Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #151
Edward64
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
T-Mobile is offering $415 for my 8 Plus when preordering the 12. But this is over 30 month credits.

I don't plan to leave T-Mobile anytime soon so $800 - $415 = $385 for a new 12. Add another approx $50 for 128GB version.

Can't compare T-Mobile Pixel deals yet as there is no info up yet. Don't know what's taking so long.

Apparently and extra $200 trade in if you have been with T-Mobile for 5+ years. I still want to know what the Pixel deals are but Apple is making it feasible to get an iPhone 12.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #152
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think I want a 12 mini but I need to physically play with one before I decide.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #153
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just an article about how 5G networks are very limited and the benefits of them are over-promised currently.

Quote:

Ignore phone companies about 5G

By Shira Ovide

There might not be smartphones in billions of pockets today if the phone companies had their way.

Now they’re again standing in the way of progress.
This week’s unveiling of new iPhone models started the typical selling season for smartphones. What’s different in 2020 is Americans are getting pitched hard on buying a new phone to get access to the next generation of cellular networks, known as 5G.

The message is: 5G = Good! Fast! Get it now!

Reality: It is not that good or that fast at the moment and most people in the United States don’t need to get it now.

Americans should be angry about marketing blather winning over clarity about 5G. I fear people will waste their money on half-baked technology and grow disillusioned by 5G’s potential to improve lives.

My message for U.S. phone companies: Communicate more effectively about 5G or go away.

I’ve seen these problems before. In the pre-iPhone age, we had years of clunky mobile devices, and phone providers like AT&T deserved a lot of the blame.

Phone companies dictated almost everything about flip phones and early smartphones, including their features, look and speed. People had to put up with crummy software from the phone company to surf the web or download songs and ringtones. (Remember ringtones?!) It stank.

One of the secrets to the iPhone’s success is Apple simply said no to all of that. Apple’s chief executive at the time, Steve Jobs, gave wireless phone companies an ultimatum: Stay out of every decision about the iPhone or lose a shot at selling a potential blockbuster.

Apple got its way, the iPhone was eventually a success and phone companies got rich from it alongside Apple.

Phone companies did eventually play an important role in making smartphones affordable, useful and available across the globe. But a lesson from that crucial beginning was that phone companies needed to be taken down a peg before a new technology could catch on.

I’m getting bad 2000s vibes from what’s happening now with smartphones.

My colleague Brian X. Chen has written about 5G marketing hot air. This wireless standard should, in theory, allow us to download videos or buy stuff on our phones in a snap. At some point the fast wireless speeds might make it easier for cars without drivers to safely navigate city streets and for more surgeons to operate on patients remotely.

But in the United States right now, 5G is not available in many places nor is it a significant improvement in zippiness — if it’s faster at all — for most people. Phone companies are not being clear about that, mostly.

If you’ve decided to buy a new smartphone, it makes sense to buy one that works on 5G cell networks. Most Americans, however, should not buy a new phone just for 5G. (People in other countries: This may not apply to you.)

Given Apple’s history, I was disappointed that Apple this week echoed the confusion about 5G at its unveiling of new iPhones. Jobs’s successor, Tim Cook, let the boss of Verizon hype 5G. Cook said that 5G is “super fast.” It is! If you stand under just the right light pole on that one block in Chicago.

These 5G cellular networks will get better soon. I worry, though, that in the meantime Americans will grow cynical about the networks’ potential. And if they do, it will mostly be the phone companies’ fault.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #154
Atocep
Grizzled Veteran

Not to mention the covid that comes with it.

Based on what I've experienced, I don't think there's any reason to rush out to get a 5G right now. I get definite speed increases in some areas while others are no different than 4G.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:51 AM   #155
Edward64
Coordinator

Just for some distraction from the continuous drama & anxiety of the past 2.5 days ... I'm looking forward to reading reviews of the iPhone 12 Pro Max (and Mini for wife & daughter) which will be announce on Fri so assuming the NDA will expire then.

It's down to iPhone or Pixel. I know Samsung S20 FE (vs Pixel 5) is a pretty good mid-range phone but don't want to wait on updates & patches. High up on my priority list is large screen (eyes getting bad).

At this time, I am leaning against the Pixel 5 $700 (price doesn't justify it unless prices drop $200 or so) and my default is currently Pixel 4a 5G $500 for the low-end. I could see myself getting an iPhone 12 Pro Max (large screen!) because TMobile has good trade in for my current iPhone 8 Plus and also a loyalty $200 bonus (but not sure I qualify) which would bring it down to approx $600 vs 4a 5G $500. It'll be a no brainer then since Pro Max has a much larger screen and has a better trade-in value.

Still don't know how much a 4a 5G will cost. For some reason, TMobile doesn't have it up yet.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #156
Edward64
Coordinator

Reviews are in for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and it's pretty good, especially camera at night.

I checked with T-Mobile. I'll be getting a $415 trade in for my 8 Plus and also another $200 as a loyalty bonus for being a customer longer than 5+ years. This means a Pro Max will cost me $1,100 - $415 - $200 or $485.

Pretty good deal for T-Mobile customers.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:52 AM   #157
Edward64
Coordinator

Received my iPhone 12 Pro Max yesterday and transferred my 8 Plus stuff over. Enjoying the larger screen and pics are better.

I think I like the rounded feel of the 8 Plus better than the flat edges though. Dimension wise, it's a tad larger but feels a bigger because of the camera bump.