Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #1201
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ya know what would be better than a one-game Rams losing streak? A two game Rams losing streak. Can you take care of that for us tonight Seattle? Thanks
Old 10-07-2021, 04:48 PM   #1202
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Doesn't it have to be at least two games to count as a streak? /pedantic
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #1203
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Doesn't it have to be at least two games to count as a streak? /pedantic

/waytoruinmypost Brian
Old 10-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #1204
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is there a sport that is not dealing with controversy?

Source -- DEA investigation of WFT trainer Ryan Vermillion tied to alleged prescription-drug offenses
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #1205
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why do good men die while Joe Buck thrives?
Old 10-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #1206
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That was as close to a soccer flop as I've ever seen in an NFL game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #1207
Thomkal
Head Coach

I ask you to do one thing Seattle....to be fair Russell Wilson was hurt for most of the second half
Old 10-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #1208
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That double-punt was perhaps the best special teams play I've ever seen out of a punter.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #1209
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources -- Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson could miss four to eight weeks finger injury
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #1210
Atocep
Coordinator

I draft Russell Wilson, the most reliably healthy starter in the NFL over the past decade, and this happens.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #1211
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
That double-punt was perhaps the best special teams play I've ever seen out of a punter.

It's crazy that double punting is legal.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #1212
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I draft Russell Wilson, the most reliably healthy starter in the NFL over the past decade, and this happens.

That is the second pro bowl QB hand wrecked by Aaron Donald (both times were complete accidents).
Old 10-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #1213
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looks like Jimmy G won't start against the Cards Sunday either. Along with maybe half of the Cards secondary it looks like right now.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #1214
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So is Jon Gruden going to get Papa John'd, or is he too big a name for that (or is the fact he didn't actually use the N word going to save him)?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:02 PM   #1215
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So is Jon Gruden going to get Papa John'd, or is he too big a name for that (or is the fact he didn't actually use the N word going to save him)?

I am sure he was just uneducated, he was unaware that what he said was offensive and/or it is not representative of who he was then or now.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #1216
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's it just me, or did the explanation / justification make it worse?
Old 10-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #1217
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It's crazy that double punting is legal.

Totally agree. I love it, but as I was watching I said to myself "that had to be a penalty."
Old 10-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #1218
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's it just me, or did the explanation / justification make it worse?

Yeah. The excuse that "I like to refer to liars as rubber lips!!" relies on ignoring that he explicitly called out the size of Smith's lips, while also pretending that is a hundreds-of-year-old racist stereotype that is somehow news to Jon Fucking Gruden, in his naive innocence.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-08-2021 at 10:45 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:51 AM   #1219
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched the game primarily because of Alex Collins, rooting for his resurgence. He is a solid performer but just doesn't seem to have that X factor to be the primary back with 100 yard games. Rooting for him to get better and faster.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #1220
Edward64
Head Coach

And the Falcons win!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:50 PM   #1221
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Somehow the Lions are still in this game.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #1222
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Forget I said anything
Old 10-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #1223
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Oh man
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #1224
JPhillips
General Manager

I've never seen anything like this Bengals/Packers game. Four consecutive game-winning field goals missed.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:12 PM   #1225
JPhillips
General Manager

Make that 5 consecutive misses.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #1226
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I know we have a couple of Dolphins fans here. I don’t know how closely yall have been watching the season. What’s the outlook? Before the season, I would’ve held them up as the example of how to build a team. Collect assets, get a good coach, grab the QB when he’s available.

But based on the record, things seem to really be off the rails. What is your take on it?
Old 10-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #1227
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
I know we have a couple of Dolphins fans here. I don’t know how closely yall have been watching the season. What’s the outlook? Before the season, I would’ve held them up as the example of how to build a team. Collect assets, get a good coach, grab the QB when he’s available.

But based on the record, things seem to really be off the rails. What is your take on it?

Injuries, lack of real star talent around the qb, and general youth of the franchise, give them another year.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #1228
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Make that 5 consecutive misses.

Cincy should have lost this game half a dozen times and last year they would have folded in the 3rd quarter.

I love the fight, the drive in this team right now. They are never out of a game.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #1229
Thomkal
Head Coach

Joe Burrow taken to hospital for a throat contusion

Barkley gets his ankle twisted and out for game against Dallas
Old 10-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #1230
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Cincy should have lost this game half a dozen times and last year they would have folded in the 3rd quarter.

I love the fight, the drive in this team right now. They are never out of a game.

I just wish Taylor would be as aggressive as he says he wants to be. The playcalling before both of the missed kicks was way too conservative. Running on 3rd and 5 to set up a 58 yd FG just isn't going to cut it.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #1231
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

sigh

Well, playing without the might-be-the-long-term-QB isn't helping...

But even so, there are just too many missteps in the last couple of years to really inspire a lot of confidence, and I am trying to stay hopeful. They underwent a major rebuild, okay fine... and they seemed to get the good end of player-for-pick trades, getting huge value for Tunsil et al. So, there seemed to be some real optimism, right? The end of the "tank for Tua" season seemed way more frisky than expected, and things seemed to be looking up. They end up getting Tua anyway, and get to surround him with young players - where they focus on critical positions (LT, CB, RT for a left QB) and then being pretty aggressive in free agency in getting "their players"... it really was feeling good coming into the 2020 season. Then the team clearly was a click better off, and went from basket case to bubble victim in one year. There's your setup script for the franchise optimism.

Now, the flip side is creeping up. Look at the big free agent moves from the 2020 offseason... clearly overpaid Byron Jones to be a solid CB2, they paid Kyle Van Noy a strong 3yr deal to get what they expected and then released him after one solid but not great season, they pay medium money for DL Shaq Lawson only to trade him for LB Benardrick McKinney after one decent season, and then they release McKinney before he ever plays a down for them. That does not really flatter the front office.

Now let's look at the draft picks... not the trades for picks, but the players themselves. We'll just grade Tua as an I for now, no weight. But they reach for the LT they let everyone know they wanted in Austin Jackson, and by early season two he's already on to the "well, let's see if maybe he can be salvaged by playing left guard" stage, that's not great. They reach again with a late 1st for CB Ighbinoghene, who now mostly can't even make it to the active roster, a perpetual healthy scratch because he can't play football well. They go back to the OL in the early 2nd to reach again (compared to mock draft consensus) to take a poker blocking RT from a smallish school - and he too is being moved inside already, but at least might be okay as a RG. They convey to the world they want WR Jamar Chase with pick 3 in this year's draft, but trade out of the pick needed to get him and when he's gone they nonchalantnly just take "the next guy on the list" like the dummies in your fantasy league. Maybe Waddle will prove to be the real deal... Chase already looks the part for sure.

So specifics aside, the easiest thing to see/say is that they could have had the potentially awesome battery of QB Justin Herbert and WR Jamarr Chase to build around... and instead they have Tua and Waddle, who'd be going far later in hypothetical re-drafts, based on what we see now. I confess I was all in for Tua over Herbert and they were by no means on an island with that choice, but... if they clean house in the front office in a year or two, it will be the narrative above that wraps it all up.

Overall - I think this feels like a lost season. All they can really hope for is Tua getting healthy, getting out there, and showing them that he can really play. If that happens, and Waddle has a solid rookie campaign, then that's enough, even if it's just replaying the down-the-stretch 2019 season again, where they are a tough out despite being on target for an early draft pick. But, where the trajectory felt like a very steep upward shot 18 months ago... and made them a semi-sexy pick to make noise this year... right now, I'm mostly glad I didn't take the plunge for the first time in decades to buy myself an NFL jersey, because that Miami #1 might feel pretty lonely in a dozen washloads.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:48 PM   #1232
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man poor Giants, now Daniel Jones being evaluated for a concussion.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #1233
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears dead last in yards per game, put up more anemic numbers today, and still somehow win.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #1234
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Impressive showing by the Lions. Losing on another long field goal in a game they should have been out of but held the lead in the final minute. Only Jacksonville is keeping pace. Atlanta has a worse point differential but has won twice.

Fail Finds A Way. The Lions Way.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-10-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #1235
Thomkal
Head Coach

My beloved Cardinals are 5-0 for the first time since 1974. (when I was 8 years old)
Old 10-11-2021, 08:12 PM   #1236
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Good bye again, Jon Gruden.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #1237
bronconick
College Starter

Gruden resigns from a bunch of racist and homophobic emails (from his ESPN account??).
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #1238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #1239
miami_fan
Coordinator

Two things.

1. I did not realize this was part of the WFT investigation. Man, there must be some deranged stuff among those emails.

2. Him resigning has to be a result of him telling Mark Davis that the Michelin Lips comment was the only thing that was problematic in those emails.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #1240
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

given the toxic masculinity that likely runs rampant in the NFL, I suspect there are a LOT of out of touch middle aged white dudes who think this way. Most of them are just smart enough to not leave a paper trail.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #1241
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh one more thing.

The things that are sent to work email address huh?
Old 10-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #1242
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Oh one more thing.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #1243
miami_fan
Coordinator

Damn we are old!
Old 10-11-2021, 08:45 PM   #1244
JPhillips
General Manager

It's simply amazing how dumb and entitled some guys are. DOn't ever put shit like that in writing. How do people not know this?
Old 10-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #1245
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A guy being made to suffer a literal consequence for being a racist homophobic piece of shit is going to really piss off the "NFL is too woke" crowd.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:49 PM   #1246
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I mean its fine that he got fired or resigned. But why were they reading his emails in the 1st place and releasing it to the public?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #1247
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also Urban Meyer has to have the biggest shit eating grin on his face right now
Old 10-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #1248
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I mean its fine that he got fired or resigned. But why were they reading his emails in the 1st place and releasing it to the public?

Part of the Feds raid on WFT for their dirty trainers.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #1249
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Source - Jon Gruden out as Las Vegas Raiders head coach

Quote:
The emails came to light during the NFL's investigation into workplace misconduct with Washington, as "the league was informed of the existence of emails that raised issues beyond the scope of that investigation," according to NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy. Senior league executives reviewed the content of more than 650,000 emails, including the one the Journal reported was written by Gruden to Allen. The NFL sent pertinent emails to the Raiders for review.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #1250
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Part of the Feds raid on WFT for their dirty trainers.

Thanks for that! That would explain why they were reading them.

My follow up question would be. Since his racist emails had nothing to do with what they were searching for isn't there some sort of privacy law against this sort of thing. Not defending it but I am just curious. This could open up an entire new can of worms in the NFL as I think Lathum said above. I would speculate a lot of these old time coaches think like Gruden.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote