Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #351
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Did MLB hire Bobby Valentine to coach the Red Sox in order to put some air back into the Sox/Yankees rivalry? Because he seems to be going overboard poking at the Yankees for stupid reasons, like he's purposely picking a fight. I wonder if his salary is being supplemented by the Boston/NY media.

I hate that stuff. For whatever reason, I have been as disinterested in spring training baseball this year as I've ever been in my life, and it's annoying that the only time I really hear about baseball stuff is when he's doing something stupid. I don't even care if he's got a supposed good reason for doing it, I don't want to hear about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #352
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bobby V definitely has the empty suit tough guy routine down.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #353
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Did MLB hire Bobby Valentine to coach the Red Sox in order to put some air back into the Sox/Yankees rivalry? Because he seems to be going overboard poking at the Yankees for stupid reasons, like he's purposely picking a fight. I wonder if his salary is being supplemented by the Boston/NY media.

I hate that stuff. For whatever reason, I have been as disinterested in spring training baseball this year as I've ever been in my life, and it's annoying that the only time I really hear about baseball stuff is when he's doing something stupid. I don't even care if he's got a supposed good reason for doing it, I don't want to hear about it.

He's still bitter from being the manager of little brother when he was in New York...
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #354
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Having Bobby V, at least personality-wise, is lose-lose for me. If he stinks, as I expect, the team stinks. If he's good he sticks around. Wish Tito were back.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #355
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I seem to remember a bunch of various coaches, players, etc, coming into Boston and believing that they have to say something bad about the Yankees to get accepted or something. Usually it's a token comment in an interview or something, but of course, Bobby V is going to go overboard with everything. It's silly, I'm sure there's some portion of the Red Sox fan base who love that stuff and like to pretend that the second a guy puts on a Red Sox uniform he suddenly hates the Yankees, but to most people it just comes off as goofy.

It could be an informal directive from ownership, who of course coined the "evil empire" term. Those guys think they're so savvy and know everything about the Boston fans, even though I remember them coming to town so sure that every Red Sox fan considered Fenway Park a shrine that should never be tampered with, when in reality, most those who actually go there to watch games recognize what a dump it is, and welcomed the upgrades and would love a new stadium even more.

Last edited by molson : 03-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #356
Ksyrup

Wha

Aaron Gleeman@AaronGleeman
Joba Chamberlain, who was already rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, dislocated his ankle jumping on a trampoline
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #357
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think Bobby is trying the Rex Ryan route, putting all the press on him and (hopefully) ceasing chicken and beer talk.

We all know how well Rex is doing, right?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #358
Ksyrup

Since my girls are so heavily into softball, I've spent a fair amount of time the last few years watching softball at various levels of competition. And as a baseball history buff, one of the things I can relate to about softball is the old-timey feel of the way they use their pitching staffs. There are no pitch limits, no innings limits, no major studies suggesting that throwing underhand has near the effect on the arm as overhand pitching does (although I have read about a correlation between pitching and back injuries in women in their 20s). So softball pitching staffs are basically built like baseball pitching staffs from the pre-1900 era. You've got maybe 4-5 girls who can pitch, and 1-3 of them who pitch the majority of the innings. And usually, 1 girl is the ace and starts 50-70% of the games. And the ERAs are absurdly low (at least for the good teams).

I am reminded of this today after reading the following:

Quote:
In the first game of the doubleheader that saw Alabama’s win streak end, After throwing nearly 200 pitches in the contest sophomore Jackie Traina took matters into her own hands as she belted a two-out, walk-off home run to lead Alabama to a thrilling, 3-2, 11-inning victory.

Traina (16-0) muscled her way to the complete game victory, allowing two runs — one earned on nine hits while tying a career-high with 15 strikeouts. The extra-inning win is the second of the season for Traina and the Tide as she went all nine innings in the win at Kentucky.

Alabama's played 27 games, and Jackie Traina is 16-0 with a 1.03 ERA. She and the other starter have combined to pitch 142 of the team's 178 innings. I feel like Old Hoss Radbourn should be coaching this team.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-23-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #359
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Those guys think they're so savvy and know everything about the Boston fans, even though I remember them coming to town so sure that every Red Sox fan considered Fenway Park a shrine that should never be tampered with, when in reality, most those who actually go there to watch games recognize what a dump it is, and welcomed the upgrades and would love a new stadium even more.

Disagree on the bolded. Upgrades/renovations sure. Build out the stands to fit more people by building them back or up or something...sure. But don't touch the playing surface/boundaries (the walls, the angles, etc).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #360
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Basically the same thing I'd like them to do to Wrigley, or close to it. Gut the entire place, keep the scoreboard, the ivy, and maybe a couple of other things. Rip it all out and turn it into a Non Dump.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-23-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #361
Ksyrup

Joba's ankle injury was an "open flesh wound." FUCK that sounds horrible.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #362
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

"Your foot's off!"

"No it isn't."

"What's that there, then?"

"...it's a flesh wound!"
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #363
PilotMan
Head Coach

Two words.

Jaime Moyer

He's about the only thing in baseball that doesn't make me feel old. Who can't love a 49-year old, who is, even as an incredible long shot, still an outside chance for 300 wins, and possibly the last one ever?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #364
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Disagree on the bolded. Upgrades/renovations sure. Build out the stands to fit more people by building them back or up or something...sure. But don't touch the playing surface/boundaries (the walls, the angles, etc).

The angles/boundaries/etc are cool but I think they could be transported to a place where all the seats face the right direction. And where leaving your seat for any reason isn't at least a 2 inning commitment.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #365
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

See, this is what happens when you don't let your players get drunk in the clubhouse. Take note, Bobby V!

Bobby Jenks arrested on DUI, more - CBSSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #366
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Got a kick out of reading this:

The 100 Worst Baseball Players Of All Time: A Celebration (Part 1)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #367
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

Definitely enjoyable.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #368
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Apparently he lost so much blood, that it was considered "life threatening" by the paramedics on the scene.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1049622
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #369
JPhillips
General Manager

It sounds like he damn near ripped his foot off.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh damn. That's a horrible injury. It's not like he was going to be needed to anything more than lock down the 6th inning, but I hate to see a player get hurt that badly.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #371
Ryan S
Quarterback

Given the crazy amount of health and safety rules around everything these days, you wonder how someone could get hurt so badly at a kids play area.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #372
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
He's still bitter from being the manager of little brother when he was in New York...

What do you think he did when he was in New York? This behavior is entirely unsurprising from the perspective of a Mets fan. Gifted manager, but does some absolutely ridiculous crap and then gets everyone pissed at him.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #373
RedKingGold
College Starter

Tommy John paging Ryan Madson, Phillies dodge a bullet there.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 03-24-2012 at 01:32 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #374
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Son of a bitch.

If there is a bright side, this is the one part of the Reds organization they could at least have a decent replacement, but fuck.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #375
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Son of a bitch.

If there is a bright side, this is the one part of the Reds organization they could at least have a decent replacement, but fuck.

He barely through anything this winter. He was hurt before and they should be filing something with someone. That's horrible.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #376
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reds reportedly had no insurance coverage on Madson's deal. Awful if that is indeed true.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #377
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
He barely through anything this winter. He was hurt before and they should be filing something with someone. That's horrible.

Filing with who? They signed him as a FA, hell they should fire the team doctor who gave him the fucking physical. It wouldn't surprise me if it were Kremchek. IMO he's terrible.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #378
Suicane75
Coordinator

So who closes now?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #379
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Marshall or Masset probably.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #380
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

hearing Marshall mainly
Old 03-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #381
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones will have arthroscopic surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

Jones injured the knee Thursday when he slipped while stretching before batting practice. It also was just before his scheduled news conference, where he announced he was planning to retire after this season.

"We were talking on the field to get ready to go up for the news conference, he called (manager) Fredi (Gonzalez) in off the field to let him know he thought he had just injured his knee and it didn't feel right," Braves general manager Frank Wren said Saturday. "Just a strange coincidence."

And no, this is not from The Onion
http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/st...-knee-meniscus

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #382
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
hearing Marshall mainly

I would assume Marshall.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #383
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah when I read "open dislocation," I cringed in sympathetic pain. Even if he IS a Yankee, that just sounds amazingly painful.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #384
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Given the crazy amount of health and safety rules around everything these days, you wonder how someone could get hurt so badly at a kids play area.

I wonder if trampolines are explicitly mentioned in his contract. I believe I read once that a lot of pro athletes have statements in their contract that they can't do certain things (like ride a motorcycle), and if they do and get injured, then they have to forfeit some of their pay or something. As fun as trampolines are, they can be dangerous.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #385
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Madson was clearly hurt before signing, he didn't disclose it. The suit should be filed Monday morning.

What a fucker.

And yes...the doctor should definitely be fired.

I've always wondered about these cases, tho. If someone tells you they aren't hurt and have a vested interest in hiding that they are hurt, how does a doctor know? They just have a physical right? Or do they get like a full CT scan and MRI and everything? And even then- how hard is it to see a minor tear or something like that? I have no idea.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-24-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Madson was clearly hurt before signing, he didn't disclose it.

Now I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but ...

Dr. Kremchek explained to Jocketty that bleeding made it appear the tear was recent.

That pretty much seems like a statement that is either true or it isn't. And I have to think a second opinion could easily confirm whether or not blood was present, so if there's anything actually hinky here it ought to be easy enough for the club to determine the probability.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #387
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Now I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but ...

Dr. Kremchek explained to Jocketty that bleeding made it appear the tear was recent.

That pretty much seems like a statement that is either true or it isn't. And I have to think a second opinion could easily confirm whether or not blood was present, so if there's anything actually hinky here it ought to be easy enough for the club to determine the probability.

I had not heard that quote. So then they were stupid for trying to make him pitch through the pain.

There's nothing quite like the feeling that the season is already jinxed somehow.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #388
Ksyrup

Quote:
Madson was clearly hurt before signing, he didn't disclose it. The suit should be filed Monday morning.

What a fucker.

And yes...the doctor should definitely be fired.

This puts his strange contract negotiations with the Phillies in a new light...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #389
DeToxRox
Head Coach

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #390
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

awesome
Old 03-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #391
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love spring training

SI

Old 03-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #392
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looks like they may have dodged a bullet on Joba. A lot of the early reports, i.e. "Life Threatening," were exaggerations and he still might be able to contribute later this year.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #393
Easy Mac

It's Alive!
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #394
rowech
Pro Starter

What happened to Opening Day? The idea that the teams break camp, come home, and all on the same day the teams start playing for real.

Now we have two teams starting the season in another country. Then we get two teams starting the season in this country before anyone else. Then we get half the teams starting on Thursday. Then we finish it up with teams finishing things off on Friday.

Just dumb.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #395
Suicane75
Coordinator

While I echo your sentiments, I am also giddy that there's a real game coming up in just 2 days.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #396
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
It's Alive!

It needs some sort of carnival music to complete the picture

SI

Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #397
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What happened to Opening Day? The idea that the teams break camp, come home, and all on the same day the teams start playing for real.

Now we have two teams starting the season in another country. Then we get two teams starting the season in this country before anyone else. Then we get half the teams starting on Thursday. Then we finish it up with teams finishing things off on Friday.

Just dumb.

I'm ok with the Japan openers they've had a couple of times. In my mind, they're still very much the regular season but they're also quasi-exhibitions.

The "Opening Night" game, I'm not a huge fan of. It's just MLB throwing ESPN a bone. But having Opening Day spread out across a couple of days, that's happened for quite a while. Tho, it used to be most teams got to start on Monday while a few started on Tuesday instead of Thursday and Friday.

Silly note: I can't find the game on tv anywhere for tomorrow. That seems a bit odd for me. If it's even fake Opening Day, it needs to be readily available. What's the point of a major exhibition if no one can see it?

SI

Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #398
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Not a fan at all of the Japan opening series. If they want to play in Japan, that is fine, but couldn't they do it slightly closer to the start of the MLB season. Do they really need almost a week to get home? Couldn't they have done the series on Monday/Tuesday and still had them get back into their regular schedule on Friday?
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #399
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Not a fan at all of the Japan opening series. If they want to play in Japan, that is fine, but couldn't they do it slightly closer to the start of the MLB season. Do they really need almost a week to get home? Couldn't they have done the series on Monday/Tuesday and still had them get back into their regular schedule on Friday?

I would be looking for at least 3 days after the final game in Japan to totally get over the jet lag, and preferably a series against the same team.

Also, opening day in Japan is this Friday, so maybe playing games next week was not an option.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #400
molson
General Manager

I think I'm in the right part of the country to get get root sports/FSN Northwest or whatever it is (without blackouts), so regular season baseball at my house 3:10 AM tomorrow morning!

Last edited by molson : 03-27-2012 at 12:51 PM.