Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2024, 08:24 PM   #551
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Wait? When did those start getting fixed?
It was around 1985 when they first started being able to do it arthroscopically, which greatly improved the chances of full recovery. Took another ten years or so to get the physical therapy to a point that the majority of people have near full recovery.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:11 AM   #552
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Well-run teams quietly do things like this on a random Monday before the draft. No muss. No drama. Just lock up a good young player at a fair price.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-15-2024 at 10:11 AM.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:56 AM   #553
QuikSand
lolzcat

Do we think that Jaylen Waddle is probably at about the same market value? He'd expect to get 25/yr overall with a similarly heavy guarantee? (I'd guess so)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:00 AM   #554
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that they are certainly in the same zip code.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick Smith (though I am not sure how much of that is some nagging prejudice I have that Waddle is benefitting from Miami's "gimmick" offense).

My guess is that one the theory of the next guy always signs for a little more than the previous guy, Waddle re-signs for a sliver higher than this.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:34 AM   #555
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A week before the draft, one of the draftees dies...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...aft-rcna148392
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:38 AM   #556
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Steelers looking to draft a 4th QB...

and uh...just what is with the "mock Drafts". Are these connected to the teams at all or just article writers guessing
Old 04-19-2024, 07:19 AM   #557
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

24/7 content generation. I haven't looked at a single one of them, aside from a couple of team-specific deep dives. I just don't care. No matter what is written before the draft, the draft is still going to happen and we'll see the outcome soon enough. I don't care to read some dude filling out an entire 7 round draft. That's just absurd. But then again, I also refuse to watch the 3 hour pregame shows. I am long past the age where any of that stuff interests me in the least. I tune in about 30 seconds before kickoff.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:24 AM   #558
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There is one Saints writer who is plugged in. And he's very careful not to overtly say what his sources are telling him. But if you pay attention and know how to pick up the breadcrumbs, you can get a sense of what the team is going to do. So I follow him.

But otherwise, I agree with K that most of what is out there is people just making content without any more inside information than you or I have.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:31 AM   #559
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Oh the word "mock" clued me in on the fact that it isn't real...I just wondered what the hell was up with them. They make it sound like it's officially from the NFL but ...but...but...
Old 04-19-2024, 08:05 AM   #560
Bobble
College Prospect

I know there are some Lions fans on here. Rather than a mock draft, a knowledgeable fan put together a fit list for the Lions on reddit here: bo77_fit_list. His research and knowledge of the game lead him to believe that these are guys the Lions would want and would fit in their scheme.

Something like this is way more useful to me than some rando's mock draft that barely considers positional weaknesses.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:48 AM   #561
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
24/7 content generation. I haven't looked at a single one of them, aside from a couple of team-specific deep dives. I just don't care. No matter what is written before the draft, the draft is still going to happen and we'll see the outcome soon enough. I don't care to read some dude filling out an entire 7 round draft. That's just absurd. But then again, I also refuse to watch the 3 hour pregame shows. I am long past the age where any of that stuff interests me in the least. I tune in about 30 seconds before kickoff.

Yep. I stopped watching pregame shows and halftime shows a long time ago. Such a waste of time! I like to let the game get ahead of me and then blast through all the ads and halftime crap. The only postgame show I ever watch is NFL Primetime, and that's pretty rare too.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:39 PM   #562
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I know there are some Lions fans on here. Rather than a mock draft, a knowledgeable fan put together a fit list for the Lions on reddit here: bo77_fit_list. His research and knowledge of the game lead him to believe that these are guys the Lions would want and would fit in their scheme.

Something like this is way more useful to me than some rando's mock draft that barely considers positional weaknesses.

That’s awesome!! Thanks for sharing it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:42 PM   #563
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I’ve said many times that I would zero interest in attending the draft live. I don’t like crowds and the event feels made for TV - being able to relax at home, look up players drafted online, do something else during down time and all of that.

I turned 50 this year and for my birthday, my wife got me two VIP tickets for round one. She works in politics and knows the woman who was setting the draft up for the city of Detroit. I couldn’t pass that up, so I’ll be there live on Thursday night. It should be fun!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-19-2024, 10:12 PM   #564
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I’ve said many times that I would zero interest in attending the draft live. I don’t like crowds and the event feels made for TV - being able to relax at home, look up players drafted online, do something else during down time and all of that.

I turned 50 this year and for my birthday, my wife got me two VIP tickets for round one. She works in politics and knows the woman who was setting the draft up for the city of Detroit. I couldn’t pass that up, so I’ll be there live on Thursday night. It should be fun!

Nice! I'm with you, I hate crowds and the draft looks like nonsense these days, but if you lean into I'm sure you'll have a blast!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:19 PM   #565
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Nice! I'm with you, I hate crowds and the draft looks like nonsense these days, but if you lean into I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Yeah, I don't care for crowds either, but if I had an opportunity like that, I'd go once for the experience.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:05 AM   #566
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Why don't we just hang out here for the draft and have our own pizza party
Old 04-20-2024, 08:00 PM   #567
QuikSand
lolzcat

Why not toss a 6th or 7th on this cat?

https://x.com/alex_kozora/status/178...k0QxGYTxadQwhA
Old 04-20-2024, 08:02 PM   #568
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There is one Saints writer who is plugged in. And he's very careful not to overtly say what his sources are telling him. But if you pay attention and know how to pick up the breadcrumbs, you can get a sense of what the team is going to do. So I follow him.

But otherwise, I agree with K that most of what is out there is people just making content without any more inside information than you or I have.

Underhill, I presume. He’s excellent.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:24 PM   #569
QuikSand
lolzcat

Love delving into return standouts for late round value...

Lideatrick 'Tulu' Griffin Highlights - YouTube

Tulu Griffin, welcome to my mock drafts.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:57 PM   #570
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another later round guy I like a lot:

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/2024...raft-interview

https://ras.football/ras-information/

Versatile, smart, very athletic— yes please.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-21-2024 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:34 AM   #571
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As we talk about late round guys, the Athletic Podcast liked this guy: Tyrone Tracy Jr. Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Guys with RB/WR/Return skills can be such weapons when used by an offensive coach with imagination.

Tracy's not going to be a standard 3-down back. But getting a mini-Cordarrelle Patterson on your team for a 4th/5th rounder? Hell yes!
Old 04-22-2024, 01:47 PM   #572
Ksyrup

Zack Wilson is Payton's master plan huh?

I suppose after 44 years it's time to put my fandom up for sale.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-22-2024, 02:30 PM   #573
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ehhh there’s gotta be at least a tiny chance he gets his mojo back
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:42 PM   #574
Ksyrup

My daughter sent me a pic of Stidham, Dinucci and Wilson and said "what a room." I replied - "Looks more like a broom closet."
Old 04-22-2024, 03:36 PM   #575
Danny
Head Coach

Payton getting paid either way. These head coach gurus just dont have the same success once their hall of fame quarterbacks are gone.

Last edited by Danny : 04-22-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:04 PM   #576
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't like Wilson at all but it's clear Denver is going through a long rebuild here. They have over $50 million in dead cap from Wilson this season and another $35 million next year. This season will likely be a soft tank, they'll draft a QB high in 2025, and start the rebuild process.

Think it's a better strategy than what New Orleans does by just adding high priced mid-tier QBs and never getting out of cap hell.

Should add that this is the same strategy the Bears used when Poles took over and it seems to be working somewhat well if you think the Bears are on the way up.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:54 PM   #577
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Surely Herbert isn’t getting traded, right?

If he was actually available I’d think more than just the Vikings would be in.

Last edited by stevew : 04-22-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:57 PM   #578
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I don't see it, considering Harbaugh seems to have a man crush on Herbert and was the reason he took the Chargers job.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:11 PM   #579
Danny
Head Coach

He is not. If Harbaugh didnt line Sherbert, hed have gone sonewhere else.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:12 PM   #580
Danny
Head Coach

With their cap situation and spanos, Sherbert was their biggest selling point besides money
Old 04-22-2024, 06:13 PM   #581
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I can't imagine. You would think if they were trading him, the best spot would be to Chicago for the #1 pick.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:35 AM   #582
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Apparently the Falcons medical staff talked to Cousins a day too early in free agency or something.

I think that they should lose every pick for the next three drafts.

Tampering is a sin.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:59 AM   #583
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's almost as if you are a Saints fan...
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:00 AM   #584
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It's almost as if you are a Saints fan...

Old 04-23-2024, 11:25 AM   #585
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks, Matty Ice.

You got us close to the promise land and helped stablize the Falcons after the Vick fiasco.

Quote:
After 15 seasons, four Pro Bowls and a Most Valuable Player award, former Atlanta Falcons and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Matt Ryan announced his retirement Monday, officially ending the career of one of the most durable and consistent players of his generation.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:44 PM   #586
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Apparently the Falcons medical staff talked to Cousins a day too early in free agency or something.

I think that they should lose every pick for the next three drafts.

Tampering is a sin.
They are now saying any penalty is not coming before this draft. It seems like such a minor thing, but Mike Florio is so butt-hurt about Cousins leaving the Vikings he has been beating the drum that this is the worst crime ever committed.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:45 PM   #587
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thanks, Matty Ice.

You got us close to the promise land and helped stablize the Falcons after the Vick fiasco.
Greatest Falcon ever.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:55 AM   #588
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Interesting data analysis from RAS.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:22 AM   #589
QuikSand
lolzcat

that's jarring
Old 04-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #590
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Last minute buzz is that the OT run is going to start earlier than people suspect.

That, of course, pushes other players down the board, so maybe one of the Big-3 WRs ends up falling into some lucky team's lap.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:10 AM   #591
Swaggs
Coordinator

The last mock draft I saw in the Athletic did not have a defensive player selected until 12th. Seems crazy that there are no CBs or pass rushers that have blown up this year.

FWIW, they had QBs going 1,2,3, and 5 (Williams, Daniels, Maye, and McCarthy) and receivers going 4,6, and 7 (Harrison Jr., Nabers, and Odunze). This will be an interesting year to look back at, for sure.
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 12:14 PM   #592
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Zack Wilson is Payton's master plan huh?

I suppose after 44 years it's time to put my fandom up for sale.

IF Zach Wilson is successful this year, how do we look at him and who gets the credit?

I feel like Wilson becomes a lesser version of Jared Goff, the Sean Payton is a HOFer train gets going and no one on the Jets coaching staff gets to come within 50 miles of a young QB.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 12:32 PM   #593
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know st Brown is good but 30M/season seems like idiot team money.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:24 PM   #594
Ksyrup

And Penei Sewell next.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:11 PM   #595
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ford family making it rain just before the draft! The contracts will age well. Both guys are foundational players for this franchise.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:15 PM   #596
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I know st Brown is good but 30M/season seems like idiot team money.

#1 receivers going for a lot of money on the open market these days.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:28 PM   #597
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
IF Zach Wilson is successful this year, how do we look at him and who gets the credit?

I feel like Wilson becomes a lesser version of Jared Goff, the Sean Payton is a HOFer train gets going and no one on the Jets coaching staff gets to come within 50 miles of a young QB.

If Wilson is QB1 for even half the season for any reason other than injury or the Broncos are 2-7 and they have nothing left to lose, then this offseason did not go the way it was supposed to. I assumed they brought him in as veteran competition/depth, not to realistically compete for the job. I have to imagine that in mid-February when plans were being solidified to dump Russ, acquiring Zach Wilson to be the starter was not Plan A, B, C, D or E.

But who knows - the guy can probably look good for a game or three. But plenty of guys have done that.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:34 AM   #598
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If Wilson is QB1 for even half the season for any reason other than injury or the Broncos are 2-7 and they have nothing left to lose, then this offseason did not go the way it was supposed to. I assumed they brought him in as veteran competition/depth, not to realistically compete for the job. I have to imagine that in mid-February when plans were being solidified to dump Russ, acquiring Zach Wilson to be the starter was not Plan A, B, C, D or E.

But who knows - the guy can probably look good for a game or three. But plenty of guys have done that.

I don't think Wilson will be a good QB in the long run for the Broncos. The best explanation that anyone can give for the Broncos acquiring Wilson is that they are taking a flyer that the setup in Denver is better for him than the setup in New York. I assume that the Broncos believe that the setup will allow him to play better in Denver than in NY. Not Super Bowl winning QB better, not Pro Bowl level QB better, just better than he was in NY. If that is not the case, then the only reason I can see for bringing him in is that the Broncos are intentionally trying to go 0-16 this season and brought in Wilson to assist in that goal.

Again, IF Wilson is better with the Broncos, we know the narrative about him will change. There is always a narrative change when the bust QB in one organization succeeds in another. Maybe he has been throwing with the wrong hand or he got his eyes checked and someone realized that he was colorblind. Maybe it will be that he no longer has the pressure of being the #2 of his current team. I have no idea what the story will be. I am just curious what it will be and who gets the credit.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:15 AM   #599
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Trey Hendrickson asking to be traded from the Bengals. Wants more financial security than they are willing to give him.

I understand that teams can't afford to keep/obtain every great player they want.

But if you've got this Burrow Super Bowl window, you do what you need to do to keep your elite pass rusher happy and in the fold
Old 04-25-2024, 07:16 AM   #600
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't think Wilson will be a good QB in the long run for the Broncos. The best explanation that anyone can give for the Broncos acquiring Wilson is that they are taking a flyer that the setup in Denver is better for him than the setup in New York. I assume that the Broncos believe that the setup will allow him to play better in Denver than in NY. Not Super Bowl winning QB better, not Pro Bowl level QB better, just better than he was in NY. If that is not the case, then the only reason I can see for bringing him in is that the Broncos are intentionally trying to go 0-16 this season and brought in Wilson to assist in that goal.

Again, IF Wilson is better with the Broncos, we know the narrative about him will change. There is always a narrative change when the bust QB in one organization succeeds in another. Maybe he has been throwing with the wrong hand or he got his eyes checked and someone realized that he was colorblind. Maybe it will be that he no longer has the pressure of being the #2 of his current team. I have no idea what the story will be. I am just curious what it will be and who gets the credit.

I’m betting the answer will be “easy access to hundreds of thousands of Mormon MILFS helped Zach get his mojo back”