Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #451
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

AOW 3 releases 11am CST. I'm working from home tomorrow.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #453
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Started to play Heartstone. I played the initial mage, I think, and then switched to a paladin to mostly try something else. I got the paladin up to level 10. I did an online match and got smoked. I put together a test run deck and played three more matches and went 3-0.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #454
Izulde
Head Coach

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but wow is AC 4: Black Flag ever boring. I realize that it probably opens up more later, but it suffers so far from a lot of the same problems that 1 did (I also have 2 or 3 I forget which that I picked up for cheap during a Black Friday sale a couple years ago, but never played it):

1. The gameplay is repetitive and occupies a half-ass point between open world and railroading. It makes for a very irritating experience.

2. Any time you're running interconnected parallel time period storylines like the whole ancestor/modern day thing the AC series uses, it has to be handled skillfully, and every time you switch off, you need to re-engage your player (or reader). AC 1 was actually fairly interesting for the historical, but every time the modern came back up, I was like "...Damn it. Snorefest again."

3. Related to 2, it seems like both 1 and 4 (thus far) are relying awfully fucking hard on ZOMG MYSTERY AND SUSPENSE@%$!$!$!%$!%$~! Which can work, but you need to actually have some sort of emotional investment in the characters for it to work. 1 did this reasonably well for the historical segment. 4 does probably the single worst job of this of any high-production video game I've ever played. I do not give a shit about Edward. I do not give a shit about the historical story, which is really hamfisted in its presentation and pacing. And what the fuck is this pseudohistorical random capitalization of words in the subtitles? It's distracting.

Oh, and the meta/postmodern nature of the modern story can go fuck itself, too. This is not about you masturbating all over yourself, Ubisoft. It's not funny and it's not clever.

Will I keep playing it? Probably. I want to at least get to the ocean part of it that everyone at FOFC has raved about and go exploring, but the poorly crafted story, complete disconnect between the player/reader and the characters, and the clunky handling of the parallel arcs mean I won't ever bother to beat the game.

All the time I was playing, I kept thinking to myself, "You know, this thing reminds me a lot of Game of Thrones - a really awesome concept that has the framework and the right basic ideas to be phenomenal, but the execution is so mangled, all it does is just piss me off. ...I really wish the next Dragon Age game was out. Or even a new non-online Elder Scrolls. Or really, any one of half a dozen games that understands the need for the player to be engaged in the world they're operating. Hell, at this point, I'm thinking I should have bought Dynasty Warriors 8 instead for my first game, even though 9 is coming out soon."

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #455
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but wow is AC 4: Black Flag ever boring. I realize that it probably opens up more later, but it suffers so far from a lot of the same problems that 1 did (I also have 2 or 3 I forget which that I picked up for cheap during a Black Friday sale a couple years ago, but never played it):

1. The gameplay is repetitive and occupies a half-ass point between open world and railroading. It makes for a very irritating experience.

2. Any time you're running interconnected parallel time period storylines like the whole ancestor/modern day thing the AC series uses, it has to be handled skillfully, and every time you switch off, you need to re-engage your player (or reader). AC 1 was actually fairly interesting for the historical, but every time the modern came back up, I was like "...Damn it. Snorefest again."

3. Related to 2, it seems like both 1 and 4 (thus far) are relying awfully fucking hard on ZOMG MYSTERY AND SUSPENSE@%$!$!$!%$!%$~! Which can work, but you need to actually have some sort of emotional investment in the characters for it to work. 1 did this reasonably well for the historical segment. 4 does probably the single worst job of this of any high-production video game I've ever played. I do not give a shit about Edward. I do not give a shit about the historical story, which is really hamfisted in its presentation and pacing. And what the fuck is this pseudohistorical random capitalization of words in the subtitles? It's distracting.

Oh, and the meta/postmodern nature of the modern story can go fuck itself, too. This is not about you masturbating all over yourself, Ubisoft. It's not funny and it's not clever.

Will I keep playing it? Probably. I want to at least get to the ocean part of it that everyone at FOFC has raved about and go exploring, but the poorly crafted story, complete disconnect between the player/reader and the characters, and the clunky handling of the parallel arcs mean I won't ever bother to beat the game.

All the time I was playing, I kept thinking to myself, "You know, this thing reminds me a lot of Game of Thrones - a really awesome concept that has the framework and the right basic ideas to be phenomenal, but the execution is so mangled, all it does is just piss me off. ...I really wish the next Dragon Age game was out. Or even a new non-online Elder Scrolls. Or really, any one of half a dozen games that understands the need for the player to be engaged in the world they're operating. Hell, at this point, I'm thinking I should have bought Dynasty Warriors 8 instead for my first game, even though 9 is coming out soon."

The open seas is the fun part of the game.

And the "on the rails" feel will vanish soon enough when the training wheels completely come off and you can roam the seas.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 04-02-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #456
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The open seas is the fun part of the game.

It seems to be, which is why I'll keep on slogging through until I get to that point, and see how it goes then.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #457
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - the open seas part (where you can just sail around and pirate whatever the fuck you want) is the best part. You've gotta stick with it till you get there.

The beginning is annoying I agree Izulde.

In fact - even though I upgraded to the PS4 version I'd still almost rather play my PS3 version where I'm 45% or so through the storyline and fully maxed-out rather than start over on the PS4 version and deal with all the repetitive fucking missions I have to go through to get there again.

And yes, the modern day shit is BORING. Everytime I get forced over to it I go "okay...I'm quitting for the day" and then wouldn't pick the game back up for a couple days.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-02-2014 at 08:28 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #458
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The meta/postmodern nature of the modern story was the only bad part of the game and the game would have been near-perfect simply by eliminating all of those missions. But fortunately in AC4, such missions were few and far in between.

I had just as much fun on land as I did in the open seas - I played it like an action/adventure game instead of a linear cinematic game. For example, when I got to Havana the first time, I made it a goal to locate and loot all 30 chests and 6(?) viewpoints before I progressed on. That was challenging and so much fun. I did that in all locations for there were a lot of variety in the geography.

I felt the story was great - for an action/adventure game. Despite spending hundreds of hours playing Skyrim, I still cannot tell you that it even had a story (except to kill the boss dragon), but I can tell you what had happened to Kenway and those he had befriended and lost along the way. Both games had superb gameplay.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #459
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The meta/postmodern nature of the modern story was the only bad part of the game and the game would have been near-perfect simply by eliminating all of those missions. But fortunately in AC4, such missions were few and far in between.

I had just as much fun on land as I did in the open seas - I played it like an action/adventure game instead of a linear cinematic game. For example, when I got to Havana the first time, I made it a goal to locate and loot all 30 chests and 6(?) viewpoints before I progressed on. That was challenging and so much fun. I did that in all locations for there were a lot of variety in the geography.

I felt the story was great - for an action/adventure game. Despite spending hundreds of hours playing Skyrim, I still cannot tell you that it even had a story (except to kill the boss dragon), but I can tell you what had happened to Kenway and those he had befriended and lost along the way. Both games had superb gameplay.

That's true...I do that also. Wander around the streets of the city and just knife the a$$hole soldiers who are trying to wipe out your fellow pirates. I've even gotten better at collecting all the shanties.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #460
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
And yes, the modern day shit is BORING. Everytime I get forced over to it I go "okay...I'm quitting for the day" and then wouldn't pick the game back up for a couple days.

Agreed. I haven't played for about a month because I got to one of the modern day segments and decided to take a break and play something else and just haven't picked it back up yet. Probably should soon though.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #461
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yes, please.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #462
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone playing the Warlock 2 beta? Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 AM   #463
Izulde
Head Coach

How do you register your MyPlayer or whatever in NBA 2K14? I can't change the minutes per quarter in MyCareer and it's driving me insane seeing college scores while everyone else in the league is on NBA scores.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #464
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Kinect Sports Rivals showed up today. It is the first game to be completely based around the Kinect. So far it has been a blast. I've completed the tutorials and the first match for all of the events. It has: Jet-Ski, Rock Climbing, Bowling, Soccer, Tennis, and Pistol Shooting.

They've worked paid sponsorship into the game. I had a bowling match against Cliff Paul from the State Farm commercial. When you win matches against these sponsors, you get extra perks. I just hope this isn't the closest I come to playing Pumpy in bowling.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #465
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Think I'll pick that up in the next few days.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #466
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Picked up Warlock 2 on Steam.. fantastic sequel.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #467
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another poorly kept secret finally announced. TLOU: Remastered Edition on the way for the PS4.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...4-summer-2014/

Quote:
The Last of Us Remastered

$59.99
Release: Summer 2014
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Higher resolution character models
Improved shadows and lighting
Several other gameplay improvements
In-game cinematic commentary from the cast and creative director
Includes: Abandoned Territories Map Pack
Includes: Reclaimed Territories Map Pack
Includes: The Last of Us: Left Behind single-player campaign

Pre-order Bonuses

100 Supply Points (XP) for use in Factions mode
Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after you complete the single player campaign
Increased Crafting Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
Increased Healing Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
9mm Reload Speed Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign
Rifle Clip Capacity Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign

Digital PlayStation Store pre-order bonuses

All of the previous pre-order bonuses mentioned
Early Access to the Brawler Survival Skill in Factions Mode
Early Access to additional Loadout Points for use in Factions Mode
Early Access to the Jeep Cap and Surgical Mask for use in Factions Mode
Old 04-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #468
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So has anyone played the new RBI baseball game on a console? Judging from the feedback and reviews, it appears they created the game as a mobile game and then ported it to the consoles.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #469
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Beware the Curse of Naxxramas! - Hearthstone
Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #470
mckerney
Coordinator

Rumors are that the new game Firaxis is announcing at PAX East is going to be Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth, a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri.

Also Supergiant Games announced that their followup to Bastion, Transistor, will be releasing May 20th. Going to have to pick that one up right away.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #471
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Rumors are that the new game Firaxis is announcing at PAX East is going to be Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth, a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri.

Ugh..if true. But like Civ4:Col, nostalgia can only take a game so far.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #472
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Looks like Civ5 Beyond Earth will be it - CivFanatics is instantly deleting all posts mentioning of it.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-12-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #473
mckerney
Coordinator

Old 04-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #474
mckerney
Coordinator

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer] - NeoGAF

-You'll go beyond earth as the title implies, making it more like Alpha Centauri.
- Out this Autumn
- You start on an alien world
- There are three types of worlds: Lush, Airy and Fungal
- You'll still be building cities like in CIv V but to expand to other planets you'll use outposts.
- You can be the first to explore a new planet and you may find some neutral creatures/races on those worlds. You can either destroy them or leave them be.
- Relics are still in.
- You can win the game by returning to earth. To do that you'll need to put a satellite in orbit around the earth and you can either return to earth to win or you can bring the refugees of earth to your home world.
- You can use diplomacy with other players right from the start.
- Fog of War is still present
- There are now orbital units that you can command like satellites.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #475
mckerney
Coordinator

Beyond Earth Takes Civilization to the Stars - GameSpot

Quote:
Before you land on a new planet and start shaping humanity’s destiny, you must first equip your expedition. Referred to as "the seeding," this is an expanded version of your civilization selection in previous games. In Beyond Earth, not only do you choose which faction (read: civilization) to play, but also which spacecraft to take, what cargo to carry, who to bring, and the type of planet you want to inhabit. Each selection you make will greatly impact the start of your game: you could carry high-quality cargo that grants additional funds up-front, for instance, or hard-working, production-oriented colonists who build structures faster. The Civilization series has always been about defining a strategy early on, and then adapting that strategy to accommodate whatever curveballs the game throws your way. These choices should give you greater control over how you define your opening gambit.

After the seeding, you make planetfall and establish your first human colony. It is also the only human colony. The next human player won’t arrive until much later. In the beginning, you are completely alone amid the wilderness. "What’s neat about it is the feeling you get from coming into this new place," said lead producer Dennis Shirk. "It’s not the same as in other Civilization games where you already know you’re on Earth, the only threat is the occasional barbarian, and you’re going to run into other civilizations--and if one of those is Genghis Khan or Montezuma you know what your game is going to be like! With Beyond Earth, it’s basically you versus the environment in the beginning."

And by "environment," Shirk of course means alien lifeforms. Depending on the planet, these lifeforms may be indifferent to your arrival, or hostile. You must decide how to deal with them, and in doing so the development team hopes the experience will feel more isolated, more alien, than in previous games. You are setting forth into the unknown reaches of space, after all. It could be 20 turns or more before you see another player make planetfall and introduce themselves, and another 15 turns after that until the next. And if you think these newcomers are going to be easy pickings just because they were late to the party, think again. Those who arrive after you receive an extra boost to help them catch up to your civilization.

Quote:
Because this system can take humanity in some wildly different directions, chances are you won’t need to be researching all the same technologies as the other players. Therefore, the team at Firaxis has a new, non-linear technology tree for Beyond Earth. In fact, it’s not so much a tree as it is a web. As McDonough described it, this web was one of the team’s "first, favorite, and most fundamental redesigns." Each player starts surrounded by a web of technologies, with the technologies closest to you being something recognizable in today’s world, like engineering. From there you move outward in any direction towards more exotic--but still plausible--technologies.

"We call these major technologies 'branch' technologies," he added. "Each branch technology has a number of leaf technologies underneath it, representing specific specializations of the main branch. These leaves are also associated with one of the three affinities. Gaining allegiance to an affinity begins the path towards a technology victory specific to that affinity. At no time are you ever locked out of researching any technology, but it’s very unlikely you’ll be able to research everything in the game. By the end of the game, you will have a set of technologies that tells a story of who you are, and who you were."

Last edited by mckerney : 04-12-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #476
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

The screenshots on there look very similar to the screenshots for Pandora:First Contact. I'd been thinking of going for Pandora but Matrix Games puts me off.

Pandora: First Contact – Sci-Fi 4X Strategy Game Official Website

Edit - obviously I've mentioned Pandora in the hope somebody will say "it's really good, ignore the stench of Matrix and buy it".

Last edited by Critch : 04-12-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #477
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Pardon my ignorance, but why does Matrix have such a bad reputation?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #478
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm shocked that the game will be out Fall 2014,, means the game's been under development for a while and not one word has slipped out.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #479
Thomkal
Head Coach

PC Gamer already has a lot of info on Beyond Earth:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/ci...logy-and-more/
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #480
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just tried the demo of Tesla Effect. Still feels like a Tex Murphy game, instant pre-order.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #481
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
The screenshots on there look very similar to the screenshots for Pandora:First Contact. I'd been thinking of going for Pandora but Matrix Games puts me off.

Pandora: First Contact – Sci-Fi 4X Strategy Game Official Website

Edit - obviously I've mentioned Pandora in the hope somebody will say "it's really good, ignore the stench of Matrix and buy it".

VERY similar. You can purchase via Slitherine, Ltd and avoid Matrix games if you so desire.

Slitherine Ltd
Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #482
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Seriously, I'm giddy like a 5th grader over this. So glad they were able to make another and it seems like they did it right.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #483
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

DO NOT pick up the new Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes. I can't believe they are charging money for this game. It took me longer to learn the controls than to actually finish it. I'll spoil it for you, without spoiling the story(there is story here?)

Cutscene
Find dude
Carry dude to evac
Find girl
Carry girl to evac
Cutscene
End Credits

Twenty minutes to learn controls/cover. 5 to rescue dude. 10 to rescue girl. End credits. This is a demo. Actually, there is less game here than the demo they included with Zone of the Enders back in the day.

They are attempting to extend the game past this with "side ops." There are five of them. I did the first one after I finished the main game. Took me just a few seconds over four minutes. Guess I got four left. Garbage.

Last edited by dubb93 : 04-13-2014 at 01:29 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #484
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Seriously, I'm giddy like a 5th grader over this. So glad they were able to make another and it seems like they did it right.

I backed this on Kickstarter and anxiously awaiting my key.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #485
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling like the last 12 months or so has been a very high quality era of gaming, especially in indie titles. Some of my favorite indie titles of all time - Papers, Please, Don't Starve, Banished, and more join the list, and we've had fun games from Might and Magic X to Europa Universalis IV to Smugglers 5. I even liked games like Redshirt, Card City Nights and others.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #486
Groundhog
Coordinator

I bought 'Papers, Please' based on the acclaim. I actually remember seeing it on Steam when it was released and thinking it looked about 25 years past its time.

I actually find it incredibly stressful to play, especially after about Day 10 or 11 when there begins to be so many things to check for each visitor.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #487
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling like the last 12 months or so has been a very high quality era of gaming, especially in indie titles. Some of my favorite indie titles of all time - Papers, Please, Don't Starve, Banished, and more join the list, and we've had fun games from Might and Magic X to Europa Universalis IV to Smugglers 5. I even liked games like Redshirt, Card City Nights and others.

Wouldn't disagree with you, 2013 was a great year for games and 2014 is off to a good start. Some of my favorites recently other favorites of mine than what you've listed are A Link Between Worlds, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Kentucky Route Zero, Tomb Raider, Shadowrun Returns, The Wolf Among Us, Bravely Default, Ni no Kuni, Hexcells and The Last of Us. Plus a several I've forgot to mention and haven't gotten around to playing yet.

A bunch of great releases lately.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #488
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I bought 'Papers, Please' based on the acclaim. I actually remember seeing it on Steam when it was released and thinking it looked about 25 years past its time.

I actually find it incredibly stressful to play, especially after about Day 10 or 11 when there begins to be so many things to check for each visitor.

Oh God, I'm with you on that. One of the most stressful games I've ever played, but I enjoyed every bit of it. Something so simple, yet so fantastically done.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #489
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Shameless stuff from Ubisoft.

OXM US Blog: So Ubisoft offered me a £200 tablet at a Watch Dogs preview event - OXM US

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-15-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 AM   #490
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Eh, it's just swag. Take it and give an honest review.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #491
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure how "shameless" it is. People always do this stuff. This past week, I've gone to three presentations by companies - Aramark, Chartwells, and Sedexo - that want to win a contract for Fairfield University. All three had swag bags, gave away food, flowers, and all sorts of stuff. I was once flown out to WotC to meet folks there in Seattle, I was put up for the night, fed, given more than $300 in free Magic product, all to playtest a game.

This stuff is common. You already are aware of it. You are either someone who is willing to sell your opinion or you are not. It happens from everything to bids to awards ceremonies and more. If you are inclined to sell it, a tablet is a nice gift. Otherwise, it won't matter one way or the other. No sense moaning about the system and hammering just one company over it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #492
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
I'm not sure how "shameless" it is. People always do this stuff. This past week, I've gone to three presentations by companies - Aramark, Chartwells, and Sedexo - that want to win a contract for Fairfield University. All three had swag bags, gave away food, flowers, and all sorts of stuff. I was once flown out to WotC to meet folks there in Seattle, I was put up for the night, fed, given more than $300 in free Magic product, all to playtest a game.

This stuff is common. You already are aware of it. You are either someone who is willing to sell your opinion or you are not. It happens from everything to bids to awards ceremonies and more. If you are inclined to sell it, a tablet is a nice gift. Otherwise, it won't matter one way or the other. No sense moaning about the system and hammering just one company over it.

Agreed.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #493
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No sense moaning about the system and hammering just one company over it.

I don't think I've just hammered one company. I've consistently hammered them all when it comes to review swag. I will note that the situation you presented isn't even remotely similar to this one. In the scenario you presented, there's no issues with the swag. There's no reporting requirements.

In the case of this situation, all reporters who have received these tablets will have to disclose it in their review of Watch Dogs. We'll see how many actually do that. Some were wise enough to post right away that they were auctioning or donating them for charity to avoid any issues.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #494
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I don't think I've just hammered one company. I've consistently hammered them all when it comes to review swag. I will note that the situation you presented isn't even remotely similar to this one. In the scenario you presented, there's no issues with the swag. There's no reporting requirements.

In the case of this situation, all reporters who have received these tablets will have to disclose it in their review of Watch Dogs. We'll see how many actually do that. Some were wise enough to post right away that they were auctioning or donating them for charity to avoid any issues.

Pretty sure there's a reporting requirement at Fairfield University. I'd be hella surprised if there wasn't, as there typically is at most large companies.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #495
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Pretty sure there's a reporting requirement at Fairfield University. I'd be hella surprised if there wasn't, as there typically is at most large companies.

Most private universities have a limit where it's required if staff receive something, usually between $500-1000. You have to report every single thing when it comes to the video game industry, regardless of worth.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #496
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Pfft, why not just cut out the middle-man and make your own reviews!

Sony Pays For Fake Reviews
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #497
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Pfft, why not just cut out the middle-man and make your own reviews!

Sony Pays For Fake Reviews

Which happens too often as well. Obviously a movie, not a video game, but the point remains. All the big players in the video game industry do it and it needs to stop.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #498
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which happens too often as well. Obviously a movie, not a video game, but the point remains. All the big players in the video game industry do it and it needs to stop.

Nintendo rarely, if ever, seems to get mentioned in these review scandals. You tend to get more of this sort of thing from them:
Future Publishing (Edge/PC Gamer/etc) freelance writer says they alter reviews, more - NeoGAF

More that they're tone deaf or just don't care.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #499
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't get the anger or even the authors frustration.

Disclose it in your review. If you want to donate it, donate it. You want to keep it, keep it. If someone doesn't disclose it? Then they are probably getting more than a 200 tablet.

What I find great about the video game industry now is how many sites there are that review games and how you can easily track what they've rated in the past. Even many of the gaming magazines give past review scores in each magazine released.

If you the consumer isn't smart enough to look at multiple sites and do some research, shame on him.

FWIW, this is our media in a nutshell as well. If you think news stories aren't altered by advertising threats, you are delusional.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #500
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It's outrage Fox News style.