Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2016, 05:57 AM   #1
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
The Trump Presidency – 2016

What a crazy election, one for the books. Here are my hopes & predictions for his presidency

Hopes:

(1) Don’t start a nuclear war
(2) Secure the borders and reform immigration (somehow)
(3) Greatly reduce ISIL, resolve the Syrian war
(4) Strengthen our relationships with friends
(5) Reduce our dependence on global oil, encourage alternate fuels
(6) Balance the budget and reduce the deficit
(7) Grow the economy & stock market

Predictions:

TBD

I’ve been on the losing side before and TBH this one hurts a lot. But this is our democratic process in action.

Welcome to a brave new world. It will be an interesting 4 years.

I do really hope Trump "makes America great again".


Last edited by Edward64 : 11-09-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cary, NC
That #3 "resolving" is probably as tough as the rest combined.
__________________
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
This thread is useless without a poll I can wait 4 years to vote on.
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I'll setup a poll but lets give it a little while for emotions to settle
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Edward, I'm with you in the other thread as having been terribly disappointed from a results standpoint. I am also somewhat with you in that I think this is going to be a fascinating presidency to live through. Although I am a bit more pessimistic in how it plays out than you perhaps. This is a terrible time from a world history standpoint to become isolationist from a trade standpoint, or conversely to attempt to go even more aggressively after ISIS.


And I'll re-ask the questions I asked in the General Election thread:

How does Trump actually govern? So many Republicans distanced themselves from him. Do they kiss the ring and fall in line with his policy? Who is in a Trump cabinet? Who will be making all the decisions, when Trump himself seems so clearly disinterested in much else than the attention this affords him.

And other questions:

How far does the GOP Congress actually let him go with some of these policies? Is he really getting a wall, or can he back out of it by saying "well, we couldn't get Mexico to pay for it after all"? Is he really getting a 30% tax cut? Is he really getting criminalization of abortion and jailing young potential mothers who abort? Is Obamacare coming down? How bad will race relations get... will we really get "stop-and-frisk"? Increased racial profiling? Even so far as a ban on Muslims entering the country?


All I can say now is to the Trump supporters: you're getting what you want. Let's see if it lives up to your expectations. My bet is that it won't. America may be going to some dark places in the years ahead. But then again, maybe not.
__________________
My listening habits

Last edited by Butter : 11-09-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Louis
A Trump presidency would have been a lot more fun without control of both houses. Just like the Democrats have some pretty grand ideas sometimes (i.e. $$$$) I think we will see the Republicans do some expensive things as well. 2018 can't come soon enough for at least a balanced government.

As far as Trump goes I don't know he will be as bad as everyone thinks. Ronald Reagan was an actor, Obama has pretty much zero experience... Not comparing him to either but I don't know if the executive experience thing really matters as much as people seem to think. I share the fear of his massive ego and nuclear war but I'm pretty sure he cares more about his own life and his family's than he does about winning a nuclear showdown. God I hope I'm right on that one!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
All I can say now is to the Trump supporters: you're getting what you want. Let's see if it lives up to your expectations.

Oh I don't think there's any real question that it will come up far short of desires at least, and expectations probably. Hell, my expectations are among the lowest of anyone who voted for him most likely & I'm not even sure those will be met.

He's got a potential two-year hedge for that though: whatever reluctant GOP congressmen are left will be a large primary target two years from now. I suspect they'll be the "coordinators" who get fired and extend the "head coach" lease on life.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

He's got a potential two-year hedge for that though: whatever reluctant GOP congressmen are left will be a large primary target two years from now. I suspect they'll be the "coordinators" who get fired and extend the "head coach" lease on life.

Isn't that it though? I mean, how will the system change (will it?) so that all these politicians get voted out? That's the change that everyone says won last night. Incumbents still rule. He ran on all of them being bad. Is it now that only the (D)'s are bad, and the rest can stay?
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Isn't that it though? I mean, how will the system change (will it?) so that all these politicians get voted out? That's the change that everyone says won last night. Incumbents still rule. He ran on all of them being bad. Is it now that only the (D)'s are bad, and the rest can stay?

I expect it'll be nothing short of all-out war on them honestly (I certainly hope so at least) And here's the tricky part: they can either fight and be out on their ear as the next public enemy #1 OR they can bend to the will of the people.

Many of them have shown a willingness to capitulate in the past, I suspect a lot will now as well.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #10
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I expect it'll be nothing short of all-out war on them honestly (I certainly hope so at least) And here's the tricky part: they can either fight and be out on their ear as the next public enemy #1 OR they can bend to the will of the people.

Many of them have shown a willingness to capitulate in the past, I suspect a lot will now as well.

What happens if they turn the tables and convince Trump that he needs them as much as they need him? Given the way that Bush II fell victim to his fathers advisors, the way that Obama fell victim to the old guard Dems in the House and Senate who totally fucked his first term, you have to have some fear of that happening again.
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #11
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
I really hope that Trump really gets rid of all of those pesky government regulators like the FDA, SEC, EPA, FTC, FAA, and CPSC.

No government regulation will totally mean a better government for all.
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I really hope that Trump really gets rid of all of those pesky government regulators like the FDA, SEC, EPA, FTC, FAA, and CPSC.

No government regulation will totally mean a better government for all.

Who are we to tell people that they can't fly planes wherever they want, or to dump toxic waste wherever they please? Tyrants!
__________________
Commish - FOFL
FOFL - Bar Harbor Whitecaps
FOBL - Las Vegas Lightning
IHOF - Frederick Red Menace
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
What happens if they turn the tables and convince Trump that he needs them as much as they need him? Given the way that Bush II fell victim to his fathers advisors, the way that Obama fell victim to the old guard Dems in the House and Senate who totally fucked his first term, you have to have some fear of that happening again.

Then he's a one-term president unless the Ds come up with a stupifyingly horrific candidate.

His leash is almost certainly shorter than he thinks it is (although I suspect, given how well he understood the electorate, he may understand more closely than we'd give him credit for on first blush). The same people who cast their hopes with him & showed up yesterday will sit the next one out if he turns into "just the same ol' do-nothing".
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
Butter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Then he's a one-term president unless the Ds come up with a stupifyingly horrific candidate.

Have I got a candidate for you! Maybe you've heard of her...
__________________
My listening habits
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Whittier
Supreme Court nomination list just totally changed
__________________
Richard Karstark - Ruler of Karhold - Bannerman of House Stark

KKiTTLeS21: UCLA r0x d00d, #1
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #16
JPhillips
General Manager
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newburgh, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

(1) Don’t start a nuclear war
(2) Secure the borders and reform immigration (somehow)
(3) Greatly reduce ISIL, resolve the Syrian war
(4) Strengthen our relationships with friends
(5) Reduce our dependence on global oil, encourage alternate fuels
(6) Balance the budget and reduce the deficit
(7) Grow the economy & stock market


1 Probably not, but I worry about NATO and our Pacific alliances. I think he's willing to completely change our treaty partners.

2 The wall won't happen, at least not in four years. He'll claim fencing and increased patrols/surveillance was what he meant all along.

3 The second part might happen, but at the expense of cozying up to Russia.

4 See #1. He's been boasting about pissing off allies for two years.

5 LOL He just recently called for a ban on government funding of alternative energies.

6 Double LOL His tax plan alone adds nearly 1 trillion a year to the deficit and he's also calling for lots of increased spending.

7 ? But after almost eight years of expansion I would expect a recession soon.
__________________
To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.. - Mr. Rogers
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #17
miami_fan
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Land O Lakes FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Many of them have shown a willingness to capitulate in the past, I suspect a lot will now as well.

Please meet the the senator from Florida, Marco Rubio.
__________________
There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, “When will you be satisfied?” We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality.- Martin Luther King, August 28, 1963
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
Well any discussion of the R's tempering Trump was just thrown out the window with Ryan's speech basically saying the entire Republican party is now all in. I guess that's the position he should be in, all is forgiven, no harm, no foul, look what I found!
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well any discussion of the R's tempering Trump was just thrown out the window with Ryan's speech basically saying the entire Republican party is now all in. I guess that's the position he should be in, all is forgiven, no harm, no foul, look what I found!

This thread is going to be awesome.

Regarding your post, I don't think it means much. The GOP may rally behind Trump and do extremely well. Or he may do something ridiculously stupid and they put a candidate up against him in four years.

It's like a political version of the Sopranos. Tony just got the top spot. We'll see if he'll handle it well or go down in a ball of flames trying to eliminate his enemies.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: the yo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Have I got a candidate for you! Maybe you've heard of her...

Nobody wanted Hillary on their softball team as a child. She was a first basemen, but she kept dropping the ball.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #21
molson
General Manager
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Mountains
My hope is that Trump really doesn't have any strong policy convictions (other than possibly things that have impacted his businesses) and that he'll surround himself with competent conservatives who may have been overlooked by the establishment, but who might have something to offer.

I think his Supreme Court appointments might be surprisingly solid and moderate. I don't think he's on some mission against abortion and gay marriage, I think he might not care much either way. He may be more interested in looking smart here and appointing on merit.

More of a hope than a prediction, but I hope that he has less political loyalty than any president we've had in a long time, and that could lead to some unexpected positive things in terms how the government operates and how the branches interact.

We get a re-examination/reset, short of a revolution, of how we do things as a country in business and politics. Trump is such a wild card and we don't know what he'll do and what, if anything, he really believes in, so these mechanisms can't just run on auto-pilot.

I hope he's concerned about his legacy and how he's remembered and he doesn't do anything drastic that carries a high risk of catastrophe.

Clinton just said something about being open minded and giving him the chance to lead, and I hope we can try to do that.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2016 at 12:18 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #22
Butter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
I think that one of the things that Trump won on was his "outsider" status. If he just doubles down on working with all of the same old GOP faces, I would think he would lose that luster rather quickly.
__________________
My listening habits

Last edited by Butter : 11-09-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #23
Logan
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
My hope is that Trump really doesn't have any strong policy convictions (other than possibly things that have impacted his businesses) and that he'll surround himself with competent conservatives who may have been overlooked by the establishment, but who might have something to offer.

I think his Supreme Court appointments might be surprisingly solid and moderate. I don't think he's on some mission against abortion and gay marriage, I think he might not care much either way. He may be more interested in looking smart here and appointing on merit.

More of a hope than a prediction, but I hope that he has less political loyalty than any president we've had in a long time, and that could lead to some unexpected positive things in terms how the government operates and how the branches interact.

We get a re-examination/reset, short of a revolution, of how we do things as a country in business and politics. Trump is such a wild card and we don't know what he'll do and what, if anything, he really believes in, so these mechanisms can't just run on auto-pilot.

I hope he's concerned about his legacy and how he's remembered and he doesn't do anything drastic that carries a high risk of catastrophe.

Clinton just said something about being open minded and giving him the chance to lead, and I hope we can try to do that.

This sums up my thoughts/hopes as well and to be honest I'm not sure how it isn't a similar list for the vast majority who voted for him either.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well any discussion of the R's tempering Trump was just thrown out the window with Ryan's speech basically saying the entire Republican party is now all in. I guess that's the position he should be in, all is forgiven, no harm, no foul, look what I found!

He STILL has to go IMO.

Few Trump voters have any confidence in the man, few NeverTrumpers would have any after he rolls over. I can't see how he's got any weight with anyone whatsoever under the circumstances.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #25
PilotMan
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Seven miles up
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He STILL has to go IMO.

Few Trump voters have any confidence in the man, few NeverTrumpers would have any after he rolls over. I can't see how he's got any weight with anyone whatsoever under the circumstances.

I honestly believe you're setting yourself up for a massive disappointment, but I think you already know that.
__________________
Like Steam? Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Need an FOFC Alternative? Try the forum over in the FOFC Steam group.
Direct link to the group above or Google FOFConSteam.

FOFC Steam has group chat available at all times.

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #26
wustin
College Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
I hope he writes a sequel to:

wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #27
miked
College Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
My hope is that Trump really doesn't have any strong policy convictions (other than possibly things that have impacted his businesses) and that he'll surround himself with competent conservatives who may have been overlooked by the establishment, but who might have something to offer.

I think his Supreme Court appointments might be surprisingly solid and moderate. I don't think he's on some mission against abortion and gay marriage, I think he might not care much either way. He may be more interested in looking smart here and appointing on merit.

More of a hope than a prediction, but I hope that he has less political loyalty than any president we've had in a long time, and that could lead to some unexpected positive things in terms how the government operates and how the branches interact.

We get a re-examination/reset, short of a revolution, of how we do things as a country in business and politics. Trump is such a wild card and we don't know what he'll do and what, if anything, he really believes in, so these mechanisms can't just run on auto-pilot.

I hope he's concerned about his legacy and how he's remembered and he doesn't do anything drastic that carries a high risk of catastrophe.

Clinton just said something about being open minded and giving him the chance to lead, and I hope we can try to do that.

How can he do any of this and be re-elected? Jon represents the average Trump voter and look at what he said above. He's already surrounded himself with Giuliani, Christie, Cruz, and other establishment people. He's all in on his gamble.
__________________
Commish of the United Baseball League (OOTP 6.5)
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:27 PM   #28
molson
General Manager
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
How can he do any of this and be re-elected? Jon represents the average Trump voter and look at what he said above. He's already surrounded himself with Giuliani, Christie, Cruz, and other establishment people. He's all in on his gamble.

Maybe he gets a few high-profile wins on immigration, dismantling Obamacare, cutting taxes, cutting some spending, and that's enough to make him feel either that he can win in 2020, or that he can walk away with his head held high.

But, it's a good question, and all I can hope for is my best-case scenario, I can't argue that it's likely.

Last edited by molson : 11-09-2016 at 01:27 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
How can he do any of this and be re-elected? Jon represents the average Trump voter and look at what he said above. He's already surrounded himself with Giuliani, Christie, Cruz, and other establishment people. He's all in on his gamble.

To be fair, I'm going to draw at least one key distinction between me and what I figure is about 60% of them: I don't have any more confidence that he accomplishes anything particularly useful than I had that he'd get the knockout with his puncher's chance.

They do.

The majority really do seem to believe -- whether truly or simply whistling past the graveyard -- that this is the awakening of America, that wrongs will be made right again, and so forth.

If that turns out to not be the case, they're going to take it very hard & very poorly and "Fuck Trump" will become a popular bumper sticker in some districts that he won last night.

The disaster that was Gov. Sonny Perdue in Georgia pretty much ruined me for ever actually believing in an elected official doing any good again. Others are less cynical.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #30
JPhillips
General Manager
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newburgh, NY
He's not going to introduce any legislation. He'll have Pence work with congress and then he'll take credit for everything he signs. He largely won't care what it is.

edit: The result will be a very far-right economic agenda, but that's because that's what will come to his desk. There's no evidence he really cares about policy one way or the other.
__________________
To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.. - Mr. Rogers

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-09-2016 at 01:42 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #31
tarcone
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pacific
Well, since the man has never governed, I imagine there isnt much evidence about how he feels about policy.
__________________
The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #32
JPhillips
General Manager
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Newburgh, NY
There's plenty of evidence that he feels all sides of every policy.
__________________
To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.. - Mr. Rogers
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #33
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
2 The wall won't happen, at least not in four years. He'll claim fencing and increased patrols/surveillance was what he meant all along.

You are probably right but I'm personally hoping for a real wall per my comments in the other thread.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #34
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I remember when Obama won, there was alot of heartache, angst (and venom) from the more radical right. I certainly do not feel that with Trump but I am finding it hard to watch the news right now. I guess I now know a little of how they felt.

I have some FB friends who can't let it go. I don't get into political stuff on FB but I do wish I could tell them to get with the program and give Trump the benefit of doubt (for now).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #35
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The majority really do seem to believe -- whether truly or simply whistling past the graveyard -- that this is the awakening of America, that wrongs will be made right again, and so forth.

If that turns out to not be the case, they're going to take it very hard & very poorly and "Fuck Trump" will become a popular bumper sticker in some districts that he won last night.

I don't know about this. I don't think they will blame Trump, they'll have plenty of other scapegoats. Trump is as teflon (among his supporters) as I've seen.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #36
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Here's a version of Trump's cabinet

US election 2016 results: Meet President Trump's possible cabinet - BBC News

1) Newt - State
2) Rudy - Attorney General
3) Priebus - Chief of Staff
4) Christie - Commerce
5) Sessions - Defense
6) Flynn - National Security Advisor
7) Mnuchin - Treasury

Who will be in Trump's Cabinet? A few possibilities

1) Rudy - Attorney General
2) Newt/Corker - State
3) Carson - Surgeon General
4) Flynn - NSA or Defense
5) Sessions - Defense
6) Priebus - Chief of Staff
7) Mnuchin - Treasury
8) Christie - Justice

Meet Trump's Cabinet-in-waiting - POLITICO

1) Christie/Bolton - State
2) Mnuchin - Treasury
3) Sessions/Hadley/Talent - Defense
4) Rudy - Attorney General
5) Lucas/Palin - Interior

In the theme of shaking things up and being "tougher" internationally, I do like Newt.

Christie should be rewarded for his loyalty but can see Dems making Bridgegate his albatross. Would Trump want that? Maybe not State but a lessor cabinet role.

Rudy is another that should be rewarded for his loyalty. Not sure why but he scares me some as Attorney General. To his credit, I think he would be tough on crime and domestic terrorism.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-10-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Here's a version of Trump's cabinet


There's also talk of the sheriff from Milwaukee (name escapes me atm) getting the DHS job, although thinking about it a bit more I'd prefer to see him at DoJ I think.

Seeing Newt as SoS makes me wish Zell Miller was younger.
Love the idea of Rudy as AG, at least on paper.
Also not wild about moving Sessions out of the Senate.
Would prefer Christie be nowhere near anything frankly.
The Preibus as Ch of Staff surprises me more than any name on the lists.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #38
panerd
Grizzled Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Here's a version of Trump's cabinet

US election 2016 results: Meet President Trump's possible cabinet - BBC News

1) Newt - State
2) Rudy - Attorney General
3) Priebus - Chief of Staff
4) Christie - Commerce
5) Sessions - Defense
6) Flynn - National Security Advisor
7) Mnuchin - Treasury

Who will be in Trump's Cabinet? A few possibilities

1) Rudy - Attorney General
2) Newt/Corker - State
3) Carson - Surgeon General
4) Flynn - NSA or Defense
5) Sessions - Defense
6) Priebus - Chief of Staff
7) Mnuchin - Treasury
8) Christie - Justice

Meet Trump's Cabinet-in-waiting - POLITICO

1) Christie/Bolton - State
2) Mnuchin - Treasury
3) Sessions/Hadley/Talent - Defense
4) Rudy - Attorney General
5) Lucas/Palin - Interior

In the theme of shaking things up and being "tougher" internationally, I do like Newt.

Christie should be rewarded for his loyalty but can see Dems making Bridgegate his albatross. Would Trump want that? Maybe not State but a lessor cabinet role.

Rudy is another that should be rewarded for his loyalty. Not sure why but he scares me some as Attorney General. To his credit, I think he would be tough on crime and domestic terrorism.

Looks like a Who's Who of the GOP from like 10-15 years ago. I thought Trump was an "outsider". I guess I would rather see these guys than Eric Trump: State, Ivanka: Chief of Staff, George Ross: Press Secretary...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #39
Logan
Head Coach
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Looks like a Who's Who of the GOP from like 10-15 years ago. I thought Trump was an "outsider".

I'm legitimately curious as to how this plays out with his supporters (if it plays out).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #40
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Don't quite know Trump's domestic policy yet, I think much of what he said was for the consumption of his base and things may change some.

However, I have been critical of Obama's foreign policy. Long term I do think China is public enemy #1 and we need to counteract it ... so looking forward to us being more tough with them (which I believe Newt can do). TPP was to bring the asian countries closer to us and if not TPP, something else needs to be done.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm legitimately curious as to how this plays out with his supporters (if it plays out).

From the various lists, I imagine most will go over okay.
Newt has had some questionable moments in recent years but I think I may be more aware of those (the Georgia connection) than the average voter

Christie will draw some furrowed brows but probably gets the "well, it's his cabinet so if he trusts him ... " exception until he screws something up

Many are low enough profile (Lucas, Mnuchin) that they're just another name, pending their performance.

The rest are mostly reasonably well regarded afaik.
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
I hope he writes a sequel to:


It will naturally be called "Don't call it a comeback! I was here all along"
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #43
Edward64
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I remember when Obama won, there was alot of heartache, angst (and venom) from the more radical right. I certainly do not feel that with Trump but I am finding it hard to watch the news right now. I guess I now know a little of how they felt.

FWIW, watching and reading the news again isn't that painful anymore. I guess I'm almost over it
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Just had a thought though ... JBL for Treasury maybe?
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
On a lighter note, I've just had a very enjoyable timewasting experience on FB.

WWE Hall of Famer Trump's cabinet ... as filled by wrestling personalities.

Give it a try on your own time, it can be quite amusing
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #46
TroyF
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
How can he do any of this and be re-elected? Jon represents the average Trump voter and look at what he said above. He's already surrounded himself with Giuliani, Christie, Cruz, and other establishment people. He's all in on his gamble.

I'll just chime in here that I disagree with you.

I think Jon (and I believe he will readily admit this) is on the far right hand side of what the party is and what most of the republican voters are.

I think the average Trump voter in this election hated both candidates, but didn't want the same old politics. People are pissed and they want change any way they can get it at this point. I don't agree that this is the best way to go, but it's very clear what happened.

The average Trump voter did what the average Hillary voter did. They had to decide of they wanted to drink kerosene and light themselves on fire or if they wanted to drink raw sewage and put a gun to their head. The polling may be skewed, but I don't think it's wrong on this one: 80% of the people who voted were dissatisfied with both candidates. That left 1 in 5 who actually smiled and felt pride in the vote. The rest of us felt like we had to take a shower.
__________________
TAF1972 on XBOX LIVE
http://pro-football-blog.com/
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Decatur, GA
But on the other hand they (esp Congressional Republicans) are going all in on Trump. And his big supporters didn't hate Trump - they carried him through the primaries. They are the ones who are going to be instrumental in making policy, not the nose holders. But the nose holders have shown they'll go along with it.
__________________
"A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages"
-Tennessee Williams
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Behind Enemy Lines in Athens, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I think Jon (and I believe he will readily admit this) is on the far right hand side of what the party is and what most of the republican voters are.

I'll agree with that well enough ... but I also draw a different conclusion from it.

I'm less enthusiastic about Trump than probably 1/3rd or more of those who voted for him. I think it's fun & all, just to feel like "so you mean there's a chance" again, but have limited hopes for the outcome.

A lot of those I know who voted for him truly bought into the whole "Make America Great Again" thing (I don't believe that's a realistic goal),

I've probably heard directly from around 250 or so Trump voters over the past weeks through election day. They may have had to convince themselves along the journey but by Tuesday over half were sold. (Not a lot over half probably, but still).
__________________
"I lit another cigarette. Unless I specifically inform you to the contrary, I am always lighting another cigarette." - from a novel by Martin Amis
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #49
Butter
Coordinator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
It will naturally be called "Don't call it a comeback! I was here all along"

I need a facepalm.gif for SIGNIFICANTLY whitening these lyrics.

"Hello, old chap! Don't call it a comeback, I was here all along!"
__________________
My listening habits
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #50
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Greensboro, NC
Meanwhile, Obama and Trump are having the first transition meeting right now. It was thought to be 15-20 minutes. They've been in there for roughly 80 minutes as of this posting.
__________________
The media don't understand the kinds of problems and pressures 54 million come wit'!
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 12 (0 members and 12 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.



Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.