MrBug708
Head Coach

Anything is possible, according to NC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #252
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Retired Officer - You are a retired police officer, living your life out in this small village. Thanks to your police training, you are skilled in the ways of gunslinging. You may choose to protect one person each night from being killed by the Mafia. You may choose yourself, but cannot choose the same person in consecutive nights.

Just reading this from the first post. If the Retired Officer protects somebody, would we know?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:09 PM   #253
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Or else the Mafia figured "Hell, they aren't onto us yet anyway, why risk exposing ourselves? Let 'em do it themselves."

(Can they do that?)
I would guess they could. I wouldn't imagine Neon stopping them. Wouldn't make much sense, IMO. I think they found the son, bribed someone, heck maybe they kidnapped someone.

All I know is we're sucking.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #254
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Just reading this from the first post. If the Retired Officer protects somebody, would we know?
Ooh! I hadn't thought of that! Would we know?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #255
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Ooh! I hadn't thought of that! Would we know?

That's the thing. I figure if protecting = killing assailant, then yes, we would.

Otherwise...unless either the protected or protectee knows (and outs the knowledge), then we'd be blissfully unaware.

Now, the problem is that we can't be sure the guardee would be telling the truth if he says "Yes, I was protected from death last night," because what's going to prove it if we wouldn't otherwise know? He could be telling the truth, or he could be a Mafioso.

If he's telling the truth, where's his percentage in attracting the spotlight to himself? If he's a Mafioso, that goes double.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:18 PM   #256
MrBug708
Head Coach

It would be a huge coincidence though, if the mafia went to kill the person that the police went to protect.

Seems like they probably went to bribe or found the mafia's son...
Old 08-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #257
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I don't think we can ask the police guy to come out since he'd probably be a target for the mafia so I don't think we'll know if it was that. Leaning towards bribery/lost son myself.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:28 PM   #258
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
It would be a huge coincidence though, if the mafia went to kill the person that the police went to protect.

Seems like they probably went to bribe or found the mafia's son...

About one chance in 200, by my calculations, that the officer and mafioso chose the same person. Again, always assuming we don't know the event occurred.

I'd imagine the Mafia role allows them to check one person per night for ties to the Don, but what I wonder is, with multiple Mafia members, can one search for the Don's son, while another kills a random villager? Or do they have to act in concert, whatever their night action?
Old 08-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #259
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
I don't think we can ask the police guy to come out since he'd probably be a target for the mafia so I don't think we'll know if it was that. Leaning towards bribery/lost son myself.

Agreed. I would prefer he stay incognito, as he'd be too valuable to lose the way things are going right now.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #260
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
About one chance in 200, by my calculations, that the officer and mafioso chose the same person. Again, always assuming we don't know the event occurred.

I'd imagine the Mafia role allows them to check one person per night for ties to the Don, but what I wonder is, with multiple Mafia members, can one search for the Don's son, while another kills a random villager? Or do they have to act in concert, whatever their night action?

Id assume they can do both...one guy scanning, the whole group killing...but remember there are sure to be at least a few hidden roles(witness for one)...NEON'S last game was riddled with them, every person having a role...id imagine were missing, or not sharing, quite a few...for good or bad...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #261
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Id assume they can do both...one guy scanning, the whole group killing...but remember there are sure to be at least a few hidden roles(witness for one)...NEON'S last game was riddled with them, every person having a role...id imagine were missing, or not sharing, quite a few...for good or bad...

I'm certain there are hidden roles, but I'm just as certain that a few of us are plain vanilla.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:49 PM   #262
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Vote Shorty

Vote didn't count, but that's cool. I have legit questionmarks on a certain player and you don't like it because I half-assedly called us idiots for voting someone off who didn't seem like anything more than a villager. Smooth, Schmidty.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #263
Aesyrqwe
High School JV

Gah I come home and find my first WW cut short on day two. I finally came up with a theory though, after getting a chance to really look through all the posts. I'll have to just keep up and see if any of it had some truth. Thanks for the invite to the game

Oh and sorry about the post from the dead, I rarely post on this board so you gotta give me slack on this one

-Aes
#8 Grossman
#33 Tillman
Aesyrqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #264
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Save it and post it at the end of the game. It'll be cool to see what you came up with.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #265
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sorry man, just had to pick someone....
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 AM   #266
Aesyrqwe
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Save it and post it at the end of the game. It'll be cool to see what you came up with.
Yeah I had no intention of talking about the game like that after I was lynched

-Aes
#8 Grossman
#33 Tillman
Aesyrqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:21 AM   #267
Fouts
College Starter

I'm not sure what to think about the no kill, but with 15 of us left we need to come up with some incriminating information. I know I don't look good with the kill of Aesyrqwe, but I was trying to stir up some chatter and we did get some talk going at the end of the day. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

*I won't be on until tomorrow afternoon as I have some appointments in the morning.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:30 AM   #268
kingfc22
Head Coach

Go mafia!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #269
Bek
High School JV

We are really running on a bad streak here...we need to turn things around quickly...the no kill was very interesting...props to the officer if he really did protect someone

*might not be on tommorw as my new job training is taking up most of my time, ill see what I can do...unitl then...
Bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:37 AM   #270
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Vote didn't count, but that's cool. I have legit questionmarks on a certain player and you don't like it because I half-assedly called us idiots for voting someone off who didn't seem like anything more than a villager. Smooth, Schmidty.

Are you sure that's why I voted for you Shorty? If so, you know more than I do.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 AM   #271
Blade6119
Coordinator

This is from a PM i recieved from bek..time stamp was:

Private Messages in Folder: Inbox

08-15-2005 Mafia?!?!?!?!?
11:35 PM Bek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek
Us mafia are staying low well arent we...you villagers have no idea whats going on...and I'm loving it...just watch out for this next night...because we are coming

--Bek
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #272
Blade6119
Coordinator

anyone else have any reason to not lynch him, tell me...but i cant ignore that evidence...i know its early, and regardless of whether or not bek is one of my off-board friends, i just can't let him get away with this. Pending amazing evidence to change my mind:

Vote Bek
Demotivation
Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 AM   #273
SackAttack
Head Coach

Why would he reveal himself like that, though? That's what doesn't make any sense to me.

Either Bek is a Mafioso, and was amazingly stupid to think he could send a PM like that and not have it posted, or you're a Mafioso betting that since we have no idea what's going on right now, that we'll flood to the first sign of a breakthrough.

I'm going to have to hold off for now and watch how the rest of the day unfolds.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #274
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Are you sure that's why I voted for you Shorty? If so, you know more than I do.

You already criticized me in a prior post, it's not hard to go from Point A to Point B. That's real funny how you try to say as you little as you can to provoke me. Interesting.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:02 AM   #275
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Why would he reveal himself like that, though? That's what doesn't make any sense to me.

Either Bek is a Mafioso, and was amazingly stupid to think he could send a PM like that and not have it posted, or you're a Mafioso betting that since we have no idea what's going on right now, that we'll flood to the first sign of a breakthrough.

I'm going to have to hold off for now and watch how the rest of the day unfolds.

I think the thing you forget is bek is one of my best friends...we talk about the game when we hang out, and he has repeatedly told me he couldnt tell me his role...after i called him a mafia bastard when i got mad at him for voting me(a friendly insult, but still a jest) he sent that back...i fet it proper to share..do with it what you will, but i thought that any evidence i had should come forward for the benefit of the group...if i dit on it it only leads to more death, and coming out with it in three days would meet the same spectisim...i also dont think it makes the mafia want to kill me, since it doesnt allow me info on other members...its a mistake he made, and i hope you take it as such
Demotivation
Old 08-16-2005, 02:03 AM   #276
korme
Go Reds

Wow, Blade. Pretty strong conviction on bek right there if you aren't hosing us. I'll be curious to see how other people feel about this, but it's about the only thing we might be going on right now, so yeah...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:37 AM   #277
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the thing you forget is bek is one of my best friends...we talk about the game when we hang out, and he has repeatedly told me he couldnt tell me his role...after i called him a mafia bastard when i got mad at him for voting me(a friendly insult, but still a jest) he sent that back...i fet it proper to share..do with it what you will, but i thought that any evidence i had should come forward for the benefit of the group...if i dit on it it only leads to more death, and coming out with it in three days would meet the same spectisim...i also dont think it makes the mafia want to kill me, since it doesnt allow me info on other members...its a mistake he made, and i hope you take it as such

Not criticizing you, don't misunderstand.

I'm just saying that if we take it at face value, as it appears intended, it can only go one of those two ways.

A third possibility is that he's trying to fuck with your mind, but again, he has to have realized the possibility of it getting posted, and I have to wonder why he would do that - and leave hard evidence - if he's an innocent villager just pulling your leg. It'd be much safer to say something like that man-to-man where it's just your word against his.

That last seems the least likely, so it still boils down to that either-he-is-or-you-are scenario. I hope somebody else has some information that can shed light one way or the other, because we can't afford another "oops."
Old 08-16-2005, 02:39 AM   #278
SackAttack
Head Coach

dola,

I also didn't know previously that you and Bek were buds, but it still comes down to the same thing. Either he is, and screwed up, or you are, and overplayed your hand too soon, or he's trying to screw with you outside the game and picked a really dumb way to do it.

I'd almost prefer the first option. It would at least be a break in an otherwise stone-cold case.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 AM   #279
Bek
High School JV

ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I may be new to the forum, but im not stupid. Why in the world would i reveal me role. I think that the real threat here is blade...he saw my last comment about maybe not being able to get on and thought he would try to take out another villager tonight...well let me tell you something... he got caught red-handed. I was just heading off for the rest of the evening and decided to check it one more time... and to my surprise i see this stunt trying to be pulled...with this stunt I can only believe that blade is mafia so im going to make my vote now...

Vote Blade6119
Old 08-16-2005, 03:06 AM   #280
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek
ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I may be new to the forum, but im not stupid. Why in the world would i reveal me role. I think that the real threat here is blade...he saw my last comment about maybe not being able to get on and thought he would try to take out another villager tonight...well let me tell you something... he got caught red-handed. I was just heading off for the rest of the evening and decided to check it one more time... and to my surprise i see this stunt trying to be pulled...with this stunt I can only believe that blade is mafia so im going to make my vote now...

Vote Blade6119

Do you deny sending him that PM, then?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:12 AM   #281
Bek
High School JV

I dont deny sending it but he took it out of context...he was calling me a mafia bastard out of forum(like he said a friendly jest)...i just happend to return the favor and play along with him thinking I'm mafia and send that wonderfully crafted PM back to him...If I'm to be faulted for anything then its for returning the jest in forum...If you do kill me you will find out that I'm not mafia, and once again us villagers have made another "oops"
Old 08-16-2005, 03:27 AM   #282
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
You already criticized me in a prior post, it's not hard to go from Point A to Point B. That's real funny how you try to say as you little as you can to provoke me. Interesting.

I jokingly called you a rookie. Didn't realize you were that sensitive or that you were taking the game so seriously. I'm actually not trying to provoke you at all. If you can't handle getting voted for in a game, maybe you shouldn't play.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:41 AM   #283
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I jokingly called you a rookie. Didn't realize you were that sensitive or that you were taking the game so seriously. I'm actually not trying to provoke you at all. If you can't handle getting voted for in a game, maybe you shouldn't play.
^
|
Man with history of sensitivity issues. You can play it off, but you were trying to bait me, I will not play along, and suspicion for you mounts!

Last edited by korme : 08-16-2005 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:43 AM   #284
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek
I dont deny sending it

enough said....you cant say that...simple as black and white
Demotivation
Old 08-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #285
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Frikken wierd.

Why would Bek send that and why would Blade twist it when there is no need to get aggressive like that.

The whole situation makes no sense.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #286
digamma
Torchbearer

So, the summary for last night is we have three options (and two of them don't look so good):

1. Don's son was found. Add one more to the mafia total.
2. Some sort of secret bribe. Add one more to the mafia total.
3. The retired officer blocked the kill. Things remain the same. (A win for the villagers.)

Now, onto today, this Bek-Blade thing makes absolutely no sense.

Why would Bek send a truthful PM like that?
If Bek didn't send the PM, why would Blade make it up?
Is Bek screwing with Blade?
Where can I get a good cup of coffee?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #287
RealDeal
High School Varsity

RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:20 AM   #288
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek

Vote Blade6119

I agree with Bek here. Seems alittle fishy that Blade would wait until Bek says he won't be back for some time to release this "evidence" to us. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out why Bek would reveal himself in this manner and not think it was going to get back to the forum. I think Blade is trying to pull something here. Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:28 AM   #289
Bek
High School JV

Quote:
Just ask, apparently im quite good at that

This being to Jeff's first post of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
With a lack of a seer we need to spark confrontation, I think.

This is all he is doing to us villagers. Sending us down a road that is only going to get another one of us killed. We have to look who started this whole confrontation...which leads us the the doorstep of blade's house...lets not let a mafia member slip through our fingers when we have the chance to lynch one
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 AM   #290
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
I agree with Bek here. Seems alittle fishy that Blade would wait until Bek says he won't be back for some time to release this "evidence" to us. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out why Bek would reveal himself in this manner and not think it was going to get back to the forum. I think Blade is trying to pull something here. Any ideas?

Bek has already confirmed that he sent the PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bek
I dont deny sending it but he took it out of context...he was calling me a mafia bastard out of forum(like he said a friendly jest)...i just happend to return the favor and play along with him thinking I'm mafia and send that wonderfully crafted PM back to him...If I'm to be faulted for anything then its for returning the jest in forum...If you do kill me you will find out that I'm not mafia, and once again us villagers have made another "oops"

But he maintains it was taken out of context, that he isn't really a Mafioso, but that a joke he was playing on Blade backfired. Why he would do so on the board instead of in person since the two are apparently off-board friends makes no sense. If you aren't, what can it profit you to make such a comment?

Never mind the possibility that Blade himself is a Mafioso, thus giving him a prime opportunity to offer you as the sacrificial lamb and make himself appear more trusted.

If Bek IS Mafioso, then his buddies have to be pretty pissed off with him right now.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #291
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well to be honest, you shouldn't be PMing someone you are currently engaged in the game with, unless your role dictates it.

Bolded for someone else .

In anycase I'm of the opinion they are both villagers, just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:36 AM   #292
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
In anycase I'm of the opinion they are both villagers, just doesn't make sense otherwise.

This is the only conclusion I can come to as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #293
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I agree with digamma and jeff. Just seems way to weird to be true, but I guess ya never know...
Old 08-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #294
SackAttack
Head Coach

I can't come to any conclusion where Bek is a Mafioso. It just doesn't make any sense for him to out himself this way.

The problem is, I can't come up with a profitable line of reasoning for why Blade would up and post the PM right away, rather than - if he truly believes Bek is guilty - try and build another argument and bring up the PM if he needs something to buttress it.

By posting the PM immediately, he achieves one of three results:

1) Immediate condemnation of Bek followed by his subsequent lynching. This is followed by either:
1a) Cheers as Bek turns out to be Mafia, or
1b) Blade's immediate lynching for what seems to be a frame-up of a villager. If Blade is Mafioso, after all, he would know who his cohorts are, and thus he would know if Bek is truly Mafia.
2) General apathy because of the oddness of the scenario (which seems to be unfolding so far)
3) Suspicion of Blade himself because of the immediacy of his vote.

I did some thinking about this during my statistics class.

If the Mafia did convert somebody last night, either by finding the Don's Son, or by bribing somebody, then they potentially number as high as 4 of the remaining 15 players. Their end-game is to reach a 1:1 ratio, meaning they only need to off seven of us, plus one additional for any of theirs that die.

Assuming that there are four Mafioso right now, and 11 villagers, consider this scenario: Blade is Mafioso, and seized on an innocent joke from his friend as an opportunity to lynch a villager. The Mafia get an opportunity to kill somebody tonight (unless the Retired Officer saves the day), and this time tomorrow morning, there are still 4 Mafia, but now only 9 villagers. Where things go at this point depend largely upon whether people give Blade a pass for his reading of the PM, or if they determine he is Mafioso and lynch him. And, most importantly, whether he actually IS Mafioso.

If both Bek and Blade are innocent, then two days hence we could conceivably be in a 7-4 situation, and in deep, deep doo-doo.

But I keep coming back to the fact that if Blade were innocent, why would he stick his neck out so far, so quickly, based on a PM from someone with whom he's friendly off-board - someone who might be expected to engage in some tomfoolery?

I can respect the "I wanted to get the information out there in case it was important" line, but why not play your cards a little closer to the vest in the first place and try to draw Bek out, rather than go all-in on your hole cards?

vote Blade6119, until we get some better information.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #295
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, as far as I can tell I'll probably end up sticking with my vote from yesterday. I think yesterdays voting was even less helpful than day one. Hopefully it will benefit more towards the end of the game.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #296
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I can respect the "I wanted to get the information out there in case it was important" line, but why not play your cards a little closer to the vest in the first place and try to draw Bek out, rather than go all-in on your hole cards?

vote Blade6119, until we get some better information.

As i stated, sitting on this would only delay this same problem...if i brought it up on three days, you would just not believe me then and we would have already lost a few more villagers. Im in no way trying to be overtly aggressive, but after bek had given me countless hints and clues he was mafia during our off-board time, i waited for something concrete and this was it. I can guarantee you one thing, not about bek but about me...if you kill me it will help the mafia...the ratio will get tighter as i count as a villager(and dont yet know any of the mafia...i could soon though if i keep searching at night) and you will lose another tonight...do what you will, but after days of him saying he was mafia, he finally gave me some written evidence and i used it.

At the end of the day, bek is still my buddy, and who you kill wont affect that...i just wanted to help the team and teach him a lesson of what not to do when your mafia...if he isnt mafia, then hes been playing with me for quite some time...and did a damn good job. Oh well, either way ill see you all next game
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 08-16-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #297
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

As an observation, I think any seers we have left should not even hint at their role unless they are about to be lynched or it's late in the game.

Last edited by jeff061 : 08-16-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #298
SackAttack
Head Coach

Blade, if you are truly a villager, you might still be giving away too much.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #299
digamma
Torchbearer

I seem to be always a few minutes behind jeff with my comments, but I too am uncomfortable with a witness reveal this early and with no solid evidence against anyone.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #300
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'd also add, if there was a bribe(I'm assuming this is a convert?) the #1 target would be Sak . Just because he was cleared yesterday and now he's playing up the real/blade situation.

You Mafia veterans know what all these roles and actions are and I'm left in the lurch .