Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #7201
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
For zombie fans here, Amazon has the sequel "Peninsula" out on Nov 24 for BR/DVD. Don't see a Prime movie option yet. Mixed reviews from what I've read but I will definitely watch it.

You already reviewed it, you're locked in, don't think I don't remember!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:17 PM   #7202
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Tenet good enough to risk going to a theatre for? any word on when it will PPV?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #7203
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is Tenet good enough to risk going to a theatre for? any word on when it will PPV?

Use fandango to see how full your theater is for Tenet showings - you can go through the process to buy a ticket and see the map up to 10 or 15 minutes after the movie starts - and see how empty it is. With Wonder Woman and others now being pushed back, Tenet is getting a ton of show times and your local screenings are likely to be completely empty, if that helps.

As for the movie - I enjoyed it (I'd probably enjoy anything at the movies these days), but it's a bit frustrating, and I know this wasn't just me, because you can't hear the dialogue very well. Christopher Nolan makes the artistic choice to have other audio aspects of the film take precedent over dialogue. Though to be honest, I'm not sure I would have understood much more of the movie if I understood more dialogue.

I've been to the movies three times in the last month or so, no more than 5 people in any screening, felt safe, and it was just a great thing for my happiness and mental health, so I'd say give it a shot if your local screenings aren't crowded.

Last edited by molson : 09-18-2020 at 08:53 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #7204
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I may go during the next Steelers game.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #7205
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just saw The Hangover for the first time.

Isn't it basically just Dude Where's My Car but with a cooler Vegas backdrop, part of the Mike Tyson image rehab tour, and less dumb (still dumb, just less dumb) protagonists. But without the campy mindscrew ending and a bit more over the top sex jokes/situations?

Pretty decent number of funny jokes, situation that I just can't relate to but that's ok - fun to watch as a "tourist", actors who were well suited for who they played.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-20-2020 at 08:02 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:55 PM   #7206
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Just saw The Hangover for the first time.

Isn't it basically just Dude Where's My Car but with a cooler Vegas backdrop, part of the Mike Tyson image rehab tour, and less dumb (still dumb, just less dumb) protagonists. But without the campy mindscrew ending and a bit more over the top sex jokes/situations?

Pretty decent number of funny jokes, situation that I just can't relate to but that's ok - fun to watch as a "tourist", actors who were well suited for who they played.

SI

It was a movie for its time. Biggest box office R-rated comedy of all time or something? Massive hit. Though I think it probably doesn't play the same today, the perception of Vegas has changed. But I was exactly in the right wheelhouse at the time, and loved it
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #7207
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Comedy is so hard to make timeless as norms change and good usually has to live on that edge between funny and offensive. So I try to grade on a curve, especially since I'm the one who is 10 years late to the party. As comedies go, I thought it was reasonably well done. It's just that I felt like it was really close to a more extreme "Dude, Where's my Car" - like it followed that formula to the letter.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-20-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:33 PM   #7208
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Hangover got ripped off by a bunch of comedies and tv shows that followed.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #7209
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Just watched the movie Popeye. Such an odd duck of a movie. Robert Altman directed and I must say he was the WRONG choice of director. TUrning a children's book, comic or cartoon into a movie is a near impossible task. One that requires translating both moments and feelings into the movie where you can walk away feeling like a kid again. Most of the time it's a jumbled mess. Like Grinch and Cat in the Hat...that type of mess. Only ONCE has it been brilliant and that was Where the WIld Things Are. And that took a director with the ability to take both moments and feelings and go abstract yet solid. This movie....I could see every scene in this movie done as an actual Popeye cartoon. The constant chaos and slapstick mixed with the surreal is what Popeye was all about. Popeye always wandered around talking to himself and being putdown or having mishaps happen to him while Olive Oyl always whined and nagged openly about same. Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall totally deliver on those counts. Robin is always mumbling something under his breath and you can tell the points where Altman let him improvise. The scene where they meet and are tripping over each other epitomize both characters. And the townspeople all do similar farcical bits of slapstick and abstract scene work. Amonst the oddly shaped and sized people are veteran slapstick maestro Bill Irwin, Paul Dooley as Wimpy, Richard Libertini (the editor from Fletch), Ray Walston (Fast TImes Mr Hand), Donald Moffat (Garry from the Thing minus the f***ing couch), Linda Hunt, even Dennis Franz as a bully. And musicians like Klaus Voorman (who played on many of the beatles solo records) appear alongside Songwriter Harry Nillson. Yeah the Nillson songs don't work at all. It's a mystery why they are here. To fill time I guess. Also maybe because Popeye the cartoon always had music in it and sometimes a song. But their addition here is very unmemorable and often bad. Still this movie abstracts from scene to scene complete with silly cartoon sound effects. Perhaps a theatre director could have made this movie work if it was really tight and freeflowing. The special effects are just timed so poorly...these days they would all be CGI. I don't even know if that would help. Back in the day I'd say let Lucas direct this. Or maybe someone like Richard Donner (Goonies). Or even Sam Raimi or another horror director as this cartoon was often scary as crap! It just needed pep and flow and Altman was not known for that. Sure Altman's films flow soundwise and are cartoons of themselves...And soundwise he was an appropriate director . But otherwise a failure. Even as a kid when I first watched it, I didn't like it. I think perhaps the only way to REALLY do this as a modern film is just to do an Computer ANimated feature.

3/10

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 09-24-2020 at 03:07 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:58 PM   #7210
spleen1015
Coordinator

All of that is about the Popeye movie?
Old 09-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #7211
JediKooter
Coordinator

Tenet - 9/10 - Damn fine movie. I liked it much better than Inception, not that Inception was bad, I just enjoyed Tenet way better. Tenet has you thinking almost from the very beginning and the purposeful confusion until the reveal is fantastic. This movie is very easy to follow along with if you just pay attention. I loved how Tenet spins the time travel genre and was actually very impressed with Robert Pattinson's performance. This is a definitely 'watch it again...several times' movie for me.

Peninsula - 3/10 (because it's supposedly the Train to Busan sequel)
Peninsula - 6/10 (if it was a stand alone movie or just set in the Train to Busan universe)

Simply put, Peninsula is nothing more than a heist film with zombies. Other than it being set in South Korea and in Busan, there really is no relation to Train to Busan. I did enjoy the acting quite a bit and the two kids played their parts great and some of the action is actually pretty good. However, it claiming to be a sequel to Train to Busan is what really pulls this down in my opinion. I might watch this again some time in the future, but, I'll end up watching Train to Busan many more times before watching this one again.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #7212
RainMaker
General Manager

Is Tenet only in theaters? Really looking forward to seeing it but not sure I want to venture out to a theater these days.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #7213
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is Tenet only in theaters? Really looking forward to seeing it but not sure I want to venture out to a theater these days.

As far as I can tell, yes, only in theaters for now. To be honest, it's not the visual spectacle that Inception was, so it would be perfectly fine to completely enjoy it at home.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #7214
tarcone
Coordinator

I went to a theater. We went to a Saturday afternoon movie. There was my self and my wife and another couple.

They did not let you get your own soda. Or use the butter machine.

I would say it was safe a place as your home.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #7215
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Freaky Friday...reboot. It's very solid! Still works. ALl the way around. Not a weak link in the cast. Read some stuff about it. The original mom desired was Jodie Foster...since she played the daughter in the original but she rejected the idea because she didn't want that to be the focus...then....they cast Annette Bening. Annette...f***in Bening. I cannot see THAT at all. She wouldn't have been able to do the comedy. She dropped like right before shooting luckily and they got Curtis. OH SO PERFECT CASTING and perfect timing for her. Reviews said they were surprised how good she was but she's ALWAYS done comedy REALLY WELL. They must have missed the whole Fish Called Wanda thing. But I do agree that this was a new TYPE of film for her. The Family film. And she did it where she actually HAD a teenage daughter so it really was perfect for her. I really liked how elegant she was in the role. And then after the switch she let loose. Now the daughter...Lindsey Lohan...yes a name I've grown sick of hearing but I think her 10 minutes is up. But seriously she did a phenomenal job. Every step of the way after the switch I bought. And the emotional part at the end...she nailed it. So good. The supporting roles were good. Mark Harmon is without his usual charm as the stuffy boyfriend. Works for the scenes tho. The grandpa was playing by legendary actor Harold Gould....I guess that was who was supposed to be parodied in the That's Lobstertainment episode of Futurama "Harold Zoid". With Hank Azaria doing another accent. The kid is actually REALLY good too. Bratty but lovable. Also a nice cameo role by Rosalind Chao (who was on M*A*S*H and Deep Space 9 STTNG) with the fortunre cookie thing. It was nice to use mysticism and kind of explain it a little more. Whereas the original doesn't even explain anything. The guitar scene btw was actually really fun having real Curtis playing guitar offstage.. Lohan and Curtis both took extensive lessons how to play...then in the end they were dubbed over with session musicians. sad trombone. The update of a band from a field hockey team was better. But sadly no Alice Ghostley to taunt them.

9/10
Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #7216
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
All of that is about the Popeye movie?

yes it is
Old 09-30-2020, 06:32 PM   #7217
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Second Film....Zombieland Doubletap. Did I expect much from this film? no. Did I expect to laugh? No. Did I like it anyway? hell yeah. What was so great about Zombieland was that it was that it was sooo original...so surprising. So funny. So the surprises are done. Just have to live in the world now. And continuing to follow Tallahassee, Columbus, Witchita, and Little Rock is great...and their existing relationship role issues with each other. The new side encounters were okay....not great. And with the casting of Thomas Middleditch in the credits I kinda saw where that was going a mile away as the two look and act so much alike anyway. Was probably the origin of the idea since SIlicon Valley was still hot. Still enjoyable. They somehow managed to have a good buildup at the end too. And great credit sequence

7/10
Old 10-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #7218
Edward64
Head Coach

Figure I'll use this thread for upcoming movies also.

I'll watch any Gal Gadot movies (definitely easy on the eyes) but IMO they should try to find an Egyptian actress for this (yeah, there's claim she is really Greek but there was 300 or so years of Ptolemic dynasty in Egypt so let's call her Egyptian).

Cleopatra Gal Gadot Patty Jenkins Paramount Wonder Woman reteam Laeta Kalogridis – Deadline
Quote:
Paramount Pictures has won an auction for an epic that will have Gal Gadot wearing the crown of a real wonder woman of history. Wonder Woman helmer Patty Jenkins will direct Gadot in Cleopatra, a period biographical drama scripted by Laeta Kalogridis. This is the first major project package won by Paramount Motion Picture Group President Emma Watts in an auction that came down to Universal, Warner Bros, Netflix and Apple, I’ve heard.

https://deadline.com/wp-content/uplo...1&h=383&crop=1
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #7219
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll watch any Gal Gadot movies (definitely easy on the eyes) but IMO they should try to find an Egyptian actress for this (yeah, there's claim she is really Greek but there was 300 or so years of Ptolemic dynasty in Egypt so let's call her Egyptian).

It would be nice to have an Egyptian in the role I guess, but yeah, the Ptolemies were Macedonians originally but there is enough unknown mothers and Persian brides etc across the generations that it makes the whole discussion of race a bit dumb, especially when comparing it to modern races/nationalities. Its possible that a modern Egyptian would genetically not be any/much closer to Cleopatra than Gal Gadot, given what happened in Egypt/North Africa in the first millennia post-Cleopatra especially.

I hope the movie doesn't suck because she is an interesting character and it's a very interesting story, but my guess is that we get a bloated 2.5/3 hour love story.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #7220
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It would be nice to have an Egyptian in the role I guess, but yeah, the Ptolemies were Macedonians originally but there is enough unknown mothers and Persian brides etc across the generations that it makes the whole discussion of race a bit dumb, especially when comparing it to modern races/nationalities. Its possible that a modern Egyptian would genetically not be any/much closer to Cleopatra than Gal Gadot, given what happened in Egypt/North Africa in the first millennia post-Cleopatra especially.

I hope the movie doesn't suck because she is an interesting character and it's a very interesting story, but my guess is that we get a bloated 2.5/3 hour love story.

I know I don't have all the context, history etc. and this may be unfair ... but when I think of Cleopatra, I think of the last Pharaoh (loser) who prostituted herself. In the various movies/TV series, I never got the feeling it was to save the country but more to save herself.

Supposed beauty aside, I don't think she is worthy of all the acclaim. Nefertiti would be more interesting IMO.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #7221
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I know I don't have all the context, history etc. and this may be unfair ... but when I think of Cleopatra, I think of the last Pharaoh (loser) who prostituted herself. In the various movies/TV series, I never got the feeling it was to save the country but more to save herself.

Supposed beauty aside, I don't think she is worthy of all the acclaim. Nefertiti would be more interesting IMO.

Her story is so popular because, IMO at least, of a few reasons - powerful female ruler, attractive seductress trope - but she also ties dramatically into one of the top-5 most famous historical figures of all time. Her life is basically a Hollywood plot from beginning to end. If anything I'm surprised there haven't been more movies/TV dramas made.

Nefertiti on the other hand, so little is known that the movie would basically just be a script writer's invention. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for historical epics and would love a good ancient Egypt movie. Bring on Nefertiti the movie.

I think prostitute is overdoing it re: Cleopatra. She owed her position to Caesar, but how many times throughout history has a powerful nation put "their guy" in power in another country to exert influence? She did what she had to do to hold onto her throne once she had it, and although it was all for naught in the end, it's an interesting story. I'm just guessing the movie is heavy on the 'attractive seductress' part, and light on the history, which is the most interesting part of the whole topic (for me).
Old 10-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #7222
PilotMan
Head Coach

An Evening With Beverly Luff Lin (2018)

6.5/10

A solid, irreverent, good cast, very limited plot, and plenty of laughs. Basically, Flight of the Concords, April Ludgate and Craig Robinson being Craig Robinson. Throw in minor characters from Emile Hirsch and Matt Berry and it's gold. You can put it on, chill, and turn your brain off for a bit, and just enjoy the show.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #7223
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was mentioning in the streaming show thread that I run out of Disney+ in November and I have no intention of renewing it, so I figured I should watch the Marvel movies I stopped watching before Age of Ultron (from the period after Ultron, I only watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Black Panther). Anyways, I like that I can watch them in updone Dolby Vision and I can play with my phone or iPad while watching them (do they ALL have to be 2 hours+?).

It's hard to rate I think, but I'll try.

Avengers Age of Ultron: 4/10

Ant Man: 6/10

Captain America Civil War: 7/10

Doctor Strange: 5/10

Thor Ragnarok: 8/10

I find these movies mostly forgettable, which is why I guess I stopped watching right before Ultron. I like the more comedic ones (though at times Thor Ragnarok seemed to try too hard). So I have Avengers Infinity War (and yes, I know what happens in the end), Ant Man vs. The Wasp, Captain Marvel, and Avengers Endgame to go... and then I can cancel Disney+ in peace.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #7224
spleen1015
Coordinator

@ISiddiqui

Do you remember what you thought of Captain America: The Winter Soldier?
Old 10-19-2020, 11:38 AM   #7225
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoyed Winter Soldier. As stand alone Avengers movies, I liked the Captain America ones the best, because they really seemed to deal with institutional issues. So I liked the Sokovia Accords in Civil War, because it was an acknowledgement that... trusting superhero vigilantes without any accountability was going to be a very hard sell to... well, everyone.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #7226
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It felt like they decided to make the Captain America movies the Avengers 0.5 movies while they kept building everything else around it.

While they were huge money makers, I would argue that until Infinity War, the MCU was a bit of a letdown.

SI

Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #7227
spleen1015
Coordinator

The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame were directed by the Russo brothers. These are the stand outs of the MCU, along with Ragnarok.

I can't see Infinity War enough. Thor in that movie is one of my favorite characters of all time.

They all are just good super hero movies.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #7228
stevew
Hall Of Famer

After watching both Fantastic 4 movies on Disney+, I just can't see how Marvel would make either product much better. They are what they are. Unless you're going to completely change the entire premise.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #7229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame were directed by the Russo brothers. These are the stand outs of the MCU, along with Ragnarok.

I can't see Infinity War enough. Thor in that movie is one of my favorite characters of all time.

They all are just good super hero movies.

I was always under the assumption that they job they did in Winter Solider and Civil War was what got them Infinity War and Endgame.

Infinity War is the real standout movie of the MCU. I've never seen so much plot packed into a movie. There's no rising tension - you're just dropped straight in where Ragnarok left off and expected to have paid attention to the previous 20 movies where 5 and 10 minutes were stolen here and there. However, you are given characterization: Thanos is the star of the show and, to a lesser extent, Gamora. And it's all well done. There are only a couple of parts that kindof drag a little (Thor's axe plot comes to mind). Otherwise, it's just continuing plot after plot from the previous movies to the climax. It was the perfect capstone to the MCU.

And then Endgame was like a resolution and character movie to help you sort out the character arcs for everyone and start setting up what comes next.

SI

Old 10-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #7230
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
While they were huge money makers, I would argue that until Infinity War, the MCU was a bit of a letdown.

I did like the original Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, and Black Panther, which all came out before Infinity War.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #7231
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It felt like they decided to make the Captain America movies the Avengers 0.5 movies while they kept building everything else around it.

SI

Quote:
I was always under the assumption that they job they did in Winter Solider and Civil War was what got them Infinity War and Endgame.

Infinity War is the real standout movie of the MCU. I've never seen so much plot packed into a movie. There's no rising tension - you're just dropped straight in where Ragnarok left off and expected to have paid attention to the previous 20 movies where 5 and 10 minutes were stolen here and there. However, you are given characterization: Thanos is the star of the show and, to a lesser extent, Gamora. And it's all well done. There are only a couple of parts that kindof drag a little (Thor's axe plot comes to mind). Otherwise, it's just continuing plot after plot from the previous movies to the climax. It was the perfect capstone to the MCU.

And then Endgame was like a resolution and character movie to help you sort out the character arcs for everyone and start setting up what comes next.

SI

Infinity War is amazing. I love it.

That said, I don't think I could agree with the statement that before than "MCU was a bit of a let down." The vast majority of the MCU movies are far better than they have any right being. There are far more good-to-great films in the universe than there are mediocre-to-poor films. Given the overall quality of super heroes movies, especially outside of the MCU, that's really saying something.

I feel what Marvel was able to accomplish from Iron-Man through End Game is one of the most impressive feats in cinematic history.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #7232
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Infinity War is amazing. I love it.

That said, I don't think I could agree with the statement that before than "MCU was a bit of a let down." The vast majority of the MCU movies are far better than they have any right being. There are far more good-to-great films in the universe than there are mediocre-to-poor films. Given the overall quality of super heroes movies, especially outside of the MCU, that's really saying something.

I feel what Marvel was able to accomplish from Iron-Man through End Game is one of the most impressive feats in cinematic history.

That's totally fair: the undertaking of the MCU is amazing and they don't actually get enough critical acclaim for it (but they do get a ton of money for it). There are very few actual duds in the MCU (Thor 2, Hulk, if we're counting it as an MCU movie, and maybe Iron Man 2). You know you're getting a base level of quality when you go into an MCU movie, whether it's the third Captain America movie or some fairly unknown character like Dr. Strange. However, I felt like they had never cashed in on the whole promise of the MCU until Infinity War. Like all those 5 and 10 minute chunks that kept getting stolen away for future movies - those did hurt some of the individual movies they were in, leaving them with not enough time or too many subplots, as a slave to the whole.

Like prior to Infinity War, name the 3 best MCU movies? I'd throw out Iron Man (the first movie), Guardians of the Galaxy (the change of pace comedy), and, I dunno: Civil War? I think most people would have Avengers in there but it didn't grab me like a lot of people (re-using Loki as the villain made it feel a bit too much like Thor and I didn't feel the emotional impact of Coulson, even though I like Clark Gregg). The series felt like it had never grown much past those first few movies - more breadth but no more depth.

But Infinity War was a wonderful payoff. Also, it's more of a plot movie than a character movie and the plot was almost note perfect. Endgame is a bit more flawed, though for understandable reasons (just don't tell me it's the better movie).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-19-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #7233
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There are very few actual duds in the MCU (Thor 2, Hulk, if we're counting it as an MCU movie, and maybe Iron Man 2).

Well Iron Man 3 was terrible and Age of Ultron was super meh. At some level before Ultron there was a level of sustained mediocrity (the reason I tuned out) - that was when you had Iron Man 3, Thor Dark Work, Captain American Winter Soldier and only Winter Soldier was any good.

Though I'm now more interested in watching Infinity War now.

As for best MCU movies, prior to Infinity War (where I am right now): Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther. Maybe Winter Soldier right below?

I was also not a huge fan of Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron. Seemed like a whole lot of action sequences with not much good plot.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #7234
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Age of Ultron is decidely "meh". I thought it was mostly fine until the climax where Ultron goes from Brainiac-level danger to crappy robot but that's balanced by the good guys having to fight with one hand behind their back. Oh, and all the dumb infighting that mars pretty much every team-up movie in the MCU. It's more forgettable than offensive.

Iron Man 3 would be in the lower tiers of the MCU. But I'd still put it above Thor 2, Hulk, and Iron Man 2. Again, more forgettable than bad.

I also worry that I'm overselling Infinity War as you haven't seen it before. It was almost note perfect /for me/ as I'm a huge fan of grand plots. It's going to be bloated because they're balancing every character in the MCU across about 3 hours. But it felt like they did as good as they could have with those grand ambitions. However, it's almost all plot - the only characters who gets characterization are Thanos and Gamora (and a little Thor). So, if you want 3 hours of "Act 3" plot, that's Infinity War. There's no intro, no rising action - you're thrown into the end of Ragnarok and it's all downhill sledding from there.

I love the line from the Honest Trailer (warning: spoilers in that so don't watch it until after the movie): "It may be the best movie that Marvel's ever made. But, without a doubt, is the most /movie/ Marvel's ever made. Man, there is so much... /movie/ in this movie. Look at all that movie!"

Endgame is the more character-based movie, but the plot is a lot sloppier.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-19-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #7235
Groundhog
Coordinator

I burnt out on the MCU I think with Black Panther. Not sure I've seen any since then. Tried Captain Marvel and think we made it 20-30 mins in before losing interest.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:15 PM   #7236
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on the weekend. Guess I'd give it a solid 7.5ish because I just dig Tarantino's style and dialogue and there was some pretty great scenes, but this more than just about any Tarrantino movie (Kill Bill 1/2 possible exceptions) felt like genre fan fiction at times. Like, the whole DiCaprio/Olyphant on set stuff it felt like he'd watched Deadwood recently and just wanted to make a quick cowboy movie with the two of them. I enjoyed it a lot (that was one of the best scenes in the entire movie), but looking at it as an actual "film" it's probably lacking, and felt more like a series of scenes stuck together than it did a cohesive story, even for a Tarantino film.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #7237
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Two netflix releases...

Da 5 Bloods, 6/10: The new Spike Lee movie (and one of Chadwick Boseman's last roles) has some really fun moments and dialog and some other stuff that doesn't work as well. A little long, but worth your time if you're not expecting a best picture candidate.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things: 8/10: If you're a Charlie Kaufman fan, you'll love the first 80% or so, which is basically Kaufman meets David Lynch. Just so good. Then the whole thing falls apart at the ending, which is every bit as bad as you heard it was. If a bad ending ruins a movie for you, stay away, but if you know what you're getting then the rest of the movie is great.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #7238
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Avengers Infinity War: 8/10 It was really good.. for 2/3rd of the movie. The last 1/3 was a bit of a slog (I tend to be bored by overlong action battle scenes). Wakanda just took forever. And Titan wasn't that much shorter. The first 2/3 was fantastic in terms of efficient plotting. It was great. Relying on dialog and just enough action to keep things moving. It fell apart at that tend. Onward. I think Ant-Man and the Wasp is next.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-19-2020 at 11:19 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #7239
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The stuff with Thor got overlong. I think they got caught with Black Panther being bigger than they thought it would be (it was released in Feb and Infinity War was released in May) so the Wakanda stuff got a bump but I could be totally wrong on that - since I doubt they would have had time to change that up. I think something similar happens in Endgame with Captain Marvel where it feels like they just didn't know how to integrate the most recent movie.

Yes, I suppose the last 45 minutes (ok, more like 1:00-0:15 since the denouement is pretty long and effective) are just the giant set piece on earth with everyone in the cast given something to do to remind you that they're still there balanced against the boring Thor story (his arc is interesting but he's given really boring stuff to do).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-20-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #7240
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I actually liked the Thor stuff, tbh. The stuff with the Forge was fascinating to me. It helps that Rocket Raccoon is one of my favorite MCU characters. It was the Wakanda stuff that bored me.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #7241
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
but looking at it as an actual "film" it's probably lacking, and felt more like a series of scenes stuck together than it did a cohesive story, even for a Tarantino film.

I have felt this way about Tarantino's films recently. I still enjoy them a lot, but his movies seem to be missing something for me. I haven't watched his latest yet, but I assumed maybe I just didn't think that highly of his westerns (even though I still liked them).

Then I watched this video on YouTube about film editing, specifically about Dede Allen, the film editor for movies like Bonnie and Clyde, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon and The Breakfast Club. It really highlighted just how much influence the editor has over the movie. A lot of directors take a hands on approach to editing, but it's in the edit where a lot of how a movie is experienced is created.

Turns out, Tarantino used the same editor, Sally Menke, for all of his movies up to Inglourious Basterds. Fred Raskins (with who knows how much direct influence from Tarantino himself) has been the editor of his last three movies.

Editors really don't get nearly enough credit or recognition for their work. Tarantino wrote and shot his movies, but it was Sally Menke who stitched together the specific shots that created the scenes, like the beginning to Inglourious Basterds, that everyone drools over. I think a lot of people would be surprised just how different a scene feels if you used different shots and held shots different lengths of time.

Here's the video about Dede Allen

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #7242
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ant-Man and the Wasp - 7/10: This was really fun. I enjoyed the humor of the Ant-Man movies. It's a good counter to all the THIS IS REALLY SERIOUS stuff of the rest of The Avengers movies.

Captain Marvel - 6/10: A beautiful film with some really interesting plot lines which kind of ended up being... ok. Obviously they had to make the film to use her powers for Endgame.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #7243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Flipping around while waiting to make dinner and I caught the last 15 minutes of Rounders just a Mike is about to go heads up with KGB. so awesome.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #7244
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Flipping around while waiting to make dinner and I caught the last 15 minutes of Rounders just a Mike is about to go heads up with KGB. so awesome.

I will splash the focking pot if I focking want to.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #7245
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Avengers: Endgame - 5.5/10: Well, that was an ending. The first hour was Leftovers meets Marvel and then let's get the band back together. And then the second hour was timetravel fan service. And then the big battle where everyone gets a few minutes just for fun - with some Portal fanservice. And then some Girl Power. And a few other things here and there. I rolled my eyes a lot. It was also way too long. It was really pretty though.

Frankly... with going through all these MCU movies in the last month... I was disappointed. Infinity Wars was a FAR better Avengers movie. Oh well.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-29-2020 at 11:23 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #7246
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Infinity War was easily the best movie of the MCU and it's not even close.

SI

Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #7247
korme
Go Reds

The last 8 movies I've watched...
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #7248
Edward64
Head Coach

Peninsula - 7/10

Got the BR today and watched it tonight. I'll leave out the spoilers but overall it is not as good as Train to Busan.

Zombies notwithstanding, the actions and storyline in Busan was "believable". Peninsula has great special effects, okay action but added 2 components that broke the "realism".

So okay as a stand alone zombie movie, not that great when I was expecting a great sequel.

BTW, the BR specials were disappointing.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:38 AM   #7249
AlexB
Pro Starter

I tried to watch This Sporting Life recently, commonly voted the best sports film of all time here in the UK.

It’s a 1960s film starring Richard Harris, about a rugby league player in a northern industrial town, and... it’s bleak. Just bleak. It was well shot and well acted, but all of the characters, literally all of them, are completely unlikeable, and with the backdrop being one of deprivation and hardship, it was just too down for me.

Gave up up halfway through and watched a documentary based on diaries of those in and around Berlin in 1945, which was genuinely less depressing.

4/10 (for the film)
9/10 for ‘Berlin 1945’ documentary (BBC iPlayer)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:45 AM   #7250
AlexB
Pro Starter

We had a raft of war documentaries around Remembrance Day last month, so finally saw They Shall Not Grow Old, the Peter Jackson film where he colourised and voiced WW1 film

It wasn’t quite as revolutionary as I had expected, but was sobering and moving nonetheless. Another example of how lucky we are to live now, and how inconsequential any problems I have in comparison

8.5/10
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote