Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Smart Phones - 2023 edition

I still have my iPhone 6S and was going to jump to the iPhone 8 later this year.

But I bought a cheap android Redmi Note 4 on my international travel earlier this year so I could put in a local SIM and thought it wasn't half bad. That got me thinking about maybe jumping onto the Android bandwagon and picking up a Samsung S8 when it comes out in a couple days.

The key con that I see with using a Samsung is that the Android version prob won't be updated as quickly as a Google Pixel (which won't come out until 2H of this year).

Thoughts on iPhone 8 vs S8 vs Pixel 2 vs etc.?

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-07-2023 at 11:18 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Big thing about moving from Apple to Android is how heavily invested you are in apps you've bought from the App Store. There is a lot more known about the Pixel 2 vs. the iPhone 8. There are still all kinds of rumors out there that the next iPhone will have the curved screen, taptic all over, etc. One of my co-workers has the current Pixel, and he uses Project Fi with it and loves it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I'm also using Project Fi ($27.50 bill last month, $26.10 this month) and upgrading to the Pixel 2 when it comes out. I like Android much more than iOS, but cartman is right about apps. Make sure that the apps you use are available, or that something similar exists before making the move.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't know about Project Fi, thanks.

Any thoughts on how good quality/security of Android vs Apple apps?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There is no comparison on the app stores. Apple is a lot stricter with what they allow in. With Android, it is the wild west. But as long as you stick to known apps from reputable repos, you'll be safe. Just have to be aware of crap like seeing a name that "looks" like the right app, but not actually being the app you were looking for.

Most of the apps that are in both the Apple App Store and an Android store use a cross platform technology (ie. Ionic, Unity, Appzillion, etc.) so that the look and feel of the app is the same on both platforms.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
HerRealName
College Prospect

My old phone died recently and I ended up buying a OnePlus 3T. It's a good phone at a better price point than the Iphone/Samsung. I'm not a power user but the phone has been great so far. Might be worth looking into.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The OnePlus 3T Midnight Black was released last night and it looks absolutely beautiful. My OnePlus One, which I purchased shortly after release, is still holding strong, which speaks great for the company.

I haven't used ios in years but I've become interested in the iPhone SE. I've really been seeking a smaller phone that is fast and has a great battery.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks for the input.

I've been reading the S8 and iPhone 8 may be priced around $1K. I guess they can command a premium but good to see there are other good ones reasonably priced.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Not quite on topic, but I was a big iPad user for a while. I've since moved on to a Kindle Fire because most of my interaction is watching video and using it as a TV while I'm on the PC. The ability to use off-the-shelf SD cards for storage is the killer app. I saved at least $400 and the Fire does everything I need (and the Fire itself has come a long way since a few years ago).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

S8 is pretty impressive. $ isn't as bad as some had said.

Samsung Galaxy S8 announced: Release date, specs, features - Business Insider
Old 03-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I was very impressed by the S8. I still want to hold out for the Pixel 2 (after getting Google's universe, I don't want to leave), but a great phone Samsung revealed today.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Amazon.com: LeEco - Le S3 unlocked smartphone 32GB, Gold (U.S. Warranty): Cell Phones & Accessories

If you need a bridge phone for either Tmo or Att you could do a lot worse than that. WiFi calling works on Tmo. Just need to install Google Now launcher on it. But for 200$ it feels really nice in your hand.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
The OnePlus 3T Midnight Black was released last night and it looks absolutely beautiful.

I might have just pulled the trigger on one of these...

ps - yes, yes i did.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-29-2017 at 09:06 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #14
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'm actually quite surprised at the longevity of my Samsung Galaxy S6. Usually at the 1 to 1 1/2 year mark, I start to notice the phone getting laggy or the battery life really suffer, and I'm ready to pounce on the "Next Big Thing".

Not this time. I'm really happy with my current phone. It still feels zippy. And there's no horrible battery drain like in previous phones I've had.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #15
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I'm actually quite surprised at the longevity of my Samsung Galaxy S6. Usually at the 1 to 1 1/2 year mark, I start to notice the phone getting laggy or the battery life really suffer, and I'm ready to pounce on the "Next Big Thing".

Not this time. I'm really happy with my current phone. It still feels zippy. And there's no horrible battery drain like in previous phones I've had.

My Nexus 6 is the same way. I'm at 26 months with it and I feel like it's actually performing better with the last few Android updates than when I first got it.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #16
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, I was very impressed by the S8. I still want to hold out for the Pixel 2 (after getting Google's universe, I don't want to leave), but a great phone Samsung revealed today.

I agree about google's universe and don't want to leave myself, however I feel like the industry is just moving away from me. The phones keep getting bigger and bigger and I wanted something that can be more easily handled.

My brother and wife purchased iPhone 7s yesterday and I do think that 4.7" screen is almost perfect. I just wish there was an Android alternative that I could be as confident about.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #17
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I've used a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 for awhile & think it's great. Huge screen, allegedly unbreakable glass (certainly hasn't scratched for me, and I've got a very checkered history with phone screens!), very fast charging & long battery life. Pretty decent camera too, though I don't have much of a baseline for that.

Complaints I've seen about it are doesn't have a fingerprint scanner (I've never used one), and it might still be a Verizon exclusive, but I've always been Verizon.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I've had several Android phones, until my last one broke and I ended up with my wife's iPhone 6 as a hand-me down last summer. There are parts of it that are ok, but on the whole I really really miss Android. I'll be ready for a new phone in June and I really wish there was something like the iPhone SE but with Android on it, I think that would be perfect for me. Small, fast, good camera, good battery, reasonable price. That's what I want. Most of the Android phones seem to only check 3 or so of those boxes at a time.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Sony makes a smaller Android for power users. Xperia X compact is the model I think.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #20
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think Sony makes a smaller Android for power users. Xperia X compact is the model I think.

Yeah, I had the Z3 Compact and loved it. Unfortunately that's the one that broke and led to me having my wife's old iPhone. It (the Z3) broke 3 times in the span of a year. After 2 repairs I couldn't bring myself to do a third. I've never broken a single other phone before even once. But aside from the constant breaking it was certainly an awesome phone. The battery was phenomenal.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I agree about google's universe and don't want to leave myself, however I feel like the industry is just moving away from me. The phones keep getting bigger and bigger and I wanted something that can be more easily handled.

My brother and wife purchased iPhone 7s yesterday and I do think that 4.7" screen is almost perfect. I just wish there was an Android alternative that I could be as confident about.

There is the 5inch Pixel. I assume the Pixel2 will also come in 5 and 6 in varieties as well.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

My eyesight is going so I prefer larger screens.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Unlocked phone ideas?

Anyone else have a Sony Phone? Looking at an Xperia XA1 Ultra which is about $400 unlocked. Don't think I can really justify stepping up to the XZ Premium for $700 or to the one of the other models.

I know the OnePlus 5 is supposed to be pretty great as well.

Basically I just want something in the 4-500 range unlocked that has enough ram to be usable and at least a 1080p screen. Prefer 5.5 and larger screens.

Also Cricket at 5 lines for $100 each at 4GB(or add $15 to each line for 22GB semi throttled speed wise) is a pretty smoking deal if you have good ATT service in your area.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #24
Easy Mac

Thinking about getting a Moto Z play, 2nd gen. I have old verizon unlimited and right now the phone is $10/month. Not switching plans as we pay $120 for 2 lines of unlimited, unthrottled (for now) anything and I can tether for free.

My S5 is getting a little long in the tooth, and even with a new battery its not a lot better, but at least stays charged most of the day. I don't need a phone with the latest and greatest, which is why I'm looking at "midrange" phones.

All I do is internet, twitter, spotify, maps, fitness apps. Occasional ESPN/vids, but no games. My question, is it enough of an upgrade over my Galaxy S5 for $240? I don't really want to pay $800 for a new phone when I have no use for 75% of the features.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #25
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Moto play 2 will have a faster processor and better screen quality. Asus ZenFone AR is a highly underrated phone if you can find a deal on that. It will give you the 6gb RAM processor with excellent camera at a mid range phone price.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #26
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Go the Project Fi route with Google and get the Moto X4.

Motorola’s Moto X4 is Project Fi’s first Android One smartphone - The Verge
Old 09-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #27
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

Might as well keep the same phone if your top speeds are 3g in most areas. If you only want to use your phone for calls and texting project fi is fine but for any streaming or apps its pretty awful. Verizon and AT&T renting out their older towers no longer being maintained while preparing for 5g just kind of leaves project fi customers in the dark ages. Sure it is cheap but so is straight talk and other similar type plans that people seem to run away from after short periods.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #28
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Might as well keep the same phone if your top speeds are 3g in most areas. If you only want to use your phone for calls and texting project fi is fine but for any streaming or apps its pretty awful. Verizon and AT&T renting out their older towers no longer being maintained while preparing for 5g just kind of leaves project fi customers in the dark ages. Sure it is cheap but so is straight talk and other similar type plans that people seem to run away from after short periods.

I use my phone for streaming and apps on Project Fi with no problems at any times. I live 20 miles from BFE and get reception with great speed at all times. There's also the ease of jumping on WiFi if I want to and having it not count against my data. I've made zero changes to my usage habits and haven't paid more than $32 in any single month after the opening month's signup fees pushed it to $43. Most months are under $30 easily.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I grabbed a Nextbit Robin for $130. It still upgrades to 7.1. It's not a perfect phone but with 55$ a month "unlimited" Cricket I'm more than satisfied.
https://www.amazon.com/Nextbit-Robin.../dp/B01D9LVCAI

Seriously cricket has 5 4GB lines for $100(Total) You can't beat that. AT&T.

Last edited by stevew : 09-21-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:43 PM   #30
Edward64
Head Coach

I have an iPhone 6S and have been using it for work. With the new iPhone 8 out, I just ordered a 8 Plus subsidized by the company. I plan to get a new # so I can keep it separate from my personal.

I'm not bought into the face recognition for the X, I wished Apple had put a fingerprint sensor in the back as a just-in-case.

I'm seriously thinking about waiting till next year/iteration so I can get on the same 2 year cycle as the rest of the family and by then face recognition will have been proven (or not).

I am also waiting for Google Pixel 2 XL, I may decide to go Android for my personal phone. Waiting for early October for it to come out and check out the specs & reviews.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #31
AlexB
Pro Starter

My GS5 has finally become unusable, so need an upgrade.

Very tempted by the Pixel 2 or 2 XL, with Samsung S8 as alternative.

Main considerations are camera and battery life, and prefer a slightly smaller phone than larger.

The better battery life on the Pixel 2s seems to be on the XL unfortunately for me, but the XL has had a number of reported issues that is putting me off a little along with the size.

Anybody have any experience/opinions on these models?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

Ha I'm in the same boat with an S5. I just reset to factory settings and it's actually fast again but I'm also looking.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #33
Edward64
Head Coach

Ended up with an iPhone 8 plus.

Loving the bigger and crisper screen, and more memory but having a little buyers regret for not getting the iPhone X.

I guess Apple has me well trained.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #34
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Count me as another Google Fi user who hasn't seen any performance issues whatsoever unless I'm literally out in the mountains somewhere. The cheaper bills (~$50 per month for my 3-4 gig usage) have been incredible.

Edit: though I am a bit miffed that my Nexus 6p is starting to curve; it's not bad, but it's just enough to be noticeable.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-05-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #35
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Got a Pixel 2 just after Christmas. Consistently getting 30-40 hrs on a charge so far.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #36
QuikSand
lolzcat

Considering defecting from iPhone. Not enough to have a clear idea, but Pixel 2 the most likely destination, I think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #37
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm going on 2 years with my S7 Edge. I hope it stays alive. Best phone I've ever owned. From now on, I refuse to get a phone that doesn't have a micro SD slot. I carry around 17,000 songs which is still important to me since I like to own my music, not stream someone's else's content.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-06-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #38
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Considering jumping to android - have been debugging a lot on an S8 recently and am gobsmacked at its reluctance to lose charge in comparison to my ye-olde iPhone7 which tends to struggle if I go for an hour long run with Strava enabled .
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #39
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm going on 2 years with my S7 Edge. I hope it stays alive. Best phone I've ever owned. From now on, I refuse to get a phone that doesn't have a micro SD slot. I carry around 17,000 songs which is still important to me since I like to own my music, not stream someone's else's content.

Have also managed to lose my iPod at the same time, so the answer my well be Pixel 2 with micro SD card for my music which I’d still run from PC/iTunes.

Phone is free to me through work, I’d have to pay for replacement iPod myself...

As long as my Audi will read the songs off the SD card that is the mix I need - thank you sir!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #40
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Have also managed to lose my iPod at the same time, so the answer my well be Pixel 2 with micro SD card for my music which I’d still run from PC/iTunes.

Phone is free to me through work, I’d have to pay for replacement iPod myself...

As long as my Audi will read the songs off the SD card that is the mix I need - thank you sir!

The pixel 2s don't have SD card slots.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 02-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #41
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Galaxy S8/8+/Note 8 may be the only big flagship that still has an SD card slot and a headphone jack.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #42
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
The pixel 2s don't have SD card slots.

That would be a problem then... !
Old 02-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #43
Ksyrup

I assume Galaxy S9 will still have the microSD as well. I've considered upgrading in a few months, but my S7 edge is still going strong so no reason to take on another $30/month payment. Phone bill with 4 phones is high enough as it is...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #44
RainMaker
General Manager

Is the SD card slot still important? I believe most apps won't work off them and most of the new phones seem to have a ton of space.

The headphone jack is a bigger deal to me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #45
Ksyrup

I use it for music storage. I've got about 125 GB filled so far.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't really need the newest and brightest device, but the Galaxy Note 7 exploding debacle really sucks. If you want a note, your options are either the 999$ note 8 or the 2 year old Note 5. No option in the 4-500$ range.

Last edited by stevew : 02-07-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #47
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Any current thoughts on phones? I have an iphone6 plus that is starting to have touch screen issues (apparently not uncommon). Until then, it held up pretty well over the years without much in the way of problems. I've looked around at options but nothing really seems that appealing at the available price points. For myself, I'm mostly looking for phones with a lot of space (256GB), like Ksyrup I tend to store a decent bit of music on it, as well as pics / videos, but I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with phones that don't fit that spec too.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #48
QuikSand
lolzcat

..also listening...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #49
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not that it's phone model specific but Google Play music for 9.99 with YouTube Red(no ads, ability to play vid in the background, like for audio stuff) included is a pretty good deal. Google music manager is great for syncing your catalog to the cloud in case certain albums are unavailable to stream.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-def get something that supports turbo charging (most Android's, iPhone 8+), nice to be able to go from 0% to nearly full in about 45mins or so.