Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #251
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Of course the administration is going to say an internal investigation turned up nothing? Or were you hoping they would say that because he was arrested the morning of the Norfolk State game that is what caused the team to lose the game?

All I posted was "A MBBF is facing drug charges............................." which you quickly tried to frame as a non-story, something only Chip Brown would discuss. If it were Kansas as the school, I somehow think that your tone would be much different.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #252
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
You'd think the success that Mizzou athletics had this past year against the Horns might have tempered some of their Texas inferiority complex. Evidently not, when an article posted about someone with close ties to their basketball program being arrested for drug trafficking is rebutted by pics of football players and a throwaway comment about Chip Brown.

The obsession with such a meaningless throwaway program like Missouri from a Texas fan is what I find more amusing. Maybe your time should be better focused on trying to beat the K-State throwaway football program.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #253
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
The obsession with such a meaningless throwaway program like Missouri from a Texas fan is what I find more amusing. Maybe your time should be better focused on trying to beat the K-State throwaway football program.

Please explain how the facts of the case are different based on the affiliation of the school of the person who posts a link?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #254
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Please explain how the facts of the case are different based on the affiliation of the school of the person who posts a link?

MBBF does it and is rightfully called out on it by most of the board. (I usually pile on just becauses its Kansas much like you probably would if it was one of Texas's rivals.) You pull the same nonsense out about Missouri and then are shocked that that I call bullshit on you? Where did you find this on like page 100 of ESPN? I missed you posting in the football thread about the Texas arrests of actual players even though I know you only make these posts to "get people up to date" and not to troll just like MBBF.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #255
cartman
Death Herald

It was actually on the front page of ESPN.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #256
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think I'm getting more entertainment on panerds blind defense of a fellow fan. I know plenty of idiot Bruins and I don't see the need to cone to their defense
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #257
cartman
Death Herald

In the spirit of full disclosure, panerd is correct in the fact that I did not post when several Longhorns were recently arrested for disorderly conduct for not leaving a pizza place at closing time when an officer told them to leave. I was not aware that was at the same level as someone who had traveled with the team and had received tickets from players being arrested for drug distribution. My bad.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #258
digamma
Torchbearer

Raymond Longhorn Arrested.

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #259
cartman
Death Herald

Looks like I missed another one.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #260
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I heart cartman.

Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #261
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think I'm getting more entertainment on panerds blind defense of a fellow fan. I know plenty of idiot Bruins and I don't see the need to cone to their defense

Not exactly but I get your point. It would be more like a Bruin fan pisses people off so everyone on the board keeps posting negative UCLA stories all the time. I'm not defending MBBF in any of these threads but Mizzou. And IMO Cartman has become just as big of a troll as MBBF.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #262
cartman
Death Herald

Well, I guess if your first chance at equivalency fails, go the jbmagic approach and double down. If your next one doesn't work either, then maybe determining equivalency not for you.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #263
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, I guess if your first chance at equivalency fails, go the jbmagic approach and double down. If your next one doesn't work either, then maybe determining equivalency not for you.

Nah Hornsmaniac was an idiot troll. He was just made fun of for that. The entire board didn't post anti-longhorn bullshit in all of the college threads. Sorry that you have to stoop to the lowest denominator and become a troll in these threads because you are a great contributor in the other parts of the board. If you really think you aren't being a troll look up what you post in these threads. At least half is Mizzou bullshit so either you are just as bad of a troll as MBBF or you have a serious complex about Mizzou.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #264
cartman
Death Herald

You have on some serious blinders if you think I'm the only one/main one busting on MBBF in these threads. It just appears that you and he are especially sensitive as to when I do it as opposed to numerous others.

Last edited by cartman : 06-11-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #265
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Nah Hornsmaniac was an idiot troll. He was just made fun of for that. The entire board didn't post anti-longhorn bullshit in all of the college threads. Sorry that you have to stoop to the lowest denominator and become a troll in these threads because you are a great contributor in the other parts of the board. If you really think you aren't being a troll look up what you post in these threads. At least half is Mizzou bullshit so either you are just as bad of a troll as MBBF or you have a serious complex about Mizzou.

Panerd, even you have to admit that if it were Kansas then MBBF would be all over this story claiming the NCAA investigation is on it's way to Lawrence. There would be a pie chart and even a few of MBBF's "sources" who could invalidate anything despite the university doing their "due diligence". This is the same guy who claimed Mike Anderson was one of the classiest individuals in college athletics and then ran him down as soon as he took the Arkansas job. I'd love for MBBF to one day admit that every school in the country (including Missouri) has their problems and that harping on every little problem is just silly because we all live in glass houses.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #266
tarcone
Coordinator

Hey Now! Iowa doesnt have any......nevermind.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #267
spleen1015
Coordinator

Duke is perfect. I don't know what you are talking about.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Fun site for the stat geeks. Has stats going back 15 years from what I saw........

NCAA College Basketball Stats & Team Stats Leaders
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #269
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Fun site for the stat geeks. Has stats going back 15 years from what I saw........

NCAA College Basketball Stats & Team Stats Leaders
I like StatSheet for that info as well...
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #270
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The various academic scandals at UNC are slowly creeping in on the basketball program. Roy Williams had a routine press conference today and got several questions tossed at him about it, to which he repeatedly said that it wasn't a basketball issue. I wouldn't go so far as to believe that a massive storm is about to break against the most holy and sanctified program in the country, however. The utter lack of interest on the part of the UNC Board of Governors will ensure that nothing will happen unless it absolutely, positively, there-was-a-cover-up-and-people-died-to-maintain-it has to. Meanwhile, some State players sell shoes and tickets for money in the late 1980s and it's time to burn that program down. (No, I'm not bitter or anything. I'm over it. Really, I am....)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #271
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to believe that a massive storm is about to break against the most holy and sanctified program in the country, however.

It would be odd if a scandal happened at Duke following a Roy Williams press conference. *ducks*
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #272
spleen1015
Coordinator

NCAA deregulates texts, calls to college basketball recruits - ESPN

Is the NCAA getting smarter? Nevermind.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #273
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I can see a lot of coaches getting in trouble with a recruit by contacting them too much initially. Some of these kids get hundreds of mailings right now through the mail. Imagine taking that to the level of a text or phone call. We'll definitely hear some horror stories.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #274
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
The various academic scandals at UNC are slowly creeping in on the basketball program. Roy Williams had a routine press conference today and got several questions tossed at him about it, to which he repeatedly said that it wasn't a basketball issue. I wouldn't go so far as to believe that a massive storm is about to break against the most holy and sanctified program in the country, however. The utter lack of interest on the part of the UNC Board of Governors will ensure that nothing will happen unless it absolutely, positively, there-was-a-cover-up-and-people-died-to-maintain-it has to. Meanwhile, some State players sell shoes and tickets for money in the late 1980s and it's time to burn that program down. (No, I'm not bitter or anything. I'm over it. Really, I am....)

Why was Roy Williams holding a "routine press conference" in June?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #275
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Why was Roy Williams holding a "routine press conference" in June?

Because aside from the Carolina Railhawks NASL team, plus T-ball and some youth sports, there is ZERO sports action happening around here, so what else is the local sports press going to do but get coaches to hold "routine press conferences"?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #276
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I can see a lot of coaches getting in trouble with a recruit by contacting them too much initially. Some of these kids get hundreds of mailings right now through the mail. Imagine taking that to the level of a text or phone call. We'll definitely hear some horror stories.

I'd much rather have to deal with calls or texts, because with Caller ID, you can just ignore the ones you don't want to deal with. In the case of mail, sometimes they get mountains of mail that they have to deal with, even if it is just throwing it away.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #277
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
It would be odd if a scandal happened at Duke following a Roy Williams press conference. *ducks*

Trust me, I actually thought about flinging Duke into that somehow, but could figure out which one needed the insult more.

At any rate, for those out of the loop because the national media have kind of stopped looking into things after Butch Davis got fired, here's a summary article from the local newspaper today about what's been happening at UNC of late.

Granted, there's nothing here that says Roy explicitly told any of his players to take any of the courses that have been found to be nonexistent, but it's beginning to come out that some of the players did do so.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #278
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Should be a great summer for whoever lands Norvel Pelle. He's one of the last 2012 studs left. Looks like current schools under consideration are New Mexico, FSU, Mizzou, Memphis, and UConn. I know that Jordan Clarkson has already told the staff that he'll pay his way this year if Pelle signs with Mizzou.

Quote:
June 23, 2012
The LoboLair.com
Mark

In the short 5 years we have been doing this website, I don't think I have ever had a harder two weeks in getting an interview with a recruit. For the last two weeks Norvel Pelle and myself have gone back and forth and tried to align our free time to catch up. After a while I have to admit, the frustration was setting in. However, Norvel said "my fault for taking so long to get at you. I really, really, didn't mean to". That made the wait worth it.

After speaking with Norvel this evening its obvious that there is no contingency plans in his future. He plans on playing basketball in 2012 for a D1 college. "Everything is good. Everything is going to be on track, schedule to get my grades soon. Just need to finish up these classes". He replied "yes" when asked if he thought he would be eligible for 2012.

Up to this point Norvel Pelle has taken two official visits. One to New Mexico St and another to DePaul university. When asked how those visits went he replied "really good, I heard really good things about them school wise". I like what those schools have to offer" and also told me that "im just looking for the best situation as far as a school".

I asked Norvel what other 3 schools would get the last 3 visits. "Im not sure yet. Right now im going to sit down and figure that out". So it seems that Norvel is in no rush to pick his landing spot.

Figuring out who gets those finial 3 visits should be interesting with the list of suitors. Norvel told me hes hearing the most from "Memphis, Missouri, Uconn, UTEP, and Florida St" and also added that New Mexico is pursuing him hard as well. "New Mexico is calling" and then agreed with me when I asked if I UNM was pursuing him a lot. He also added that he would possibly take a visit to Missouri with one of the last 3 visits.

Overall it looks like it will come down to the wire and New Mexico looks to be sitting well with Norvel from our conversation tonight. We all know how fluid recruiting is and how things change on a daily basis. But as of tonight, I would put New Mexico's chances just as high as anyone else on that list when it comes to securing one of the final 3 official visits.

If he plays it anything like the time it took to get this interview, just sit back and enjoy the wait.

Anyone who lands Pelle will have enjoyed the process.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-25-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #279
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This has come as a shock to many in Big 12 country. Drug dealer who sat in courtside seats with KU players is busted for marijuana distribution. Furthermore, text messages on dealer's iPhone show that multiple KU players made drug purchases from the dealer.

Prosecutor says Overland Park man supplied marijuana to Kansas basketball players - KansasCity.com
Old 06-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #280
cartman
Death Herald

Sounds like he should have just taken flights with the team. Then no need to use phones.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #281
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
All I posted was "A MBBF is facing drug charges............................." which you quickly tried to frame as a non-story, something only Chip Brown would discuss. If it were Kansas as the school, I somehow think that your tone would be much different.

Quote:
This has come as a shock to many in Big 12 country. Drug dealer who sat in courtside seats with KU players is busted for marijuana distribution. Furthermore, text messages on dealer's iPhone show that multiple KU players made drug purchases from the dealer.

Prosecutor says Overland Park man supplied marijuana to Kansas basketball players - KansasCity.com

Too easy.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #282
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Too easy.

Other than one having nothing to do with the players/institution and the other situation involving direct evidence of players breaking the law, yeah, nothing to see here.

I'm guessing KU was trying to force its way into the SEC with this move. It won't work, beakers.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #283
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Looks like the KU ticket scandal may have come back to haunt the program. It appears that Rodney Jones, former assistant athletic director at KU, was the informant in the current marijuana distribution case. He gave the feds information about the dealer's distribution, including purchases by current and former KU players. In return, he received 46 months in jail when he could have faced up to 20 years in prison.

Here's the article on his recent sentencing in the KU ticket scandal........

Former KU athletics fundraiser Rodney Jones sentenced to 46 months in federal prison / LJWorld.com
Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #284
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Too easy.

I'm with you. I have always said I come across as defending MBBF but I just don't like all the Mizzou hate by everyone. My simple point being Hornsmaniac was a huge douche but we just called him on it instead of always going off on the Longhorns. Of course the post about KU was going to happen and it is just as meaningless to this thread as the Mizzou one.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #285
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Too easy.

I love how MBBF never even broached the Missouri players giving the cocaine dealed comped tickets to games. I'm sure those players weren't getting anything for those tickets, but hugs from a known dealer.

As for the Kansas news, is it really front page material that basketball players are doing weed? Is this really shocking?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #286
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm with you. I have always said I come across as defending MBBF but I just don't like all the Mizzou hate by everyone. My simple point being Hornsmaniac was a huge douche but we just called him on it instead of always going off on the Longhorns. Of course the post about KU was going to happen and it is just as meaningless to this thread as the Mizzou one.

Panerd, that's the difference between a fan and a hater. Guys like us are fans. We love our schools and love building them up to other people. MBBF would rather tear down another school to make his look better. FOFC could write a novel on some of the crazy claims MBBF has made. Heck, I could fill a whole chapter on how classy Mike Anderson is and then a second chapter on how Mike Anderson is scum. All using quotes from MBBF.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #287
cartman
Death Herald

Apparently the irony was lost on some folks in the original article I posted, when the very first words of the article were:

"A Missouri men's basketball fan"

With out that opening, the chances of posting the link to the article would have been greatly diminished.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #288
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have found that my time on the board has been much more positive since I put MBBF on ignore. I no longer get pissed off as much board and I don't find myself typing and deleting mean spirited, aggressive responses at all any more.

I think more folks should try it. It is easier to ignore him when you can't see what he is posting.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #289
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have found that my time on the board has been much more positive since I put MBBF on ignore. I no longer get pissed off as much board and I don't find myself typing and deleting mean spirited, aggressive responses at all any more.

I think more folks should try it. It is easier to ignore him when you can't see what he is posting.

His college basketball posting is infuriating, but I don't do it because I'm always wanting to read another gamers opinion. It's a give and take relationship.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #290
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I love how MBBF never even broached the Missouri players giving the cocaine dealed comped tickets to games. I'm sure those players weren't getting anything for those tickets, but hugs from a known dealer.

As for the Kansas news, is it really front page material that basketball players are doing weed? Is this really shocking?

It was never broached because it was made clear who gave the man the tickets on every occasion and it wasn't the players giving the tickets. It's a non-starter, but don't let that stop you from starting.

It's one thing if a kid is doing weed. It's a whole different situation if their using university resources (i.e. tickets) to acquire that weed.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #291
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It was never broached because it was made clear who gave the man the tickets on every occasion and it wasn't the players giving the tickets. It's a non-starter, but don't let that stop you from starting.

It's one thing if a kid is doing weed. It's a whole different situation if their using university resources (i.e. tickets) to acquire that weed.

According to this article, he was given complimentary tickets by one or more Missouri players on multiple occasions.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...e-for-comfort/
Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #292
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I love college basketball, and every time I see this thread bumped, I look forward to reading some new happenings in the sport. But I must admit it is dispiriting to me when I see that the poster making the post is a Mizzu or KU fan. Because it is almost certainly some kind of back and forth response at best only related to those programs, which does not interest me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #293
britrock88
Pro Starter

inb4 Mizzou contingent:

"Don't forget Texas fans in their continual plot to destroy the BIGXII!"
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #294
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ah, another sign the offseason is half over. Tip-off marathon schedule is released.......

ESPN Tip-Off Marathon schedule is here - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN
Old 07-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ah, another sign the offseason is half over. Tip-off marathon schedule is released.......

ESPN Tip-Off Marathon schedule is here - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Yup, saw Kansas-Michigan State was a part of it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #296
spleen1015
Coordinator

I would really like to hear that UNC's academic scandal involves not just the football program, but the basketball program as well.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #297
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anybody else's favorite team doing an overseas tour in August? Mizzou is heading out to the Netherlands in a couple of weeks. Should be interesting to get an early look at how the new players perform.

Mizzou Back To Practice July 23, Prepare For European Tour - MUTIGERS.COM - The University of Missouri Official Athletic Site
Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #298
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

UCLA's gonna be in China for 10 days in August.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #299
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
UCLA's gonna be in China for 10 days in August.

Good timing on that. Lots of new players who need that extra time to gel as a unit.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good timing on that. Lots of new players who need that extra time to gel as a unit.

Yes, it seems to be a good decision on UCLA's part. Considering they had been making some bad decisions at times the past few years, it was nice to see this one work out.

Plus, Howland's system is not one that comes naturally to players. It's a pro-style offense that is a lot more structured than most (which is one of the reasons why Howland players often seem to come to the NBA more able to step right in and play). So the extra time will help.