Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

ping: Tampa area residents

If you live in Tampa or St. Pete, please let me know. I'm going on a househunting trip in early August and very much appeciate your opinion on the area's suburbs, high schools, and traffic issues. Post here or PM me if you can help me out. I've never lived in Tampa and know very little except for what Google is telling me. Moving back to the States after a 4-year tour in Germany. Thx.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-31-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Flasch186
Coordinator

Do you want me to find a good Realtor for you? Theyre free for your side of the table {shrug}

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
If you live in Tampa or St. Pete, please let me know. I'm going on a househunting trip in early August and very much appeciate your opinion on the area's suburbs, high schools, and traffic issues. Post here or PM me if you can help me out. I've never lived in Tampa and know very little except for what Google is telling me. Moving back to the States after a 4-year tour in Germany. Thx.

Don't stay anywhere close to MacDill!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

I've got a realtor through USAA...I think. As for MacDill, that's where I will work, I'm expecting a 30-45 minute commute. The area around MacDill was looking pretty old actually, I don't have the funds to maintain an old house. So I'm looking for something a bit newer. So suburbia is more my style.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I've got a realtor through USAA...I think. As for MacDill, that's where I will work, I'm expecting a 30-45 minute commute. The area around MacDill was looking pretty old actually, I don't have the funds to maintain an old house. So I'm looking for something a bit newer. So suburbia is more my style.

dude you should work your realtor for info....

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yeah, I'm just looking for some sort of perspective from other folks that live in Tampa.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

I live in Tampa.. in the Citrus Park area (for about 4 1/2 years). Feel free to PM me any questions you may have.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Do you want me to find a good Realtor for you? Theyre free for your side of the table {shrug}

I didn't think a round table had sides...?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Flasch186
Coordinator

LOL

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

If Dutch doesn't mind a slight hijack (hopefully he can use it once he gets settled)...I'm staying in Clearwater Beach for work this week. Any must hit restaurants?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

No sweat. Look forward to any and all responses on this as well.

The Floridian Restaurant of Treasure Island Florida Authentic Cuban Sandwiches looks pretty good and it's in your neck of the woods.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

I don't know how traffic is coming into Tampa or St. Pete, but, I have a large amount of family that live in Plant City which isn't too far from Tampa. I've been going there all my life and it's not a bad little town at all in my opinion. Not sure how much of a drive you want to put up with though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If Dutch doesn't mind a slight hijack (hopefully he can use it once he gets settled)...I'm staying in Clearwater Beach for work this week. Any must hit restaurants?

Its not fine dining, but Frenchy's Rockaway Grill is great.. and is right on the beach.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Joe
Pro Starter

I already sent this to Dutch, but I'm posting it here because it made me giggle. Apparently you want to stay away from Gibsonton. As a coworker of mine says that's where all of the carnies live in the winter:

"It can get real freaky there sometimes….a giant lives there he is like 7’5 or something like that. A guy that drives nails into his nose, a family of “lobster’s” , the bearded lady is the police chief…fat ladies galore and there are a bunch of midgets! Very interesting….some of them perform at a local café there occasionally.

My husband belongs to the VFW in Gibsonton….real scary to begin with because of the area, but he makes us go with him on Christmas for the “breakfast/ Santa Visit” and they have some of the Carnies there performing sometimes!!! A real hoot…."
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That actually sounds kinda fun!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Sounds like they'd be right at home if they hung out in Ybor City.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

I find a near perfect house listed at $199K. I check the last purchase price. Just 7 months ago, it sold for $183K. I put in an offer for $185K and 1/2 closing costs. The price of homes haven't done anything in 7 months but drop right? Well, that much is true. But the seller's agent says the owner can't go below $197.5K and I would have to pay all closing costs. Anything lower would put the owner into a short sale situation. I had to say no thanks and walk away. Grrr....so I'm still looking.

Last edited by Dutch : 08-13-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I find a near perfect house listed at $199K. I check the last purchase price. Just 7 months ago, it sold for $183K. I put in an offer for $185K and 1/2 closing costs. The price of homes haven't done anything in 7 months but drop right? Well, that much is true. But the seller's agent says the owner can't go below $197.5K and I would have to pay all closing costs. Anything lower would put the owner into a short sale situation. I had to say no thanks and walk away. Grrr....so I'm still looking.

What areas are you looking in Dutch? Have you narrowed them down? Or just looking for a particular type of house?

I didn't see this thread 1st time around but lived in Wesley Chapel (New Tampa area) & Riverview areas for about 3 years. I'm not as familiar with the Channelside areas & St. Pete but in the areas I lived in you can get quite a lot of home for $190k but a lot of that depends on whether you have the time/patience to sift through the weeds (sometimes literally!).

Shoot me a PM if you want some feedback or I'll be happy to post some thoughts (or what I know/have observed anyway) on a given area.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #19
SteveMax58
College Starter

Dola,

Also...this may not be the case in the home you were looking at...but there are still a lot of investors trying to flip foreclosures/short sales and make a buck. So even if it was sold for $183k a few months ago it very well could have been a beautiful house that needed a LOT of work & now the investor is trying to get a few bucks. Not necessarily a bad/good thing, just that it could be a bit misleading (which you may already know).

And when I say investor...that isnt necessarily a very wealthy person/company (in FL anyway). It very well could be a pool contractor who finds a deal through a realtor friend, buys it...adds a pool at cost, adds some new flooring, cleans it up, etc...then throws it back on the market for $25k more(or whatever the market will bear).
Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #20
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I already sent this to Dutch, but I'm posting it here because it made me giggle. Apparently you want to stay away from Gibsonton. As a coworker of mine says that's where all of the carnies live in the winter:

Yeah, that used to be a good portion of Gibsonton but that area has grown quite a bit since those days. It's still where a lot of the carnies reside but likely not where most people moving to the area would end up. Still...wouldn't be my 1st choice to live since there really is nothing there of interest.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

Steve,

I just got back Thursday from a 10-day whirlwind driving tour of the Tampa area. I was looking at everything from Riverview, the Bloomington area, Brandon, Valrico, up north to New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, and on over to Land O Lakes, Odessa, and Lutz. Before I left, I peaked at Citrus Park (reference by Joe) and then quickly at South Tampa.

I have set my sights on the Odessa, Lutz, Land O Lakes area or something down in Riverview/Bloomington area.

A big factors that link these areas together are quality high schools, closeness to expressways (either the Suncoast or the Leroy Selmon) and the affordability of housing.

What is your opinion of traffic on the I-275 and the I-75 when commuting to New Tampa? I'd prefer a 30-45 minute commute....but I can push it out further if it's the right fit.

IRT the house I put an offer on....it *might* have been upgraded in that it may have been in a horrible/foreclosed state previous to me moving in...the first owner had plunked down $350K for it and perhaps ballon payments caught up with them...but no upgrades were added. I was going to have to add a backyard fence, patio, and lenai on my own dime already....nothing upgraded in the kitchen, nothing fancy about the floors either.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #22
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Yeah, that used to be a good portion of Gibsonton but that area has grown quite a bit since those days. It's still where a lot of the carnies reside but likely not where most people moving to the area would end up. Still...wouldn't be my 1st choice to live since there really is nothing there of interest.

I've seen some GREAT homes in the Gibsonton/South Riverview area but the high school (East Bay HS) has possibly the worst reputation in Hillsborough county. That's a pretty major concern for me with two boys that are going into high school there.

Last edited by Dutch : 08-14-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #23
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Steve,

I just got back Thursday from a 10-day whirlwind driving tour of the Tampa area. I was looking at everything from Riverview, the Bloomington area, Brandon, Valrico, up north to New Tampa, Wesley Chapel, and on over to Land O Lakes, Odessa, and Lutz. Before I left, I peaked at Citrus Park (reference by Joe) and then quickly at South Tampa.

I have set my sights on the Odessa, Lutz, Land O Lakes area or something down in Riverview/Bloomington area.

A big factors that link these areas together are quality high schools, closeness to expressways (either the Suncoast or the Leroy Selmon) and the affordability of housing.

What is your opinion of traffic on the I-275 and the I-75 when commuting to New Tampa? I'd prefer a 30-45 minute commute....but I can push it out further if it's the right fit.

IRT the house I put an offer on....it *might* have been upgraded in that it may have been in a horrible/foreclosed state previous to me moving in...the first owner had plunked down $350K for it and perhaps ballon payments caught up with them...but no upgrades were added. I was going to have to add a backyard fence, patio, and lenai on my own dime already....nothing upgraded in the kitchen, nothing fancy about the floors either.

My mother lives in North Tampa just off Bearss. The drive down 275 to go to MacDill can be brutal at rush hour. I have always through the gate on Dale Mabry and that traffic can be a bear sometimes. Not to sure about the I-75.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-14-2010 at 10:08 AM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #24
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

I can't speak firsthand on the HS quality as my kids were too young for school and my oldest just started kindergarten last year. But my understanding from living in the area is that Plant HS (South Tampa) & Sickles HS (Citrus Park) are very good High Schools. Not certain if any particular sports are of importance for your sons...but these are generally regarded as 2 of the top HS for education (as FL education goes that is) and I believe Plant has a good football program (2nd hand info). Riverview HS & Bloomingdale HS are well regarded as FL schools go as well.

Some may also suggest Fishawk as well. It's a higher end community with a lot of self-contained ammenities & schools as well. I've heard there are also some hefty HOA/CDD fees as well.

Quote:
I assume you'll be commuting to Macdill in the morning & back to [chosen location] in the afternoons? This is a very important detail (i.e. do you expect you will be a 8am to 5pm guy...or will you work second shift type hours, or overnight, etc.).

Traffic (as of 1.5 years ago) is flat out bad in Tampa. While driving around there I honestly questioned how the entire area could be so poorly planned. There are a lot of people in the area...but they ALL seem to be headed the same way M-F. Weekend traffic is better...but it is "heavy but moving fast" type of better.

Commuting (from Wesley Chapel/New Tampa) on I-75 south to I-4 was pretty bad from 7-8am...and back home at 5-6:30pm (assuming no accidents...then it is worse) heading north. Of course...some of that was being corrected in the last 2 years by widening the Bruce B Downs overpass but can't speak to the effectiveness these days. I didnt regularly take I-275 but when I did...it was marginally better (depending on where I was headed). Veterans Expwy (which is what Suncoast becomes) is decent until you get to "Spaghetti Junction"...which is what the entire 275, 75, I-4 mess is (un)affectionately called. They have been working on widening that area for years but I'm unsure if its even correctable. Either way...Vets Expwy is solid until you hit the same mess you'd hit from the other directions as well.

Commuting on I-75 north to Crosstown Expwy (Selmon) isn't bad at all. I've only taken it once or twice but it was actually not too bad. I hear there are bad tieups on it when there is an accident but otherwise it is a decent commute to Channelside area (and I assume it thins out the closer you get to Macdill from Channelside on normal peak traffic times). Coming from Riverview/Bloomingdale...you'd take 301 to 75 and its not a bad commute at all(or even further south of Riverview) as 75 has about 3-4 lanes in each direction south of I-4. North of I-4 (as of 2 years ago) it was mostly 2 lanes in either direction with a 3rd sprinkled in occasionally for merging.

Coming from Brandon area (via SR 60) is pretty bad in the mornings. Lots of stores, lots of people, and everybody headed the same way. Not a good combo...but doable.

Quote:
This is probably going to be very typical of every house you look at. If you look at any house that sold in the 2005/06 time period...slash the price in half for a realistic starting point & maybe even further depending on amenities, community, etc.

Areas like Riverview, Bloomingdale, Brandon should yield VERY high bang for your buck. Citrus Park, South Tampa, and to a lesser extent New Tampa will tend to hold their value a bit better.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I've seen some GREAT homes in the Gibsonton/South Riverview area but the high school (East Bay HS) has possibly the worst reputation in Hillsborough county. That's a pretty major concern for me with two boys that are going into high school there.

Yeah...I would go a couple of mins north to Riverview before going with Gibsonton. Riverview HS is definitely regarded better than East Bay & you'll likely be able to get equally good deals on houses & also be closer to more things on 301. Checkout Boyette, Symmes, Big Bend Roads and Balm Riverview Rd (which intersects all 3) if you havent already. Lot sof home/$ & typically lower HOA fees than other areas. If those areas are less your style...I can give you some other areas to look at.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thanks for the info. All very helpful and useful and confirms a couple of thoughts of mine.

I'm finding a lot of new homes are still going up out the outskirts and are reasonably priced. It may prove easier to just buy new. But I'm still looking at all options. I am leaning towards Riverview for the commute but North Tampa for the schools.

Regardless of what I end up doing, it's a big decision because I'm likely going to be unable to sell my house for years. So hopefully the economy turns itself around soon so I can open up options for myself, especially once the teenagers are off to prison...er....I mean, college.

Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #27
SteveMax58
College Starter

Yep...that pretty much sums it up on the schools. I found Riverview a decent place to live but I'm not somebody that needs a lot of excitement. Just the basics and it does have that (or is close to it). Not high end but not bad either.

And that's a good point on buying right now. You are likely closer to bottom of the market (assuming all out anarchy doesnt break out ) but who knows when prices will begin to appreciate. Definitely should carefully weigh the pros & cons of buying plan on 5 years before breaking even (though there are financial advantages not as readily apparent such as writing off mortgage interest...which is significant).

I think any of the areas you've been looking at will be easy enough to ease into. Like most of FL, there are people from everywhere in many neighborhoods. But YMMV from community to community so if knowing your neighbors is important...might want to knock on a door or 2 to make sure they pass the neighbor test(whatever that may be).

I didnt really mention commute times as much but I would guess you are closer to 45 mins than 30 mins commute from most of those areas. Maybe slightly less from Riverview because of easy access to Crosstown.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #28
Dutch
"Dutch"

Well, due to the surge in "short sale" homes and those teetering on the edge of economic failure that can't negotiate (apparently), I went ahead and bought a brand new home in Riverview, Florida! 2,400 sq ft of goodness....but I'll need to build a fence so my dog doesn't run away.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Last edited by Dutch : 08-18-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator

Congrats! That's a lot of room you have there.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Congrats! That's a lot of room you have there.

Yes, housing prices are at 30-year low's (or something like that). I better like it because I won't be able to sell it for about 10 fucking years!

EDIT: Speaking of which...the housing economic recovery can start...............NOW!

Last edited by Dutch : 08-18-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #31
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, housing prices are at 30-year low's (or something like that). I better like it because I won't be able to sell it for about 10 fucking years!

EDIT: Speaking of which...the housing economic recovery can start...............NOW!

Haha! I'm sure there will be another bubble that will come along.

Oh and pix plz.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #32
SteveMax58
College Starter

Awesome!!! Congrats Dutch!! Welcome to the neighborhood!! (well...the old neighborhood for me)
Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #33
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Haha! I'm sure there will be another bubble that will come along.

I know this is more of a joke but it's really the truth. FL seems like it is always going through booms or busts. This latest will probably last longer than most but at some point the housing market will have another boom (though not like the last one).
Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thanks all. The house is still under construction but I'll drop a pick in here once I get back to Tampa and take one myself.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Here it is! The grass and the palm trees just went up a couple of days ago. I close in October, chillin' in a hotel for now (which SUX w/wife, 3 kids and a big ole lab)...can't wait to finally move in...get my FIOS and HDTV (which I wasn't getting for four years overseas). W00t!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #36
Flasch186
Coordinator

nice... Who is the builder?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #37
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Looking good, Dutch.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
nice... Who is the builder?

M/I Homes. Don't tell me they deal in Chineese Drywall still!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #39
Flasch186
Coordinator

Never heard of them.... that's probably a good thing

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL