Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #51
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
FWIW, Audible claims that you can cancel anytime, and your downloaded books and remain in your account and accessible. Worth double checking, but I'm pretty sure that's true if you have a billing date approaching. I'm sitting on something like 20 credits, and probably will cancel (at least temporarily) before my next annual billing.

This is true. I've cycled through audible subscriptions and cancelled/jumped on new sign-ups deals for over 10 years now.

Last edited by molson : 08-12-2019 at 09:10 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #52
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I have touted this book on this site before, and it looks like it has gotten a new audio treatment this year:

Replay (Audiobook) by Ken Grimwood | Audible.com

Replay is my favorite of the time-travel genre, I really thought it got at the sort of things that interest me a lot about the whole concept. I recommend it, and will likely get the audible version for a re-read.

great book. did the audiobook a few years ago, and thought it was done fine then, but cool to see it get some more love.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #53
albionmoonlight
Coordinator

Based on this thread, I got Replay (the non-audiobook version). I agree that it is really good.

I, like the protagonist, am 43 years old and went to Emory undergrad. So before October, I'm gonna make sure to memorize the Derby winners from 1994 onward.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #54
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bump?

So, last year I figured I would start reading so I began to make visits to the library and the local bookstore. When the library took most of its operations online I decided to try some of its digital offerings. I'm no longer driving much of anywhere (outside of college shuttling) but there are times when my mind just doesn't have enough juice to read text but still might like to follow along to a story. That and I noticed that there were a lot more ebook/Audio offerings than actual physical books in our library's system.

It probably isn't as fancy as Audible, but so far I've accessed titles from Hoopla and Overdrive. My wife does...something through Amazon but I've not looked into it yet.

Trying to get a good handle of what kind of titles are right for me for audio vs print. My issue is that I'm easily distracted, so anything with much of a plot I have to go back and re-listen to the last 10-15 minutes if I see something on the news or latch onto an article or start reading forum posts.

I started out with a couple of light mysteries from Dorothy L. Sayers (Lord Peter Whimsey). Found that while they are ok, there is a lot of dialogue which can be tricky to follow, especially if there is only one speaker. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie had some of this, but not quite as much and seemed to work a little bit better.

I gave the unabridged Gulliver's Travels a go. Better in that it really doesn't have any dialogue, but still tricky in that you have to pay attention. I ended up reading along while listening (yay public domain). Seems a little silly but I rather enjoyed it.

Next was Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. This worked really well, I thought -- almost along the lines of a low-key comedy album (a bit more poignant). I am thinking memoir-type works may be well-suited to the audio format. Probably going to try this with the new Alex Trebek book (read by Alex and K. Jennings).

Lincoln in the Bardo. Essentially an audio play, and a pretty entertaining one (Bill Hader and Megan Mullally especially; Sedaris had a big role in this, too). I don't know how many audio books have a voice cast of 150+ though.
IHOF - Frederick Red Menace

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-18-2020 at 01:36 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote