Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #151
Swaggs
Coordinator

Doh... guess Jefferson is still in.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #152
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just back from the game. It was a great game. Arkansas played great in the first half and most of the third. A few too many mistakes on offense, but still played well enough to win. The difference in the game is that Alabama changed their defensive scheme and got blitzers free runs at Mallett repeatedly. Mallett had a poor 4th quarter because of the pressure. The game changed immediately when the blitzes started working.

Proud of the team, but disappointed we didn't finish and get the big win.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #153
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'm loving what Harbaugh is doing at Stanford.

He never takes his foot off the gas pedal.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #154
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So UGA looks like it will be heading to 1-3. Things are not good in Athens. Who will be the potential replacement for Richt if the bottom totally falls out?

I assume Kirby Smart perhaps? Also other options are Muschamp (I'd say unlikely) or Bud Foster maybe?

Fact. 2-3 years ago somebody tried to argue with me that they would take Richt over Saban and Richt was one the premier coaches in the land. Yeah, not looking so good now.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #155
Swaggs
Coordinator

Well, that was a slugfest. Our young quarterback couldn't put together a drive, even though we had two opportunities at the end. LSU's defense is fast, tough, and mean. I think our defense is pretty good, too (although their QB either got badly rattled or is just plain bad).

I guess I can live with a 20-14 loss on the road at LSU. I doubt that we'll win out the rest of our regular season games, but I don't see any games on the schedule that we shouldn't be favored in. Hopefully we don't drop too far in the rankings.

I think LSU's quarterback play will catch up with them once or twice before the season is out, but they have a title worthy defense and special teams unit.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #156
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Well, that was a slugfest. Our young quarterback couldn't put together a drive, even though we had two opportunities at the end. LSU's defense is fast, tough, and mean. I think our defense is pretty good, too (although their QB either got badly rattled or is just plain bad).

I guess I can live with a 20-14 loss on the road at LSU. I doubt that we'll win out the rest of our regular season games, but I don't see any games on the schedule that we shouldn't be favored in. Hopefully we don't drop too far in the rankings.

I think LSU's quarterback play will catch up with them once or twice before the season is out, but they have a title worthy defense and special teams unit.

If we don't win out from here I'll be disappointed. I haven't bought into the "most talent in the Big East" people have thrown around the past 2 years, but this year WVU is the most talented team in the Big East. This is the first year Stew has had anything resembling depth and even thought a lot of that depth is young it is very talented.

The Pitt and UConn games are the only games I could picture us losing, but even those we should be favored in and both have major issues (UConn at QB and Pitt's OLine is awful). This is a really good football that's a young Oline jelling away from being even better.

Mullen is getting a lot of heat, but all playcalling issues go back to the line. Mullen has shown what the offense is capable of when he gets at least decent blocking.

Congrats to LSU. It was a good game and WVU didn't win, but at least it didn't embarrass the Big East.

PS: Looking for a right side to an offensive line. If anyone has any extras it's probably an upgrade for us.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #157
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Oregon with two defensive TD's already, and what should have been a 3rd messed up by the officials blowing a fumble dead prematurely. Still a game though - 42-31 entering the 4th.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #158
Izulde
Head Coach

I've been telling people all week we not only needed to beat New Mexico, we needed to beat them soundly.

Cue up a 45-10 destruction of the Lobos. Oh, it was a sweet, sweet evening in Sam Boyd Stadium.

QB Omar Clayton - 14/20 for 194 yards and 3 TDs

WR Michael Johnson - 8 catches for 138 yards and 3 TDs

Johnson, by the way, has been pretty damn amazing this year. Everybody thought Phillip Payne was going to be the main man, but it's been Johnson who's been Clayton's favorite target and with good reason. He made some fantastic catches and moves tonight.

S Mike Clausen, who has gone from starting QB to starting S all in the space of four weeks, got an interception,which was awesome to see, but I was most happy about my favorite Rebel, CB Will Chandler, getting another pick.

We held the Lobos' freshman QB to 17/40 passing, 177 yards, a TD and 2 INTs.

Now for the bad part. Our defense has a tendency to still give up too many big plays. Run defense still isn't very good and our offensive line continues to struggle too much in protection.

But this was exactly the kind of huge statement win we needed to give us momentum and confidence heading into next week's Las Vegas showdown with UN-R (Nevada to the rest of the country).

Will we beat them? Probably not. But that momentum and confidence, plus home field advantage, means it's going to crazy here in Sin City next Saturday in the battle for the Fremont Cannon.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 09-26-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #159
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I just left the Hawaii game @ Halftime with UH up 49-7. We needed a game against a FCS school.. 2-2 heading into WAC play next weekend. We got LaTech @ home saturday and thinking that should be a win. here is to hoping
Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #160
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sack-less coaching decision of the day goes to UAB's coach, who decides to go for a FG on 4th-and-2 at the 4 on the first possession of the 2nd OT, on the road at UT. That was an automatic losing decision. Next play - UT TD. Nice job, dude. But hey, you're kicker will now be at 8% confidence when you play out the remaining meaningless games on your schedule.

Not sure how unimpressed I'm allowed to be with a 31-0 win, but damn FSU looked mediocre on offense. Something is just off with them. The RBs are good, but not consistently good and they switch them up too much for one guy to be the dominant man. And too many screens and shit for the WRs. Defense has turned it around in the 2 weeks following the OU debacle - 10 points to BYU, none to Wake Forest. Still thinking 8-4 or 9-3.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #161
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

UCLA 31, Texas 12
Neb 17, South Dakota State 3
Oklahoma 31, Cincinnati 29

Anyone want to continue the ridiculous argument that MBBF is trying to 'bring down' the top B12 programs? All I saw was three teams yesterday doing that all on their own. The Big 12 this year is not even remotely close to last year's Big 12. It's going to be a dog fight amongst several 'good' teams. We'll likely have two teams in the championship game with two losses this year and no national championship contenders. There are no clear leaders and there's certainly no top 10 teams in this conference right now. That's been made obviously clear.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #162
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
UCLA 31, Texas 12
Neb 17, South Dakota State 3
Oklahoma 31, Cincinnati 29

Anyone want to continue the ridiculous argument that MBBF is trying to 'bring down' the top B12 programs? All I saw was three teams yesterday doing that all on their own. The Big 12 this year is not even remotely close to last year's Big 12. It's going to be a dog fight amongst several 'good' teams. We'll likely have two teams in the championship game with two losses this year and no national championship contenders. There are no clear leaders and there's certainly no top 10 teams in this conference right now. That's been made obviously clear.

I hate to say it...out of those 3 games, Nebraska is the only one that should have been a yawner and wasn't...

The Big 10 despite their boasting had nothing but cupcakes on their schedule yesterday.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #163
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just watched highlights of ASU/Oregon, fun game. But what needs to be said is ASU LB Vontaze Burfict is the most exciting LB in college football. He is a flat out monster and will easily be a top 15 pick whenever he comes out.

I knew he was good last year, but this year he is on another level.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #164
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I hate to say it...out of those 3 games, Nebraska is the only one that should have been a yawner and wasn't...

The Big 10 despite their boasting had nothing but cupcakes on their schedule yesterday.

Hey I said this back on page one, Temple/PSU was the best Big Ten game yesterday. It was a terrible week OOC for us.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Sack-less coaching decision of the day goes to UAB's coach, who decides to go for a FG on 4th-and-2 at the 4 on the first possession of the 2nd OT, on the road at UT. That was an automatic losing decision.

Eh, they'd been stopped on 4 of their last 5 plays needing 3 yards or less, so it definitely wasn't a gimme play (one of the few things that didn't come easy for their offense yesterday).

Also, given the Vols total lack of offense on the day & the ability of UAB to get to Simms consistently, even a tying field goal wasn't a sure thing for them either.

Under the circumstances, I'm not really critical of the decision to avoid the big dice roll at that moment and take away their chances to win on a day when they surely deserved it.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #166
kingfc22
Head Coach

Stanford up to #9 in the polls. Wow!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #167
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kingfc, how many teams do you have?!?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #168
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Kingfc, how many teams do you have?!?

My only team is U of M.

Just noting that Harbaugh has done one hell of a job.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #169
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
If LSU had a pretty good QB, we would be one of the best teams in the nation right now. Lots of LSU fans are wondering if that QB is on the bench. The problem is that QB on the bench threw 7 pick-6's as a Freshman in 2008. So if that is the best solution to ineptitude..
...or he could be lined up at WR right now. (And I recall what you said about Shepard earlier - I just think he'd still be better than Lee or Jefferson.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Good lord Mallett can wing it. Looks like a battle for #1 pick between him and Luck. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Luck stayed for his Junior season. Would be crazy though after seeing what happened to Locker.
Can we please stop with the "Jake Locker would have gone #1 overall if he came out as a JR" talk? I know the draft is hard to predict (see Tim Tebow 1st round and Jimmy Clausen 2nd), but he didn't receive a 1st-round grade from the NFL advisory committee. Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. can say he was the #1 pick all they want - the actual people who scout for NFL teams weren't buying it any more than when the analysts said Jevan Snead was a 1st-round talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Stanford up to #9 in the polls. Wow!
For all the shit people talk about how bad Notre Dame is, teams sure do get a lot of credit for beating them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I'm loving what Harbaugh is doing at Stanford.

He never takes his foot off the gas pedal.
I don't have a problem with the TD vs. ND. Challenging a fumble when up 68-24? Bitch move.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just watched highlights of ASU/Oregon, fun game. But what needs to be said is ASU LB Vontaze Burfict is the most exciting LB in college football. He is a flat out monster and will easily be a top 15 pick whenever he comes out.

I knew he was good last year, but this year he is on another level.

He's also a dirty player and an aggressive head hunter. Saw that myself in his game against UCLA and heard of other questionable plays in other games.

He looks like the next Ray Lewis--only meaner.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #171
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
For all the shit people talk about how bad Notre Dame is, teams sure do get a lot of credit for beating them.

Right now, I give Stanford a heck of lot more credit for what they did to UCLA than I do for what they did yesterday. Yesterday was a foregone conclusion in my mind.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #172
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and I agree on Harbaugh. As much as I love him pissing in Cheatey Petey's Cheerios last year, the guy has no class at all and someone should "accidentally" miss a sideline tackle and knock his ass out. That said, he's a heck of a football coach.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #173
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Not really sure teams are taking a lot of credit for them. U of M and MSU are still both 7-5 type teams at best. New coach, new system, new QB. I'm not surprised they are 1-3 and they are rather close to being 3-1 instead.

Quote:
Challenging a fumble when up 68-24? Bitch move.

He's going to rub enough people the wrong way it will come back on him. He's pretty much the new Spurrier, but at least Spurrier was at Florida. I'm not sure what the ceiling is at Standford. Let's see what they are like when the QB is gone. If they regress and have an off year, he's going to get it handed to him at some point.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #174
Butter
Coordinator

As for Harbaugh and being classy: What do you want, the guy went to Michigan.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #175
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I need a non-partisan reality check from those of you who watched the OSU-BSU game. Was the play when James Rodgers got knocked out dirty? It looked like a pretty ugly case of headhunting to me.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #176
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
As for Harbaugh and being classy: What do you want, the guy went to Michigan.

Yeah no kidding. I can't stand the guy but he sure is a football coach. I probably would want him coaching my favorite team whether college or pro but as a guy ahh I just say I wouldn't want him dating my daughter.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #177
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Right now, I give Stanford a heck of lot more credit for what they did to UCLA than I do for what they did yesterday. Yesterday was a foregone conclusion in my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Not really sure teams are taking a lot of credit for them. U of M and MSU are still both 7-5 type teams at best. New coach, new system, new QB. I'm not surprised they are 1-3 and they are rather close to being 3-1 instead.
More a commentary on the pollsters - Michigan and Michigan State jump into the top 25, Stanford jumps into the top 10. Pollsters should be paying attention to games that aren't televised nationally, but there's probably some logic in the increased visibility that playing ND offers.