Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Ping: plumbers or DIYers

So my water pressure reducing valve has crapped out, I’m getting 100psi of water pressure in the house right now. Great for showers, but not so great for the constantly running toilets.

It looks pretty straight forward, but I called a plumber this morning and he quoted me $600-$1000. The quote was a lot more than I was expecting, which has me worried that there is more to this. So has anyone replaced one of these themselves? What am I missing?

I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Well water?

I replaced the switch this summer, it was easy as crap. This appears to be different, but I don't see how it's going to be a 600 dollar job.

Water Pressure Reducing Valves - Water Conservation - Learn About - Watts

Maybe your house is older and the dude was assuming that he'd have to replace the valve, plus rework several pipings?

If it were me(and I'm cheap and delusional) I'd match up what I have at lowes, and try to replace it myself.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Well water?

I replaced the switch this summer, it was easy as crap. This appears to be different, but I don't see how it's going to be a 600 dollar job.

Water Pressure Reducing Valves - Water Conservation - Learn About - Watts

Maybe your house is older and the dude was assuming that he'd have to replace the valve, plus rework several pipings?

If it were me(and I'm cheap and delusional) I'd match up what I have at lowes, and try to replace it myself.

Not well water, the PRV is just fitted onto the main pipe coming in from the street about three feet short of the house.

I’m sure the phone quote was on the high side since he can’t know what is involved; he’s coming by this afternoon for a free quote. It looks like the part alone is going to be $100 or so. I’m pretty sure I’ll give it a go myself. Worst case scenario is I can’t get it done and I have to call him to come out and finish it. I don’t think I can screw anything up to badly (famous last words.)
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

Check with you're local water company, they may have a program to replace it either cheaper or with payments and you can be assured it gets done properly.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote