Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #2101
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
"". For some reason, the team cutting the guy is a-ok, but the player complaining? Outrage.

My understanding was that MJD asked for a front-loaded contract as injury protection, got it, and is now griping again 60% of the way through it despite having $9+million coming over the next two years. That's not the same at all.

NFL contracts are generally pretty evenly balanced: yes, the team can cut you at any time, but you also generally get a decent chunk as a bonus that you keep regardless of how you perform or if the team cuts you. The only time the team gets some of the bonus back is for off-the-field conduct that prevents you from meeting the terms, like going to prison or whatnot.

That's why I'm fine with the team cutting players (they got their bonus) and get annoyed with players that complain (you agreed to sell your rights to the team for a certain number of years for a certain amount of money). MJD is more interesting, because he specifically asked for a front-loaded contract so he'd have his injury protection, and now is whining because he's only the 8th-highest paid RB and will ONLY make $4.5 million this year. Play out the year, then try to negotiate an extension in the final year. It's not like he was grossly underpaid in this contract and has somehow outplayed it, he proved he was a good back, got his money, and is now complaining just as RBs hit their declining years. I've got news for you, you probably got your big contract, and should be happy you are getting $4.5 million.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #2102
miked
College Starter

I thought most of these contracts were front-loaded for a) cap reasons and b) if you a RB and get a back-loaded deal, what's the stop the team from cutting you in year 3 or 4 before the 10M seasons kick in. Most of these contracts are made like this, with 2-3 crappy years tacked on, so teams can spread the bonus, reduce the cap hit and reneg it after that. If I were him I'd be pissed too. He led the league in rushing last season despite a dismal QB and the new owner came in and told him to take a hike if he wanted to be paid.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #2103
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I thought most of these contracts were front-loaded for a) cap reasons and b) if you a RB and get a back-loaded deal, what's the stop the team from cutting you in year 3 or 4 before the 10M seasons kick in. Most of these contracts are made like this, with 2-3 crappy years tacked on, so teams can spread the bonus, reduce the cap hit and reneg it after that. If I were him I'd be pissed too. He led the league in rushing last season despite a dismal QB and the new owner came in and told him to take a hike if he wanted to be paid.

If Jones-Drew cashed the bonus check, then he locked himself in. The Jags wouldn't have gotten any of that bonus money back if he blew out his knee on the field two years ago.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #2104
gstelmack
Pro Starter

$4.5mil a year is crappy? This seemed like a pretty reasonable contract actually.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #2105
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeesh. From Peter King's MMQB this morning:

Quote:
Another story showcasing these fine, upstanding men in the striped pajamas, aka the replacement officials: I cannot say which game this story happened in, but I can tell you it did happen. Final preseason game for two teams. Official calls defensive pass-interference in front of the penalized team's bench. Head coach lambastes the official. Official picks up the flag, tells the coach he's not going to make the call. Coach is stunned.

Imagine what will happen when something's actually at stake.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #2106
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old Navy shirt incorrectly gives title to Houston Texans - ESPN

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #2107
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
$4.5mil a year is crappy? This seemed like a pretty reasonable contract actually.

It's about 9th in the league for RBs in terms of base salary and not in the top 10 for average salaries. In terms of the guaranteed money, it was nowhere near what other RBs pulled in, which makes me think it was a ploy to get a reduced hit and then reneg in future years. I mean, the dude got 17M guaranteed (9M bonus and his first two seasons at 4M guaranteed). So, while 17M for 2 years is quite good, 21M for 3 starts (what he's been paid so far) is about on target, but 24M for 4 puts him well below his peers.

Like I said, I'm usually in favor of players when they aren't getting 30M and then going back 2 seasons later (cough..Revis) since GMs can terminate without paying them at any time. But clearly this contract was designed to be a 2-3 year deal that would be renegotiated. They haven't used any of their cap space to bring in talent that would help, plus he led the league in rushing despite a shitty QB and coach.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #2108
korme
Go Reds

Can I just say that I am genuinely excited to watch Vontaze Burfict
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #2109
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Can I just say that I am genuinely excited to watch Vontaze Burfict

+1. Great preseason, looks like Marvin and Zim have his head screwed on straight.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #2110
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

When Moch gets off his suspension, I'd love to see some 3-4 looks with him and Johnson as the OLBs and Maualuga and Burfict in the middle.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #2111
Passacaglia
Coordinator

He can't say which game it was in? Sounds like there may be replacement journalists, too.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #2112
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Brian Banks gets a 2nd chance.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/157821785.html

Banks accuser ordered to pay - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

I don't think he will ever see a dime of the award but to paraphrase a former Hurricane, I hope the authorities pursue this woman with the same intensity that they pursued Mr. Banks
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote