Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2023, 06:27 PM   #151
Edward64
Head Coach

I know there's QB issues but this is more than just QB.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #152
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Alabama squeaks by USF, just like everyone predict.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:47 PM   #153
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Iowa with 41 today at home? Did they have to delay the game to truck in a 3 and a 4 to put in the tens digit on the scoreboard?

Poor MSU. I can imagine Dantonio is thinking, "do I really need the money?" It's not going to be pretty when Michigan goes to East Lansing. That's going to be a very angry team and a point spread I'd imagine will be impossible to cover.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 06:51 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I know there's QB issues but this is more than just QB.

Looks more like an inept OL than any of the other position groups.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:27 PM   #155
bob
College Starter

Well, if we could actually kick or catch the ball we'd be tied.

However, we can't, so GT still hasn't scored against Ole Miss in 5+ quarters.

Fortunately they can't catch either.

Last edited by bob : 09-16-2023 at 07:32 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 07:51 PM   #156
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina cruising at the half against visiting Duquesne, with 2 INTs run back for TD 45-0. Would not surprise me if they sit down QB McCall for the second half and give the backups some time.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:57 PM   #157
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs were like a TD favorite over BYU. But it looks like it's going to be another one of those games. Losing 21-14 with 4min left in the half.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #158
GrantDawg

Florida killing Tennessee right now. Just dragging them up and down the field.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:22 PM   #159
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Hogs were like a TD favorite over BYU. But it looks like it's going to be another one of those games. Losing 21-14 with 4min left in the half.

Whew, we're up 24-21 going into the half.

That's more like it.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:23 PM   #160
bronconick
College Starter

Tennessee doesn't win in Gainesville. That streak will be drinking age next year.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 08:54 PM   #161
bob
College Starter

Why do I do this to myself every year?
Old 09-16-2023, 09:16 PM   #162
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal Carolina cruising at the half against visiting Duquesne, with 2 INTs run back for TD 45-0. Would not surprise me if they sit down QB McCall for the second half and give the backups some time.

And they continued to cruise even with the backups in and score what might be a record number of points 66-7. Woot!
Old 09-16-2023, 09:27 PM   #163
GrantDawg

Stay classy, Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2023, 09:37 PM   #164
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Stay classy, Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

What did they do?
Old 09-16-2023, 09:37 PM   #165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure what Tennessee expected.

I mean, if you don't bother to show up on defense at all, that rarely ends well. All the bad calls in the world don't overshadow that reality.

Just an embarrassing performance. Or it should be.

Whether it is in the NIL era, I honestly can't say.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:47 PM   #166
bob
College Starter

I doubt GT ever really becomes relevant again, but hiring Brent Key was not the right move in my opinion.

We had second and 2 down by two scores with time running out and we ran 3 times in a row?

Last edited by bob : 09-16-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:57 PM   #167
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I doubt GT ever really becomes relevant again, but hiring Brent Key was not the right move in my opinion.

We had second and 2 down by two scores with time running out and we ran 3 times in a row?

Tech's answer to Matt Luke.

And we saw how THAT went.

Of course, it's GT. He'll be there for years ... and then they'll make a move & hire somebody like Clark Lea to replace him.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:57 PM   #168
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Let's Go Rams!
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:15 PM   #169
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I'm kinda on the Colorado thing now. Sanders makes no pretensions about what he's doing. He's getting results. This will help college football with the inevitable transition. It's an interesting story.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:22 PM   #170
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh well, another year of broken dreams.

At least it didn't happen in Game 1.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:11 PM   #171
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I'm kinda on the Colorado thing now. Sanders makes no pretensions about what he's doing. He's getting results. This will help college football with the inevitable transition. It's an interesting story.

I'm rooting for Sanders to do well. But I'm also rooting for Colorado State right now. Lose 3 games get to a nice bowl vindicates Sanders. Lose 1 game and get to the National Championships will make Sanders insufferable.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #172
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

CSU up by 7 at the half. The sunglasses have already come off.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 09-16-2023 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:22 AM   #173
Galaril
Pro Starter

CSU up by 11 in the early 4th qtr. I don’t recognize this CSU team frankly. The hype definitely got them fired up for the game.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-17-2023 at 12:49 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:50 AM   #174
Galaril
Pro Starter

Ok crazy game. Sanders drivers CU 99 yards with 2 minutes left in the game and get the 2pm it conversion. Tied game at midnight here in Colorado. Going to OT.

Last edited by Galaril : 09-17-2023 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 12:59 AM   #175
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'm running on fumes
Old 09-17-2023, 01:10 AM   #176
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I'm running on fumes

Same. So tired.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:26 AM   #177
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Shedeur is impressive
Old 09-17-2023, 01:27 AM   #178
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow quite the ending. Oregon is likely boat racing these guys next weekend but quite the win though they were 24 point favorites. Good night
Old 09-17-2023, 01:57 AM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lose 1 game and get to the National Championships will make Sanders insufferable.

He's already farrrrr past that.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:46 AM   #180
bob
College Starter

Former ND quarterbacks today:

5-13 52 yds., 0 TD 2 INT, 2 lost fumbles (Drew Pyne, ASU)
8-20 81 yds., 0 TD 3 INT (Phil Jurkovec, Pitt)
5-14 34 yds., 0 TD 0 INT (Buchner, Alabama)

I don’t know what to make of that, exactly, but that’s something to behold.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:27 AM   #181
Edward64
Head Coach

Every year around this time, I go into a funk for 3-6 weeks (not necessarily consecutively though). It's when the Hogs lose a game they shouldn't have or a competitive game.

I suspect many of us here this issue. Does this mean we have an unhealthy relationship with CFB, taking it way too seriously, and should not watch it anymore?
Old 09-17-2023, 09:35 AM   #182
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Every year around this time, I go into a funk for 3-6 weeks (not necessarily consecutively though). It's when the Hogs lose a game they shouldn't have or a competitive game.

I suspect many of us here this issue. Does this mean we have an unhealthy relationship with CFB, taking it way too seriously, and should not watch it anymore?

Eh, I can relate but not in a long time.

No shortage of people like that around me but, tbh, when your lifelong association to college football is Georgia Tech at some point it just gets beaten out of you.

I'm more disgusted at this point by occasional winners than I am with losses.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:08 AM   #183
GrantDawg

Quote:

I really think that is just sports fandom. There are definite levels to it, from the casual "nice if we win, but it doesn't mean much when we lose" to the extreme "My team lost, so now I have to go punch someone." I feel like if you are able to keep yourself from attacking someone, then you are a healthy level of fan.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #184
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
What did they do?
This sequence. The game should have been over on the last play but Heupel chose to be a prick and call time out with 7 seconds left. The Florida QB then does the dance around behind the line to burn the clock, and Vol player hits him as he is taking a knee and then a brawl ensues. Unnecessary b.s. by a sore loser.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:27 AM   #185
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was a weird Saturday of games. Lots of teams looked like they were sleepwalking for large stretches of games.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:12 AM   #186
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW, I stopped watching live sports of any kind because of the emotional reaction to results. Everybody has to make their own call on that, but it just disgusted me how much it affected me.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:49 AM   #187
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That was a weird Saturday of games. Lots of teams looked like they were sleepwalking for large stretches of games.

Well, so many of the matchups were crap. At least there were a couple of conference games and some of the middle-tier power 5s had out of conference matchups which were at least mildly entertaining (Purdue/Syracuse, Carolina/Minnesota

Nobody wants to see this Bethune-Cookman/Miami, Bowling Green/Michigan, Wyoming/Texas, Western Kentucky/Ohio State, Central Michigan/Notre Dame, Alabama/South Florida, Weber State/Utah, Hawaii/Oregon, Oklahoma/Tulsa, NC Central/UCLA crap. Yeah, it plays on campus. It's a load of shit for the millions of the rest of us.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:59 PM   #188
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I really think that is just sports fandom. There are definite levels to it, from the casual "nice if we win, but it doesn't mean much when we lose" to the extreme "My team lost, so now I have to go punch someone." I feel like if you are able to keep yourself from attacking someone, then you are a healthy level of fan.

I definitely don't feel like attacking anyone but I do get into a noticeable funk the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
FWIW, I stopped watching live sports of any kind because of the emotional reaction to results. Everybody has to make their own call on that, but it just disgusted me how much it affected me.

Yeah, don't like how it's affecting me. I think I'll try your way and avoid watching Hogs play. If they get to a nice Bowl, sure.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:34 PM   #189
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

College FB is the only sport that affects me this way. I still root for the Broncos/Lions, Phillies/Tigers, even FSU basketball this past year when they fell off a cliff I just kinda shrugged it off and stopped following every game closely.

Yesterday we were hiking Mt. Rainier so we had no service for about 5 hours. Missed the whole FSU/BC game except 2 friggin' texts somehow came through from my daughter - "FSU sucks" and "Jordan Travis is hurt." I... could have done without getting those texts. When I finally got service and saw we won, it was just relief. But seeing how it all played out, I'm glad I missed the game. Or at least the 4th quarter.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-17-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #190
Edward64
Head Coach

You're right. I don't feel like this with the Falcons or Hog basketball, those I kinda just shrug off. But not Razorback Football for some weird reason.

Well, good to know there's a couple of you that share my malady.
Old 09-17-2023, 09:43 PM   #191
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa goes completely out of character at the end of the game and score a TD instead fof kneeling, which they ALWAYS dis.

Got BF a little cushion in his quest for 325.

BF took a 50k pay cut. But if the team reaches 325 points and 7+ wins he gets a 112,500 bonus, which mean he actually makes 62,500 more this season than last. More than the 40 raise he got the year before.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:03 AM   #192
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I'm really proud of Div II Miles College from the SIAA. Beat one SWAC school in Alabama St. last week, and came close to beating a second (Arkansas-Pine Bluff) this week. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in conference.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:45 AM   #193
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So a conference that has 8 top 25 teams, 3 top 10 teams, the reigning Heisman winner and 2 other strong candidates, and 3 QBs who can easily be top 10 picks next year, will cease to exist next year. what an abomination
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 12:57 PM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sources - FAU QB Casey Thompson out for season with ACL, meniscus tears - ESPN
Old 09-18-2023, 01:01 PM   #195
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nebraska RBs Gabe Ervin Jr., Rahmir Johnson out for season - ESPN

Ervin, a former Buford (GA) HS star, will have missed 21 of a possible 36 games due to injury in the first three seasons of his college career

edit to add: The new (and previous) starter will be Anthony Grant ... another former Buford (GA) HS star oddly enough

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-18-2023 at 01:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 01:08 PM   #196
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas

Gonna go for a 7th year of eligibility.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 03:17 PM   #197
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nebraska RBs Gabe Ervin Jr., Rahmir Johnson out for season - ESPN

Ervin, a former Buford (GA) HS star, will have missed 21 of a possible 36 games due to injury in the first three seasons of his college career

edit to add: The new (and previous) starter will be Anthony Grant ... another former Buford (GA) HS star oddly enough
Well you know, it is hard to think of Nebraska without thinking of Buford, Ga.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:25 PM   #198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well you know, it is hard to think of Nebraska without thinking of Buford, Ga.

I dunno.

I mean, in Buford, they actually win games
Old 09-18-2023, 03:27 PM   #199
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I dunno.

I mean, in Buford, they actually win games
But they really like corn.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #200
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Connelly week 3 recap ranking the 39 unbeaten teams - ESPN

Boom!!

Last edited by Lathum : 09-18-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote