Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #301
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
lol WHAT! That was totally pass interference. He held and bumped into the receiver waaaaay past 5 yards.

he didnt hold him, and the WR was the one trying to go thru the defender. the defender turned around to play the ball and the wr tried to jump thru him
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #302
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I kinda wanted him to miss so the Packers could get MORE penalties in OT

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #303
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

A kickoff return TD would be amazing right now.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #304
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
he didnt hold him, and the WR was the one trying to go thru the defender. the defender turned around to play the ball and the wr tried to jump thru him

Did you watch the play? The defender never turned and completely held him with both arms.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #306
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well, they got more flags on the return!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #307
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Has there been a worse 3-0 team than these Bears?

Kansas City?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #308
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

So, the Pack get another foul at least.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #310
JS19
College Prospect

and after an impressive display of playing catch... The Bears are 3-0.

Last edited by JS19 : 09-27-2010 at 10:45 PM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #311
henry296
College Starter

Who had Bears, Chiefs and Steelers as last three unbeatens?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #312
Jas_lov
College Starter

I can't believe McCarthy didn't just let them score on that 1st down play. They had over a minute and 1 TO. Much better than 4 seconds.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #313
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

17 penalties? Cheese N Rice...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #314
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Total nailbiter. If Fortre punches it in, I lose my money league game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #315
RendeR
Coordinator

18, they got another one on the final kickoff.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #316
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I can't believe McCarthy didn't just let them score on that 1st down play. They had over a minute and 1 TO. Much better than 4 seconds.

When it got down to the 2, ya.. just let them go in. Surprised the Bears ran it though. Take a step back, take a knee.

Radio will be interesting tomorrow.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #317
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post

Plus he pissed away a timeout on the turnover at 2:07. How is it that he always makes challenges so oblivious to the obvious conclusion?

And really? He thought Gould had a better chance of missing an 18 yard field goal than Rodgers did of driving for a TD with 1 minute to go? Bleh.

This game was really irritating to watch as a Packers fan. Talk about not doing the little things. So many should-have-been turnovers, not to mention infinite penalties.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #318
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Packers looked pretty sloppy tonight. But with a home crowd and 17 penalties (including a questionable holding call on the TD), the Bears still only won by 3.

I'll go on record right now saying none of the 3-0 teams will make the playoffs. SD still comes out of the West, Cincy and Baltimore from the North and GB and Min from the NFC North.

There are a lot of "Broncos clones" from 09 undefeated right now.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #319
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
Plus he pissed away a timeout on the turnover at 2:07. How is it that he always makes challenges so oblivious to the obvious conclusion?

I always complain about that too with him. However.. in that position you hope for something.. maybe the defenders foot hit the line and he was the first to touch it. I won't fry him too much on that one.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #320
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Packers looked pretty sloppy tonight. But with a home crowd and 17 penalties (including a questionable holding call on the TD), the Bears still only won by 3.

I'll go on record right now saying none of the 3-0 teams will make the playoffs. SD still comes out of the West, Cincy and Baltimore from the North and GB and Min from the NFC North.

There are a lot of "Broncos clones" from 09 undefeated right now.

Steelers, really? I know I'm a Steelers fan but what do you see that shows they won't make the playoffs? Their defense is probably the best in the game right now, you're nuts.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #321
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know nobody watches the Browns except me

6 mins left. Browns are down 4. Mangini elects to punt from the goalline instead of taking the safety(no brainer move IMO w/ score and time left). Ravens run time off clock and get FG to go up 7. Safety punt gives you 25 more yards at least IMO. Mangini is dumb tho. We knew this.

Mind you Hillis has been a Norse warrior all game. He fucking ripped a guys leg off and beat him with it.

Anyways the Browns get it back. Its 3rd and 2 on about the Browns 40. Of course Hiillis is a rabid dog, he's going run over Ray Lewis. You hand off behind your studly left side.

Hold up. YOU CALLED A FUCKING SIDELINE FADE TO JOSH CRIBBS. WHAT THE FUCK. Browns punt, never see the ball again.

I'm furious. My Browns fans friends just shrug and say they are used to it.

Anyways Browns lose.

Last edited by stevew : 09-28-2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: cleaned up some details.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #322
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Btw Hillis had good holes all day, but it is like he channeled all the Tea Party white male rage and hurt people who were trying to tackle him. It was amazing.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #323
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Bill Polian calls 18-game schedule a done deal | ProFootballTalk.com

This talk of an 18 game schedule really has me bummed as a fan of the NFL (I'd rather them go the other way to a 14 game schedule). There comes a point where you over-saturate the market and your product is no longer special. I believe this push by the owners towards the 18 game schedule is nothing more than a way for owners who have over-extended themselves to receive a cash infusion.

So we're not only expanding the number of games in the season but we're also expanding the number of games televised per week. I bet we'll see an 18 game Thursday slate when all is said and done.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #324
molson
General Manager

There's also a good chance the NFL is just using this as a bargaining chip. If they can convince everyone that 18 games is a "done deal", then can request the players give something up in upcoming CBS negotiations to get the schedule "back" to 16.

The other thing that would suck about 18 games increased rosters, and even more specialization.

Last edited by molson : 09-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #325
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am not a fan of the 18 game schedule but I would love a weekly Thursday game. If football was on 7 days a week I would be happy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #326
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So if your Carolina how much would it take for you to trade Steve Smith?

And if you're Minny, how much would you give up?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #327
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

This talk of an 18 game schedule really has me bummed as a fan of the NFL (I'd rather them go the other way to a 14 game schedule). There comes a point where you over-saturate the market and your product is no longer special. I believe this push by the owners towards the 18 game schedule is nothing more than a way for owners who have over-extended themselves to receive a cash infusion.

So we're not only expanding the number of games in the season but we're also expanding the number of games televised per week. I bet we'll see an 18 game Thursday slate when all is said and done.

yep!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #328
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
i agree. most everyone i talk to agrees. my hope is that they're saying 18 in hopes of settling for 17. either way, with all the concussion stuff and rules protecting qb's the product is certainly going to suffer. you can't protect players while increasing their workload.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #329
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm with McSweeny. Bring on more football!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #330
remper
Mascot

I know I said I'd be on the Bears bandwagon if they beat the Packers... so I guess I have to be.

The one thing I will say about Lovie's precious defensive scheme is that even when it looks like they're getting killed statistically they prolong the opponents drive and make them dink and dunk it down the field. Mistakes are going to happen for the offense and then the Bears capitalize. It worked last night.

This is looking eerily like the 2006 season for the Bears.
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #331
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
The one thing I will say about Lovie's precious defensive scheme is that even when it looks like they're getting killed statistically they prolong the opponents drive and make them dink and dunk it down the field.

I have to say that after all this time watching football, last night was the first time I've heard announcers say it was a good strategy to allow 8 minute long drives.

"You know, as a defense we like those 14 play offensive drives because it puts them right where we want them"
Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #332
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'd like for the Packers to trade for Lynch however, probably better chance of getting a nun to do anal rather than get a draft pick out of Thompson.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #333
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Steelers, really? I know I'm a Steelers fan but what do you see that shows they won't make the playoffs? Their defense is probably the best in the game right now, you're nuts.

+1

In three games, the Steelers have allowed two TDs (both in garbage time - in the Tampa game they were sitting starters most of the second half) and forced 10 turnovers. Mendenhall is averaging 110 yds/game with teams putting eight or nine guys in the box to stop him. Are we working the theory that the team is going to nosedive once their franchise QB returns from suspension and takes the reins of a 3-1 or 4-0 team?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #334
molson
General Manager

I wonder how the schedule would work with 18 teams. Everything's kind of perfectly balanced now.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #335
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I wonder how the schedule would work with 18 teams. Everything's kind of perfectly balanced now.

Six division games
Four games against another division in conference.
Eight games against two out of conference divisions.

So ten conference games and eight out of conference games.

Would be one way to go.

Last edited by BillJasper : 09-28-2010 at 02:34 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #336
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by remper View Post
I know I said I'd be on the Bears bandwagon if they beat the Packers... so I guess I have to be.

The one thing I will say about Lovie's precious defensive scheme is that even when it looks like they're getting killed statistically they prolong the opponents drive and make them dink and dunk it down the field. Mistakes are going to happen for the offense and then the Bears capitalize. It worked last night.

This is looking eerily like the 2006 season for the Bears.

Acutally, it's reminding me more of the 2001 season, where they went 13-3, with it looking like the wheels would fall off and they'd implode at any second. Yet somehow, they kept winning. Only difference this year is the fact they have an offense.

And then got exposed in the playoffs and obliterated.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-28-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #337
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Just caught the Monday night game now. Is McCarthy always this bad a coach?

18 penalties... kicking it to Hester... stupid challenge... not letting them score towards the end... that stupid show of lateral'ing at the end...

Really makes me feel for 'em. I like Rodgers a lot, but he's in a losing cause if that's always the way the coaching goes.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #338
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post

18 penalties... kicking it to Hester... stupid challenge... not letting them score towards the end... that stupid show of lateral'ing at the end...

Really makes me feel for 'em. I like Rodgers a lot, but he's in a losing cause if that's always the way the coaching goes.

McCarthy is a good coach in general, but he makes some boneheaded decisions with challenges and time management. I mean, I can really only comment on Holmgrem, Rhodes, Sherman, and Mccarthy, but McCarthy is the worst time management coach I have seen on a regular basis. Throws away challenges, lets the clock run 20 seconds before calling a timeout, doesn't let the other team, score... he just seems oblivious to using the time to one's advantage.

he is a good coach in a lot of other aspects. As they said last night, 36 players on the Packers roster are homegrown players. You don't get that high quality of a team of homegrown talent without good coaching. They've set up a good spread offense to really play to Rodgers' talents.

Penalties have never been THIS bad of a problem.

But yes. Clock management. Gah.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #339
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post

... kicking it to Hester...

I don't know about this one. Before last night, Hester hadn't returned a punt for a TD in two years. He had "lost the magic". This seems to happen to return guys. They seem to fizzle out quite quickly. I remember Eddie Drummond for the Lions. One year, he was one of the best returners in the game and then.... poop. Same with the Human Joystick guy. He flamed out pretty quickly, too, if I recall.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #340
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

PING coffee warlord

What was the outcome of the 'Steelers at least 3-1 start' bet with the boss?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #341
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
PING coffee warlord

What was the outcome of the 'Steelers at least 3-1 start' bet with the boss?

Pain.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #342
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
+1

In three games, the Steelers have allowed two TDs (both in garbage time - in the Tampa game they were sitting starters most of the second half) and forced 10 turnovers. Mendenhall is averaging 110 yds/game with teams putting eight or nine guys in the box to stop him. Are we working the theory that the team is going to nosedive once their franchise QB returns from suspension and takes the reins of a 3-1 or 4-0 team?

I think the Steelers are the SB favourites at this (very) early point.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #343
remper
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Acutally, it's reminding me more of the 2001 season, where they went 13-3, with it looking like the wheels would fall off and they'd implode at any second. Yet somehow, they kept winning. Only difference this year is the fact they have an offense.

And then got exposed in the playoffs and obliterated.

You've got me with that one. I was trying to remembr which regular season it was where it seemed like the Bears were stealing wins constantly. So yeah, more like that season...
remper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #344
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So if your Carolina how much would it take for you to trade Steve Smith?

And if you're Minny, how much would you give up?

Carolina should really have no trouble trading Steve Smith at this point. They have no other competent receiver on the team, so he's going to be double and triple teamed and the whole world knows it. They haven't a competent receiver next to him probably since Muhsin Muhammad's first stint with the team. Plus Steve Smith's better days are more than likely behind him at age 31. The Panthers aren't going anywhere unless Claussen has a surprising blossoming.

Trade him for a 2nd rounder pick probably and build for the future when hopefully a new coach (and scouting and receivers coach) is in place. He could run into the same problem though if he went to Minnesota given the injury to Rice and Percy Harvin's sad battle with migraines.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:51 AM   #345
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Apparently Bill Polian misspoke. The 18-game schedule isn't 'fait accompli' like he said before. What he meant was that the Colts are preparing as if it were going to be a done deal.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote