Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Football Manager Handheld (iPhone) - Update 3 Available now

Hi,

Update 3 for FMH on the iPhone/iPod Touch is now available from the iTunes store. If you already own FMHi 2010 then this is a FREE download which will automatically update and improve your gameplay experience (and is fully save game compatible). If you are purchasing FMHi 2010 for the first time then your purchase will automatically include this update.

Whats in the update? ..

- New team formation/selection/substitution screen available on the squad and tactics pages before and during games (with improvements to drag & drop);

- New attribute filter option for player searches;

...as well as a healthy does of minor improvements and bug-fixes to issues brought up on these here forums, the most of notable of them being;

- Ensure South American nations qualify correctly for future World Cups
- Added clear shortlist button
- Made values on transfer budget and budget adjustment pages match
- Prevent wage budget adjustments from taking the club below their present wage total
- Ensure that wage budgets are displayed more accurately on Club Info page
- Tweaked Scottish wages (inc. sugar daddy)
- Tweaked Portuguese wages (inc. sugar daddy)

Hope this helps,

Marc

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-23-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

iPhone shmeyephone...

where's the Droid version?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
iPhone shmeyephone...

Concur!!
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
iPhone shmeyephone...

Nothing announced at this time sorry, maybe one day - but for now I'm concentrating on ensuring the iPhone game is as good as possible ....
Old 06-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS - If you have the game and haven't rated/reviewed it on the iTunes store please do so, it'd be a big help not just for me but for potential purchasers in the future.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
iPhone shmeyephone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
Concur!!

Concur as well. Android is taking off, so I'm hoping we'll see it one day.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
samifan24
Pro Starter

Very nice work on the update, Marc. One thing I still can't do from the in-game tactics screen is substitute a player by tapping on a player on the pitch side of the screen first. The drag and drop is ok and I can tap to substitute if I tap the sub first so why not have it work the same work by tapping the player on the pitch first, too? It's minor, I know, but just a bit easier. Great work on the game. It's such a high quality product that these are the kinds of little things I find to nag you about!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Very nice work on the update, Marc. One thing I still can't do from the in-game tactics screen is substitute a player by tapping on a player on the pitch side of the screen first. The drag and drop is ok and I can tap to substitute if I tap the sub first so why not have it work the same work by tapping the player on the pitch first, too? It's minor, I know, but just a bit easier. Great work on the game. It's such a high quality product that these are the kinds of little things I find to nag you about!

Ok thats a fair enough suggestion and I'll look into implementing that for the next version (update 3 is the final update for this version of the game I'm afraid, I need to make a start on FMH2011 now really).
Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Ok thats a fair enough suggestion and I'll look into implementing that for the next version (update 3 is the final update for this version of the game I'm afraid, I need to make a start on FMH2011 now really).

Thanks for listening to what the fans have to say! We appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Easy Mac

Any chance porting to the palm pre? Its supposed to be ridiculously simple for games when going from iphone to palm.

The Palm webOS Plug-in Development Kit - Palm Developer Center

Note, I already bought it for the ipod, but just saying.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 06-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Any chance porting to the palm pre? Its supposed to be ridiculously simple for games when going from iphone to palm.

The Palm webOS Plug-in Development Kit - Palm Developer Center

Note, I already bought it for the ipod, but just saying.

One of the reasons why the iPhone was the initial target market was simply that its a more 'fixed' target than most phone platforms - you KNOW that the devices can cope with it and have a resolution of 'x' and a minimum memory of 'y'.

The problem with other OS's/Platforms is that they have a huge amount of device fragmentation which makes ensuring compatibility a lot harder to implement.

That isn't to say we'll won't release the game on other platforms - just want to explain why it might not be quite as simple to do so as you might think ...
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't know what exactly changed, but this is a huge improvement. I bought the game at launch and gave up after an hour or so because of several minor annoyances, but picked it back up again with update 3 and I'm just as hooked as with the desktop versions now. Really nice job on the updates.

However, today I got an email saying another team made an offer for my best player and it was accepted. It didn't say the board intervened because it felt it was too good to pass up or anything like that. On the desktop version I know you can set it to auto-accept offers but I couldn't find anywhere in the iphone version to configure/disable that setting. Where should I look?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

I got an offer for another player and it gave me the chance to respond, but then a few months later I again had an auto-accepted offer... so in the span of about three months my two best DCs were sold without my consent. Combined with the auto-save and not being able to undo it, I guess I'm done with this version of the game...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

MV - Question from the iPod Touch thread, can you play (iPod) music while playing FM on any version of the iPod/iPhone? I know on my 8 gig one (running iOS4) cannot, wasn't sure if devices that could do the true multitasking could...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
MV - Question from the iPod Touch thread, can you play (iPod) music while playing FM on any version of the iPod/iPhone? I know on my 8 gig one (running iOS4) cannot, wasn't sure if devices that could do the true multitasking could...
/tk

You can listen to music while playing FMHi on any of the iPhone OS's.

To do so just ensure that sound is disabled in FMHi preferences firstly and start the iTunes music player off before the game starts. The music will continue once you start the game.

To control music in the app double click on the home button and you should find the music control pops up over the app allowing you to browse through music etc.

Hope this helps,

Marc
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #16
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I got an offer for another player and it gave me the chance to respond, but then a few months later I again had an auto-accepted offer... so in the span of about three months my two best DCs were sold without my consent. Combined with the auto-save and not being able to undo it, I guess I'm done with this version of the game...

I'll check into this - its not something I've heard of before - you aren't holidaying at all are you ? (if so then please ensure you turn off the options for your assistant to do transfers for you while you're on holiday).
Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I don't know what exactly changed, but this is a huge improvement. I bought the game at launch and gave up after an hour or so because of several minor annoyances, but picked it back up again with update 3 and I'm just as hooked as with the desktop versions now. Really nice job on the updates.
Thanks - glad you're enjoying the game.

If you look in Credits under 'views' you'll find a 'changelist' of all the various tweaks etc. which have been done for each iteration of the game incidentally if you're interested.

(and as always I'm listening if you have suggestions for future changes)
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
Easy Mac

Was the inclusion of particular leagues dependent on licensing?

Also, I've noticed the commentary and 2D action don't always line up. One example is that my player scored an own goal, but the 2D showed him kicking an 80 yard ball past the opposing keeper. I've gone to just pure commentary, as the 2D dots rarely make sense in their movement (another example, I had a player with an open goal who decided to pass it back 30 yards, before they sent a long ball to the box for offside).

That being said, I'm really enjoying it. I just completed my first season with Chester City (who it seems no longer exists in real life). We started with -25 points and I was expected to do everything I could to stay up. We ended up 17th, but if it wasn't for the deficit, we would have tied for 7th.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #19
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If the iPhone comes to Verizon next year, this will be just another reason for me to get one. God...
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

Is there a trailer of video review of this app I can watch before buying? Searched youtube and didn't see anything but the PSP version.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-01-2010 at 10:12 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Is there a trailer of video review of this app I can watch before buying? Searched youtube and didn't see anything but the PSP version.

There are a couple up on youtube but tbh I'd say you're better off just downloading the free lite version, playing that for a bit and deciding from that.

One video I found with a quick google:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8EBVgMJ178

(and no we didn't do one ourselves so there isn't an 'official' video of the game)

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-01-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Was the inclusion of particular leagues dependent on licensing?
Yeah unfortunately there are always licencing restrictions in what can be done - thats always going to be the case these days.

Quote:
Also, I've noticed the commentary and 2D action don't always line up. One example is that my player scored an own goal, but the 2D showed him kicking an 80 yard ball past the opposing keeper. I've gone to just pure commentary, as the 2D dots rarely make sense in their movement (another example, I had a player with an open goal who decided to pass it back 30 yards, before they sent a long ball to the box for offside).
I've tracked down the vast majority of mis-syncs (where the data sent to the 2d gets out of whack with the match) - but its going to be an ongoing war I'm sure, in the main its pretty sane now imho.

If you'd be kind enough to explain (text is fine) any you see and I'll try and analyse the code and reproduce them inhouse ...

Quote:
That being said, I'm really enjoying it. I just completed my first season with Chester City (who it seems no longer exists in real life). We started with -25 points and I was expected to do everything I could to stay up. We ended up 17th, but if it wasn't for the deficit, we would have tied for 7th.
Cool - glad you're enjoying it
Old 07-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #23
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
There are a couple up on youtube but tbh I'd say you're better off just downloading the free lite version, playing that for a bit and deciding from that.

One video I found with a quick google:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8EBVgMJ178

(and no we didn't do one ourselves so there isn't an 'official' video of the game)

Awesome missed that this existed, thank you.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #24
SegRat
High School Varsity

Marc if you do another update for can you make it so that the screen will flip to either side? The reason I ask is that with my new case for the iPad I have to take the iPad out of the case to play. If the game would flip the other way I could leave the iPad in the case.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
Marc if you do another update for can you make it so that the screen will flip to either side? The reason I ask is that with my new case for the iPad I have to take the iPad out of the case to play. If the game would flip the other way I could leave the iPad in the case.

No more updates for the FMHi 2010 game I'm afraid but I'll look into that for FMHi 2011 ...