Eh, somewhat disappointed 7 6.73%
Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #351
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That's better than my setup and I'm doing fine on medium graphics.

Thanks. With my previous laptop I got to where I decided to get games on the 360 instead of the laptop as it would overheat relatively quickly. Finally made the jump at the new laptop last month as a birthday present for myself (but still didn't go with a budget buster one).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #352
frnk55
High School Varsity

I do agree the interface isn't the greatest but I'm using mouse and keyboard and it works just fine. I couldn't imagine using a controller but that's me.
Maybe I'm old school.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #353
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, it works. But I do hope a mod overhauls the UI as it's clearly lacking.

I would also like a mod to get rid of the Google Earth type map. Kind of ruins the immersion for me. Give me a more old school, "cloth like" map. I might just be weird, though.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #354
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do it. I gave in over the weekend.

But I just picked up MW3, I have Assasin's Creed coming on Tues, have FM2012, and will be picking up FM2012 for my iPad. Gaming is out of control at the moment.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #355
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
But I just picked up MW3, I have Assasin's Creed coming on Tues, have FM2012, and will be picking up FM2012 for my iPad. Gaming is out of control at the moment.
Yes, life is good.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #356
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Yes, life is good.

LOL
Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #357
BYU 14
Coordinator

Ended up getting a new PS 3 since the video chip was fried on the old one, so just got to fire this up for a couple of hours today.

I picked up the guide as well which gave me a 20% discount on the game at Best Buy, over 650 pages!!! Holy shit this game is huge.

First impressions are good, the graphics are extremely nice on the PS 3 and it is enough like Oblivion in terms of commands that I felt comfortable fairly quick. Rolled a Wood Elf Thief/Archer type and just at the beginning of Embershard mines and I can already tell this is going to take most of my gaming time.

One funny thing during the fight to escape the city, we were fighting imperial guards on a bridge. I swung at one and he moved backwards to evade my blow and ended up going over the side and falling to his death in the creek below, good stuff!

Question for PS 3 players, is there a way to toggle weapons I am missing, without having to hit select, go into items and switching between bow and sword? I checked commands in the options and didn't see anything.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-13-2011 at 07:47 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #358
Izulde
Head Coach

Nope no weapons toggle that I'm aware of, but it doesn't bother me to just hit circle and go into items to change up weapons and armor (I sneak around in very light armor, then change up to heavy armor if fighting starts) as needed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #359
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Ended up getting a new PS 3 since the video chip was fried on the old one, so just got to fire this up for a couple of hours today.

I picked up the guide as well which gave me a 20% discount on the game at Best Buy, over 650 pages!!! Holy shit this game is huge.

First impressions are good, the graphics are extremely nice on the PS 3 and it is enough like Oblivion in terms of commands that I felt comfortable fairly quick. Rolled a Wood Elf Thief/Archer type and just at the beginning of Embershard mines and I can already tell this is going to take most of my gaming time.

One funny thing during the fight to escape the city, we were fighting imperial guards on a bridge. I swung at one and he moved backwards to evade my blow and ended up going over the side and falling to his death in the creek below, good stuff!

Question for PS 3 players, is there a way to toggle weapons I am missing, without having to hit select, go into items and switching between bow and sword? I checked commands in the options and didn't see anything.

You mean other than to "favorite" them?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #360
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
That's better than my setup and I'm doing fine on medium graphics.

Better than my system and I'm running on high with a few tweaks.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #362
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Grrr
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #363
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe you guys have an idea.. The graphics are ok on my machine (can run high with no issues) however, my mouse control is just off. Seems like looking left and right is ok, however the pointer seems to drag in some screens and I don't have any speed really looking up/down. Tried tweaking mouse settings in the control panel and on the mouse... Is this all mouse related or something else?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #364
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

This is the best gaming experience I've had in a long time (and I had trouble getting into Oblivion). This game is awesome, definitely blows away Arkham, any of the FPS games, and it caused me to set Uncharted 3 aside despite the fact that I'm addicted to that series.

This one is a big wow.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #365
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

You can hotkey things (Weapons, armor, items) onto the Dpad on the 360. I assume it works the same on ps3.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #366
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Maybe you guys have an idea.. The graphics are ok on my machine (can run high with no issues) however, my mouse control is just off. Seems like looking left and right is ok, however the pointer seems to drag in some screens and I don't have any speed really looking up/down. Tried tweaking mouse settings in the control panel and on the mouse... Is this all mouse related or something else?

The mouse sensitivity is definitely less for moving up and down than it is for side to side. I put the mouse sensitivity all the way up and it's still not as high as I usually like it. Not sure if there's anything that can be done (until, hopefully, mods fix it). I got used to it though.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #367
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

For some reason it has mouse smoothing turned on by default and seems to override system settings on it. Follow instructions here on how to disable both mouse smoothing and vertical sync.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim tweaks improve graphics, disable Vsync, change FOV and more | PC Gamer

I also changed my FOV to 90 when I turned off mouse smoothing, not sure if that helped too. I mentioned it early in the thread, for some bizarre reason the y axis mouse sensitivity is tied to frame rate which can make it different from the x axis sensitivity. No idea why they'd do that, hopefully it gets patched out soon.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #368
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The mouse sensitivity is definitely less for moving up and down than it is for side to side. I put the mouse sensitivity all the way up and it's still not as high as I usually like it. Not sure if there's anything that can be done (until, hopefully, mods fix it). I got used to it though.

You can change the x and y axis mouse sensitivity separately in the .ini settings, I'd didn't do it and would have to look it up. I've read it helped for some people, but as I just posted disabling mouse smoothing and vertical sync should help.

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comme...better/c2yyjrd

Quote:
At the end of your Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Skyrim.ini file, add:
[Controls]
fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0200
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0200

You may have to tweak the numbers until you discover what works for you.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-13-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #369
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Made the jump. Early on I would say the mouse control really sucks. I'll toy around with those settings tomorrow but a little surprising that the default controls "out of the box" would suck that badly.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #370
mckerney
Coordinator

On the technical side there's nothing amazing about Skyrim's graphic, you definitely don't need a top of the line machine to run it. Even the ultra settings aren't on the level of some recent release and there are quite a few low quality textures. The style and art direction are fantastic though and do a lot to add to the open world atmosphere.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #371
sabotai
General Manager

Thanks mckerney.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #372
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
You mean other than to "favorite" them?

I might be misunderstanding this feature, I thought this just had to do with which weapon you preferred to use and not equipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
You can hotkey things (Weapons, armor, items) onto the Dpad on the 360. I assume it works the same on ps3.

Can't see this anywhere in commands, do you just select a direction and then add a weapon?
Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #373
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Started playing. No clue how to pick a character. I generally play a rogue in most of these games (neither warrior nor mage), but not using archery - wondering if I should do a playthrough with something like the High elf or Redguard instead.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #374
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Started playing. No clue how to pick a character. I generally play a rogue in most of these games (neither warrior nor mage), but not using archery - wondering if I should do a playthrough with something like the High elf or Redguard instead.

What race you choose doesn't seem all that important, as far as I can tell there are only minor difference in the starting skill levels of different abilities.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #375
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I might be misunderstanding this feature, I thought this just had to do with which weapon you preferred to use and not equipping.

Can't see this anywhere in commands, do you just select a direction and then add a weapon?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #376
RainMaker
General Manager

How many hours do you think this game has in it?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #377
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

All of them.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #378
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Depends on how you play. You could probably blow through the main story in 3-5 or ignore it and spend hundreds of hours doing other things.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #379
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
All of them.

You win!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #380
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Depends on how you play. You could probably blow through the main story in 3-5 or ignore it and spend hundreds of hours doing other things.

I don't know. Don't you think the game has preventative measures for this? SUch as the monsters you have to fight in the main quest line get really hard so you have no choice but to do more side quests and follow other paths before you can do each story leg? I know that it may not be the case but after oblivion, you/'d think Bethesda would learn
Old 11-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #381
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know. Don't you think the game has preventative measures for this? SUch as the monsters you have to fight in the main quest line get really hard so you have no choice but to do more side quests and follow other paths before you can do each story leg? I know that it may not be the case but after oblivion, you/'d think Bethesda would learn

I read that in QA testing the best time was a little over two hours, but I'm sure now that it's out it won't take long for people to find the glitches necessary to complete the main quest line in 5 minutes.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #382
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Why would you want to do that though? I never even finished Oblivion. And I never even finished Red Dead either. I love just wandering around in these Open World games and screwing around.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #383
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Why would you want to do that though? I never even finished Oblivion. And I never even finished Red Dead either. I love just wandering around in these Open World games and screwing around.

No idea who would just go through the main storyline, though I can certainly see speed runs being fun for people.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #384
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Spoiler

Sorry, am I being an idiot here? does this always happen?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #385
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Spoiler

Sorry, am I being an idiot here? does this always happen?

Spoiler
Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #386
Izulde
Head Coach

Red Eagle Quest spoiler question

Spoiler

Old 11-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #387
Izulde
Head Coach

dola,

Frustration spoiler above aside, I continue to be amazed at just how much this game has sucked me in. I planned to do a Dark Brotherhood Quest and go eat supper. 5 hours later, I still had not done said quest and hadn't eaten supper because I got wrapped up in doing other quests that came along.

I can't remember the last time I got this hooked.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #388
Izulde
Head Coach

trola,

Going to get food now.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #389
SackAttack
Head Coach

I started my game over after finally feeling like I knew wtf I was doing.

Second time around, I'm discovering quests in the first NPC town I didn't know about...like the crafting quests with Alvor.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 AM   #390
sabotai
General Manager

Steam says I've played this game for 27 hours....I want to make it 28 but I have to get up early for work....damn stupid work!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #391
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've got two arrows sticking out of my head and I can't seem to remove them.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 AM   #392
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Yea, it works. But I do hope a mod overhauls the UI as it's clearly lacking.

I would also like a mod to get rid of the Google Earth type map. Kind of ruins the immersion for me. Give me a more old school, "cloth like" map. I might just be weird, though.

What specifically do you want changed in the UI? For me the only part that seems pretty bad is the skills/perks area on the PC - it's just really awkward to have to click a dozen times to move left or right to a specific skill. I would prefer to be able to mousewheel to a specific skill, then use WASD or something to go to the specific skills - it looks cool but is annoying.

The rest of the UI I don't have much of a problem with - the tab and then directional thing is annoying but I only use that when I level up, the rest of the time I just use I, M, J, P to go directly to particular areas.

I personally love the look of the map, but that's just personal taste.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #393
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Made the jump. Early on I would say the mouse control really sucks. I'll toy around with those settings tomorrow but a little surprising that the default controls "out of the box" would suck that badly.

welcome to the cult.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #394
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

welcome to the cult. Races that are better suited for rogues are Argonian and Dark Elf, and if you want to go archery-wood elves start with a bonus there.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #395
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

It's the Skyrim fashion accessory all adventures die to try to get-you should feel quite stylish really! Lots of people in the forums posting about that-don't think there's a fix for it, but could be wrong.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #396
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

Those used to go away when you healed and/or repaired your armor, but since we can't repair armor anymore ...

Are the arrows in your head or are you wearing a helmet? If so, have you tried removing the helmet to see if the arrows go with it?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #397
Drake
assmaster

Anybody on the PC seeing issues crop up where textures aren't loading and you get the purple, blobby meshes instead? A quit-to-main-menu and reload fixes it, but I always seem to have a texture or two fail to load -- sometimes it's trees, sometimes a particular set of clothing/armor, sometimes an animal. I haven't found any duplicate experiences by Googling, and it's definitely not the low-res texture issue some 360 users are reporting. This is a complete failure to load.

It could be that I just need to update the drivers on my nVidia gt540 (I think...sorry, laptop is at home). Er, or I could go back to the non-tweaked ini files.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #398
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Red Eagle Quest spoiler question

Spoiler

It is real, I have it myself though I only tucked it away in my home. You should have been able to loot the body, iirc.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #399
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Thanks CF
Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #400
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
What race you choose doesn't seem all that important, as far as I can tell there are only minor difference in the starting skill levels of different abilities.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed a big difference either. I'm a Redguard warrior but it truly doesn't seem like race mattered much other than some of the random dialogues on the streets.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote