Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

Rosetta Stone

It's time for another thread on this, right?

One of my resolutions for New Year's is to learn some foreign languages (over the course of several years, obviously). I figured I would start with German. I took German for a few years in high school, I still remember a few phrases (Guten Tag, Auf Wiedersahen, Danke, Auchtung) as well as some grammer and spelling points, but for the most part, the language is lost for me. However, since I still know the very basics, it should be an easier language for me to pick up and will give me an idea of how much effort will go into self-learning a language.

I know we have had threads on this software, Rosetta Stone, in the past. I've read elsewhere about it and the reviews for the product are mixed in places.

It's also pretty pricey. I have also read about Pimsleur, but that's even more expensive. I was wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives to Rosetta. I am serious about learning new languages, and if the consensus is "Nothing else comes close to Rosetta or Pimsluer, choose one of those if you're serious." then fine, I will. I just want to make sure I consider my options.

Also, with Rosetta, is there any major differences between the software and the online versions? Does the software come with any materials that you don't get with the online subscription? Also, has anyone tried the demo CD? How far does it go into it, or is it the same as the online demo?

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Celeval
Pro Starter

I haven't tried the online demo. The Demo CD is decent - it has a few lessons for all of a slew of languages. From talking to people who have used the full thing, it's pretty representative.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I got the German for christmas, as a matter of fact.

Haven't gotten very far into it, but it seems to me that it's pretty useful.

...Though I'm wondering if the Germans have some sort of weird fetish for Horses and Airplanes.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-30-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I haven't tried it but some people I know gave it very high marks. It's definitely expensive though.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have the Spanish version and I have been working with it since about Christmas Eve, I am liking it alot.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
...Though I'm wondering if the Germans have some sort of weird fetish for Horses and Airplanes.

It's not just Germans, but latin american spanish speaking people too.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Has anyone tried or heard about the "Tell Me More" series?

http://www.auralog.com/
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
AgustusM
College Prospect

I have the on-line subscription to the Italian version and I am enjoying it - easiest way I have ever tried learning a new language.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bumping-
I'm going to have to take 8 semester hours of a foreign language, which is something like 2500 dollars. Rosetta stone is about 550 dollars. Has anyone used this program in order to challenge the foreign language competency requirement test at a college? If I can pass the test, I don't have to spend all that time in class.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote