Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #401
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Donald Trump and Mark Cuban would make for an interesting ticket...

Or Charles Barkley.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #402
miked
College Starter

That screeching sound you hear is the brakes on the Trump machine.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #403
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't know about you guys, but I feel entertained.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #404
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Damn Paul/Christie is fire

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #405
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Damn Paul/Christie is fire

True Dat

Though I was disappointed with Paul on his last exchange with Trump
Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #406
PilotMan
Head Coach

Cruz, Walker and Carson seem to be falling flat, while Rubio seems to be having a good night.

Like Steam?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #407
SackAttack
Head Coach

I had to stop watching because I was getting freezes and buffering, but I was impressed with Rubio's intro.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #408
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm seeing Facebook friends that never say anything political falling over themselves to praise Trump.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #409
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess that means Rand supports polygamy then.

Like Steam?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:48 PM   #410
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Honestly, the biggest thing I took out of this debate is that the Fox personalities have no business running a debate.

Rubio has looked very good and Trump has shown that he's not going to back down to anyone regarding his previous statements (which is great for those people who love him because he doesn't act like a politician).
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #411
JPhillips
General Manager

And he quite publicly refused to rule out a third party run. That has to be the scariest moment for the RNC.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #412
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Im moving towards Kasich. I'm interested

Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #413
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think Carson would make an interesting Surgeon General

Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #414
PilotMan
Head Coach

Kasich certainly seems to be having a good night.

Like Steam?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #415
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Heh, I was going to suggest that earlier when it was mentioned that someone should take out Trump for the good of the team in exchange for a spot in the administration.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #416
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
2) His lawsuit against the estate of the American Sniper guy will get him in water with the pro military crowd.

This.

That sumbitch is a non-entity.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think he's a very useful guy in some role ... just not president.

Wrong on amnesty, wrong on national security & surveillance. He's too dangerous to let near issues like that. But he's a smart guy & could have value in some role.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #418
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And since 99% of you aren't on my facebook, this isn't even a duplicate post.

FWIW, my quick takeaways after hitting the recaps of the debate.

Don't like Christie but happen to see him put Lunatic Jr (aka Paul) in his place. Jeb Bush seems determined to surrender more than the French. Fox surely does seem in attack mode on Trump and, right now, that's looking like a bad play for them. Probably good to take Kelly & Co. down a notch frankly. I'm pro-choice but it isn't a third rail issue for a candidate afaic, but those who make it a centerpiece of their campaign (looking at you Rubio) will lose my interest quickly.

For an FOFC exclusive, I'd figure Trump gets another 5% boost in the next poll(s), Carson gains a little bit. Uncertain about the others.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:43 PM   #419
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fox surely does seem in attack mode on Trump

Yeah that was obvious and seemed really weird to me. The debate was not only an opportunity for the candidates, but also an opportunity for Fox News to reach out to a wider audience who wouldn't otherwise watch and potentially gain viewers.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 08-06-2015 at 10:44 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Yeah that was obvious and seemed really weird to me. The debate was not only an opportunity for the candidates, but also an opportunity for Fox News to reach out to a wider audience.

They seem determined at this point to cater to a rather curious sub-section, those who are allegedly angry but not really all that angry. When all is said & done, if they maintain the same tone that came across in the recaps at least, they could turn out to be the big losers of the whole election season.

I think perhaps they're falling victim to that old saw about absolute power, if a new network wasn't cost prohibitive for entry they might almost be a bit ripe to be chewed on.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #421
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Im moving towards Kasich. I'm interested

I don't like many republicans, but I can't really hate him. But the compassionate conservative won't actually win ever again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #422
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who's going to be out by October? Looking at some old electoral history shows that a bunch of people drop out by then.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:04 AM   #423
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I thought Rubio killed it tonight. Huckabee, Paul, Christie, Carson (and I guess Trump) all appear genuine, but have no chance. Jeb Bush was pretty brutal, but can bounce back.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:15 AM   #424
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Some thoughts:

The establishment isn't going to like Donald Trump. He isn't going to make a third-party run, but he likes to threaten it because he perceives it as leverage. Trump won in some respects because Fox made the debate about him in the first minute. But he was vague in other respects. He doesn't have detailed policy ideas. He had a Gore "invented the internet" moment over the immigration issue. His caustic response on the women-bashing question was his worst moment. Bashing Megyn Kelly was not smart. So I think overall he did OK because he was the focus of attention and he didn't completely self-combust.

Rand Paul looked awful. He took on Trump and it didn't work. He took on Chris Christie and got handled.

Christie helped himself, but you can't help feeling he's running for president because he can't win any more in New Jersey. The whole John Edwards thing.

Dr. Ben Carson looked like he might be asleep for a long time. I liked him, and maybe being likable is what's important at this stage. But I don't like his lack of experience, even though he seems more clued in on issues than the other political outsider.

John Kasich needs to stop waving his hands around. He stayed safe, but he seems too anxious to prove his conservative credentials.

Ted Cruz did what he had to do he establish himself as the right-wing choice. I can see him gaining.

Everyone says Marco Rubio was very good. I don't agree. I want to see more from him because he's my closest match on the issues web site. He seemed very nervous and in-and-out of campaign commercial mode.

Mike Huckabee did what he always does. He's relaxed and on message. If you haven't seen him before, you'd think, "wow, a real presence." He's just too right-wing to gain traction.

Scott Walker seemed to fumble his message. I think he missed an opportunity to move forward.

Jeb Bush was stronger than I thought he would be. For a while, I thought he would be the big winner tonight. But he is running against his family, too.

I come away from this more certain that Trump has a ceiling and is just flavor-of-the-day. But there's no one that seems inspiring out there. Maybe if Rubio can relax a little more. It's still so early.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:18 AM   #425
PilotMan
Head Coach

I honestly think Trump will lose a lot as people see him for who he is. Maybe they were simply ignoring that earlier, but they can't now. Plus he's now doubling down on Megyn Kelly. General public won't care for that either.

Like Steam?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #426
Butter
Coordinator

Living in Ohio, I wouldn't HATE Kasich. He hasn't done badly in this state. I also have a hard time seeing how it doesn't end up being Jeb Bush. It's kinda like Hillary on the Dem side. Seems like the safest choice, and a legacy name doesn't hurt. Jeb seems like he is somewhere between his dad and W on the ideological scale.

I'm just going to enjoy the inevitable Trump meltdown, whenever it occurs. And it will.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #427
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Some thoughts:

The establishment isn't going to like Donald Trump. He isn't going to make a third-party run, but he likes to threaten it because he perceives it as leverage. Trump won in some respects because Fox made the debate about him in the first minute. But he was vague in other respects. He doesn't have detailed policy ideas. He had a Gore "invented the internet" moment over the immigration issue. His caustic response on the women-bashing question was his worst moment. Bashing Megyn Kelly was not smart. So I think overall he did OK because he was the focus of attention and he didn't completely self-combust.

Rand Paul looked awful. He took on Trump and it didn't work. He took on Chris Christie and got handled.

Christie helped himself, but you can't help feeling he's running for president because he can't win any more in New Jersey. The whole John Edwards thing.

Dr. Ben Carson looked like he might be asleep for a long time. I liked him, and maybe being likable is what's important at this stage. But I don't like his lack of experience, even though he seems more clued in on issues than the other political outsider.

John Kasich needs to stop waving his hands around. He stayed safe, but he seems too anxious to prove his conservative credentials.

Ted Cruz did what he had to do he establish himself as the right-wing choice. I can see him gaining.

Everyone says Marco Rubio was very good. I don't agree. I want to see more from him because he's my closest match on the issues web site. He seemed very nervous and in-and-out of campaign commercial mode.

Mike Huckabee did what he always does. He's relaxed and on message. If you haven't seen him before, you'd think, "wow, a real presence." He's just too right-wing to gain traction.

Scott Walker seemed to fumble his message. I think he missed an opportunity to move forward.

Jeb Bush was stronger than I thought he would be. For a while, I thought he would be the big winner tonight. But he is running against his family, too.

I come away from this more certain that Trump has a ceiling and is just flavor-of-the-day. But there's no one that seems inspiring out there. Maybe if Rubio can relax a little more. It's still so early.

Agreed on nearly all of this.

I think Rubio accomplished more than you do, though. He's younger and less accomplished than his foes here, and his main goal (I think) had to be to get pat that and sound credible and articulate... just to offer an answer to "why is this guy even running?" (cf Fiorina in the JV event) I'd say he did that, and in doing so without any meaningful gaffe (I'd generally grant your reservations but dismiss them as pretty subtle) I think he may have been among the real winners last night.

I'd also say that I think Rubio was a winner by Walker coming out fairly flat. Not awful, but definitely not exciting.

I thought Kasich had a good debate (though I really wanted him to use a word other than "studying" when talking about his foreign affairs congressional experience) but it's hard to know whether he's got enough kindling there to really make much of it. I guess him making the cut for the big league debate in such short order suggests he does have some appeal and potential.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #428
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I think Rubio accomplished more than you do, though. He's younger and less accomplished than his foes here, and his main goal (I think) had to be to get pat that and sound credible and articulate... just to offer an answer to "why is this guy even running?" (cf Fiorina in the JV event) I'd say he did that, and in doing so without any meaningful gaffe (I'd generally grant your reservations but dismiss them as pretty subtle) I think he may have been among the real winners last night.

I'd also say that I think Rubio was a winner by Walker coming out fairly flat. Not awful, but definitely not exciting.

I think if I had been listening to the debate rather than watching, I'd more fully agree with you. Rubio sounded great, but he looked very jittery and unsteady to me, and well, yeah, young.

Walker was the least impressive of the lot to me, and that's saying something.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #429
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Serious question, how do you square your desire for more civil discussion with Carson? Yesterday he said that secular progressives were purposefully using the debt to destroy America.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #430
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I can come up with several ways of having a civil discussion with Carson's views. However, it takes two to have a civil discussion, and all it takes is the other side to get hysterical and there goes the civil discussion.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #431
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I think Kasich will be the one to eventually get the nod. I look at him as an anti-GW, he speaks liberally and governs conservatively vs the other way round.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #432
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, the problem is the progressives won't be civil when they're told they're purposefully destroying America.

That's like saying the problem is you got mad when all I wanted to do was have a civil discussion about your mom being a whore.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #433
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I think Kasich will be the one to eventually get the nod. I look at him as an anti-GW, he speaks liberally and governs conservatively vs the other way round.

I would vote Kasich over Hillary.

I'm very liberal and a staunch Bernie supporter, but I cannot and will not bring myself to cast a vote for Hillary Clinton.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #434
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

See, I told you there were those Tea-Party like types on the left that say they wouldn't vote for the moderate option.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #435
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
See, I told you there were those Tea-Party like types on the left that say they wouldn't vote for the moderate option.

I don't trust her. Plain and simple.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #436
molson
General Manager

A lot of people don't like Hillary. I think that's partly why there's 17 Republicans running. They know their nominee actually has a chance, which they really shouldn't when you see the trends and the state of the country and economy as Obama's term winds up.

Last edited by molson : 08-07-2015 at 10:01 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #437
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm pro-choice but it isn't a third rail issue for a candidate afaic, but those who make it a centerpiece of their campaign (looking at you Rubio) will lose my interest quickly.

I legit did not know you were pro-choice. I thought many of your views were faith-based?
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #438
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I legit did not know you were pro-choice. I thought many of your views were faith-based?

Ugh, Democrats are not atheists.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #439
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

I didn't mean it that way, I just thought JimGA was evangelical and was surprised about the pro-choice thing, that's all.

For the record though as a Democrat, I'm Catholic turned agnostic.

Last edited by path12 : 08-07-2015 at 10:19 AM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #440
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

I am!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #441
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I can come up with several ways of having a civil discussion with Carson's views. However, it takes two to have a civil discussion, and all it takes is the other side to get hysterical and there goes the civil discussion.

Sounds like some conversations I have had with my last ex-GF.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #442
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Yeah, the problem is the progressives won't be civil when they're told they're purposefully destroying America.

That's like saying the problem is you got mad when all I wanted to do was have a civil discussion about your mom being a whore.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #443
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Saddens me that pretty much the only pro-privacy / civil liberties candidate completely flopped.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #444
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Saddens me that pretty much the only pro-privacy / civil liberties candidate completely flopped.

In his attempt to double his support and appeal to both libertarians and mainstream Republicans he's instead not enough of either to get anywhere.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #445
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Serious question, how do you square your desire for more civil discussion with Carson? Yesterday he said that secular progressives were purposefully using the debt to destroy America.

By liking him, I meant in the sit down and have a beer sense. He's intelligent and accomplished and has an interest in the country.

But his views on many issues mean that out of the 17, he's near the bottom as far as my own voting will go.

He didn't say that Obama was trying to destroy America, though. He said that if he were trying to destroy America, he would adopt many of Obama's policies.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #446
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post

I'm adopted. Given up at birth, adopted around 4 months old give or take (hey, my recollection is a little fuzzy). As I understand the story I was the unexpected bastard product of two divorcees who had mutual rebound encounter that lasted very briefly.

That considerably colors my perception of what becomes a quite personal issue (apparently) irrevocably since my feelings about it have only gotten stronger over the past 20-30 years.

edit: it is not strong enough to be a political third-rail for a candidate with me, but there's no lack of feeling on the subject where I'm concerned either

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-07-2015 at 11:36 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #447
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I am!

Mr Grover, are you Arian Foster in disguise?

Old 08-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #448
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Mr Grover, are you Arian Foster in disguise?

I wish.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #449
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I would vote Kasich over Hillary.

I'm very liberal and a staunch Bernie supporter, but I cannot and will not bring myself to cast a vote for Hillary Clinton.

Yeah, I'm anyone but Hilary too. I'd probably vote for Kasich or Christie, but other than that I'm tossing my vote away for the Greens again.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #450
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah, I'm anyone but Hilary too. I'd probably vote for Kasich or Christie, but other than that I'm tossing my vote away for the Greens again.