Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #301
Balldog
Pro Rookie

When FSU plays VA Tech, will either team score 30?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #302
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Big 10 might lock it up here in the PU/VT game. Wisconsin put away NC St easily. Iowa had an 18 point lead against Wake yesterday and got beaten, and then Minnesota missing key players and they lost their game which they PROBABLY would not have normally.. at home no less. This could have been a pretty dominated challenge for the Big 10 but the ACC has made something of it instead.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #303
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rick Barnes, after notching overall career win #500 last week, gets career win #300 at Texas in a 76-55 win over Lamar.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #304
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton has their 40 game non-conference home winning streak snapped against E. Tennessee State. They're not a BAD team by any stretch, but after starting 5-0, Dayton has gone in the tank with a 34 point road loss at Cincinnati and a 7 point loss to the Bucs last night.

Team is still looking for a leader to LEAD them in key situations. Was widely considered that it would be Senior All-American candidate Chris Wright, but he has been frankly awful this year. UD fell down 13-2 early, came back to lead by 7 in the first half, but gave up another big run to open the 2nd half and never recovered.

Time for the Flyer Faithful to ratchet down those expectations. Never a fun time at the ol' UD message boards, that's for sure.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #305
MJ4H
Coordinator

Thankfully, Arkansas beat Oklahoma last night. Showed some flashes of looking pretty decent. The chemistry on this team is much better than the past few seasons have been, but the team is still pretty rough around the edges. Hopefully they can continue improving and we can build on the #2 ranked recruiting class coming in next season. Not expecting to be world-beaters this year, but just hoping for more progress. Last night was a good sign.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #306
Logan
Head Coach

Watched a good amount of the Indiana-BC game last night. Indiana made a nice run at the end there but fell short. BC's Reggie Jackson really impressed me, hadn't seen him before this game.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #307
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. Was happy to see that IU was in it for most of the game. Things got away from them a bit at the end.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #308
Izulde
Head Coach

82-51 win for UNLV in their first road game of the season @Illinois State. Nice balanced effort all around from the box score. Most interesting stat for me was Karam Mashour playing 10 minutes and getting 5 points. Still not ready to contribute in a regular rotation, but at least he's getting some garbage time.

Reno up next on Saturday and if we don't kill the Wolfpack, I will be very angry.

Edit: Oh and we broke out the black unis for the first time since '99. They looked pretty damn cool IMO.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 12-02-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #309
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Going to have to stay up late tonight. Tigers are playing the Ducks out in Oregon at 11:00 EST. Hopefully they can rebound from their first loss with a strong showing on the road.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #310
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Going to have to stay up late tonight. Tigers are playing the Ducks out in Oregon at 11:00 EST. Hopefully they can rebound from their first loss with a strong showing on the road.

I'm not in basketball mode yet, but I might have to stay up as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #311
Logan
Head Coach

After a tying 3 by UCLA with about 7 seconds left, Kansas gets bailed out after gathering a loose ball off a strip and gets a foul call with tenths of a second left on the clock. Heading to the line...
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #312
MrBug708
Head Coach

ahaha
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #313
Logan
Head Coach

Kansas hits the 1st, misses the 2nd on purpose...game over.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #314
MrBug708
Head Coach

I didnt actually think they would call the travel, but I can't imagine a world where they would have called that a foul, with no time left when two guys dived for a loose ball
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #315
Logan
Head Coach

Probably when one guy actually gathered the ball and another ran into him as he made an effort to get a shot off.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #316
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I didnt actually think they would call the travel, but I can't imagine a world where they would have called that a foul, with no time left when two guys dived for a loose ball

Welcome to the world Mizzou fans have to endure year after year where KU can do no wrong. Total screwjob on UCLA.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #317
MrBug708
Head Coach

I've watched that play run over a dozen times and I'm still not sure what the foul was on. The only contact made by the UCLA player was the ball at the same time it was in the lap of the Kansas player and the momentum taken by the Kansas player allowed him to keep going with the ball. He is trying to put up the shot and you can see the UCLA player with his hands already in the air...

*shakes head*
Old 12-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #318
MrBug708
Head Coach

And a baaaad Oregon team took Mizzou to the wire
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #319
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yep we were up 22 at the half and I went to bed. (i wake up at 5 so those 8 PM West Coast games are not fun) Looks like Mizzou almost pissed this one away. Seems to be this team's m.o., they are young and go in spurts. Definitely going to make this season interesting and hopefully they pull it all together for conference play.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #320
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Probably when one guy actually gathered the ball and another ran into him as he made an effort to get a shot off.

Yeah. Looked like a foul to me. But what else do I expect out of this thread.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #321
MrBug708
Head Coach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEh8f45FJI8

The only time they bumped into each other was before any sort of shot and the ball was loose
Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #322
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEh8f45FJI8

The only time they bumped into each other was before any sort of shot and the ball was loose
Is the debate about whether it was a foul, or whether it was a shooting foul?

Because there was clearly a foul there, but I'd say it wasn't a shooting foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #323
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA's player got to the ball first, no way can that be a foul, especially with less than a second left in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEh8f45FJI8#t=10s

Freeze it at the 11 second frame
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #324
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
UCLA's player got to the ball first, no way can that be a foul, especially with less than a second left in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEh8f45FJI8#t=10s

Freeze it at the 11 second frame

Uhhhhh okay...

Kansas player with hands on the ball, UCLA player reaching with one hand. How exactly did UCLA player get to the ball first?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #325
Logan
Head Coach

For further effect, here's more of the 11 second mark:

Which team's player has the ball in his stomach and which team's player has an arm in there with his other one hanging out there?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #326
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like two players hustling for a loose ball. How you can call that on any player, much less the UCLA player, is still a travesty. I also said UCLA's player was first to the ball, not that he ended up with the ball

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #327
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like two players hustling for a loose ball. How you can call that on any player, much less the UCLA player, is still a travesty. I also said UCLA's player was first to the ball, not that he ended up with the ball

And one of them winning.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #328
wade moore
lolzcat

Bug, you're just wrong on this one. From the footage I'm seeing, it's a clear foul on UCLA. Two players hustle for the ball, no foul is called. The Kansas player gets the ball, then the UCLA player bumps/grabs him, THEN the foul is called.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #329
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
And one of them winning.

And his direction changing subsequently.

Bottom line, the first UCLA defender made a great (clean) play swatting that ball out of Kansas' hands and it ended up costing them unfortunately.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #330
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
And his direction changing subsequently.

Bottom line, the first UCLA defender made a great (clean) play swatting that ball out of Kansas' hands and it ended up costing them unfortunately.

Because he was trying to draw the foul on a shot on a play where there wasn't a foul. Smart play by the Kansas player.

It really shouldn't have been that much time left because after the made three pointer, the Kansas player never was totally out of bounds when he in-bounded the ball.

Either way, UCLA took Kansas to the wire and while it should have been an OT game, I can live with the progress the team has made with their performance in the game. Taking the nation's 4th ranked team to the wire and almost ending their home winning streak was pretty good from my POV

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-03-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #331
Logan
Head Coach

Dude, you're out of your mind. Let it go.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #332
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Because he was trying to draw the foul on a shot on a play where there wasn't a foul. Smart play by the Kansas player.

It really shouldn't have been that much time left because after the made three pointer, the Kansas player never was totally out of bounds when he in-bounded the ball.

Sounds like someone knows when they've lost and decided to shift the argument.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #333
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Sounds like someone knows when they've lost and decided to shift the argument.

Nope. There is some talk of Ben Howland filing a formal protest. Not that it will change much, but at least it will be on record.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #334
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Nope. There is some talk of Ben Howland filing a formal protest. Not that it will change much, but at least it will be on record.

So an unbiased source agrees with you, got it.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #335
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

The body shot he gave his assistant when he exploded with rage had slightly less impact than the foul call.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #336
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
So an unbiased source agrees with you, got it.

I agree with him also but I do think my hatred of KU makes me somewhat biased.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #337
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
The body shot he gave his assistant when he exploded with rage had slightly less impact than the foul call.

I think the water bottle suffered a bit more
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #338
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

But there's little question that Mizzou is a top 15 team and Oregon is still a very bad team.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #339
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think I'm just going to stay out of the KU-UCLA one

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #340
Radii
Head Coach

Every time Harrison Barnes has touched the ball since the 8 minute mark something bad has happened immediately. I am not at all impressed.

Still though, UNC-Kentucky has been fun to watch and I'm happy with the fight UNC is putting up. Zeller and Henson have both improved a lot since last season.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #341
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Looked to me like that call could have went either way.. and well.. they are in Kansas
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So UNC beats #11 Kentucky 75-73 in what reads like a darned good game.

That said, if the ESPN pbp is correct, the Heels last made FG was at 6:46 and Kentucky hit only 2 shots from the floor in the final 9:59, both of those coming in the final :51 secs. Carolina scored 16 of their last 20 from the line, which weren't all have-to's by UK, the Cats led until the final minute.

It just looks, I dunno, a little strange when you see it on paper.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #343
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The way you write that makes it sound like the exchange took 10 seconds. It's a bit of a stretch to say he "ran into him as he made an effort to get a shot off". It was a loose-ball grazing.

And that "foul" is called all the time in basketball, so I don't think it was a bad call (probably shouldn't have been a shooting foul though), but that kind of "foul" is one of the things that makes basketball occasionally so irritating to watch.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #344
Radii
Head Coach

Big win for North Carolina. After poor FT shooting all day they hit what they needed to in the final minute. Tyler Zeller with 27 points/11 boards/5 blocks and huge from the free throw line in the last 5 minutes, he has gotten SO much better down low. I'm happy enough that I won't even point out all the things I hate about Larry Drew today
Old 12-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #345
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That said, if the ESPN pbp is correct, the Heels last made FG was at 6:46 and Kentucky hit only 2 shots from the floor in the final 9:59, both of those coming in the final :51 secs. Carolina scored 16 of their last 20 from the line, which weren't all have-to's by UK, the Cats led until the final minute.

The last 7 or 8 minutes of the first half and first 15 minutes of the second half were a lot of fun to watch. Things slowed down a LOT in the final five minutes.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #346
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Wish the Cats could have held on, but I liked the effort from both teams. Congrats, Heels.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #347
rjolley
College Starter

Thought the Butler-Duke game would be a no contest for Duke, but Butler is playing very well, even with 3 starters out of the game for various reasons. 60-54 Duke with about 8 to go.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #348
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The way you write that makes it sound like the exchange took 10 seconds. It's a bit of a stretch to say he "ran into him as he made an effort to get a shot off". It was a loose-ball grazing.

And that "foul" is called all the time in basketball, so I don't think it was a bad call (probably shouldn't have been a shooting foul though), but that kind of "foul" is one of the things that makes basketball occasionally so irritating to watch.

I don't know that the officials called it a shooting foul. Kansas was in the double bonus so it would have been two shots no matter what kind of foul. My thoughts on the game were that it was just a poorly officiated game on both ends of the floor. Honeycutt was the best player on the floor by far and Smith was a load down low. If they can get Smith's endurance up he could be a very good player for Howland. Though looking at Smith's previous numbers it seems he has a penchant for fouling. It will be interesting to see how UCLA fares in the Pac 10 this year. They should be one of the better teams, but I would have thought that the last couple of years as well with Howland's recruiting.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #349
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Thought the Butler-Duke game would be a no contest for Duke, but Butler is playing very well, even with 3 starters out of the game for various reasons. 60-54 Duke with about 8 to go.

Bulter played really well. They left me wondering how they lost to Louisville and Evansville. I think Mack is going to make a decent pro.

I feel for Matt Howard. He plays the same way I always have. Play hard and give it everything and foul out in the process.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #350
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have had a crazy past few days in real life, so I was unfortunately unable to watch the UCLA-KU game. I would tend to agree with the view that it was a tight play, and that the call made, if it had to be made, was probably the right one.

That said, I think it was an awful decision by the ref to call such a tight and relatively ticky-tacky foul so close to the end of the game. He essentially decided the game with that call. Not saying he's wrong to call it, but in a sport where a foul can probably be called on every play and it's up to the refs to call which ones, I would like to think they would let the players on the floor decide the game at that point, rather than calling a foul on a move which could not possibly have ended up as a basket unobstructed.

In any case, it was a terrific game by both teams and certainly UCLA can take some pride from taking KU down to the wire at Allen Fieldhouse. It's certainly something to build on for a UCLA program in need of some positive growth after last season's debacle.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote