Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Travis
Pro Rookie

Tiger Woods PGA Tour Online

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (did a search and didn't see it), but is anybody playing this? I know Tiger's name isn't doing so well these days, but it's pretty much an open beta and seems pretty solid from the ~25 rounds I've played so far. For those wondering it's a free (for now) online beta version of the Tiger Woods golf game by EA.

There is some ridiculous scoring going on with the tournaments and the like (not sure if this is due to your created golfer getting too good once his skills are maxed out or if there are exploits within the game itself), but a couple of buddies and I have been playing and having fun.

If anybody is playing, there is a fan/sponsor system that helps you make money/earn XP. My nick on there is Nikle19 and if you're interested in joining up with a group, we got a small one (3 members currently) called the Sultans of Swing (there's no invite system currently, if you want to join a group you either make your own or ask to join an existing one).

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

There is some ridiculous scoring going on

I wouldn't expect anything less.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Schmidty
Coordinator

Is it PC or some console?

Do consoles even do open betas?

Last edited by Schmidty : 01-29-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Is it PC or some console?

Do consoles even do open betas?

Just straight up online/browser:

Home - Tiger Woods PGA TOURŪ Online

The only software you need is the unity player they use for the game to play. I haven't had any issues since installing it (done so on 3 machines so far as I've played this at home, work and the gf's place).
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Schmidty
Coordinator

Ok, I sent in my request for your group.

I don't really understand the sponsership thing though.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Travis
Pro Rookie

Saw that and you should be a part of the group now.

Basically there is a cut system in place. Every day, if you shoot below your cut line (not sure how that number is determined), you earn your sponsors money. Depending on your level you can sponsor a certain number of golfers (I can currently sponsor up to 3 golfers, a 4th slot opens up at level 20). If you click on the "The Cut" tab, it'll show your status for the day as well as what you can possibly earn if the golfers you sponsor make their cut for the day (the more days in a row you make the cut, the more you'll earn bonus XP wise for yourself, and money wise for other golfers who sponsor you). You can also view your potential cut/sponsor info if you go to the My Golfer tab, then select the Favorites tab.

One up from that is the Fans tab. If you have fans, you earn extra XP per day (I made myself a fan of your golfer). The XP gains at least with only a few fans isn't huge, but it's obviously not going to hurt your guy either, so kind of a why not situation. It looks like your XP bonus works for both how many fans and sponsors you have so it can be a bit of a double dip situation as well.

Last edited by Travis : 01-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

anybody still playing this? Tried finding the group, and Travis's nick fwiw, and came up empty.

Just remembered to check it out this week after picking up TW08 for cheap on EA.com and I've been having fun playing it since last weekend. Yeah, crazy scores on most tournaments, i.e. -20 for single rounds, four round tourneys won at -82 or something like that, but I don't care much, I play to do see if I can get better from one round to another, heh...

nick in game is qcfrogman, add me as friend if you are playing.

FM
Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Travis
Pro Rookie

I don't play a lot these days but my account is still active. Not sure why it wouldn't have been showing me (nikle19) in there but I just logged in and had to agree to some new terms so maybe anybody who hadn't accepted that agreement yet was temporarily deactivated?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I don't play a lot these days but my account is still active. Not sure why it wouldn't have been showing me (nikle19) in there but I just logged in and had to agree to some new terms so maybe anybody who hadn't accepted that agreement yet was temporarily deactivated?

okay, cool, I'll look for you when I log on tonight. Not sure if that's always been the case, but you get 2 points for logging in on every day, then 5 points when you complete your first round of the day. I kinda got the impression that this was new or something...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 09-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote