chace has been the team's leader and hero for the early season. Took a few ill-advised shots in my opinion, but you can't ignore another great outing from him.

Quintrell Thomas
14 points (6/7), 3 rebounds, in just 17 minutes. Q has really, really improved from how he looked earlier in the season and is quietly starting to impress me on the offensive end. Defensively I'm still not entirely sold on him, but he's proving an effective post scorer.

Anthony Marshall
10 points (5/9), 4 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal, a block. Fantastic first half from him, as he made a lot of heads up plays. Was quieter in the second half, but nonetheless a valuable cog in the guard rotation.

Tre'Von Willis
14 points (5/11, 3/7 from downtown), 3 assists, 3 steals. Had his best game of the season by far. Still not in the starting lineup, but like I told somebody else, he's finally starting to look like he's getting back to All-Conference form. The only one of our players who could hit from long range all night long.

Other Notes
First time this season our 3 point shot failed us. 4 for 17 (23.5%), and although we were 53.8% from the field, it didn't feel like we were shooting that well. On the other hand, we hustled on the offensive glass far better this game than we have at any point in the season, which was great to see.

Both teams shot in the 40s from the free throw line. I suspect coach is going to have them practicing that this week. Good ball security by the Rebs. Just 9 turnovers to the Hokies' 18, a big difference in the game.

Lastly, let me give a shout to Virginia Tech's Malcom Delaney. I heard this kid was scary good coming into this game and he put on a hell of a show. 28 points on 9/14, 7/9 from behind the arc, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals. Sure he had 4 turnovers, but this guy is for real based on what I saw of him tonight. He singlehandedly kept his team in the game.

But in the end, it's the UNLV Runnin' Rebels - 2010 76 Classic Champions!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #294
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm going to the Mizzou-Georgetown game tonight at the Sprint Center. Pretty excited to attend a game. Those opportunities don't come along quite as often when you have kids. Will be interesting to see which team can control the tempo in their favor.

Game is on ESPNU at 9:00 PM EST.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #295
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm going to the Mizzou-Georgetown game tonight at the Sprint Center. Pretty excited to attend a game. Those opportunities don't come along quite as often when you have kids. Will be interesting to see which team can control the tempo in their favor.

Game is on ESPNU at 9:00 PM EST.

I can't wait, that should be a blast. I don't know how I feel about the Tigers so far. I think they are probably overrated by about 10-15 spots and have not looked great in their warm-up games but on the other hand kids seem to play up or down to the level of their competition. So Arkansas-Pine Bluff and a half empty crowd will not get the same effort as an electric Sprint Center against one of the Big East's signature teams. I wish it weren't the case and Mike Anderson could motivate them every trip out but I think we will find out tonight what this team is really made of.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #296
DataKing
Pro Rookie

This game should be an interesting contrast in styles. I'll be checking it out tonight if I can.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #297
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll just toss in that UNLV is now finally ranked in the Top 25 at #24.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #298
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Hoo boy. If you missed the Mizzou-Georgetown game, you missed a dandy. That game had everything you want in a big time matchup between two very good teams. Georgetown had the best shooting game they'll have all year long. They didn't miss in 18 FT attempts. They were burying one key three pointer after another. Yet Mizzou came roaring from an 18 point deficit to take a five point lead late in the game. Georgetown then managed to come back when Mizzou missed a couple late FT's and hit a three to tie at the end of the second half. Turned out to be a demoralizing basket that threw MU into a funk in OT.

Yes, there was a blown call at the end of the first and second half that cost MU the win (how Higgins still has a job as a referee I'll never understand), but it's extremely hard to worry about it too much when you have that great of a game. Georgetown hit shot after shot with a hand in their face and Mizzou battled back. It was a wonderful tourney-like atmosphere. Definitely got my money's worth tonight.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #299
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I can't wait, that should be a blast. I don't know how I feel about the Tigers so far. I think they are probably overrated by about 10-15 spots and have not looked great in their warm-up games but on the other hand kids seem to play up or down to the level of their competition. So Arkansas-Pine Bluff and a half empty crowd will not get the same effort as an electric Sprint Center against one of the Big East's signature teams. I wish it weren't the case and Mike Anderson could motivate them every trip out but I think we will find out tonight what this team is really made of.

I don't think there's any question that both Georgetown and Mizzou are very good teams after watching that game tonight. They're both going to be teams that you don't want to face in the NCAA tournament.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #300
Radii
Head Coach

UNC loses again, expected here for sure after struggling seriously to beat UNC Asheville and College of Charleston.

superstar and #1 pick next year if there isn't a lockout Harrison Barnes started out with two good games against Lipscomb and Hofstra. Since then he's shot 0-12(Minnesota), 4-12(Vandy), 5-12(UNC-Asheville), 3-12(College of Charleston), and 2-9(Illinois) from the field. That's 24.5% over his last 5 games.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote