You knew this was coming.

LeBron James vs. Michael Jordan - Why the GOAT debate is different now

Previous threads:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=90628

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=93068

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=93854

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-12-2020 at 07:53 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I go back and forth on this.

I was team Jordan.
Then I finally flipped to LeBron.
Then I was Jordan again.
Now I'm not sure.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think LeBron is probably the better player, but the combination of Jordan having to deal with way more physical defense being allowed and LeBron's attitude still have me on team Jordan.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

The longer it goes the harder it will be to discount Lebron. I went on team Lebron a couple years ago. The legend of Jordan only grows the longer he is away from the game, nobody remembers those years on the Wizards. Not that it matters here at all, but Lebron will never be remembered the way Jordan is for his outspoken stance on civil rights issues, his playing for 3 different teams, and so on. Those things he can't fight, but in the end, I still think I'd take him to start and build a team around than Michael, knowing the career arc they both take.

Like Steam?

Old 10-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Jordan was amazing, and he's from "my" era, but if we're drafting a team, and the player pool consists of every player in NBA history at age 22, and I have the 1(1) pick, I'm picking LeBron with no hesitation whatsoever, If I have the 1(2) after LeBron is off the board, I'm gonna have to think about Jordan, Hakeem, or Wilt.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I take LeBron due to longevity, I think it's really close. I don't have any personal ill will towards Jordan retiring and coming back or anything like that, but I think volume matters. Just like an MVP candidate who plays 60 games against one who plays 75.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Right now I am leaning towards Lebron. Never seen any basketball player be this good for this long. I mean you couldn't even argue he wasn't the MVP of the series because he is that damn good and doing so at the age of freaking 35. He also have a number of skills I am not used to seeing from someone at that size and usually the skills decline much faster for people of his height.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

Most people who still say Jordan, just don't like Lebron. On the basketball court, he is better.

Yeah, Miami happened. Yeah, he had to get AD to make the Lakers good. It drives me nuts that he has to be so public about how good he is. If you think coming back from 3-0 with Cleveland makes you the GOAT, that's fine. Don't say that on your tv show though. You don't need to. Last night, after the game, don't mention you want respect. People are just going to hate on you more.

This conversation is mostly a waste though. NBA basketball has evolved quite a bit over the years. MJ could very well be the GOAT if he played today.

What makes you the best anyway? So many great players over the years.

Has Lebron revolutionized the game like Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Jordan and Steph have?
Old 10-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The thing about LeBron is he seems to get criticized for losing in the finals, the Mavs one most notably, while getting no credit for actually getting there.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #10
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's a common wrongheaded line of thought across sports IMO, just like how quarterbacks are judged by how many Superbowls they won.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

Jordan made the NBA a truly global phenomenon IMO. That has to be factored into the conversation I think.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

LeBron actually took it in 2018, with Jordan carrying the favs for 2017 and 2015. This, so far, looks to be the return of Jordan to the top of the FOFC pref chart.

Like Steam?

Old 10-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #13
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

At this point, it is definitely Lebron.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
JPhillips
General Manager

I saw this earlier.

Only 3 players from the 2003 draft class are still in the NBA.

Kyle Korver, Carmelo Anthony, and the best player in the NBA, LeBron.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #15
tarcone
Coordinator

I wish this was a poll about who you are voting for President.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Oh, man! I didn't even think about Kyle Korver. Can I change my vote?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #17
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I wish this was a poll about who you are voting for President.

Not sure LeBron could pull the rural white guy vote like Jordan.

Like Steam?

Old 10-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's impossible to compare players between eras really - Jordan's NBA is as different to the current era as the 'Old Timey' grainy black and white era was to Jordan's. Compared to their peers, LeBron has been orders of magnitude better for a long time, MVP trophies be damned. Jordan was also, for a shorter period of time it has to be said, starting later, leaving earlier (multiple times).

With that disclaimer in place..... I still feel right now that LeBron is the GOAT if we take into consideration everything he can and could do on the court in his prime. Jordan was better than LeBron in a number of categories, but if you average it all out I think LeBron is ahead.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #19
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

If we were to swap them (and account for changes in the game, training, etc.), I think Jordan goes much better than 4-6 and I'm not convinced LeBron goes 6-0. Let's say Jordan goes 6-4 (or maybe 7-3) and LeBron goes 4-2. Thus, Jordan gets my vote.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #20
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I saw Jordan play growing up and he was a phenomenon, no one had ever seen anything like it. The teams he played on were iconic and the last true NBA dynasty. And since his retirement his legend has only grown as our appreciation of his extraordinary talent has as well.

But LeBron is the GOAT and it shouldn't even be close.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:12 PM   #21
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I saw Jordan play growing up and he was a phenomenon, no one had ever seen anything like it. The teams he played on were iconic and the last true NBA dynasty. And since his retirement his legend has only grown as our appreciation of his extraordinary talent has as well.

But LeBron is the GOAT and it shouldn't even be close.

I'm not sure how you can say it's not close.

Advanced stats seem to be in favour of Jordan, where he generally comes out ahead or well ahead of LeBron. The only times were LeBron is ahead of Jordan are the cumulative totals (as impressive as LeBron's longevity is, I'll take the best player at his prime above the compiler).

Just compare their age 23-29 year old seasons, when both were arguably at their very peak...

Player Efficiency Rating - Jordan 30.4 Lebron 30.1
Usage % Jordan 33.93% Lebron 32.31%
Win Shares - Jordan 18.9 Lebron 17
Box Plus/Minus - Jordan 8.5 Lebron 8.34
Value Over Replacement - Jordan 10.8 Lebron 9.3

Even if we go beyond those seven seasons, Jordan still comes out ahead on average. It's the totals, such as total win shares and total VORP where LeBron's longevity has helped him pass Jordan.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not expert on advanced stats, but if someone wants to explain to me how these stats show LeBron is the GOAT, let alone the fact that it's not even close, I would appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #22
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Found this elsewhere on the interwebs...

Quote:
Michael Jordan Advanced Statistics LeBron James
27.9* PER (Reg. Sea.) 27.5
28.6* PER (Playoffs) 28.3
.2505* Win Shares (Reg. Sea.) .2345
.2553* Win Shares (Playoffs) .2436
9.22* Box Score +/- (Reg. Sea.) 8.94
11.14* Box Score +/- (Playoffs) 10.16
.1083* VORP Per-Game (Reg. Sea.) .1059
.1382* VORP Per-Game (Playoffs) .1289
19* Top-100 Game Scores 3
*=highest all time

Statistics were compiled prior to the 2020 NBA Bubble*

Not only does Jordan beat out LeBron in all nine of the advanced statistics I could find, but he ranks first among all players in NBA history in every single one of them. Advanced statistics do not care about position or time played. All they care about is telling you who is objectively better at doing x, y, and z!

In addition, when you look at a statistic like PER where the gap between the two seems to be small, it is worth noting that LeBron’s play has not begun to decline yet. Jordan had two seasons of his career where he was fresh off retirement, and one of them was at age 40. All things considered, it is a miracle Jordan still leads in that category. The margin will no doubt widen when LeBron exits his prime.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 PM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Because longevity matters. When peak value is close, the player who has more games at high level is the more valuable (this analysis, btw is common in baseball advanced statistics - for example in the 1990s + 2000s no one had close to as good a peak at a pitcher at Pedro Martinez - arguably the greatest 7 year peak of any pitcher in MLB history - , but most would pick Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson due to far more games played)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-16-2020 at 08:26 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #24
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanBulldog
If we were to swap them (and account for changes in the game, training, etc.), I think Jordan goes much better than 4-6 and I'm not convinced LeBron goes 6-0. Let's say Jordan goes 6-4 (or maybe 7-3) and LeBron goes 4-2. Thus, Jordan gets my vote.

I think this is unknowable, but even if it isn't my primary issue here is it gives LeBron zero credit for getting to 10 (and 8 in a row I think), almost twice as many as Jordan reached. That has to count for something if you're using championships as your metric (a dubious idea when assigning individual value in a team sport).

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-16-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #25
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jordan never had his high school games broadcast on ESPN.

Like Steam?

Old 10-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #26
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Because longevity matters. When peak value is close, the player who has more games at high level is the more valuable (this analysis, btw is common in baseball advanced statistics)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Is peak value that close though? There's a clear number one here and he's ahead in every category.

Jordan has five of the top seven seasons ever when it comes to Value Over Replacement, with David Robinson and LeBron each having one.

LeBron even falls short even in stats like usage percentage, where changes in the way the game is played suggest that LeBron should be ahead. Jordan appears far ahead of anyone in his era while guys like Westbrook, Kobe and even DeMarcus Cousins are ahead of LeBron in the modern game.

Also, I'll take Barry Sanders before Emmitt Smith any day.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 10-16-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:33 AM   #27
Danny
Head Coach

Lebron won a title with Kyrie, that should count for two at least.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote