Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #51
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've been convinced it is an act all along. For someone who is trying to appear psychotic, he is in remarkable control.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #52
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'm convinced it is an act now.

But to what end? Why is he doing this? I've heard rumors of a Borat-type documentary. Is that it?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #53
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
But to what end? Why is he doing this? I've heard rumors of a Borat-type documentary. Is that it?

That's what I've heard as well.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #54
Rizon
Pro Starter

In other surprising news: Lance Bass is gay.

Casey Affleck Admits his Joaquin Phoenix Documentary Wasn't Real

hxxp://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/16/casey-affleck-admits-his-joaquin-phoenix-documentary-wasnt-real-are-you-at-all-surprised/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #55
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The flaw in this is that it lacked any believablity. If he was a good rapper, then maybe the "is this real?" thing would have worked. But when you read this kind of scene, it's impossible for him to be doing this for real, when he's essentially making himself look like a fool:

Quote:
The candid film includes footage of him apparently taking drugs, surfing the internet for call girls, hosting prostitutes, diving off a stage to attack a heckler and vomiting.

It also features rap star Sean Combs, who, after several failed attempts on Phoenix's part to set up a meeting, agrees to listen to a demo of his hip-hop music. Combs's face as he listens to the three demo tracks is one of the movie's highlights, and Phoenix leaves crestfallen when Combs makes clear he will not produce his record.

I mean, that's basically a celebrity humiliating himself American Idol-style. Who believes that's real?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #56
whomario
Pro Starter

Wasting well over a year of your life for sth that couldnīt possibly make sense or work (i.e. fool anyone) is just sad to see.

I mean, what the hell was he thinking ?

Itīs not even good as a publicity stunt in regards to future work prospects. I mean, is there any way heīs getting a decent character role ever again ? Or is the "retirement" part actually true ?

totally unrelated factoid : One of his sisters (actress as well aparently but also sang back up vocals for REM and the Red Hot Chili peppers ...) is named "Rain Joan of Arc Bottom".Seriously ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 09-17-2010 at 10:44 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #57
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Wasting well over a year of your life for sth that couldnīt possibly make sense or work (i.e. fool anyone) is just sad to see.

I mean, what the hell was he thinking ?

Itīs not even good as a publicity stunt in regards to future work prospects. I mean, is there any way heīs getting a decent character role ever again ? Or is the "retirement" part actually true ?

totally unrelated factoid : One of his sisters (actress as well aparently but also sang back up vocals for REM and the Red Hot Chili peppers ...) is named "Rain Joan of Arc Bottom".Seriously ?

It's original, at least, when Hollywood isn't doing anything remotely original. He tried to do something people haven't been doing. Heard a critic on the radio this morning, said that in retrospect, knowing it wasn't real (he didn't know it wasn't real when he saw it) and also knowing what a fool Phoenix had made of himself and what risk he took doing this, the critic was impressed with the dedication and, looking back, that Phoenix did an inspired job of acting/role playing (both in real life and in the documentary).

As for his future in character roles or in leads, I am not sure why this project would affect his prospects. If he says he's out of "retirement", I would presume studios would flock to hiring him again.

Circle Sept. 22 (next Wednesday) on your calendar. Apparently he's doing Letterman that night.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #58
Ksyrup

How can it be original when the first thing anyone thought of after the Letterman appearance was Andy Kaufman? OK, so he filmed it. That makes it Andy Kaufman crossed with Blair Witch Project (which, itself, has been copied a ton of times since - most recently this Catfish "documentary" about FB relationships which appear to be fake (at least, it appears everyone involved knew the truth but filmed it as if they didn't) but is being promoted as real) crossed with any number of celebrity-based reality shows that are basically scripted commercials following their lives.

But again, this one was so preposterous, it couldn't have the desired effect. I'm not sure why you'd give that away at this point, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #59
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tried too hard to be Borat.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Must have been cool to have that awesome beard as part of your job.

/jealous
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #61
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I donno, I find it really neat and interesting. Props to them for trying something that not many would have the balls for.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
How can it be original when the first thing anyone thought of after the Letterman appearance was Andy Kaufman? OK, so he filmed it. That makes it Andy Kaufman crossed with Blair Witch Project (which, itself, has been copied a ton of times since - most recently this Catfish "documentary" about FB relationships which appear to be fake (at least, it appears everyone involved knew the truth but filmed it as if they didn't) but is being promoted as real) crossed with any number of celebrity-based reality shows that are basically scripted commercials following their lives.

But again, this one was so preposterous, it couldn't have the desired effect. I'm not sure why you'd give that away at this point, though.

Okay, if not absolutely original, sure as hell a lot more original than the "Space Babies" crap or whatever comic book hero film or old TV show restart or the same-ole-same-ole by the numbers action-suspense-rom com-blah-blah movies we usually get from the studios.

I don't why they would admit it's fake now; you would have to ask them. If it's as preposterous as you say (have you seen it? the critic I mentioned above said the same thing, that some of it was just so unbelievable, it had to be a gag), wouldn't it be obvious, anyway, so what's the point in keeping up the act?

I'm not saying this is great entertainment or nothing; I just don't see why the form in which it was taken is such a negative. It was a not so cookie cutter approach to a personal documentary, and the making of the documentary was part of the film and the hype for it really. A different way of doing things to be sure, but it still seems to have been a creative project with some merit to it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-17-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #63
Ksyrup

Interesting:

Quote:
In the Times interview, Affleck says Letterman was unaware of the joke. But according to an August 19, 2009, interview with one of his writers, Letterman was very much in on it. In NUVO Newsweekly, an independent weekly from Indianapolis, Marc D. Allan spoke to Bill Scheft, Letterman's monologue writer.

In the interview Scheft reveals, "Dave knew about it and Dave loved it because he could play along. He could do whatever he wanted with it. And he did, and it was great television." The writer also says he gave Letterman a line to use during a commercial break. "I will take credit for the line, 'I think I owe Farrah Fawcett an apology.' That line was mine."

What's amazing is that this interview is from 2009, and yet nobody seemed to pick up on it. We called Mr. Allan to confirm that Mr. Scheft was being sincere in the interview. Mr. Allan says that not only was Mr. Scheft sincere, but he (Mr. Allen) sent the article out to numerous publications as proof that Phoenix's behavior was just a ruse. Nobody ever picked up on it.

Writer Says Letterman Knew Phoenix Was Faking - A-Line: the celebrity style blog - omg! on Yahoo
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #64
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I donno, I find it really neat and interesting. Props to them for trying something that not many would have the balls for.

+1
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #65
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

wait, its fake? i think a new movie genre is born, we can call 'em... mockumentaries
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #66
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
wait, its fake? i think a new movie genre is born, we can call 'em... mockumentaries

Yeah, exactly.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #67
Ksyrup

Man, asses are being covered all over the place! Dude admits this wasn't real, questions pop up about whether Letterman knew that, someone points out that the question was asked and answered a year ago and no one bothered to follow-up, that story gained some traction, and then all of a sudden Phoenix is back on Letterman and they're having a conversation about how Phoenix is sorry for deceiving Dave and Dave says he had fun with it, etc.

What a load of BS.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #68
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

There are alot of things to get yer panties in a wad for and this ain't one of em'. Bottom line is he did something creative (how good it was you could debate). Who knew what and when is pointless. Oh noes, I was deceived by Joaquin Phoenix!!! It's a mockumentary not Watergate.

I'll probably watch it because I like Joaquin Phoenix and it is probably more interesting that 90% of the crap that shoveled down our throat.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 09-24-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #69
Ksyrup

Oh I don't give a shit about him or the movie. I just think the posturing is transparent.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #70
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't get it -- if it's fake, wouldn't that mean there's not really a film?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #71
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Oh I don't give a shit about him or the movie. I just think the posturing is transparent.

Sorry, my 'panties in a wad' was a generic reference to the coverage being given to this and 'apologies' coming out... not directed towards you.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #72
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I don't get it -- if it's fake, wouldn't that mean there's not really a film?

It's kinda like Spinal Tap and its ilk, I suppose - only with the actors playing themselves.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #73
DanGarion
Coordinator

How about that Borat.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote