Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #3501
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Anyone who didn't get a launch day Switch having any luck finding it in any stores?

I got it through Amazon. They had like a 30min window last Friday when they had the gray Joy-Con system in stock for Prime members. Got it Sunday. Been playing it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The Switch leaves a good bit to be desired, but nothing about it is gamebreaking in my mind.

I disagree. The first day, when the Joy-Cons were not fully charged out of the box, being able to drop them into the console and play it hand held was an absolutely amazing experience. I showed the TV console to handheld (and back) mechanism to my girlfriend and her jaw just dropped (and then, of course, she asked, so you can play it handheld while I watch TV?).

I haven't fully explored bringing it out of the house yet (well, I played a little bit on my patio - it's in the 70s in Georgia), but that's just a fantastic ability.

Now if you are just going to play it on your TV, yeah, no big deal.

Also, cartridges make it incredibly fast to load up and play a game. I look forward to exploring some of the indie games (I've heard great things about Shovel Knight) on the eShop as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #3502
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Microsoft's messaging around the Xbox One was foggy at best, focusing on all the non-gaming abilities it had, a price point $100 higher and of course the infamous E3 DRM/Digital Download PR disaster.

Sony's messaging focused like a laser on being the perfect gaming machine and then came in $100 cheaper with slightly more powerful hardware. Off to the races and MS didn't recover. When MS righted some of their wrongs(ditching Kinect), it contradicted their messaging and showed even more confusion around the product.

Microsoft thought the future was an all purpose media platform first, gaming second. In a world of Amazon/Chrome sticks and Rokus at $40 they were wrong. Massive market analysis fail. I loved the 360, great console. Then Sony basically did with the PS4 what MS did with the 360 while MS went off the rails.

Going forward it seems to be a whole new ball game. Potentially no new generations, just iterative upgrades with full backwards compatibility, MS trying to go cross platform with PC(which scares me as a primary PC gamer, I don't want MS store exclusives). Things are going to get a lot more fluid.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-28-2017 at 11:14 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #3503
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The portability factor and the ease of the "Switch" really is fantastic and shouldn't be undersold - but I think it's fair to be underwhelmed when my wireless controller becomes completely unresponsive at ten feet away from the system because I crossed my legs.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #3504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
MS trying to go cross platform with PC(which scares me as a primary PC gamer,

And as a primarily console gamer it scares me because I don't want Windows anything any closer to my games than it has to be.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #3505
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I showed the TV console to handheld (and back) mechanism to my girlfriend and her jaw just dropped (and then, of course, she asked, so you can play it handheld while I watch TV?).

Wii U could do that, too. What it didn't have was the ability to do that on the go. Not easily. But you could solo Wii U games without even hooking it up to a TV!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #3506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The portability factor and the ease of the "Switch" really is fantastic and shouldn't be undersold - but I think it's fair to be underwhelmed when my wireless controller becomes completely unresponsive at ten feet away from the system because I crossed my legs.

Did you try the unpairing / repairing thing (made it's way around Nintendo subreddit)? Apparently it helps to force the 2.0 Switch update to the JoyCons.

HOW TO FIX LEFT JOY-CON ISSUES!! - Nintendo Switch Desync Disconnecting Problem - YouTube

I was having some strange interactions with the Left JoyCon, tried this and have no issues ever since.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #3507
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Wii U could do that, too. What it didn't have was the ability to do that on the go. Not easily. But you could solo Wii U games without even hooking it up to a TV!

Yes, but the 'on the go' is the selling point. With the WiiU you had to be within a certain distance from the actual console. With the Switch, the console is with you always... also the Switch in handheld mode is 720p while the WiiU handheld was 480p.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #3508
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did you try the unpairing / repairing thing (made it's way around Nintendo subreddit)? Apparently it helps to force the 2.0 Switch update to the JoyCons.

HOW TO FIX LEFT JOY-CON ISSUES!! - Nintendo Switch Desync Disconnecting Problem - YouTube

I was having some strange interactions with the Left JoyCon, tried this and have no issues ever since.

I'll have to try that, I haven't messed with it yet. I just don't cross my legs

Edit: (that was weird)
Quote:
Yes, but the 'on the go' is the selling point. With the WiiU you had to be within a certain distance from the actual console. With the Switch, the console is with you always... also the Switch in handheld mode is 720p while the WiiU handheld was 480p.

The video quality is pretty fantastic in portable mode.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 03-28-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #3509
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Edit: (that was weird)

Yeah, when I got it, I was doing all sorts of things to replicate the left joy con issues - raising my foot as high as it could go (while my knee was locked straight) blocked things for example. So I tried it after it did the trick to have the JoyCons get the 2.0 update and those things didn't affect it anymore.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #3510
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Snagged a Switch at a local Wal Mart. If you are serious I suggest using zoolert. I found this one via their brick and mortar store inventory tracker. I'm pretty sold on the Switch so far. Because of that website I found my Switch less than 24 hours after deciding I was going to buy one.

Took it outside last night and played for about a half hour. I was not impressed with it hooked up to the TV. Maybe I have a setting wrong somewhere but it didn't even look to be in HD on my TV. I'll need to look around in the settings next time I dock it. Is it supposed to be in 1080p docked?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #3511
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

BOTW is 900p docked (720p portable). It's also done in a more cell shaded, Wind Waker, artistic style so that may be why it seems off.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #3512
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

PETA Calls Out Nintendo Over Inaccurate Portrayal Of Milking In 1-2-Switch - Nintendo Life
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #3513
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

PETA is like a YouTube comment section come to life.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #3514
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

There is a PlayStation Network bundle on humble right now. It's a bunch of THQ games for the PS3 or PS4.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #3515
mckerney
Coordinator

NINTENDO DISCONTINUES THE NES CLASSIC EDITION

Seems like an odd move on a product that seems to instantly sell out everywhere.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #3516
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. I guess they don't want to print money anymore.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #3517
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

There's a lot of speculation that this is to make way for an SNES Classic, but I don't think so. I think you let it die off, and once everyone's out of them, you announce the NES Classic Plus, dropping a handful of the less desirable titles already on the first edition, and beefing up the selection on the Plus to 50 games or so. The Plus will still have the games that most people played on the Classic, but will add another 20-25 games so that first gen buyers will need to get this one, too. At the same time, the games dropped from the rotation will keep resale high for the first unit on the secondhand market, creating more of a perceived demand.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #3518
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, there is the ability to re-release a Classic to big fanfare, but it could just be that Nintendo didn't realize that people would freak out about NES Classic (Heck, I'm surprised it's been such a success - hipsterization of America, people ).

It also could be discontinued because Nintendo may be about to announce (or at least announce at E3) the virtual console for the Switch and would include the Classic titles on that.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #3519
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
There's a lot of speculation that this is to make way for an SNES Classic, but I don't think so. I think you let it die off, and once everyone's out of them, you announce the NES Classic Plus, dropping a handful of the less desirable titles already on the first edition, and beefing up the selection on the Plus to 50 games or so. The Plus will still have the games that most people played on the Classic, but will add another 20-25 games so that first gen buyers will need to get this one, too. At the same time, the games dropped from the rotation will keep resale high for the first unit on the secondhand market, creating more of a perceived demand.

Problem is, It's soo easy to mod nes classic, they'd likely be wasting money with a rerelease.

Also, i'd be willing to bet over 30% of stock is in the hands of resellers who are keeping people from getting a nes classic
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 AM   #3520
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Bad post removed
Old 04-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #3521
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Thanks, Ben. The post I made was a link to Gizmodo, showing that there have been more copies of Zelda sold for the Switch in the US, than there have been Switch consoles sold!

Why Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the biggest system seller in history | Ars Technica
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-14-2017 at 03:58 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #3522
Ironhead
College Prospect

I have really been getting the itch to play a new 3D baseball game. The last one I played was the last one that came out on the Xbox 360 (maybe 2K13?).

Problem is I am primarily a PC gamer and already have an Xbox One. I am having trouble justifying buying a PS4 just to play The Show and maybe one or two other Playstation exclusives like The Last of Us and the Uncharted games.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #3523
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
I have really been getting the itch to play a new 3D baseball game. The last one I played was the last one that came out on the Xbox 360 (maybe 2K13?).

Problem is I am primarily a PC gamer and already have an Xbox One. I am having trouble justifying buying a PS4 just to play The Show and maybe one or two other Playstation exclusives like The Last of Us and the Uncharted games.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Not quite the same situation, but I do admit that the sole reason I bought a PS3 and PS4 over the XBOX was for The Show and I never looked back. For my money, it's the best sports game series ever.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #3524
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I've had fun with Super Mega Baseball on PC. It isn't a real life sim, but plays pretty well imo. There is a second version coming out in a few months as well.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #3525
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I've had fun with Super Mega Baseball on PC. It isn't a real life sim, but plays pretty well imo. There is a second version coming out in a few months as well.

I'll second this. I picked Super Mega Baseball as part of a Humble Bundle and have enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to trying out the next version.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #3526
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I'll second this. I picked Super Mega Baseball as part of a Humble Bundle and have enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to trying out the next version.

Thirds'd
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #3527
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
The Westport Independent - Double Zero One Zero

This looks outstanding, especially if you were a fan of Papers Please

Just played this on iPad - it’s an interesting game, will need to replay to see how good it is. I played true to the party, and found it easy to keep the journalists happy and get maximum party loyalty in all four areas without being 100% subservient.

If it truly a great game, if i try to be subtly subversive i should also get some results based on the achievements list at the end of the game.

As a postscript - PS JiMGA? This would appear to be a game right up your street?

Last edited by AlexB : 01-01-2018 at 05:13 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote