Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #351
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'd absolutely buy this if McQueary found documented proof that Sandusky was embezzling money or something like that. Take it to your superiors, let them handle it. This is just on a whole other level, and not only involves children but the safety of the college community in general.
Considering the Jimbo quote you posted, I think I'm pretty close to your viewpoint overall. I don't know why McQueary chose the route he did, I just don't think his decision to go that route was based on concern for his coaching future and ability to get hired at other schools like Molson said. Keep his job at Penn State maybe, but I doubt other schools would look at it and blackball him like they would if he blew the whistle to the NCAA on recruiting violations.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #352
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Multiple people reporting that Paterno will announce that he is retiring at the end of the season.

Good luck with that.

ESPN has got the story too:

Penn State Nittany Lions' Joe Paterno to retire at end of season - ESPN
Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #353
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, if it came down to a battle of credibility between McQueary and Sandusky, maybe McQueary figured he'd lose that one (not knowing, I guess, about the 1998 allegation and thinking if it's just a one-time thing, there's no way I can prove it happened). And if the "authorities" took Sandusky's word over McQueary's, he'd have to leave the job. And then you're a 28-year old guy who wants a future coaching football, and what anyone knows about you is you wrongfully accused another, well-respected football coach of child molestation and yeah...I think you can worry about your future.

Had he immediately done something, of course, Sandusky would have had a hard time explaining what was going on, and if they did an exam on the kid, they'd find the truth even if he wasn't willing to talk. But overall, I can see where McQueary's thought process might have gone. Still doesn't excuse letting this go, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #354
King of New York
High School Varsity

From Paterno's statement: "With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more."

Really? With the benefit of hindsight? I take that to mean: if I had known that people were going to find out what we all did and did not so, I would have actually done something to help the victims and to stop Sandusky.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #355
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
When I heard they were adopted, though, I immediately got queasy.
Same, from the experience of a family that I was quite close to in Tucker. Respected family patriarch was a pillar in the community. He get accused of child molestation by someone who he coached at the local YMCA 20 years ago. His two biological daughters and the rest of the family rally around him in support, until word reaches the one adopted son.

He had molested the adopted son for over a decade, and he had never come forward. He was in his 30s, and came forward then. Everything collapsed like a house of cards. But yeah, point being, because I'm very familiar with a situation where a man molested his adopted son (and likely adopted with that intent,) that red flag jumped up for me immediately.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #356
Ksyrup

Quote:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa.

The following is Penn State coach Joe Paterno's statement that he'll retire at the end of the season.

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can. This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #357
Ksyrup

Quote:
At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address.

The cynic is me reads this as a PR-driven comment meant to diffuse the Board taking any further action against him, as in, "I've pre-empted your discussions about firing me - I'm leaving, you're getting what you want - so just let it go."
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #358
Logan
Head Coach

"I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can" except for leaving now and significantly reducing the media exposure for the next two months.

That hindsight comment is disgusting, especially when you know it was written by PR types for legal reasons. If he said "I wish I had done more" and left it at that, the school is even more fucked.

Last edited by Logan : 11-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #359
Logan
Head Coach

The more I see how Paterno is handling this, the more I think our opinion of him could get much, much worse.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #360
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The cynic is me reads this as a PR-driven comment meant to diffuse the Board taking any further action against him, as in, "I've pre-empted your discussions about firing me - I'm leaving, you're getting what you want - so just let it go."

This

"YOU CAN'T FIRE ME, I QUIT!"
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #361
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

That asshole doesn't get the convenience of waiting until the end of the year to retire. He should be fired, and if he isn't, the people that could have fired him should be fired. Or all of them shot, either way.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #363
Ksyrup

The more I think about this, the more I'm positive they saw the writing on the wall and decided last night to pre-empt his firing by trying to retire. The real question now is, whether the Board has the guts to call his bluff and still move forward with discussions of firing him or at least removing him from his on-field duties until his retirement is effective. Because beyond the whole "we can't let Paterno go out in disgrace" thing, is the simple fact that for the next 4-6 football games, and for 2 months or so, this is going to be a media circus. And also from a safety perspective at games, it wouldn't shock me in the least if people bring batteries and signs to the games, and start chants, etc., which would absolutely get out of hand. It's just a disaster, PR nightmare, and potential riot/violent incident waiting to happen.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #364
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
That asshole doesn't get the convenience of waiting until the end of the year to retire. He should be fired, and if he isn't, the people that could have fired him should be fired. Or all of them shot, either way.

Quote:
Kelvin Sampson got fired for texting recruits, you know.

Twitter
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #365
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:
"I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can" except for leaving now and significantly reducing the media exposure for the next two months.

That hindsight comment is disgusting, especially when you know it was written by PR types for legal reasons. If he said "I wish I had done more" and left it at that, the school is even more fucked.

Yeah, Paterno is looking more and more like a gigantic piece of shit. With that statement, he is essentially saying, "Hey, I'm Joe Paterno and I am leaving on my own terms, whatcha' going to do about it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #366
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
The more I think about this, the more I'm positive they saw the writing on the wall and decided last night to pre-empt his firing by trying to retire. The real question now is, whether the Board has the guts to call his bluff and still move forward with discussions of firing him or at least removing him from his on-field duties until his retirement is effective. Because beyond the whole "we can't let Paterno go out in disgrace" thing, is the simple fact that for the next 4-6 football games, and for 2 months or so, this is going to be a media circus. And also from a safety perspective at games, it wouldn't shock me in the least if people bring batteries and signs to the games, and start chants, etc., which would absolutely get out of hand. It's just a disaster, PR nightmare, and potential riot/violent incident waiting to happen.

At the very least, why hasn't he been placed on administrative leave pending the investigation?

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #367
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Yeah, Paterno is looking more and more like a gigantic piece of shit. With that statement, he is essentially saying, "Hey, I'm Joe Paterno and I am leaving on my own terms, whatcha' going to do about it?"
...and his contract runs out after this season anyway. Big flippin' deal. Of *course* they weren't going to renew his contract.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #368
dave731
High School JV

Of all the crap I have seen coaches get fired (or lost their job over) this seems like a no brainer.

Sampson fired for texting/calling recruits and lying about it.
Neuheisel got canned for partaking in a March Madness pool.
George O'Leary with a beefed up resume at Notre Dame.
Even Bruce Pearl inviting a recruit over to his house for a BBQ and lying about it...

ALL FIRED!!

Joe Paterno knew about Sandusky and the allegations against him and kept it under wraps to protect the Penn State family. Sandusky was allowed on campus in contact with the kids AFTER THE FACT for crying out loud. It's insanity that JoePa gets to stay for the rest of the season. As a coach, I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I wouldn't alert authorities. I guess if Sandusky and another adult were caught in the act and I was notified, I would have at the very least called in the athletic director and released Sandusky from the program for conduct alone. It just seems like a bizarre scenario that the police or feds weren't notified. The only reason for no action is to cover it up...which is despicable.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #369
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
Of all the crap I have seen coaches get fired (or lost their job over) this seems like a no brainer.

Sampson fired for texting/calling recruits and lying about it.
Neuheisel got canned for partaking in a March Madness pool.
George O'Leary with a beefed up resume at Notre Dame.
Even Bruce Pearl inviting a recruit over to his house for a BBQ and lying about it...

ALL FIRED!!

Joe Paterno knew about Sandusky and the allegations against him and kept it under wraps to protect the Penn State family. Sandusky was allowed on campus in contact with the kids AFTER THE FACT for crying out loud. It's insanity that JoePa gets to stay for the rest of the season. As a coach, I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I wouldn't alert authorities. I guess if Sandusky and another adult were caught in the act and I was notified, I would have at the very least called in the athletic director and released Sandusky from the program for conduct alone. It just seems like a bizarre scenario that the police or feds weren't notified. The only reason for no action is to cover it up...which is despicable.

You make good points. I can't believe that he'll be allowed to coach this weekend, let alone for the rest of the season.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #370
corbes
College Benchwarmer

My view is that allowing him to finish the season out of respect for his stature in the community would perpetuate exactly the kind of thinking that got PSU into this mess. Obviously further investigation is warranted, and i don't see why he should not be put on immediate administrative leave pending that investigation.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #371
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Anyone who isn't willing to do it in a heartbeat is at best an incredibly weak-willed and weak-minded person, at worst a monster. I've never been in the situation with family, but I have been in it with a friend in a case where I felt about 95% sure that he was NOT guilty of anything. He wasn't just a friend, he was a guy I'd hired in ministry and was very much enjoying training and mentoring him. A few months after I hired him, he was accused of sexual abuse of a teenaged male. The accusation was not credible to me at all for a variety of reasons, but you can never be sure, so I reported it to the police and called my superiors, a move which I knew would have him placed on immediate leave of absence. I lost one of my best leaders, fractured the relationship, and probably ruined any chance that he'd ever come on full-time staff. As expected, he was exonerated by the police. But you don't mess around with physical or sexual abuse allegations. Ever. Period.

In the time I was in youth ministry, more of the allegations of physical or sexual abuse (whether by parents or by one of my volunteers or staff) that came to my attention turned out to be false or unsubstantiated than true. The one "true" one didn't result in even an arrest, let alone a conviction. (The frustrated mother DID slap her 15-year-old daughter in the face, causing her to run away and try to spend the night with one of my female leaders. But when the cop talked to both mother and daughter that night one-and-one and then together, she had them both apologizing and hugging, and everyone went home to their own beds before 11pm.) But that doesn't matter. You report to the police first, deal with your "feelings" about it later.

I agree. I have had to make some very difficult calls to child protection and have never regretted it even when there was bad fallout or it wasn't substantiated.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #372
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I actually have the youth Coaching Linebacker DVD where he appears with one of the victims. I will have gone from taking notes and saying, "genius", to being physically ill when he moves and pushes the kid around.

As a youth coach, I know how much these kids look up to their coaches. It is a real and unforgivable sin to abuse this situation where you can make a life better. I have been coaching for 7 years, and still get emails and phone calls from almost every player. There has never been a sports story that has made me more sick at heart than this.

How do you know it's one of the victims?

EDIT: Never mind, I just read the part of the indictment which mentions that.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 11-09-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #373
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
My view is that allowing him to finish the season out of respect for his stature in the community would perpetuate exactly the kind of thinking that got PSU into this mess.
That's an excellent point.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #374
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
My view is that allowing him to finish the season out of respect for his stature in the community would perpetuate exactly the kind of thinking that got PSU into this mess. Obviously further investigation is warranted, and i don't see why he should not be put on immediate administrative leave pending that investigation.

Agreed, it seems that the top 2 priorities for Penn St. are STILL - protect Paterno's legacy, and try to look the best we can. At some point both have to be considered lost causes, right?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #375
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Once again a Seinfeld ep comes to life - pity the poor Ravens announcer, Gerry Sandusky.

And one of Sandusky's biological sons is director of player personnel for the Browns....That's the like second tier of victims, after the direct victim. Family, friends, everyone who's ever supported you - ilife sucks for them, because Sandusky's screwed them too, just not as literally.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #376
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ben_Jones88 Ben Jones

Graham Spanier out. Should be interesting to see how the students react after the meeting tonight.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #377
Ksyrup

Thanks for the cover, guys!

@Andy_Staples: So Oregon has done an NCAA document dump and UCF has canned the AD and the WR coach. Now is the time to release bad news.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #378
molson
General Manager

So the board of trustees can simply vote the president out, it's as simple as that. Reports say he told that would happen unless he resigned.

Anybody know if they can do the same with Paterno, simply vote him out today if they were so inclined? If they have the power to do that and don't, it's really on them if we get that circus for the rest of the season.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #379
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Thanks for the cover, guys!

@Andy_Staples: So Oregon has done an NCAA document dump and UCF has canned the AD and the WR coach. Now is the time to release bad news.

More and more loving the college football landscape.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #380
molson
General Manager

Well, time for Syracuse to finally come clean about all the corpses they buried in the Carrier Dome foundation when it was built. Now's the time to put that out there.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #381
dave731
High School JV

Today's Outside The Lines is going to be a breakdown of the events of the scandal. An analyst was just on talking about it and said that what the grad asst. said to Paterno is what this entire thing hinges on. My take is that if the grad asst. said anything that involved Sandusky in the shower with a 10 year old boy...regardless of any other conduct...red flags/sirens should have gone off in Paterno's eyes and ears.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #382
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave731 View Post
Today's Outside The Lines is going to be a breakdown of the events of the scandal. An analyst was just on talking about it and said that what the grad asst. said to Paterno is what this entire thing hinges on. My take is that if the grad asst. said anything that involved Sandusky in the shower with a 10 year old boy...regardless of any other conduct...red flags/sirens should have gone off in Paterno's eyes and ears.

Let me help you:

Quote:
"As my grand jury testimony stated," Joe Paterno said in the statement, "I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators."
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #383
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Let me help you:
Yeah, and this is by his own admission, so it's a given that whatever McQueary said to Paterno was that, or worse. Very likely at least a *little* worse, if not a lot.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #384
thesloppy
Pro Starter

....and even if he could claim some kind of monumental ignorance/confusion/mis-communication at the time, it should become obvious that Sandusky may have raped some kids, when you're giving testimony at his grand jury investigation for raping kids. The fact that dude was still romping around the facilities as recently as a week ago, while all of these folks were actively giving sworn grand jury testimony in his years-long child rape case, kinda shoots everybody's plausible deniability in the foot, doesn't it?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #385
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Penn State is the Catholic Church
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #386
Ben E Lou

Not good enough, Joe | Philabuster | 11/09/2011
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #387
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Oh my:

Westboro Baptist Church to protest Penn State game
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #388
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Penn State is the Catholic Church

Seriously? This shit happens in all areas of life, in every denomination. The Catholic church gets the press because of how incredibly large it is.

Regardless of where this happens, it is terrible and disgusting, and although I am Catholic and will stick up for the Catholic church, I will never condone this shit and would report it no matter who is doing it.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #389
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Man, I'm not sure who to root for, the asshats supporting JoePa, or the asshats who are always asshats.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #390
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Uhh, at least one of the victims has come forward against Sandusky. Pretty sure this is more than "a bunch of rumors".

I'm not saying the that the allegations are true, but rumors and hearsay is mixing in. Not so much in to the actual allegations of the molestation themselves, but the story of the cover-ups, Sandusky's recent activity, and the "What is happening with Paterno?" watch.

Paterno needs to go NOW. It's embarrassing to the entire Penn State family that he is allowed to stay. I can't imagine it's a good message to send out to donors, recruits, and future students and facility that you want to try to bring in.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #391
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Seriously? This shit happens in all areas of life, in every denomination. The Catholic church gets the press because of how incredibly large it is.

Regardless of where this happens, it is terrible and disgusting, and although I am Catholic and will stick up for the Catholic church, I will never condone this shit and would report it no matter who is doing it.

Well, at least you now understand how and why some PSU alums and fans feel the way they do about their program today. Some take an attack on a program as a personal attack on themselves.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #392
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Well, at least you now understand how and why some PSU alums and fans feel the way they do about their program today. Some take an attack on a program as a personal attack on themselves.

I guess the big difference here (outside of football vs. religion) is that I don't recall ever hearing or seeing a bunch of Catholics rallying outside a priest's house.

I understand how PSU students/alumni can feel betrayed, but to support Paterno when he clearly was in the wrong here befuddles me.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #393
Kodos
Resident Alien

As far as pure vileness goes, the Catholic Church is still ahead of PSU because of the number of victims involved.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #394
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Seriously? This shit happens in all areas of life, in every denomination. The Catholic church gets the press because of its recent involvement in covering up scandals exactly like this one.

Fixed that for you. I don't believe the size of the church has anything to do with a joking comparison to Sandusky State...err Penn State. Oh and agreed about the whole every denomination as well as the rest of your post here.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #395
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Oh and my assessment of the situation.."Say it ain't so Joe".

I've always been a Paterno fan, and would hold up the PSU program as the way "it" should be done when it comes to treating the players as people first before athletes. With this, and his statement today with the victims or whatever they say bit, I've got to say that he's got to go.

He's got to go before Saturday.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #396
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Lol...they never disappoint. Somehow, i never see them coming, even though every time something terrible happens, here comes the wetboro church!!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #397
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 11-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #398
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Fixed that for you. I don't believe the size of the church has anything to do with a joking comparison to Sandusky State...err Penn State. Oh and agreed about the whole every denomination as well as the rest of your post here.

Fair enough, although I would argue that the longevity as well as the millions of members of the Catholic Church invariably has a lot to do with it. But, you are correct in that they cover the shit up too, which is deplorable.

Anything that involves abuse to children just makes my blood boil.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #399
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Heh. They will need to change it to something like this:

Quote:
Penn State is a Division 1 institution who has been rocked with a child abuse scandal but was never investigated or sanctioned for any major NCAA infractions.

Think about this as you make your college decision. Former Coach Paterno's saying "Success with honor" means nothing here. It is not something we take seriously.

Think anywhere else (except for Miami, Ohio State, USC, UCF (just added), Auburn, and most other D-1 schools,

The Guy Who Replaced Coach McQueary

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 11-09-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added UCF for clarity
Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #400
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Board of Trustees needs to vote at their meeting tonight to remove Joe Pa as head coach. They're removing Spanier and should do the same to Joe. Any other coach would have been forced out days ago. If you've watched Penn State's games this year Joe just sits up in the booth without a head set. He doesn't talk to anyone and might as well be taking a nap. Fire him.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote