Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #151
JPhillips
General Manager

It would be an interesting poll question. Would you rather be unknown, but financially secure or be constantly financially insecure, but have the experiences of Anvil members?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #152
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Clerks and The Crow are on instant.

I watched Astonishing X-Men. It covers issues 1-24 of the comic written by Joss Whedon. It's a motion comic book animation so there are some issues with it, but overall it's a quick watch considering there are 6 parts of about 11-14 minutes each with credits.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #153
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Sports Night is available streaming now. I haven't seen it (yet) but I know I've heard good things about it from others on this board.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #154
Butter
Coordinator

Kids in the Hall is also available now.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #155
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Deadliest Warrior is up as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #156
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Deadliest Warrior is up as well.

If you were on Sportsdigs you would have known that this was up two weeks ago at least.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #157
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I Saw The Devil. A guys kills the fiancée of an elite special agent and then the agent seeks revenge. It's a film that could be done in 30-45 minutes and it pretty much feels that way. At that point I was really wondering how the hell there was a 2:20 long movie in this. Oh, but it's a Korean psychological thriller directed by KIM Jee-woon (The Good, The Bad, The Weird and A Tale of Two Sisters). CHOI Min-sik(Oldboy) plays the killer. It's violent to the point of being uncomfortable and skips the R rating and gleefully gets an NR. Even without the ending, it was a solid building of tension and with a cop out ending still works and is way more than enjoyable. However, there is no cop out ending. The ending is beautiful in a messed up way that some Korean film makers seem to make their signature.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #158
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
I Saw The Devil. A guys kills the fiancée of an elite special agent and then the agent seeks revenge. It's a film that could be done in 30-45 minutes and it pretty much feels that way. At that point I was really wondering how the hell there was a 2:20 long movie in this. Oh, but it's a Korean psychological thriller directed by KIM Jee-woon (The Good, The Bad, The Weird and A Tale of Two Sisters). CHOI Min-sik(Oldboy) plays the killer. It's violent to the point of being uncomfortable and skips the R rating and gleefully gets an NR. Even without the ending, it was a solid building of tension and with a cop out ending still works and is way more than enjoyable. However, there is no cop out ending. The ending is beautiful in a messed up way that some Korean film makers seem to make their signature.

It was a brutal gut punch of a movie, I really enjoyed it, though it was violent, overpoweringly sad, funny in bits, horror abounds. It never dragged, it just got more twisted. Still by the end, I felt that I had watched something awesome.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #159
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Marwencol is a great documentary about a former alcoholic that was beaten nearly to death and now creates and photographs pseudo-WWII scenes as a sort of self therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I watched Marwencol a few weeks ago. Was really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I concur, I watched it too. Odd to think that getting lost in fantasy allows for one to get reattached to reality.

Thanks for this. Amazing...amazing movie.
It is amazing to see a tragedy and chance change the direction of his life for the better. There are many more levels to this, of course, but I don't want to ruin it for those who take a chance to watch this.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #160
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am thoroughly enjoying the 7 and a half hours of the ROCK in the WWE.

Like Steam?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #161
PilotMan
Head Coach

Tudor's season 3 and 4 are now on to go along with 1 and 2. Fan-fucking-tasic.

Like Steam?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #162
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not sure if you were aware, but a couple of obscure sci-fi series called Star Trek (TOS) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (as well as Voyager and Enterprise) are now available on Netflix Watch Instantly for the next two years at least. I hear DS9 is coming on October 1st. It's going to be a very Star Trek heavy next few months for me.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #163
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

Documentary about a guy who's on several medications and has a medical condition in which he breaks out into rashes and whatnot. He decided to change his diet and his life completely changed.

Absolutely.must.watch. It's one of those life changing movies... it's changed our lives, that's for sure.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm thinking it's time to see Reservoir Dogs again, haven't seen it in at all in several years.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #165
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

If you haven't seen it, the 'When We Left Earth' documentary series it is an absolute must. Great insight and footage on the NASA program. Lots of info on the moon mission decade that I didn't know.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-09-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #166
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

Documentary about a guy who's on several medications and has a medical condition in which he breaks out into rashes and whatnot. He decided to change his diet and his life completely changed.

Absolutely.must.watch. It's one of those life changing movies... it's changed our lives, that's for sure.

I saw it being new, so I added it, but didn't watch it yet.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #167
fpres
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not sure if you were aware, but a couple of obscure sci-fi series called Star Trek (TOS) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (as well as Voyager and Enterprise) are now available on Netflix Watch Instantly for the next two years at least. I hear DS9 is coming on October 1st. It's going to be a very Star Trek heavy next few months for me.

Thanks for the info. I've been hoping these series would be available at some point. Time to start watching everything over again.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #168
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I saw it being new, so I added it, but didn't watch it yet.

Watched it. I liked it a lot. Probably not the thing to watch while eating a frozen pizza and drinking pop just after getting groceries.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #169
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Riveting, emotional and terribly depressing. Also incredible storytelling, very raw. Highly recommend.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #170
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea. I remember watching that on MSNBC about three years ago. Stuck with me for days. One of the few things when people ask what it's about I tell them it's best if I say nothing. Just watch.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 07-09-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #171
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It's been posted before as a major tear jerker. It's in my queue. I'm trying to just be in the mood for it.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #172
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Watched it. I liked it a lot. Probably not the thing to watch while eating a frozen pizza and drinking pop just after getting groceries.

Hahaha. I've done simlar stuff - eating M&Ms while reading a diet book, eating a burger while watching Losing It with Jillian Michaels, and on and on and on
Old 07-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #173
McLovin
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Riveting, emotional and terribly depressing. Also incredible storytelling, very raw. Highly recommend.

That was a hard one to watch. Stirred up a lot of different emotions. One of the best documentaries I have ever watched and is definitely a must see.

Last edited by McLovin : 07-10-2011 at 04:02 PM.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #174
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Black Death
Awesome flick starring Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones). During the first wave of the pleague there is word of a remote town that is unaffected. Rumors indicate the town has a witch that is protecting them from the plague. The Bishop sends out a small group lead by his leutenant to investigate. Very good and gritty.

Last edited by Grammaticus : 07-10-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #175
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Dear Zachary got to me like few other documentaries. I think we might have had a thread about it.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #176
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I have a question for all you Netflix experts. I'm seriously considering canceling my Directv account. I'm past the introductory rate and I get the run around when trying to redo my deal even though I know I'll end up in another commitment. So, do any of you rely on just Netflix and the Internet for your TV viewing?

Right now I have a 360 connected to the internet and I know I can watch Netflix on it. Is the quality good or should I look into buying an internet ready TV? (and if yes, then which one?) The only downside I'm seeing is the lack of sports options, but as long as I can watch the away Colts games someplace, I'll be fine.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #177
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Right now I have a 360 connected to the internet and I know I can watch Netflix on it. Is the quality good or should I look into buying an internet ready TV? (and if yes, then which one?) The only downside I'm seeing is the lack of sports options, but as long as I can watch the away Colts games someplace, I'll be fine.

The quality depends on your internet connection. If your 360 has a wired connection (and you have the right connection between your 360 and TV) you will get HD-level quality.

If you have a wireless connection the quality will depend on the strength of your 360 wireless connection. Mine fades in and out a bit. Sometimes I hit the HD-level quality other times I don't.

Overall, the quality can be quite excellent.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #178
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Thanks. My 360 has a wired connection through the the router. Downloads seem to work pretty well on them. I have a free month trial, so I'll give it a whirl and see how the quality is on it.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #179
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Thanks. My 360 has a wired connection through the the router. Downloads seem to work pretty well on them. I have a free month trial, so I'll give it a whirl and see how the quality is on it.

The quality should be fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #180
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What they said. I have a wired connection directly to my TV and HD programming is just as good as watching something on HD over cable (a few stutters every once in a while, though that happens).
Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #181
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What they said. I have a wired connection directly to my TV and HD programming is just as good as watching something on HD over cable (a few stutters every once in a while, though that happens).

720p is the highest streaming level that I get with a Roku player and a 20.0 MG wireless (N band) connection

Like Steam?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #182
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Black Death
Awesome flick starring Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones). During the first wave of the pleague there is word of a remote town that is unaffected. Rumors indicate the town has a witch that is protecting them from the plague. The Bishop sends out a small group lead by his leutenant to investigate. Very good and gritty.

Antmeister and I were trying to figure out if we should watch this, or IP Man, We went with IP Man but will probably watch Black Death sometime this week.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #183
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
We watched Ip Man based on the recommendations over at slickdeals (the Blu-Ray is $14). I would heartily recommend this movie for any kung fu fan...or anyone else for that matter. My wife's chief complaint is she didn't like reading the subtitles, but I got used to it after a bit.

It is an excellent movie.

Spoiler

Spoiler

IP Man, yes check it out. Full of kung-fu awesomeness.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #184
molson
General Manager

Looks like some price increases at Netflix. I don't think it's worth some of the outrage I'm reading on the internet, but it's now $16/month for 1 DVD + streaming, and $20/month for 2 DVD + streaming (the latter is a $5/month increase I think).
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #185
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Looks like some price increases at Netflix. I don't think it's worth some of the outrage I'm reading on the internet, but it's now $16/month for 1 DVD + streaming, and $20/month for 2 DVD + streaming (the latter is a $5/month increase I think).

I think my issue is that it's the second price change in a short period of time. This gives me less confidence that this pricing is going to stay for a significant period of time.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #186
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Seriously? Yeah I think I'm canceling completely now.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #187
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I think my issue is that it's the second price change in a short period of time. This gives me less confidence that this pricing is going to stay for a significant period of time.

Someone else here made the point about how we're really in the golden age of price/options. It's going to be a completely different deal in 5-10 years. What I get from Netflix now is worth so much more than what I pay, I just shrug these increases off. I would have needed a second job to pay Blockbuster what I get from Netflix. Except Blockbuster didn't even have every movie/TV show ever recorded to DVD. Netflix at $16/month is at least triple of the value of Cable/Satellite at $80ish/month.

Last edited by molson : 07-12-2011 at 02:08 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Netflix at $16/month is at least triple of the value of Cable/Satellite at $80ish/month.

Unless, of course, the majority of what your family is watching is catching up on random stuff primarily from cable.

Me - haven't watched anything yet except for being in the room with my kid

Son - after a few stray movies (albeit a couple of good ones), mostly a few missed eps of things like Ultimate Warrior, Billy the Exterminator, 70s Show

Wife - a few movies, otherwise mostly old TV (AbFab, Ally McBeal, 30something, etc)

At the moment (i.e. summer break) there's probably $20 of value in it for them. Once school starts back, I've got my doubts about that.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #189
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hasn't Netflix been clear that they want to get away from physical discs and into streaming, so increasing price for physical media would be in line with that? Or is the streaming-only package going up noticably as well?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #190
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Yup.. I was paying like idano.. $10 or $11 for unlimited streaming and 2 DVDs last summer... now it's getting a second increase and going up to $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Unless, of course, the majority of what your family is watching is catching up on random stuff primarily from cable.

Me - haven't watched anything yet except for being in the room with my kid

Son - after a few stray movies (albeit a couple of good ones), mostly a few missed eps of things like Ultimate Warrior, Billy the Exterminator, 70s Show

Wife - a few movies, otherwise mostly old TV (AbFab, Ally McBeal, 30something, etc)

At the moment (i.e. summer break) there's probably $20 of value in it for them. Once school starts back, I've got my doubts about that.

This is the problem. Outside of TV to some extent, their streaming selection still sucks. I need to look into hulu more, but I really see no way I go streaming only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Hasn't Netflix been clear that they want to get away from physical discs and into streaming, so increasing price for physical media would be in line with that? Or is the streaming-only package going up noticably as well?

See above. If they want to do that, they'd damned well better step up their game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #191
wade moore
lolzcat

and greg, looks like streaming only and dvd only aren't seeing a jump, just those plans that do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #192
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
This is the problem. Outside of TV to some extent, their streaming selection still sucks.

Kind of my feeling about it. For the vast majority of movies, if I didn't see them at release I really wasn't all that interested anyway. And for older stuff, it's a matter of convenience to rewatch, not something particularly urgent (and rarely anything I can't eventually catch somewhere on Dish).

Outside of a handful of movies I'd like to make sure my kid sees, it's really no big whoop to me.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #193
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
and greg, looks like streaming only and dvd only aren't seeing a jump, just those plans that do both.

Maybe the reason here then is that they hit subscriber limits that have triggered contract clauses, so they want to make sure that those counting as "streaming" subscribers actually use it, and don't just have it added to their physical media plan as a convenience. They could lose money on people that aren't actually streaming but are signed up for it, so they want to make sure those getting physical media also really want the streaming and use it and thus pay for it, rather than it being the throw-in it started as to get customers when Netflix got the streaming content for cheap.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #194
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Kind of my feeling about it. For the vast majority of movies, if I didn't see them at release I really wasn't all that interested anyway. And for older stuff, it's a matter of convenience to rewatch, not something particularly urgent (and rarely anything I can't eventually catch somewhere on Dish).

Outside of a handful of movies I'd like to make sure my kid sees, it's really no big whoop to me.

FWIW, a major use for us is Disney Channel and Nickelodeon shows the kids still love to watch. Plus some other movies and whatnot, but shows like Phineas & Ferb and Jimmy Neutron get a lot of the Netflix time these days.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #195
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

This is the problem. Outside of TV to some extent, their streaming selection still sucks. I need to look into hulu more, but I really see no way I go streaming only.

IMO Hulu's selection is even more limited than Netflix *and* you have to sit through periodic advertising too, even if you do the Plus subscription.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #196
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
720p is the highest streaming level that I get with a Roku player and a 20.0 MG wireless (N band) connection

720p and 1080i are basically the same. 1080p is only for Blu-ray at this point.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #197
PilotMan
Head Coach

wade you're way off base on the selection stuff, imo. Now we haven't had cable at all in almost 9 years so there wasn't a lot of competition before, but have had netflix for almost 2 years now and hulu+ since it started, we as a family aren't even close to running out of things to watch. I guess it's what you expect. I mean, if you expect to get first run movies and all the seasons of all current tv episodes on premium cable and network tv, you might need to lower your expectations a little. I think that's all fine to work for, but that's not even in the realm of possible for anyone without a dish and DVR right now.

I have mixed feelings about the hike. On one hand it sucks that it's so close on the heels of the last hike, on the other hand, I'm with molson, we get way more value out than we pay, and third, as a shareholder, it's certainly positive for the stock price.

Like Steam?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #198
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I mean, if you expect to get first run movies and all the seasons of all current tv episodes on premium cable and network tv, you might need to lower your expectations a little.

Agreed. There are plenty of things on there, once you admit you aren't going to get the latest-and-greatest. But that's why you're paying $80/month less.

I finally watched Firefly thanks to Netflix. This whole thread is full of stuff. My wife and I finally watched the first season of 24, commercial free and at our leisure. Plenty for the kids, and plenty of movies we didn't get to see the first time around and don't feel like buying Blu-Rays for. Of course, the reality is I just play more games now and don't watch as much TV as I used to, which helps as well.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #199
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that's a pretty big price jump - essentially doubling in price in less than a year (8.99 to 15.98).

their streaming selection has improved, but I don't think it's improved THAT much. I'll definitely need to think about this one.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #200
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Unless I missed it, there was no notification of the upcoming price changes when I logged into Netflix. I only heard about it through the grapevine on the net. Then when I logged into my account information and clicked see membership terms, only then did I see the change.

I think it is pretty poor form from Netflix not to have some sort of formal announcement when you log in. (unless I missed it, then oops)
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote