Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #651
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Jeb says his anchor babies comment was more about Asians than Mexicans.

You know, thinking about this, this could have been the dumbest possible thing he could have said. So the GOP is already pissing off Hispanics, so you decide to say, oh no, I wasn't talking about that group, I was talking about another minority group... way to piss off two separate minority groups against the Republican party with one phrase.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #652
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You know, thinking about this, this could have been the dumbest possible thing he could have said. So the GOP is already pissing off Hispanics, so you decide to say, oh no, I wasn't talking about that group, I was talking about another minority group... way to piss off two separate minority groups against the Republican party with one phrase.

I doubt Jeb cares. He's probably only running because he was expected to run.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #653
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Yeah, it's like he looked at the polls and picked the one group the GOP does okay with.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #654
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'll just keep pointing to the past on this one - the race will change a lot between now and Super Tuesday. Momentum changes. When it does, the numbers change rapidly.

We're still five+ months out. Trump has name recognition, and now people are quite aware that saying you support Trump really, really upsets the media. I didn't think he'd cross 30, but I still think his chances of winning the nomination approach 0.

Sure. All I'm saying is that these numbers have to frce Jeb to change things up somehow. Waiting for Trump to blow over doesn't look like it's going to work.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #655
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'll just keep pointing to the past on this one - the race will change a lot between now and Super Tuesday. Momentum changes. When it does, the numbers change rapidly.

We're still five+ months out. Trump has name recognition, and now people are quite aware that saying you support Trump really, really upsets the media. I didn't think he'd cross 30, but I still think his chances of winning the nomination approach 0.

If the economy starts to goes backwards, along with the recent downward market slip, and I think it will (I wouldn't be too shocked if US enters another recession next year), it only works to Trump's advantage.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-26-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #656
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Had to laugh at that Univision reporter that got booted insisting that he 'had the right' to ask a question. Has he never been to a press conference before? All political press conferences are staged at some level, even in the White House. They know who to call on and what the questions will be at some level. The fact that the defamation suit against Univision is still going didn't improve his chances.

As for his assertion that 11 million people can't be sent out of the country, he can argue the logistics of doing that, but Trump is on pretty firm ground from a legal perspective. They are in the country illegally whether that guy likes it or not.

Also, I'll add that a lot of these reporters are totally handling Trump incorrectly. They're so used to the typical politician where you can call them out in public and they'll feel shame or back off their previous assertions. You can't do that with Trump. He's not backing down and he believes what he's saying. You're never going to be able to nail him down like that. In most cases, it only makes him look stronger. They're going to have to find a different way to attack them if they want to knock him down because traditional media methods simply don't work.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-26-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #657
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And, despite all the GOP hand-wringing (and the Dem's secret hope), the Trump thing is going to play out just like you would expect. He won't be a factor at all: Trump May Soon Rule Out Third Party Bid : Political Wire
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #658
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think we all realized there was a limit as to how much money he was going to throw away.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #659
molson
General Manager

I'd love to see both Trump and Sanders run as independents, just so neither are outright handing the election to the other side, and just so the established parties freak the fuck out and have to change the entire gameplan of how to run an election.

And I don't think Trump signing a pledge rules out anything.

Last edited by molson : 08-28-2015 at 10:26 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #660
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump would be as rich or richer if he would have put his inheritance in an index fund.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/2/9248963/...ump-index-fund
Old 09-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #661
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think the others need to attack things like this with Trump-less that ideal financial decisions that cost his companies millions-show that's he's not some genius economic mind.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #662
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ok, as far as the Rep nom goes, Trump actually came out put some distance between himself and everyone else in a way that might make people listen.

Quote:
He called the Iran nuclear agreement "a disastrous deal" and "a horrible contract," but said he would work with it........But Trump, a wealthy businessman, reiterated his view that too much money was at stake and his rivals were wrong to say they would rip it up.

He goes on to break from some of the other candidates with:

Quote:
Closer to home, Trump also eschewed rivals on the Kentucky battle over gay marriage......."We are a nation of laws," Trump said. "The decision's been made, and that's the law of the land."

Just from a "what's it going to take to break from the pack" mentality, I think this is a smart move in. The idea of playing with the cards you are dealt is going to resonate a lot more with some people opposed to constant drone of repeal, repeal, repeal.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #663
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trump confuses me. I have no idea what to make of this candidacy.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #664
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Trump confuses me. I have no idea what to make of this candidacy.

It's great for comedians.

In all truthfulness though he's my second or third favorite republican candidate at the moment.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #665
Dutch
"Dutch"

Love him or hate him, he's destroyed your candidate's air time/relevancy at the moment.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #666
molson
General Manager

I thought it was going to be a joke, but when you're as far ahead as he is four months before the primaries start, you're relevant. Well, maybe it's still a joke, but it's a relevant joke.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #667
SackAttack
Head Coach

Not sure I'd vote for Trump. I don't know which Trump I'd be getting - the liberal version from the past, the angry conservative from the last few years, or the insurgent candidate who's freaking out the establishment.

But I love that he's forced Scott Walker to go "me too, me too!" and Walker still isn't gaining any traction for it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #668
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rick Perry is the first one out of the pool.

Rick Perry Drops Out of Presidential Race - Bloomberg Politics
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #669
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Honestly surprised it took him this long to drop out when reports came out about his campaign running dry in late June.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #670
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What happens to SuperPac money is a case like Perry's? They still have tens of millions of dollars.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #671
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
What happens to SuperPac money is a case like Perry's? They still have tens of millions of dollars.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #672
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He can't even leave a race correctly.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #673
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

Dear God that goes on for 5 minutes....
Old 09-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #674
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

what a waste of money-his and his super-PAC-never should have returned to a presidential race after last time
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:42 AM   #675
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Perry legit scared me. I know he's from Texas, but he reminds me so much of Bush. It's basically unreal that he couldn't win the nomination in 2012 and doubling down this year was just foolish.

I'm kinda curious who the "values voters" will flock too. Seems like Huckabee, Santorum and Jindal are all redundant to Carson.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #676
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Perry's support looks like my failed orbital trajectories in KSP.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #677
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump is a master bullshitter.

Quote:
Trump Says His Deportation Plan Will Only Take '18 Months To 2 Years If Properly Handled'

Obviously he's got no data to back this up, but he picks a range that's just plausible enough. If you're going to get by in life n bullshit, Trump is a good role model.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #678
digamma
Torchbearer

Well, it helps to start out with a load of cash to bs around with. Doesn't work for the two dollar bs'er.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #679
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Trump is a master bullshitter.

Obviously he's got no data to back this up, but he picks a range that's just plausible enough. If you're going to get by in life n bullshit, Trump is a good role model.

"If Properly Handled" could probably be parsed as "If Properly Funded"

You're not deporting 5.5 million people/year without a serious increase in resources for ICE.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #680
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. He's talking @15000 people every day for two years. Not gonna happen.

But, wonderful bullshit for his supporters.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #681
PilotMan
Head Coach

You guys are missing the point. He qualifies the statement with "if properly handled." He's basically posting his own out when it doesn't work. Passing the blame somewhere else when he fails to meet the timeline.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #682
tarcone
Coordinator

So he's speaking like a politician. Same stuff, different day.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #683
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You guys are missing the point. He qualifies the statement with "if properly handled." He's basically posting his own out when it doesn't work. Passing the blame somewhere else when he fails to meet the timeline.

Absolutely. That's part of the brilliance of the bullshit.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #684
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah. He's talking @15000 people every day for two years. Not gonna happen.

But, wonderful bullshit for his supporters.

The issue to me is that a reasonably significant portion of undocumented folk in the US are people who came legally on visas and overstayed the visa.

If the system lost track of those people that way in the first place, how are you going to find them quickly enough to deport 15k people/day?
Old 09-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #685
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And how do you physically deport them? Drive them to Jaurez and force them off the bus? Drop them off on the U.S. side and threaten to shoot them? Do we take them to their home country or try to drop them all in Mexico?

There's no way a deportation plan can work without tons of money, lots more people in enforcement and a willingness to spend day after day with brutal video of people being detained and forcibly expelled.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #686
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And how do you physically deport them? Drive them to Jaurez and force them off the bus? Drop them off on the U.S. side and threaten to shoot them? Do we take them to their home country or try to drop them all in Mexico?

By any means necessary.

Quote:
a willingness to spend day after day with brutal video of people being detained and forcibly expelled.

Those that lack it can get the fuck out too afaic. They're as big a drain on the nation as the invaders, and twice as despicable.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #687
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Those that lack it can get the fuck out too afaic. They're as big a drain on the nation as the invaders, and twice as despicable.

Said Jesus.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #688
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

So...to make sure I have this straight...you want all invaders kicked out of the territory between the 49th parallel and the Rio Grande?
Old 09-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #689
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Said Jesus.

I ain't the one big on the whole "separation of church and state" thing buuuuuut ....
Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #690
miked
College Starter

You guys are once again arguing with stupid. Rednecks will be rednecks.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #691
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
You guys are once again arguing with stupid. Rednecks will be rednecks.

It's really cute how you just roam around & troll me, none of the invisible mods here give a damn so knock yourself out. If it wasn't so silly, it'd be cute how you zoom in now & again. Sad more than cute really but {shrug} that's the internet.

If you ever find yourself in Athens - heck, within an hour of Athens even - do let me know. I hate car travel but I'd be willing to endure at least an hour of it just for the opportunity. I'd love to give you the opportunity to say alllll the shit you like to talk in person, let you really enjoy it, give you a lifetime highlight, a memory you'd never forget. Seriously, if you're ever in the neighborhood, it'd be a shame not to let me know.

You can even have the first word. I'll make no promise about the last one though.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #692
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Both of you, please take some time away from this item.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #693
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Now that Trump's up to 30% or more, how long until pundits start saying that despite their earlier misgivings, they now see that Trump is indeed the sole and true heir to Reagan?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #694
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

When your top 2 candidates in the GOP right now are Trump and a Neurosurgeon who doesn't believe in evolution, you have serious, serious issues.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #695
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Am I really going to have to vote for one of Trump/Carson/Cruz vs Clinton/Sanders? Ugh, talk about your uninspiring choices. This must have been what it was like to be a Democrat the year John Kerry won the nomination.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #696
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Not just in America, but all over the world, a significant percentage of voters simply want someone who isn't a politician. And it's not just a Conservative or a Liberal movement.

Wednesday, we'll have a reminder that Trump isn't a politician. And we'll have a reminder that he's not very presidential.

It will be interesting to see how that's reflected in the polls. While I can't see him winning, and we're still a long way from any voting that counts, he's staying at 30 longer than I thought he would.

I'm even less worried about Carson. The religious right is better about coalescing around a favorite candidate. Santorum won Iowa four years ago and Huckabee four years before that. The mainstream candidate behind them in February is in wonderful shape.

I still think it's Bush/Rubio.

On the D-side, because there are no debates and because Hillary is essentially running against her email server, I'm not surprised Sanders caught fire. His anti-business message is reflected around the world.

However, Biden is smart to wait. There's still an opportunity there, and at some point, the crowds will probably decline for Sanders. When they do, it's the right time to step in. If they don't, then Sanders probably would have won anyway.

I know the oddsmakers still like Hillary for president. Maybe they're right, but Hillary is dropping weekly. She was under 1/1 a month or so ago, now it's more like 5/4.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #697
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Am I really going to have to vote for one of Trump/Carson/Cruz vs Clinton/Sanders? Ugh, talk about your uninspiring choices. This must have been what it was like to be a Democrat the year John Kerry won the nomination.

I seriously just took a bit of time checking out the positions and track record of a good chunk of the legitimate contenders, and...yeah. I absolutely cannot vote for any of these fucks.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #698
Dutch
"Dutch"

At this point, I'm rooting for a bush/Rubio vs Clinton final...otherwise, this just entertainment.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #699
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Trump vs Sanders is maximum fun.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #700
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That would indeed maximize the percentage of Americans promising to move to Canada after the election. Perhaps Canada should build a wall.