Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #701
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'd probably join a fictional league if it had a smaller amount of teams - say 20 or less. CPU-ran teams in online leagues are teh suck. A weekend draft would be nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah I'd be down.

Renegades > Rockets

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #702
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Renegades > Rockets

L-Train > *

Memories... I was actually searching through my old work emails a few weeks back and found some JBL boxscore emails, funnily enough.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #703
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'd probably join a fictional league if it had a smaller amount of teams - say 20 or less. CPU-ran teams in online leagues are teh suck. A weekend draft would be nice too.

Renegades > Rockets

We can customize the league with number of teams, alignments, etc... and expand or contract teams as needed so there are never any AI controlled teams. At this point, there is only a handful of interested people though.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #704
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

question on trade settings

Future #1 pick trade rule is what exactly?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #705
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
question on trade settings

Future #1 pick trade rule is what exactly?

I think it prevents you from having back-to-back seasons without a 1st round pick.

Edit: From the help file:

Quote:
Draft Picks: Teams also may not make a trade that leaves them without a 1st-Round pick in future seasons. This option can be disabled under league options.

I don't think that's an accurate description of the actual ruled used in the NBA.

http://basketball.about.com/od/colle...epien-rule.htm

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-02-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #706
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

CBA Faq is a better source with these things:

How are draft picks handled in trades? What is the Stepien rule?

Ignoring all the stuff about protected picks, they key point is:

Teams are required to have only a first round pick, and not necessarily their own first round pick. Teams may trade away their own future picks in consecutive years if they have another team's first round pick in one of those years.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #707
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

When creating a new league with random players is there a way to not have the players past history show up before the starts. Lets just say I tested the HTML from a league and Joe Johnson shows up in the league as a 29 year old player and his first 6 season before I started the league show up.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #708
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

sent PM with example about html Brian.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #709
Groundhog
Coordinator

Out of interest I started in 46 with the 46 alignment, but set expansion to random and simmed to 2013. There were 4 expansion teams in that period. I think an option to have more dramatic/era-based expansion and contraction would be cool, especially for a fictional league, especially if contraction was tied to finance.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #710
yeah826
High School JV

I was running a NBA-ABA season and I went to draft preview then selected projected order under the ABA league the screen goes blank yet in the NBA screen the projected order shows up.
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #711
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah826 View Post
I was running a NBA-ABA season and I went to draft preview then selected projected order under the ABA league the screen goes blank yet in the NBA screen the projected order shows up.

Got a save? Remember looking for this before but don't remember finding it.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #712
mgsports
n00b

Sometimes the Draft Screen will own show some Players on a Team/projected by to.
Also theirs Overseas Women Leagues.

Last edited by mgsports : 05-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
mgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #713
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
We can customize the league with number of teams, alignments, etc... and expand or contract teams as needed so there are never any AI controlled teams. At this point, there is only a handful of interested people though.

Only a few interested owners? Sounds like we're re-creating basketball's history! 6 TEAM LEAGUE WHOS WITH ME
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #714
korme
Go Reds

When you cut a player, it gives you a prompt. It should be the same for coaches. My mousepad got stuck and I accidentally fired an assistant instead of extending him.. lol.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #715
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Only a few interested owners? Sounds like we're re-creating basketball's history! 6 TEAM LEAGUE WHOS WITH ME

YES! League votes on everything! Shot clock? 3-point line? Foul limit? Dunking? Take them all away! (maybe)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #716
korme
Go Reds

I'm only in if 98% of the league is white (add that feature HR), and the average center is 6-6.

Last edited by korme : 05-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #717
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I'm only in if 98% of the league is white (add that feature HR), and the average center is 6-6.

I assume John Stockton shorts would come standard with this set-up, right?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #718
yeah826
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Got a save? Remember looking for this before but don't remember finding it.

Sent the file
Old 05-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #719
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
So what kind of interest is there in starting up a MP fictional league starting from a creation draft?

I'd be in.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #720
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

******************************************************************************************************************
Version 3.0.12: http://www.fbbgames.com/FBPB3Update3012.exe
******************************************************************************************************************
Fixes:
*Shouldn't be told another teams offer is higher when it is not in FA emails.
*Fixed error 383 when returning to the team stats screen.
*Fixed error 10 that could occur when importing team files.
*Fixed error 340 if you tried to sub out the player currently at the FT Line while coaching.
*Fixed lockup that could occur when hitting sim day on the schedule screen during the playoffs with a team set to human coaching.
*Fixed a bug that allowed DLG teams to cut players assigned to them.
*FBCB imports should not have 0 fouling.
*PT setting wasn't importing/exporting correctly in team files.
*CPU teams should use D2D players in the playoffs.
*Players should not say tired on the main coaching screen but OK on the sub screen.
*Shouldn't see draft prospects averaging 0.0 in certain stats when they have college stats.
*Decreased overall FG% in college stats
*Fixed error 9 that could occur when viewing player achievements when the player has achievements from multiple leagues.
*Fixed freeze during season if human teams have staff vacancies.

Changes:
*When on CPU gameplans, the CPU will always update the gameplan just prior to simming the game.
*Added confirmation when using the fire coach button.
*Added indicator for contract length to the salary display on the trade screen.
*Added initial support for importing FBB 2001 saves under the tools menu. It is best to sim until the start of free agency as that is where the converter will place the league.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #721
yeah826
High School JV

The spurs seem to not exist in the historical leagues after the patch they are in the us basketball league file though. Also I know for seasons where turnovers are not counted handles are randomized but would you be a able to set a limiter on the handles ratings so I dont see tons of center and powers forwards with A handling.

Actually a couple of teams seem to not exist.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-04-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #722
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

The issue is getting on the same page with the historical files. We need to get the rookie draft turned on in the USBA file and make sure the team abbreviation updates I mentioned earlier get applied to the team files. If you are getting teams loading without players then the abbreviations don't match up to the historical database. That was my fault in the initial batch of files but it has been corrected now. What season/seasons are you getting issues with tons of big men with A handling? I'm wondering if there might still be an issue in seasons close to when turnovers started getting tracked.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #723
yeah826
High School JV

I first found it around 1970 but yeah its usually players who ended up playing into where turnovers are counted it affects all positions.

OK I just reinstalled the game and all the mods all the teams are there now.

projected order screen in draft preview is blank. The screen shows up in the next season so I think when a new league is generated (either fictional or the first season of the ABA or the first season of the NBA) the draft preview screen will remain blank even if there are rookies there.

Also Walt Bellamy is a Center originally I was wondering how was he get 40 ppg in 1961 then I realized that his team is horrible they werent even good in real life so at least I got a good explanation on that.

Also I think scoring in 1946 is way too high in my historical everything from that year holds the scoring or rebounding record and ppg I would have expected that from the 1961 season.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-05-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #724
yeah826
High School JV

If I run a fbcb import league from 1946 till 1970 there seems to end up being tons of green blue players filling up the roster it seems that the draft import is too strong. This may stem from during this period I had only seniors enter the draft but still. Unless players are just rated different during this period.

Though I realize as the players get closer to present times the teams start to even out.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-05-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #725
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hey HR,

One thing I would love to see is a "trade-finder" feature.

Putting a player on a trading block and getting interest from CPU controlled teams, along with their trade proposals. And vice-versa, selecting a player from a team, and checking what it would take for the CPU to let that guy go.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #726
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Minor bug. In the League File Editor, if you advance to the Rules or Finances sections you can't go back to Alignment unless you exit out and go back in.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #727
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I set up a fictional 20 team league with 8 playoff teams. 7/7/9 format. The first round went fine, but the second round went best of 9, and the final round was a winner take all affair.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-10-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #728
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Eh, I just realized the issue and it's plain to see in the screenshot. It's "skipping" the first round.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #729
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Eh, I just realized the issue and it's plain to see in the screenshot. It's "skipping" the first round.

It works backwards from round 4. I changed all the labels to make it more obvious and only rounds you are using will be enabled.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #730
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Minor bug. In the League File Editor, if you advance to the Rules or Finances sections you can't go back to Alignment unless you exit out and go back in.

Fixed this as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #731
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah826 View Post
If I run a fbcb import league from 1946 till 1970 there seems to end up being tons of green blue players filling up the roster it seems that the draft import is too strong. This may stem from during this period I had only seniors enter the draft but still. Unless players are just rated different during this period.

Though I realize as the players get closer to present times the teams start to even out.

FBCB imports were balanced for current day drafts.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #732
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
another thing bugging me: Players retire too late/don´t regress enough. Too many 40 year olds playing high level ball (sure the trend goes that way IRL, but not that much)

Yeah, I would think that the athleticism ratings should start declining in the 30's and really bottom out once someone hits 40, but I'm not really seeing that. For example, I've got guards aged 38-40 that still have elite quickness and that just doesn't seem realistic.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #733
QuikSand
lolzcat

Several general observations from playing several seasons with the simple NBA setup:

-Coach/staff demands don't make much sense... After six or seven offseasons of getting every single guy I offered immediately, my HC was out of contract, was asking for an absurdly low $69K salary, I offered him $90K trying to be sure, and in stage one he takes another HC job for $4.6M. The 4.6 is reasonable, actually, but the silly initial demand is not.

-As mentioned, seemingly way too many stud-caliber PG with complete games, and too many past-prime stars who play out 5+ more years in slow, not rapid, decline. I like the idea above of certain skills fading more than others, but seeing lots of former all-stars playing past 40 isn't a good thing.

-anecdotally, I'm seeing a ton of year to year movement at the top of the standings, and a lot more volatility in the playoff outcomes than I'd think warranted. I know the top teams change over time, but seeing a team win 62 games for the 1 seed follow that up with 36 wins and out seems too common here. Seeing a lot of 4-8 seeds in the finals, too.

-A tiny annoyance that ill get over...I hate being on a screen where I'm done with the process involved (draft, free agency) and when I naturally look to the bottom far right and see the word "Exit" I think that's what I click to, you know, exit. No...I need to click "Process" next to it instead.

-I think most of my major frustrations are really with the idiotic financial system of the NBA, and not with your implementation of it. I'm frustrated that I have had the good fortune to draft three stud youngsters, only to watch two be completely unwilling to re-sign and they just walked away. I know that's how the NBA works (especially if you're the lowly Wiz, though they never draft anyone worthwhile to mourn losing) but it makes for a rather flat GM experience. I'm still learning what I ought to do here.

Please understand... I like the game, I'm glad I bought it, and I love your style and sense as a developer. Just tossing out observations...I'm a non-NBA fan who likes sports sims, and I'd happily buy your curling sim if that's what you decided to do next.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #734
yeah826
High School JV

So I been running a FBCB import from 1946-2012 and I just wanted to post some of the color ratings compared to the 2012 historical file and some other tidbits.

My league
22 Blues
70 Green

4 Blue players age 30
1 Blue player over 30

9 Greens age 30
11 Greens over 30

Historical league 2012
22 Blues
66 Green

2 Blues age 30
3 Blues over 30

2 Greens age 30
12 Greens over 30

So everyone is pretty much on the same level it seems though there are just more players available in my league over 30 but that just had more to do with the league running through multiple years so in general the talent distribution is pretty good.

Also star players tend to change teams way to often I know some people may think that teams like the Lakers seem to be able to pull in great free agents but in reality most teams get there players through trades the Lakers havent made a big time free agent signing since Shaq just a little heads up.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #735
korme
Go Reds

I like the personal messages when winning a title, and how they are different for certain #s... it's a nice touch.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #736
skrath
Mascot

Quote:
I set up a fictional 20 team league with 8 playoff teams. 7/7/9 format. The first round went fine, but the second round went best of 9, and the final round was a winner take all affair.

That is amazing I told Goose that I'd export the JBL database for importing if he gives me the DB format. Would be a fun league to follow.

Last edited by skrath : 05-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.
skrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #737
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

It's not the league form anyone probably wants but if you are interested in a small league just IM me. We decided to try one on another site and I've tested and things seem to work.

Basic setup: 8-20 team league, real players with random debuts, 90 million soft cap, present day rules, 60 game season. You pick your city and nickname and teams are placed off geography in divisions.

League name: North American Basketball Federation. So Canada, Mexico and the US supply the teams.

website: NABF @ Simnation.net (yeah, not the sexiest site but who cares, it's a site and all the buttons work). Some know of simnation.net and that is where I'll use the forums.

The test league is posted to show what rosters look like when you hit random. There will be no initial draft but drafts after will be human controlled.

Start date should be soon since it's basically getting teams determined, logos, etc. Takes no time to actually set one up once all that is known/done.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #738
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrath View Post
That is amazing I told Goose that I'd export the JBL database for importing if he gives me the DB format. Would be a fun league to follow.

Hey man! I have many fond memories of the JBL. I was using archive.org to hit up the old site the other day. I actually found a working link to the studio and while I couldn't remember how to get into it I was able to figure out the team colors with the banners that were included haha.

I attached the current NBA CSV's that are included with the game.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-10-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #739
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
-Coach/staff demands don't make much sense... After six or seven offseasons of getting every single guy I offered immediately, my HC was out of contract, was asking for an absurdly low $69K salary, I offered him $90K trying to be sure, and in stage one he takes another HC job for $4.6M. The 4.6 is reasonable, actually, but the silly initial demand is not.

Agreed.

Quote:
-As mentioned, seemingly way too many stud-caliber PG with complete games, and too many past-prime stars who play out 5+ more years in slow, not rapid, decline. I like the idea above of certain skills fading more than others, but seeing lots of former all-stars playing past 40 isn't a good thing.

There is definitely an issue with physical attributes remaining high too long and I do want to see certain skills decline faster than others. I'll be working towards making that the reality.

Quote:
-anecdotally, I'm seeing a ton of year to year movement at the top of the standings, and a lot more volatility in the playoff outcomes than I'd think warranted. I know the top teams change over time, but seeing a team win 62 games for the 1 seed follow that up with 36 wins and out seems too common here. Seeing a lot of 4-8 seeds in the finals, too.

I'd think that part of the variation from season to season has to be caused by so many elite players on the move. That will hurt cohesion as well. Once that is balanced a little better we can see if too many lower seeds are advancing.

Quote:
-I think most of my major frustrations are really with the idiotic financial system of the NBA, and not with your implementation of it. I'm frustrated that I have had the good fortune to draft three stud youngsters, only to watch two be completely unwilling to re-sign and they just walked away. I know that's how the NBA works (especially if you're the lowly Wiz, though they never draft anyone worthwhile to mourn losing) but it makes for a rather flat GM experience. I'm still learning what I ought to do here.

My goal with free agency going forward will be that younger players should be much more likely to re-sign while veterans will be more likely to test free agency. I'm also open to having most players that don't already want a max deal be willing to re-sign with the ones that previously wouldn't re-sign having higher contract demands. I think this would add more strategy to the experience.

Quote:
Please understand... I like the game, I'm glad I bought it, and I love your style and sense as a developer. Just tossing out observations...I'm a non-NBA fan who likes sports sims, and I'd happily buy your curling sim if that's what you decided to do next.

I appreciate the feedback. The scope of the game ended up being much larger than I had initially intended so certain areas definitely have room for improvement. More detailed feedback helps me work out in my head the best way to handle things going forward.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #740
QuikSand
lolzcat

Many thanks.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #741
Groundhog
Coordinator

HR, is there any way to either add an additional league to the historical database, or to modify it from outside of the game?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #742
yeah826
High School JV

So im simulating the 1980 season just to see the results and I see the celtics trade Kevin Mchale and Robert Parrish replacing them with Sidney Moncrief Bernard King and World B Free needless to say Bird got moved to center. So this team goes all the way to the NBA finals where they lose to Robert Parrish who apparently got traded back to his old team Golden State where the warriors ended up winning in 6 games.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-07-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #743
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
HR, is there any way to either add an additional league to the historical database, or to modify it from outside of the game?

Adding another league isn't out of the question but it would have to be done by me. I'd have to make a few changes to the file to support it. There is no way of editing outside of the game as I didn't want it to be easy for anyone to borrow that information.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 AM   #744
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ahh gotcha, can understand that.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #745
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Hey HR,

One thing I would love to see is a "trade-finder" feature.

Putting a player on a trading block and getting interest from CPU controlled teams, along with their trade proposals. And vice-versa, selecting a player from a team, and checking what it would take for the CPU to let that guy go.

Hey HR,

Any thoughts on the above? Would it be something that can potentially be in the pipeline? I'm thinkig something similar to the trade finder feature in NBA2K's association mode.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #746
yeah826
High School JV

So i encountered a bug so I ran a league using the 2012 historical file and i ran a creation draft through it. After the draft I set my line up and start the season. Well after the preseason and the first game the game will not simulate past october 30 and the game just freezes up and will not continue.

It wont let me save it will let me look at other rosters and click on the help file and all the tabs on the right which let me save by hitting exit.

When I try to load up this league I get an error code 7 out of memory.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-07-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #747
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey HR,

Any thoughts on the above? Would it be something that can potentially be in the pipeline? I'm thinkig something similar to the trade finder feature in NBA2K's association mode.

I would love this. Or even a "add to trade list" button that would maybe see teams send you through offers if anyone was interested over a period of time.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #748
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My gut says a trade block wouldn't work as well as everyone would like because of the underlying problems with the game overvaluing players like PGs for example.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #749
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
My gut says a trade block wouldn't work as well as everyone would like because of the underlying problems with the game overvaluing players like PGs for example.

Which can be fixed.....
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #750
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey HR,

There is something like that on the to do list Neon.

Last edited by muns : 05-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote