Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #151
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Heard one "insider" claim that the Saints were offering Manning/Brady money, and that the two sides were still "far apart" That would indicate Brees was looking for significantly more than an inflation increase over that.

Then he's dreaming.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #152
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Drop Brees, sign Manning, win a SB with home team, he can retire.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-01-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #153
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pretty bummed to see Hines Ward go and I'm not sure that I understand it unless he has unrealistic salary demands (and reports had been that he was willing to come way down). He is certainly to the player that he once was the Steelers actually have a need for a 4/5-type of receiver (with Wallace, Brown, and Sanders all with 3 or fewer years of experience) and they have historically carried 1-2 veteran guys at the position.

Maybe they are planning to resign Cotchery, but it seems like he would be more expensive and they are close to the cap already.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #154
JPhillips
General Manager

About time Ward got blindsided.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #155
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

My buddy just texted me saying Peyton Hillis is thinking about retiring and joining the CIA?? Is my buddy high or is this something seriously being discussed?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #156
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe he meant Tiger Woods and joining the Navy SEALs.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #157
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
My buddy just texted me saying Peyton Hillis is thinking about retiring and joining the CIA?? Is my buddy high or is this something seriously being discussed?

profootballtalk.com says he thought about it last season. I don't think it is anything current.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #158
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Eagles franchise DeSean Jackson.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #159
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The Eagles franchise DeSean Jackson.

In other words the Eagles are going to underachieve again next year and basically ignore the real problem the team has. They had a chance to make a statement to the rest of the team that their attitudes need to change instead talent wins out. I think Deshaun would have been addition by subtraction personally.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #160
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
In other words the Eagles are going to underachieve again next year and basically ignore the real problem the team has. They had a chance to make a statement to the rest of the team that their attitudes need to change instead talent wins out. I think Deshaun would have been addition by subtraction personally.

I agree with this, plus is he really worth the average of the top 5 guys? IMO they should have let him walk.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Adam Schefter reporting that up to 25 guys will be franchised this year, which is 11 more than the previous record.

Brent Grimes was the first player in Falcons franchise history to be tagged.

Just off the top of my head, these moves(among many others) are expected-
*Desean Jackson-Eagles
*Grimes-Falcons
Anthony Spencer-Cowboys
Hicks/Brees-Saints
Forte-Bears
Rice-Ravens
Lynch-Seahawks
Goldson-Niners
*Tyvon Branch-Raiders

Last edited by stevew : 03-02-2012 at 11:49 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #162
miked
College Starter

I hear Bowe will be franchised by KC too.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #163
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints defense being investigated by NFL for putting bounties out on players from other teams.

Considering how hard the defense sucked last year, that's pretty surprising news. How about before you start paying bounties, you make sure you have the whole "keep the other team from scoring" thing down?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #164
Logan
Head Coach

According to Schefter, it goes back to 2010 "targeting QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner".

"NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program. Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline. NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches. Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices." (pieced together tweets)

Really, you documented this thing?

Last edited by Logan : 03-02-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #165
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
According to Schefter, it goes back to 2010 "targeting QBs such as Brett Favre and Kurt Warner".

"NFL security determined between 22 and 27 defensive players on the Saints, as well as at least one asst. coach, maintained a bounty program. Investigation reviewed 18.000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages. Commissioner Goodell will determine the discipline. NFL determined that former Saints DC Gregg Williams administered the program with knowledge of other defensive coaches. Discipline for the Saints could include fines, suspensions and forfeiture of draft choices." (pieced together tweets)

They did appear to be taking some shots on Favre in the championship game that many considered dirty. Also, Adrian Peterson has called them out more than once for being a dirty team and he seldom says anything negative about another team.

But yeah, documenting that is pure stupid. Now I only wonder if any of the bonuses handed out messed with their cap standing.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #166
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Re documentation: What's that Simpsons line where Jimbo says something like "Videotaping our crime spree is the best idea we've ever had!"

Anyway, I'm a huge Saints fan, but if this really happened, the team needs to be punished. "No bounties on players" is one of those bright-line rules. If you are stupid enough to do it, you deserve the punishment you get.

St. Louis has got to be wondering if hiring Gregg Williams was such a smart move.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #167
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The Saints' 2010-2011 "bounty" program under ex-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is being characterized by the NFL as a "pay for performance" plan that awarded defenders $1,500 for "knockouts" and $1,000" for offensive players the opposing team was forced to cart off the field.

The Saints would often target a particular player, which reminds of Williams' comments to inflict "remember-me shots" on Brett Favre and Peyton Manning in 2010. Players "regularly" put money into a cash pool and received payments when they successfully injured opponents. New Orleans is already without a 2012 first-round pick, so the NFL could begin taking away additional draft choices this year and a first-rounder in 2013. Expect discipline to be harsh. It will be discussed further at the league's meetings in March.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #168
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola

Now in New Orleans defense, they did spend the entire 2011 season not targeting the QB at all so maybe that self imposed penalty will suffice.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #169
Rizon
Pro Starter

New Orleans Raiders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #170
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time reviewing documents to see if people say stupid things, you would be surprised at how often people document really dumb things. Most of the really bad stuff tends to be emails, since people don't always thinking before writing them and they tend to stick around for a long, long time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #171
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

50K pages of documents? That's about fifty pages of paperwork per Saints player per week dedicated just to bounties.

More like the New Orleans Readers, not Raiders.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #172
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Schefter tweet: A safe prediction: Saints will be disciplined far worse than the Patriots were for Spygate.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #173
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
About time Ward got blindsided.

He wasn't. He knew this was coming.

Still, it's been a bit of a sad week in Steelerland with Ward, Farrior and Smith cut (along with Kemo and Battle). None of the cuts are difference-makers on the field - only Farrior was a part time starter - but 3 of those guys epitomized the blue collar ethic that helped the Steelers win two Super Bowls. They're all considered Pro's Pros - character guys with great work ethics, who played at a very high level (all 3 were All Pros) who left it all on the field. As such, it's sad to see three of those kind of guys go in the same off-season.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #174
JPhillips
General Manager

There are also problems with the CBA and salary cap if they're giving out money.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #175
Grover
Pro Starter

Mike Nugent franchised. Whoo!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #176
DeToxRox
Head Coach

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the NFL has determined that MLB Jonathan Vilma was one of the primary culprits in the Saints' "pay for performance" bounty program that will result in NFL discipline.

"In the week of the NFC Championship Game," Schefter said on NFL Live Friday, "Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma put $10,000 in cash on a table and said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'" Those weren't Vilma's exact words, but they were similar, according to Schefter, and he's sure to be atop the league's target list for impending discipline. It's worth nothing that Vilma is due $5.4 million in 2012 and has been discussed as a possible salary cap casualty. We wouldn't expect him back with the Saints.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #177
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, Louise. Giving bounties to knocking out players? 50k pages of documents detailing such? I mean, what did they have different amounts you could "win" depending on the stats of the person you knocked out?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #178
Kodos
Resident Alien

I always liked Ward. I hope he can prove the front office wrong and have another productive year or two. Come down to Miami and catch some passes from a guy named Peyton!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #179
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hope Tracy Porter isn't involved with any of this. One of my favorite guys, being a former Hoosier.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #180
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the NFL has determined that MLB Jonathan Vilma was one of the primary culprits in the Saints' "pay for performance" bounty program that will result in NFL discipline.

"In the week of the NFC Championship Game," Schefter said on NFL Live Friday, "Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma put $10,000 in cash on a table and said 'this goes to the guy that knocks out Brett Favre.'" Those weren't Vilma's exact words, but they were similar, according to Schefter, and he's sure to be atop the league's target list for impending discipline. It's worth nothing that Vilma is due $5.4 million in 2012 and has been discussed as a possible salary cap casualty. We wouldn't expect him back with the Saints.

You can take a player out of The U. But you can't take The U out of a player.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #181
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Both the NFL writers I follow (Schefter, Peter King) are saying they expect that the Saints will face penalties that START past what the Pats faced for Spygate (a first round pick taken away) and could be SIGNIFICANTLY harsher, because they found out about it, told the Saints to stop it and the players apparently ignored it,
Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
He wasn't. He knew this was coming.

Still, it's been a bit of a sad week in Steelerland with Ward, Farrior and Smith cut (along with Kemo and Battle). None of the cuts are difference-makers on the field - only Farrior was a part time starter - but 3 of those guys epitomized the blue collar ethic that helped the Steelers win two Super Bowls. They're all considered Pro's Pros - character guys with great work ethics, who played at a very high level (all 3 were All Pros) who left it all on the field. As such, it's sad to see three of those kind of guys go in the same off-season.

So glad they cut that fat retard Kemo.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #183
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I always liked Ward. I hope he can prove the front office wrong and have another productive year or two. Come down to Miami and catch some passes from a guy named Peyton!

Hines is my favorite Steeler player since Mean Joe Green, but I really believe he's done on the football field. He can catch the ball, but he gets zero separation now, so there's no way to get the ball to him. He's not big enough to be a great end-zone target. As such, he's a liability to his team. Yeah, he can still block on running plays, but if you call a pass you can have a LB cover him and the safety doesn't even have to glance twice in his direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

+1

I've been saying for two years that Foster is the better guard anyway. When you add in Kemo's predilection for late hits, dumb penalties and generally poor fitness, he's been one of the poorest performers on a bad OL the last 24 months.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #184
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate that they decided to bring back Colon. I never saw how he was so good, and he's been hella injury prone the last two years. It must have been them trying to make it work one more time since they foolishly gave him an extension already.

Gilbert has to play LT next season, he better be ready.

They still need to get rid of/replace Hampton. He's done.

Last edited by stevew : 03-02-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #185
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Both the NFL writers I follow (Schefter, Peter King) are saying they expect that the Saints will face penalties that START past what the Pats faced for Spygate (a first round pick taken away) and could be SIGNIFICANTLY harsher, because they found out about it, told the Saints to stop it and the players apparently ignored it,

Exactly like sending a letter to all the NFL and Belichick ignoring it.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #186
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah and the defenders are using the same argument that everybody does it.. but one hes to do with doing an allowed activity from an unhallowed location.. and the other gave bonuses for players taken out on the cart at a time when the nfl is under fire for player health issues
Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #187
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #188
RedKingGold
College Starter

BTW, when they're saying "50,000 pages of documents", I don't think they mean specific documented proof by the Saints that "we agree to pay x to kill y." It's probably stuff like bank documents, media claims (like Adrian Peterson), witness statements.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #189
Dutch
"Dutch"

Right, that's more like a FOIA type collection so they can look for proof.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #190
JPhillips
General Manager

Franchise tag for Fred Davis?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #191
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post

lol
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #192
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hines is my favorite Steeler player since Mean Joe Green, but I really believe he's done on the football field. He can catch the ball, but he gets zero separation now, so there's no way to get the ball to him. He's not big enough to be a great end-zone target. As such, he's a liability to his team. Yeah, he can still block on running plays, but if you call a pass you can have a LB cover him and the safety doesn't even have to glance twice in his direction.

This. Witness the end of the season, forcing the ball to him on bubble screens and, for catch #1000, a shuffle pass, for a 3 yard loss, because that was the only way to ensure he not have a defender right on top of him.

It's sad, but it's time to move forward. Selfishly, I want him to get cut in another team's camp, and return to Pittsburgh to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Quote:
+1

I've been saying for two years that Foster is the better guard anyway. When you add in Kemo's predilection for late hits, dumb penalties and generally poor fitness, he's been one of the poorest performers on a bad OL the last 24 months.

I'm betting in typical Kemo fashion, he started cleaning out his locker just before the announcement was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hate that they decided to bring back Colon. I never saw how he was so good, and he's been hella injury prone the last two years. It must have been them trying to make it work one more time since they foolishly gave him an extension already.

Gilbert has to play LT next season, he better be ready.

They still need to get rid of/replace Hampton. He's done.

I think Hamp is back by default. I personally have no problem with moving Hood to NT. Yeah, he's not Hampton, but 1) it gets Heyward on the field more at DE and 2) stopping the run just isn't that important anymore. It's like having the newest, coolest beeper in a word of smartphones. Sure it's the best at what it does, but it's no longer needed.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #193
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Exactly like sending a letter to all the NFL and Belichick ignoring it.

Exactly what I thought of.

Not sure how this is "so much worse" when in either case you can point out similarities through both. Goodell's decision should be the same as last time - make his judgement, then destroy all the evidence before it can be questioned further.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #194
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

People are going to make the Spygate analogy, but that the two situations have little in common.

The Saints took out bounties on other players and tried to injure them. That's disgusting on a human decency level--it goes beyond football and is much much worse than videotaping opponents.

That said, it did not affect the outcome of any games. The Saints did not receive any material advantage from that unworthy scheme.

Spygate was not as disgusting, but it got right at the heart of the competitive nature of the game. There's basically half-a-decade of NFL and Super Bowl history that was mis-written by the Pats. Would Peyton Manning have four Super Bowls by now? Would Kurt Warner have two?

So, they seem to have little in common. From a football perspective, Spygate was worse. From a decent human being perspective, Bountygate was worse.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #195
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry, the thought that it "miswrote Five years of history" is ludicrous.

"videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

That's all they did. They did something that was not illegal in a place they shouldn't have. Admittedly, they continued to do it after getting the letter from the league (to all teams) that they were not to do it, but comparing the two as equal is ridiculous.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #196
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That said, it did not affect the outcome of any games.

You would have to go back, watch games, and see what kind of injuries happened.

Last edited by Matthean : 03-03-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #197
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
but comparing the two as equal is ridiculous.

I agree. My thesis is that people want to compare the two, but that they are not comparable. The Patriots cheated. What the Saints did is systematic uncivilized behavior. I think that the punishment should be harsh and unambiguous.

But I also think that Spygate certainly had a big effect on NFL history. The Pats thought that it was worth doing after being directly told in writing not to. They got fined a first round pick for it, and Goddell thought that it would just be better to destroy the evidence.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #198
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Loomis has done a lot to destroy the Saints this offseason. Now that they have franchised Brees, Nicks and Colston are gone. Colston is pretty overrated but Nicks leaving is huge. How they couldn't work out a deal with Brees is astounding to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #199
DeToxRox
Head Coach

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the league will hand down its punishment in the Saints' "bounty" scandal before the March 26-28 owners' meetings.

A ruling could reportedly come as early as next week. Although it's unclear what the league's punishment will be in an unprecedented case, the loss of New Orleans' 2013 first-round pick and the suspension of former DC Gregg Williams are both good bets. Massive fines and additional docked picks are also likely.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #200
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
People are going to make the Spygate analogy, but that the two situations have little in common.

The Saints took out bounties on other players and tried to injure them. That's disgusting on a human decency level--it goes beyond football and is much much worse than videotaping opponents.

That said, it did not affect the outcome of any games. The Saints did not receive any material advantage from that unworthy scheme.

Spygate was not as disgusting, but it got right at the heart of the competitive nature of the game. There's basically half-a-decade of NFL and Super Bowl history that was mis-written by the Pats. Would Peyton Manning have four Super Bowls by now? Would Kurt Warner have two?

So, they seem to have little in common. From a football perspective, Spygate was worse. From a decent human being perspective, Bountygate was worse.

I guess this is where I fall. I don't look to the NFL to guide my moral compass. You can be disgusted by what the Saints did as a person, but to the NFL, Spygate should seem worse.

I don't understand how the NFL can say this is worse than a team willfully disregarding a league mandate to quit something that, theoretically, impacted the competitiveness of the teams.