Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

My turn at a job thread...

This will be a long rambling message most likely...and sent from my phone, so I apologize in advance.

In June I was let go from my old job...11+ years there. Long story I don't want to rehash. I was ( in my eyes) the scapegoat for an issue. Honestly didn't think it would result in being let go, but...

So I was off the majority of the summer, hang out with the kids, etc. Fast forward, I accept a position as a "staff accountant" working in a totally different industry- from financial svcs to education. Small place, nearly no commute, 15 mind tops. Paying just below what I was making before, plus no commute into town etc.

The job is...meh. I will say partly that is because it is still new, 2+ weeks in. But in general it's just not a good fit for me. Of the staff in my depth about 70% are part time, including my boss. They are all nice people, but...meh.

Today, get a call on my way in, a recruiter pulled my resume off monster. Different industry again, but back to corporate environment, which thought learning maybe isn't as bad as I thought.

So had phone interview during lunch break and I think went really well. My gut says I get a call for a face to face.

So, lots of questions FOFC

Do I stick it out here? Jump ASAP if offered? What's the etiquette on quitting so early into a new job for another?

I know the collective wisdom of FOFC will not fail me

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

You have a little leverage so if you get the face-to-face, really go into the interview with an eye for evaluating them, and whether it's a good fit for you. If it is, by all means, jump ship. Your current employee certainly would have no problems getting rid of you if their cirumstances changed, or if you didn't work out for them.

Last edited by molson : 09-27-2010 at 04:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

For me happiness at a job is crucial...enjoying your job is what takes the I have to do it mentality away. Prime example...I have loved this job for almost 3 years...it has now gotten to me and turned into more of a, I regret going to the airport on Sunday for my weeks trip than anything else.

On top of that, you have to take care of you because an employer won't and I think you realize that.

If offered and it' what you want to do, then you jump. As for being at a new job and leaving, I wouldn't feel bad it's what that 90 day review window is usually for...they know if they don't want you then and you will know if you don't want them.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Do I stick it out here? Jump ASAP if offered? What's the etiquette on quitting so early into a new job for another?

I know the collective wisdom of FOFC will not fail me

If it isn't a fit, it isn't a fit.

I'm not in HR, but I would think it would be preferable to leave in a month rather than say, 6 months because all that research and effort they put into hiring someone won't need to be replicated right away and they haven't sunk a whole bunch of time into training and getting you up to speed.

Just my 2 cents.. I could be way off.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Desnudo
Coordinator

Go. You need to do what's best for yourself.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

It's sort of odd...I was so pissed when let go, so I understand company's will show no loyalty if it's not in their favor. At the same time I feel awkward since the current job took a chance on me when I needed someone to give me a chance.

I feel a little better that when I explained to the potential job I had only recently accepted the current position, they still thought enough of my resume they wanted to continue the interview. And honestly, that was the best I've ever felt after a phone interview...like ever answer I gave was exactly what they were hoping for
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck buddy. I hope whatever it is works out for the best for you and your family...

PS - Crosby Sucks
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
On top of that, you have to take care of you because an employer won't and I think you realize that.

Mrs Tyke & I were just discussing this the other night. Companies have really moved away from the concept that "their people are their most valuable asset". Some companies may still say that, and far fewer actually believe it (based on their actions). At the end of the day, YOU have to be happy in what you are doing, and you have to do what is best for you & your family. If your current situation isn't working for you, then by all means keep your options open for this new opportunity.

Good luck either way...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Good luck buddy. I hope whatever it is works out for the best for you and your family...

PS - Crosby Sucks
Funny you should mention it...working for a charter school we've got kids from across the state...waiting to see some mention of the Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post

Mrs Tyke & I were just discussing this the other night. Companies have really moved away from the concept that "their people are their most valuable asset". Some companies may still say that, and far fewer actually believe it (based on their actions). At the end of the day, YOU have to be happy in what you are doing, and you have to do what is best for you & your family. If your current situation isn't working for you, then by all means keep your options open for this new opportunity.

Good luck either way...

I hear you there...see original story above on the concept of loyalty.

Weird part is when hired here I met a ton of the upper level mgmt, educators, staff etc...including the founder, and he talked about loyalty. But like you said, everyone talks it, fewer walk it.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I worked with a guy at a place who joined us after a bunch of years at a place. He left there and worked at a place in the city for like two months, massive commute and all that. Money was good, but little else was. My boss snapped him up immediately, because it was great for us.

These things happen and as others have said, you're a commodity to the places you work until they decide to make you expendable, so you have to do you if the opportunity arises, but don't make it obvious you're looking to get out until the ink dries elsewhere.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I always hated the bank you worked for cause they sponsored a rival little league team. So fuck you watermelon bank.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I always hated the bank you worked for cause they sponsored a rival little league team. So fuck you watermelon bank.

+1

Actually, +11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 09-28-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

Schools are used to turnover. It happens every year. I dont think you will be breaking their heart if you go in and tell them your circumstance. In fact, I imagine they would appreciate it.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Schools are used to turnover. It happens every year. I dont think you will be breaking their heart if you go in and tell them your circumstance. In fact, I imagine they would appreciate it.

I am learning this firsthand over the past few days.

Monday I noticed one of the few other full-time people left pretty early for her, after about 5 1/2 hours. Out Tuesday. Yesterday I ask someone else if everything is OK with her. She quit.

Overhear another discussion about a teacher submitting his 2 week notice. Following day, he's told that would be his last day.