Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Groundhog
Coordinator

"Low Fantasy" book recommendations?

I’m looking for something to read and the term “low fantasy” is new to me, but from what I gather it seems to mean fantasy novels that are a bit more “realistic” and contain less magic, which is a big turn-off for me and the main reason why I never got in to the genre before reading AsoIaF.

I’ve done a bit of googling and read a sample chapter of The Black Company by Glen Cook and it seems like a gritty sort of novel, but I’ve already encountered wizards and manleopards and the like and I can feel my interest slipping and don’t think I will go through with the purchase.

I’ve also downloaded a sample of Gemmell’s Legend that I haven’t started yet, but I’m interested in anyone’s recommendations? Flowery prose is not a must, and I like darker/melancholy type tales.

Last edited by Groundhog : 12-13-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

If you haven't read it already, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is probably the best "low" fantasy out there. There is definitely an undercurrent of magic, but it is clearly not the focus (at least thus far, the series is still being written). It's much more about medieval politics and intrigue, and fantastically well done.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
...and the main reason why I never got in to the genre before reading AsoIaF.

He's already covered that one
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
bronconick
College Starter

Heh. At this point I don't recommend ASOIAF to anyone I like, as they'll likely throw the hardcover versions at me when I tell them there's another 3-5 books to be written and he takes 5 years a book.

I've heard good things about Joe Abercrombie, mainly the "First Law" trilogy, but it's still on my "to do" list, so it's not a first hand endorsement. I liked the Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny, though I'm not sure if it's "low" enough for your tastes.

Last edited by bronconick : 12-14-2011 at 07:14 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
whomario
Pro Starter

How about Patrick Rothfuss ? First book is Name of the Wind , 2nd is called The Wise Manīs Fear. (I think it isnīt yet sure if itīs going to be a trilogy or longer, right now iīd guess 4 or 5 books)
Magic definitely plays some part in it, but at itīs heart itīs a "life story" and a great one at that so far.

Also maybe Peter Brett with No1 The Painted Man and the follow up The Desert Spear
Here the premise (demon-type beings apearing at night that can only be kept at bay by painting symbols on the ground or houses for protection), is kind of "magical" but then again itīs basically just a trade that can be learned.

I myself have just ordered The Lions of Al-Rassan by a Guy Gavriel Kay, has been heavily recommended to me as a historical/fantasy type novel.

Last edited by whomario : 12-14-2011 at 07:58 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
cschex
High School Varsity

Abercrombie's books are the epitome of gritty "low-fantasy." They also have a fantastically cynical sense of humor. I can't recommend them enough.

Another series that has the grimness without the humor is Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God series, which is collected in two paperback editions around 800 pages each.

Lions of Al-Rassan is really good.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Name of the Wind is definitely a great suggestion. Would qualify as "low fantasy" I'd imagine.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Black Company was pretty good - I also liked 'Orcs', not sure its fully 'low fantasy' ... but its written more as a buddy war novel (think Full Metal Jacket but with Orcs) .... very cool.

I'd also suggest the 'Assasins Apprentice Trilogy' - fantastic series of books, very low fantasy and brilliant setting, characterisations ... definitely recommended:

Assasins Apprentice @ Amazon

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-14-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Autumn
Head Coach

I recommend Sailing to Sarantium from Guy Gavriel Kay. It's almost just a historical fiction, but in an altered world and with a bit of fantasy to it. It's first in a two book series, and great, I think.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Weren't the books Conan was derived from low fantasy? Can't remember the author's name though.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

I've been a fan of Kay since his original trilogy, the Fionavar Tapestry-which is a nod to King Arthur era like events and characters when five Canadian University students end up in Fionavar "the first of all worlds"-those are definitely high fantasy books. But most (all?) of his subsequent books could rightly be called historical fantasy. They are set in an alternate version of Earth but use actual historic events from our earth to tell his story.

Under Heaven which I just finished for example-is set an alternate dynastic China-revolving around the events leading to an war that actually took place on "our" Earth. Any magic in the novel is of the supernatural part and appropriate to the era and cultures being used. (ancestors, ghosts, and one character "reborn").

The ending disappointed me, and I prefer High Fantasy over Low, but if you like history like me, the rest of his books outside the original trilogy are certainly worth checking out.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
He's already covered that one

Reading comprehension is apparently not one of my strong suits.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Thanks guys.

Name of the Wind and Chronicles of Amber are two books that I keep seeing mentioned on various forums/lists online, but appreciate the other suggestions too. The Lions of Al-Rassan is a new one for me, sounds interesting.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Weren't the books Conan was derived from low fantasy? Can't remember the author's name though.

Robert E. Howard.

I read some Conan when I was really young and I don't remember much, though I'd say they are probably the archetype of "low fantasy". The hero in Gemmell's Legend is so far a sort of anti-Conan.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Patrick Rothfuss is absolutely brilliant, but magic is a strong part of what he's doing - that being said, he's a better "writer" per se than Martin, IMO (not quite the characters, but the writing).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Patrick Rothfuss is absolutely brilliant, but magic is a strong part of what he's doing - that being said, he's a better "writer" per se than Martin, IMO (not quite the characters, but the writing).

I'm gonna have to guess you only read the first book.

edited to note that opinions may differ widely on the Wise Man's Fear.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 12-14-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'll also second the Joe Abercrombie books.

For Gritty, I don't think you can do any grittier than "Best Served Cold". While you are introduced to a few of the characters in his first trilogy, I think it could stand alone very well.

If you want the full effect, then jump right in with the First Law trilogy with "The Blade Itself".
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
chesapeake
College Starter

The Amber series is more of a blurring of the lines between SF and fantasy, but leaning towards the former. It has been more than 20 years since I read them, but I thought they were great.

If you are interested in going that route, Robert Silverberg's Majipoor books blur the same set of lines and are very good, although they lean even more towards the SF side.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #19
3ric
College Starter

I'd recommend Abercrombie as well, along with "Lies of Locke Lamora" by Stephen Lynch.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Do you want fantastical worlds as are in the Rothfuss and Martin books (I like both series quite a lot)?

The Jim Butcher Dresden Files books are kind of like a cross between mystery/thriller and urban fantasy. I like 'em.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 AM   #21
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

There is also the Mistborn series by Sanderson, that one isn't all about the magic. There is magic involved, of course, but other aspects too. And the First Law books by Abercrombie might fit the bill, as well.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #22
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I second the Rothfuss books and also the Dresden series. Another one I enjoyed was the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
I'd recommend Abercrombie as well, along with "Lies of Locke Lamora" by Stephen Lynch.

Scott Lynch, actually, not that that matters too much.

Lynch's two novels in his budding series are terrific, but right now, he has a novel completion rate similar to Martin's.

His third in the series is due out in Spring 2012, and that's after being pushed back a couple times.

Really good read, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote