Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #201
Dutch
"Dutch"

Agree 100%, Warhammer. I don't watch much news these days, but when I do, I prefer Fox News simply because it's easier to watch. But I see them trying too hard a lot (Sean Hannity, most notably) to meet the needs of viewers. But CNN drove me away by doing the same shit when they were the monopoly. Now at least we have a choice where we want our bullshit spewed from. There is a lot of 'yellow journalism'* though, designed to make a buck at our expense.

Yellow journalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #202
molson
General Manager

I've never watched Fox News but I'm fascinated that there's a simple channel anybody can watch that can cause mass shootings. It reminds of how metal music was going to turn me into a satanist in the 80s. That's used to be the kind of thing we all made fun of. Bring back the Parent Television Counsel! Well, I guess they're still around, they're just not causing as much havoc as they used to.

Last edited by molson : 06-21-2015 at 10:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #203
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
However, he's not alone. Some true Southern conservatives are starting to move on this issue because of the events in Charleston. I don't know if it's enough to affect change, but it does appear to be enough that things might get interesting.
Heh.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/20/politi...uth/index.html
Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #204
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've never watched Fox News but I'm fascinated that there's a simple channel anybody can watch that can cause mass shootings. It reminds of how metal music was going to turn me into a satanist in the 80s. That's used to be the kind of thing we all made fun of. Bring back the Parent Television Counsel! Well, I guess they're still around, they're just not causing as much havoc as they used to.

Well, Columbine WAS Marilyn Manson's fault.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #205
RainMaker
General Manager

I think MSNBC got blamed for the cop execution in New York a couple months ago. Heck, even video games are getting blamed for violence again these days. Things do come back into style.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #206
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

FWIW,

I detest the flag for two reasons...one I understand what it truly represents...and two...the American flag is the only flag we should be flying. A lot of people don't see it as a representation of slavery and I grew up around it and the people that like it and not all of them see it that way...but too many do, so I'm okay with its removal. Hell, I grew up in Mississippi and I would be fine with its removal. In a nutshell, the Confederates lost...get over it.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #207
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't get the Confederate flag thing. I struggle to find a historical equivalent without going way overboard but it's the flag of an entity that rebelled and took up arms against the country everyone claims to love. Standing for some pretty odious things that should never be romanticised comes in a significant second on the list. I just don't understand.

Last edited by bhlloy : 06-21-2015 at 04:28 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #208
Dutch
"Dutch"

It depends where you are from. Its a culture that needs to change from the inside out though. If you are from New York or California, it will only piss people off if its dictated. Hell, even some one like me would get run. In the infamous words of Mississippi Burning, "You aint from around here no more" comes to mind. It is what it is...still, I think its better than it was 20 years ago...but things move.....real....slow in the South.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #209
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I do kinda wonder if that #AskRachael thing was enough to subconsciously push him over the edge. Probably not, but it really spiked the conversation on race leading up to the events
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #210
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Its a culture that needs to change from the inside out though.
Absolutely.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #211
Dutch
"Dutch"

And FWIW, I probably wouldn't have had a problem with the flag if it was confined to select places for historical value. But when people start attaching it to their vehicles...I know who they are and what they think. I like knowing what people think, but I know they aren't history buffs at that point.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #212
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
And FWIW, I probably wouldn't have had a problem with the flag if it was confined to select places for historical value. But when people start attaching it to their vehicles...I know who they are and what they think. I like knowing what people think, but I know they aren't history buffs at that point.

As I explained elsewhere earlier today, there's more of honor & value in that time than in the world we inhabit today. Plain & simple.

I'd die for that flag. I'm getting close to the point where I can't say that about the current one.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:58 PM   #213
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Looks like you'll have a chance to put up or shut up, JiMGA

Movement Grows To Make June 27 'National Burn The Confederate Flag Day'
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Eh, idiots been burning shit for years. Trying to stamp out idiots is a losing proposition in this country at this point. Governmental interference on the other hand, that's a different deal.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #215
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Ugh, well, its better than the FB challenge where liberals burn the American flag...I suppose. But Roof wouldn't want it any other way...burn that flag he would say...
Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #216
Ben E Lou

While the rest of the country seems to want the focus to be on a fight over a flag that--last time I checked--a shockingly high number of black South Carolinians don't want removed, the Lowcountry just keeps on chuggin'. Posting this here because for some reason it is getting little/no play in the national media.

Organizers says 20,000 joined Bridge to Peace march on Ravenel B - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Quote:
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCIV) -- Thousands of people joined members of the Emanuel AME Church and Mount Pleasant Police Chief Carl Ritchie Sunday night in a unity march to the top of the Ravenel Bridge dubbed the Bridge to Peace.

Organizers estimate there were as many as 20,000 people who joined in the march in honor of the nine people who were killed inside the church last week.

People were high-fiving, hugging and singing as they walked up the bridge to create a unity chain. The energy only seized during a 9-minute moment of silence for the victims.

Early estimates ranged between 10,000 to 20,000 people, who came from as far as Charlotte, Memphis and Garden City. The crowd was so large not everyone made it onto the bridge.

Ida Fresselli, a local woman, had hopes of making it for the duration of the walk -- but also had serious doubts she could make it. Standing at the foot of the bridge before the march, Fresselli said she came alone to the march because she was worried she would slow down her friends and possibly fail to make the summit.

But Fresselli was among those who reached the top of the bridge in time for the moments of silence.

"I never thought I would make it," she said, a big smile on her face. "I did it!"

Monique Williams, who is from Memphis but spent the weekend vacationing in Myrtle Beach, said she was starting to head home before a friend told her she shouldn't miss the Bridge to Peace event.

So she and her daughter, Bree, and cousin Gabby made the drive to Charleston late Sunday morning.

"We just wanted to be part of this historic event," she said, relating a story of meeting a young girl who regularly visited the library where 54-year-old Cynthia Hurd worked before she was killed in Wednesday's church shooting.

To commemorate their attendance, they took selfies at the base of the bridge.

A few yards and several hundred feet away, a Clover, South Carolina, family says they made the drive to Charleston to take part in the unity walk to show their support.

"We wanted to represent our church and let Charleston know we stand with them," said Lois.

"It's a beautiful community you have here," her husband added.

The group was led by police chief Ritchie, Jay Johnson, the national leader of the Black Lives Matter group, and members of the victims' families.

Before the march started, Johnson spoke, telling the crowd it was time for Black Lives Matter to end and a new group to be born -- All Lives Matter. He said, during the return march from the crest of the bridge, that he had been wearing a Black Lives Matter shirt but took it off and discarded it because that effort had grown to something larger.

As the lead group made their way through the thousands of people still making their way up the bridge, Johnson repeatedly told them that the city was making history.

Johnson was one of the organizers of the unity rally in Baltimore after the death of Freddie Gray in police custody. He said after Sunday night's even that Baltimore drew 17,000 people, but Charleston delivered 20,000 or more.

Ritchie was energized as he led the group to the top of the bridge. At one point he looked at Johnson, smiling, and said: "And we wondered if we could get 200 people out here."

Ritchie said the energy of the group gave him such a boost he couldn't help but charge up the bridge.

"You did it! You made history, Charleston," Johnson said repeatedly as he encountered people.

There were hugs. There were high-fives. There were cheers. On the three operational lanes of traffic running parallel to the walkway, there were people stopping to take photos and honk their horns in support.

In the harbor below, dozens of boats lined up on the northbound side of the bridge, blowing their horns as the march moved to the peak.

People said the bridge will always be remembered for this event.

"I am super proud of my city tonight," one woman said.

The (white) police chief, the head of Black Lives Matter, and the families of 9 people murdered 4 days beforehand. Kudos, Charleston.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #217
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

This is a gentleman I've met a couple times.
He has more credibility here than I would so Ill let him speak.

Black Confederate - YouTube

Last edited by CU Tiger : 06-22-2015 at 07:25 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #218
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As I explained elsewhere earlier today, there's more of honor & value in that time than in the world we inhabit today. Plain & simple.

Which is nonsense, of course. It is laughable to say there was honor and value in a time where one group of humans owned and tortured another group of humans.

Last edited by BillJasper : 06-22-2015 at 09:05 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Which is nonsense, of course.

Not nearly as nonsensical as claiming there's much of value in the current direction the country has been taking.

There's such a thing as relativity y'know.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yes, and you are relatively nuts.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #221
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Which is nonsense, of course. It is laughable to say there was honor and value in a time where one group of humans owned and tortured another group of humans.

I havent heard anyone, even Jon ( ) condone slavery.
History is a funny thing. We only remember part of it. As a southerner I take a lot of pride in the spirit of my ancestors who fought and died for a cause they believed in. People on this board have stated that the South/CSA was a terrorist organization that took up arms against its government. When in fact the South was unjustly accosted by the Washington Bureaucrats . The Union attacked the CSA on Southern soil after the South seceeded by legal means. The war had little to do about slavery.

Period.

You probably already know this but, Lincoln introduced the slavery doctrine deep into the conflict for the express reason of influencing and preventing Renaissance era France from joining the war and siding with the Confederacy which they were in process of doing. He knew that by positioning it as a war against slavery he would prevent French involvement as otherwise France was on the way is support of Southern Cotton which they had become so dependent upon.

Don't believe this, then answer these two questions:
1) Why the Emancipation Proclamation ONLY free slaves currently held in Confederate states?
2) Why did at the time of his death Lincoln still "employ" 4 unpaid servants.

I despise slavery. I despise racism. I despise ignorance.

I really dont care if the flag stays or goes from the grounds. But if its to be removed I hope it is by a vote of the people of SC. If it is remove by force or coercion from outsiders I hope blood is spilled in the process.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #222
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not nearly as nonsensical as claiming there's much of value in the current direction the country has been taking.

There's such a thing as relativity y'know.

Bullshit.

But you're right. The world we live in is fucked up when people are actually fighting to keep a symbol of oppression flying over a state capitol of the United States. For all the nonsense about 'honor and value' we know exactly why people honor and value that symbol. They are those that simply have to hate and we'll be better off when they move on from this world.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #223
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

1) Why the Emancipation Proclamation ONLY free slaves currently held in Confederate states?

Well in short Lincoln only had the authority to free slaves held in Confederate states.

ETA: Actually I think it's more accurate to say that Lincoln had no legal authority to free slaves in the Union. But as a War Measure he could free slaves in the South that escaped to the North.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-22-2015 at 09:43 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #224
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
People on this board have stated that the South/CSA was a terrorist organization that took up arms against its government.

Yes, but you forgot in order to uphold a doctrine of enslaving other people - read the secession documents from the slave states, all of them talk about slavery.

The war was entirely about slavery. One side wanted to leave the union because they thought their slaves would be taken away from them. Full stop.

The flag of the Army of Northern Virginia honors traitors who wanted to own people. It is almost as bad as flying a Nazi swastika over Bavaria and equivalent to flying an Apartheid flag over Johannesburg.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-22-2015 at 09:41 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #225
molson
General Manager

I don't think the confederate flag causes mass shootings, but it is an convenient way to separate dirtbags from normal people. I remember at Syracuse in the mid-90s one Freshman (from Texas I think) proudly displayed the flag on his door. OK, good to know, we knew where to keep clear from, and that probably avoided some drunken brawls in the future. Because it wasn't just an indication of primitive racial and social views, it was also a pretty clear indicator of character generally - he wanted to be defiant, he wanted to upset people, he wanted confrontation. When you know that ahead of time and steer clear, I think things go smoother. There were maybe 4-5 black guys on the floor, so I'm sure it was good for them to know the score to and where to watch their step.

Also, it's kind of funny and pathetic. Its a flag of losers, and they proudly display it anyway. To commentate not only the civil war failure, but their societal failures as well. We've moved further and further away what they think is right. If they want to cling to their stupid little flag, I'm won't lose sleep over it, I'll just laugh at them.

Last edited by molson : 06-22-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #226
BillJasper
Pro Starter

The South also apparently shot first...

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/sumter.htm
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #227
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The flag of the Army of Northern Virginia honors traitors who wanted to own people. It is almost as bad as flying a Nazi swastika over Bavaria and equivalent to flying an Apartheid flag over Johannesburg.

Most soldiers in the Confederate Army did not own anyone and there were other reasons for joining.

I have an ancestor who only joined the Confederate Army because the Union burned his farm down and he needed to eat.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #228
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Most soldiers in the Confederate Army did not own anyone and there were other reasons for joining.

I have an ancestor who only joined the Confederate Army because the Union burned his farm down and he needed to eat.

Most soldiers in the Wehrmacht never killed a Jewish person.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #229
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most soldiers in the Wehrmacht never killed a Jewish person.

Yeah. Whatever one's personal feelings were, at some point they have to realize they were on the wrong side.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #230
molson
General Manager

That all doesn't even matter, we're not judging individuals who had limited life choices in the civil war or WWII era, we're judging those WITH choices who choose to continue those legacies many decades later. I have way more sympathy for a decent German or American southerner being caught up in a force far bigger than themselves than I do a douchebag with a flag on his pickup truck.

Last edited by molson : 06-22-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #231
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That all doesn't even matter, we're not judging individuals who had limited life choices in the civil war or WWII era, we're judging those WITH choices who choose to continue those legacies many decades later. I have way more sympathy than a decent German or American southerner being caught up in a force far bigger than them than I do a douchebag with a flag on his pickup truck.

Fair point.

And recall that most of these flags of the Army of Northern Virginia went up on statehouses across the South in the 1950s - to protest segregation, not for "our heritage".
Old 06-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #232
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well in short Lincoln only had the authority to free slaves held in Confederate states.

ETA: Actually I think it's more accurate to say that Lincoln had no legal authority to free slaves in the Union. But as a War Measure he could free slaves in the South that escaped to the North.

The language was:
Quote:
all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free; and the Executive Government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, or any of them, in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom.

Not sure I understand the war measure part of your response.

No mention of escaping to the North.

Seriously I dont care about the flags placement. Take it down or leave it up. Means nothing to me. At one point in time I had an image in my gameroom, actually a museum piece, an actual flag flown during the war along with a number of recovered bullets/balls. I eventually took it down. Simply because so many people didn't understand what it meant or represented to me and I got tired of explaining it. In short I have overcame seemingly insurmountable odds my entire life. I always felt a little of my ancestors spirit drove that. None of that has anything to do with slavery.

Heck Ive been pretty open on this forum about my childhood. I grew up in foster care and boarding school. The people I lived with the longest that I most associate with "mom and dad" are black. I dont attend Church very much these days but when I do its at a "black baptist church". I'm pretty sure I'm not a racist. LOL....Heck even Jon can attest to this. When Clemson played UGA last year one of my dear friends rode down with me to Athens. He is black his wife is white. I was in their wedding. I actually messaged Jon ahead of time to gauge the waters and see how they would be received where we parked (in a lot that Jon's son's boyscout troop managed). So please do not boil this down to:
support flag = racist
oppose flag = not racist.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #233
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The world we live in is fucked up when people are actually fighting to keep a symbol of oppression flying over a state capitol of the United States. .

It hasnt flown over the capital in over a decade.
But keep on making blanket statements about people you dont know on a subject you clearly arent educated about.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #234
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Fair point.

And recall that most of these flags of the Army of Northern Virginia went up on statehouses across the South in the 1950s - to protest segregation, not for "our heritage".

While we are on the subject.
The confederate battle emblem is what flies on the SC Statehouse grounds not the Army of Northern Virgina Flag.

This is the army of N VA flag:
Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #235
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It hasnt flown over the capital in over a decade.
But keep on making blanket statements about people you dont know on a subject you clearly arent educated about.

Are you going to really going to quibble about if flying next to the capital rather than over it?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #236
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
While we are on the subject.
The confederate battle emblem is what flies on the SC Statehouse grounds not the Army of Northern Virgina Flag.

This is the army of N VA flag:

Fair enough. Army of Northern Virginia Battle Flag (it was originally designed for the ANV by William Porcher Miles).
Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #237
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The language was:

Not sure I understand the war measure part of your response.

No mention of escaping to the North.

The emancipation proclamation was a moot point for southern slaves. Which Southerner was going to listen to Lincoln or the Federal government? If a slave escaped to the North then s/he was recognized as free. If they remained in the south they were still considered a slave by Southerners.

As for the War Measure part, Lincoln had no legal authority to free slaves in states that did not rebel. However as the Commander in Chief prosecuting a war, he had far more executive power over rebelling states, at least power recognized by the Federal government.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #238
molson
General Manager

Quote:
support flag = racist

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I think if someone displays that flag, either they don't care that they're projecting racial hostility, they're actually trying to project racial hostility, or they're too ignorant to understand what they're projecting. None of which are good character traits, IMO. So I don't want to ban it or anything, but it's good to know who around me thinks a symbol of a defeated nation is so important to deify that it's worth antagonizing huge groups of people for.

The swastika has all kinds of meanings in various religions and cultures throughout history. Even if I sincerely embrace one of those previous uses of the symbol, I still don't get to wave it on my front lawn unless I'm totally OK with projecting hostility. If I did, I'm telling people, "I don't give a fuck if this upsets you, projecting my conquered culture is more important to me than that." Just not very neighborly.

It's also kind of like the whole discussion of the term "thug". There were a group of posters that were desperately protective of that term (and of using it incorrectly, to describe people that aren't even criminals). The need to use that word was bigger than their need not to project racial hostility.

Generally, I'd like to avoid projecting hate. There's maybe something that I'd find more important than that. It certainly would never be a physical symbol of any kind though. I hold the U.S. to a much higher regard than most of my peers, but I still wouldn't wave a huge American flag outside of my house, because I know the actual projection that I'd give off would be something more militaristic and conservative that I don't necessarily agree with. It's just a symbol, it's not worth sending projections I don't agree with. The way I life my life, and what I actually try to do for the country, is more important.

Last edited by molson : 06-22-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #239
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
The emancipation proclamation was a moot point for southern slaves. Which Southerner was going to listen to Lincoln or the Federal government? If a slave escaped to the North then s/he was recognized as free. If they remained in the south they were still considered a slave by Southerners.

As for the War Measure part, Lincoln had no legal authority to free slaves in states that did not rebel. However as the Commander in Chief prosecuting a war, he had far more executive power over rebelling states, at least power recognized by the Federal government.

Of course, the south did its own emancipation proclamation during the war as well....for the same reason...manpower. Just they did it to late. They did in fact have black confederate units being trained at wars end...they never saw combat though. Weird! Bottom line, slavery was going to die no matter who won. Assuming they were good on their laws post war.

Last edited by Dutch : 06-22-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #240
Ben E Lou

Quote:
So please do not boil this down to:
support flag = racist
I mentioned it earlier, and this morning finally saw some numbers from 2014: as of last year, 61% of black people in SC supported the removal of that flag. (In a poll taken a good while back, that number was virtually the same.) As monolithic as black voters in SC are in terms of voting for the Democratic Party, that number is stunningly low. It's fairly obvious to anyone actually paying attention to the details that this is an issue that's far more complex than the simplistic broad brush with which it's being painted by outsiders.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-22-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #241
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I havent heard anyone, even Jon ( ) condone slavery.
History is a funny thing. We only remember part of it. As a southerner I take a lot of pride in the spirit of my ancestors who fought and died for a cause they believed in. People on this board have stated that the South/CSA was a terrorist organization that took up arms against its government. When in fact the South was unjustly accosted by the Washington Bureaucrats . The Union attacked the CSA on Southern soil after the South seceeded by legal means. The war had little to do about slavery.

Period.

You probably already know this but, Lincoln introduced the slavery doctrine deep into the conflict for the express reason of influencing and preventing Renaissance era France from joining the war and siding with the Confederacy which they were in process of doing. He knew that by positioning it as a war against slavery he would prevent French involvement as otherwise France was on the way is support of Southern Cotton which they had become so dependent upon.

2) Why did at the time of his death Lincoln still "employ" 4 unpaid servants.

I despise slavery. I despise racism. I despise ignorance.

I really dont care if the flag stays or goes from the grounds. But if its to be removed I hope it is by a vote of the people of SC. If it is remove by force or coercion from outsiders I hope blood is spilled in the process.

While it think it is fair to say the common Northern narrative of the war is not totally accurate, it is then is also true that this Sourthern narrative is not fully accurate.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #242
JPhillips
General Manager

Every few years I have to dig this post up.

Quote:
Afer reading "Apostles of Disunion" by Charles Dew its impossible for me to not see slavery as the main issue leading to secession. Dew uses the comments of the Secession Commissioners that were sent by the lower southern states to the states that were on the fence. These make it clear that the states that seceeded first told the others that they should seceed because of slavery.

Some quotes from Dew's book.

Mississippi's commissioner to Georgia closed his statement with,
"Sink or swim, live or die, survive or perish, the part of Mississippi is chosen, she will never submit to this Black Republican Administration.
She had rather see the last of her race, men, women, and children, immolated in one common funeral pile, than see them subjected to the degradation of civil, political and social equality with the negro race."

Alabama's commissioner to Delaware said that Lincoln sought,
"the establishment of an equality of races in our midst."

Georgia's commissioner to Virginia stated the reason for Georgia's secession,
"This reason may be summed up in a single proposition. It was a conviction, a deep conviction on the part of Georgia, that a seperation from the North was the only thing that could prevent the abolition of slavery."

Prominent Southern orator John Preston Smith said in 1861,
"the conflict between slavery and non-slavery is a conflict for life and death."

Don't ever let anyone tell you that slavery was a peripheral issue. That sort of revisionism happened after the South's defeat as a way to justify their cause. As states tried to convince each other to seceed, the one theme they returned to over and over was the "Black Republican's" unholy desire to see the black man as equal to the white.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #243
Ben E Lou

Quote:
A statement "from his family" came yesterday, I think. Checking now...
I haven't read the entire thread, but meant to mention this if it hasn't been mentioned: I read a day or two ago that his sister is the one who saw the picture and called the FBI to identify him.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #244
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'd die for that flag. I'm getting close to the point where I can't say that about the current one.

Interesting dellima. I'm just spitballing here, but here's how I see it:

The question is what does it mean to exist or not. Whether it is noble to put up with outrageous materialism, comfort, stability and longevity, or to take up arms against those very things.

Are we really alive if all that we have is every-thing we've wanted?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #245
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Some true Southern conservatives are starting to move on this issue because of the events in Charleston. I don't know if it's enough to affect change, but it does appear to be enough that things might get interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Well, if forceful removal of the confederate flag led to some kind of armed rebellion, at least it would be easy to get rid of the racist nutbags who take up arms.
Well, your preference is your preference. I'd rather see no one die.

And realistically, it wouldn't lead to a full "taking up arms." I suspect that it would help create more incidents like this one, though.

Quote:

How d'ya do, guvnah? (Rumors are now that Haley's press conference today is to call for removal.)

http://www.fitsnews.com/2015/06/22/s...-address-flag/

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 06-22-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #246
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I mentioned it earlier, and this morning finally saw some numbers from 2014: as of last year, 61% of black people in SC supported the removal of that flag. (In a poll taken a good while back, that number was virtually the same.) As monolithic as black voters in SC are in terms of voting for the Democratic Party, that number is stunningly low. It's fairly obvious to anyone actually paying attention to the details that this is an issue that's far more complex than the simplistic broad brush with which it's being painted by outsiders.

I'd think that African-American allegiance to a culture that enslaved and segregated them is a symptom of the problem. (support of the latter, as ISiddiqui said earlier, is the reason the flag is still so prominent today). Hell, it's weird to me to see you so buddy-buddy with JIMGA here considering some of his expressed attitudes. But I also know I don't understand all the different factors at play.

Last edited by molson : 06-22-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #247
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Well, your preference is your preference. I'd rather see no one die.

And realistically, it wouldn't lead to a full "taking up arms." I suspect that it would help create more incidents like this one, though.

How d'ya do, guvnah? (Rumors are now that Haley's press conference today is to call for removal.)

http://www.fitsnews.com/2015/06/22/s...-address-flag/

Of course, the Sons of Confederacy will probably take the flag, buy some land next to the capital, call it a museum and put the flag up on a flag pole and have a plaque that reads, "This was the flag we took off the lawn, 40 feet over yonder."
Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #248
Dutch
"Dutch"

Seriously though, the Confederates fly a HUGE flag at the I-4 and I-75 interchange in Tampa....at a "memorial"...so, I expect that to happen as soon as the flag is pulled down...the flag as a historic/cultural flag will be forever gone...and the racist version will be in full display. That's how it works...unfortunately.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #249
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, it's interesting to me to see slavery both dismissed as a reason for the Civil War and put forth as the only/primary reason for the Civil War.

Any Civil War historian will tell you that there were a large number of factors that led to the Civil War, slavery being one, but also cultural identity, industrial versus agrarian economics, and the beliefs of different individuals on the values of state rights versus the country's.

Also, if I recall right, the Supreme Court actually ruled on the legality of secession after the Civil War (secession did not win).

And the Emancipation was merely symbolic. It had no actual power.

I know this, and I am not even a Civil War buff. AENeumann, go get your brother in here!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #250
Dutch
"Dutch"

I am just glad it was *a* reason.