Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #1401
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah it was looking great, going to get at least a FG if not TD, then it looked pretty horrible. Not sure they deserved to win, GB in control most of the game. And Murray was injured at the end of the game,,,sigh
Old 10-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #1402
bhlloy
Coordinator

So does Matt Nagy not being able to coach this weekend move the line in the Bears favor?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:27 PM   #1403
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Man, the Lions can't catch a break. An offsetting penalty was taken off the board because the QB accidentally stepped out of bounds before throwing a pass (negating an ineligible man downfield penalty that would have offset a Lions penalty in a goal to go situation)
Old 10-31-2021, 12:47 PM   #1404
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So does Matt Nagy not being able to coach this weekend move the line in the Bears favor?

It should have.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #1405
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So are there any prospects this year worthy of the number one overall pick?
Old 10-31-2021, 01:57 PM   #1406
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So are there any prospects this year worthy of the number one overall pick?

Oregon's Kayvon Thibodeaux?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #1407
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Falcons defense is just putrid, and Calvin Ridley just announced he stepping away from football. Such a mess of an organization.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #1408
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That was a fun little trick play for the two point conversion for the Jets.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #1409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not a stellar day for the Ohio NFL teams.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:16 PM   #1410
Ksyrup

That was the worst call I've ever seen in the Jets/Bengals game. Dude lowered himself to hit the guy in the stomach and the ball carrier crouched down and got swiped in the head. That just simply can't be a thing. There has to be some way to call penalties on ball carriers in the name of "player safety." They are in control of where their body is going, not the defender.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #1411
Thomkal
Head Coach

No not a great call there KSyrup, but man Bengals, such a good game last week followed up with such a bad game.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #1412
JPhillips
General Manager

It's the hope that always kills Cincy fans.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:22 PM   #1413
Ksyrup

Looks like Jameis may have a serious knee injury.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:18 PM   #1414
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Where the fuck is the Broncos heads at?

First the incomplete where they could've made the WFT use all their timeouts to get the ball back with :30 to play, then the running back just had it punched loose.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:27 PM   #1415
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Where the fuck is the Broncos heads at?

First the incomplete where they could've made the WFT use all their timeouts to get the ball back with :30 to play, then the running back just had it punched loose.

Same question to the Saints. Took 16 seconds off the clock with three plays after the 2-minute warning, leaving Brady 1:41 and one TO to get a FG to win
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:28 PM   #1416
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, but of course NO have a pick-6. Guess they knew what they were doing after all!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #1417
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Dola, but of course NO have a pick-6. Guess they knew what they were doing after all!

But even that, all they needed to do was fall down and the game was victory formation.

Just.. apparently Belichick used up all the endgame smarts.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #1418
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Lions may be trolling the NFL this year.

Play a good team? Show the league that they aren't really that good.

Play a bad team? Remind everyone that there's a definition of bad nobody else is capable of but Detroit.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:04 PM   #1419
Ksyrup

Dallas drafted Mike White who threw for 400+ yards for the Jets today but are starting Cooper Rush tonight with Will Grier backing up and might wish they had activated Kellen Moore by the end of this one.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:38 PM   #1420
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Dak who?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #1421
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
But even that, all they needed to do was fall down and the game was victory formation.

Just.. apparently Belichick used up all the endgame smarts.

Watching the replay, you could see his teammate consider pushing him out of bounds and deciding not to. Considering that they ended up winning, it was kind of a funny moment.

It would, of course, be an all-time blunder if the Bucs managed to come back.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #1422
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That was the worst call I've ever seen in the Jets/Bengals game. Dude lowered himself to hit the guy in the stomach and the ball carrier crouched down and got swiped in the head. That just simply can't be a thing. There has to be some way to call penalties on ball carriers in the name of "player safety." They are in control of where their body is going, not the defender.

Not a good call at all, but if you're losing by 3 to the Jets there who's fault is it really
Old 11-01-2021, 08:42 AM   #1423
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Unless they have reversed course, there is a rule penalizing ball carriers for lowering their heads.

NFL owners end tuck rule, approve helmet penalty

A couple of key parts.

Quote:
The most debate came with the crown of the helmet hits rule, which will affect running backs the most. As of Tuesday, the competition committee felt as though it was only one vote away from passing. After further discussion, the vote was 31-1 with the Cincinnati Bengals voting against.

It will now be a 15-yard penalty if a player who is more than three yards downfield or outside of the tackle box delivers a blow with the crown of his helmet. If the offensive and defensive player each lowers his head and uses the crown of the helmet to make contact, each will be penalized.

Quote:
St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the league's competition committee, said the rule doesn't prohibit a runner from using his facemask or hairline part of his helmet.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #1424
Ksyrup

I can't find it now, but there was a twitter thread about how few calls go against the offense on these plays. And the issue for me isn't so much the offensive player "delivering a blow" with the crown of the helmet. It's the defender getting penalized when both players' helmets touch because the offensive player has changed his trajectory a split second before impact. On the play in question, the defender prepared to hit the midsection of the runner and by the time they hit each other, the player had crouched down and their helmets hit.

In this case, it was both - not only did the offensive player crouch down, but he initiated contact with the helmet. Terrible call. And if that's a correct call "by the book," they need to burn it and start over.

I read the referee's comments afterward, and he was an asshole about it - "I'm not here to tell people how to tackle correctly, he could have hit him with the shoulder I suppose." Looked to me like he was coming in with the shoulder and the offensive player caused the helmet contact. You cannot remove the defender's head to ensure that all contact is not going to involve the helmet. I'm all for player safety, but the offensive players should be held to the same standard as the defense. Especially since they are ultimately in control of where they are going.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-01-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #1425
miami_fan
Coordinator

Woah!

Sources - Tennessee Titans RB Derrick Henry suffered potentially season-ending foot injury
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:57 AM   #1426
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I can't find it now, but there was a twitter thread about how few calls go against the offense on these plays. And the issue for me isn't so much the offensive player "delivering a blow" with the crown of the helmet. It's the defender getting penalized when both players' helmets touch because the offensive player has changed his trajectory a split second before impact. On the play in question, the defender prepared to hit the midsection of the runner and by the time they hit each other, the player had crouched down and their helmets hit.

In this case, it was both - not only did the offensive player crouch down, but he initiated contact with the helmet. Terrible call. And if that's a correct call "by the book," they need to burn it and start over.

I read the referee's comments afterward, and he was an asshole about it - "I'm not here to tell people how to tackle correctly, he could have hit him with the shoulder I suppose." Looked to me like he was coming in with the shoulder and the offensive player caused the helmet contact. You cannot remove the defender's head to ensure that all contact is not going to involve the helmet. I'm all for player safety, but the offensive players should be held to the same standard as the defense. Especially since they are ultimately in control of where they are going.

In cases like that, there is really no excuse to not allow the penalty to be reviewable
Old 11-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #1427
Ksyrup

Video of the hit is in this article.

Head Referee Craig Wrolstad Explains Unnecessary Roughness Penalty in Bengals' Loss to Jets - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More
Old 11-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #1428
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, it looks like the Jet player's helmet made a bee-line straight to the defender's helmet. Not sure what the defender is suppose to do in that situation.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #1429
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man, the hits keep coming. Pretty soon they are going to have to call fans on the field to play at this rate.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #1430
Ksyrup

My daughter called me crying to tell me that Von Miller got traded to the Rams.

Then she asked me to buy her a jersey of someone who is still on the Broncos, ha!
Old 11-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #1431
Ksyrup

Old 11-01-2021, 12:00 PM   #1432
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a team-building game-theory thing, it is fascinating.

The Rams clearly think that the rest of the league overvalues draft picks relative to current players. And they are operating accordingly.

It is a copycat league. If they succeed, then it will likely lead to a wholesale market adjustment in which our whole idea of what draft picks are worth will change.

if it fails, then nothing much will change, I suppose.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #1433
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Von Miller to the Rams.

Apparently a new feature in the defensive game plan will be to determine if they want the opposing QB cooked medium rare, well done, or raw.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #1434
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

The Rams clearly think that the rest of the league overvalues draft picks relative to current players. And they are operating accordingly.

It is a copycat league. If they succeed, then it will likely lead to a wholesale market adjustment in which our whole idea of what draft picks are worth will change.

I love that someone is doing this. Look at the flat-out miss rate in the NFL draft, it's crazy high. We who play FOF tend to forget that.

This is a viable way to build a team... plugging in undrafted rookies and late round picks in the slots where you'd usually have your early draft picks, and supplementing with cheap veterans. I'm not saying I hope it works, but I'm glad to see someone shooting the angle.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #1435
Ksyrup

Peyton is great. The 3 people constantly talking over each other is a bit annoying and awkward, but I have enjoyed the little I've seen of that show.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #1436
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Peyton is great. The 3 people constantly talking over each other is a bit annoying and awkward, but I have enjoyed the little I've seen of that show.

Peyton and Eli have brought me back to MNF after years of not bothering with it.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #1437
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Peyton and Eli have brought me back to MNF after years of not bothering with it.

It's a great show but to be honest, I'd rather they didn't have any guests at all. Just Peyton and Eli talking football. Why can't I just have that?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #1438
bhlloy
Coordinator

Agreed, I’ve flicked to it a few times over the weeks and it’s been them shooting the shit with a random guest and ignoring the game every time. I’m in for listening to them break the game down but I have zero interest in watching a glorified late night talk show.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #1439
Swaggs
Coordinator

Is anyone savvy enough with probabilities or betting to figure out what the odds are for all of the AFC West or North teams to make the playoffs? Both divisions' teams are at .500 or better at the midway(ish) point and with the 7-team playoff, this would be the first year that it is even possible to have all the wildcards from the save division.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #1440
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've only had it on very briefly, and it's been mostly Peyton talking about something where he's in disbelief about how someone did something stupid (and explaining why it was stupid with detail) while Eli just is there maybe mumbling something but mostly looking somewhat dazed.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-02-2021 at 11:52 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #1441
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:

This is what "All in" looks like. But there is a reason most teams dont go to this extent. There are inevitable dark years ahead for the rams, and soon. It simply doesn't work to ship all your draft capital and stay sustainable in the salary cap era. Ask the Broncos. They are 32-48, not including this year, since P. Manning retired.

Is it worth 1 super bowl (maybe?) but then be a bottom feeder for at least 5 years? good question...

Maybe things will change but draft capital has almost ALWAYS > player capital.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #1442
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post

Is it worth 1 super bowl (maybe?) but then be a bottom feeder for at least 5 years? good question...

As a Giants fan....yes.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #1443
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, now that the Eagles have one I figure I'm good. They suck and I can deal with that very easily knowing going in that they suck. I don't have to get all riled up about them losing this big game or that or fizzling out in the playoffs.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #1444
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraub View Post
This is what "All in" looks like. But there is a reason most teams dont go to this extent. There are inevitable dark years ahead for the rams, and soon. It simply doesn't work to ship all your draft capital and stay sustainable in the salary cap era. Ask the Broncos. They are 32-48, not including this year, since P. Manning retired.

Maybe things will change but draft capital has almost ALWAYS > player capital.

Pretty sure the Lions would trade all of their picks for the next three years for one Super Bowl win.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #1445
Ksyrup

Henry Ruggs was in a serious car accident this morning. No word on his condition but there's apparently one fatality.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #1446
Swaggs
Coordinator

Maybe someone is doing the math on what type of comp picks some of these guys can eventually convert to and/or they could consider doing a sell-off for drat picks shortly after they peak. I'm interested to see how this plays out long-term, but I feel like there are ways it could work if fans/ownership allow for a tremendous amount of player/identity turnover.

Like if the Steelers went all-in this year, presuming it is Ben's last, they could probably recoup some high picks for guys like TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and some of their skills guys.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #1447
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Henry Ruggs was in a serious car accident this morning. No word on his condition but there's apparently one fatality.

Twitter saying Ruggs is OK. I really hope he wasn't going 120 or something stupid
Old 11-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #1448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Those cars were going very fast

Old 11-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #1449
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:

Playing FOF in a cutthroat MP environment should be mandatory for any GM in the NFL.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #1450
Ksyrup

Well, Ruggs didn't die but he's in serious trouble.