SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

TWEET! Here we go Boyz, it's the FM21 thread

Beta is out. That's all.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Icy
Pro Starter

After two days playing the beta I’d say this is going to be the best FM in years!

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
Mota
College Benchwarmer

What is it that you think is so good? I've been seeing the match engine is much improved.
Are there any ways to automate the in-game stuff a bit more? I know nothing about football, and I love to manage the team and manage the rosters, just not the in-game strategies.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
After two days playing the beta I’d say this is going to be the best FM in years!

Good to hear. Was planning on getting in after skipping 2 cycles (one on purpose, the last kinda just happened ...)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Match Engine is better, the whole interaction is deeper (may not be for everyone, but my interactions with the press doesn't seem like checking boxes off any more, at least right now), but if you want to get through a season in short amount of time, you may want to go for an instant result skin (there's a semi-flawed one out right now, flawed because SI haven't unlocked a bunch of stuff for editors, but it works)
Old 11-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #6
Icy
Pro Starter

Basically what SirFozzie said, better match engine, deeper interaction (let’s see if isn’t just the novelty factor and we grow tired of it long term) and a lot of quality of life improvements that makes it easier to play. The inclusion of Xg stats is great, think on it like baseball stats but related to football to measure players efficiency. Basically it measures the quality of your chances, so you be able to know if you score less or more than you should.

The ME fixes are the most important to me, it seems there is more central play, through passes and the forwards are more mobile and involved in the build up instead of just sitting in the area like old school football.

But as he also mentioned, if you are looking for a game to simulate Seasons fast Not paying attention to the detail, FM in general is not your game. Or you can try the FMT versión once is released on January 1st, that is the light version of FM without part of the micro Management from the full version.

Last edited by Icy : 11-13-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This is the SKin that I use for when I want to play out seasons a bit quicker (It's an Instant Result Skin, meaning that if you prefer being a GM type and letting your assistants coach out a game, you can just press it and it will sim out the game for you)

FMScout Instant Result FM21 Skins by Wannachup V1.02 | FM Scout
Old 11-13-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
This is the SKin that I use for when I want to play out seasons a bit quicker (It's an Instant Result Skin, meaning that if you prefer being a GM type and letting your assistants coach out a game, you can just press it and it will sim out the game for you)

FMScout Instant Result FM21 Skins by Wannachup V1.02 | FM Scout

Does it still not sub out anyone?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Subbed out people just fine. The only real bug I notice is in the initial splash screen post match it shows when goals were scored, but not whom. (it's still available, and will be fixed on full release)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:14 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm waiting it out for at least til the first sale. I do like having it earlier than waiting until the end of the cycle given how mods work and stuff, but...I'm content waiting for the kinks to get out before diving in, though I still wonder if it's worth it for someone who plays fictional and maybe I can just wait until FM22 because I don't care about real players and I've mostly got my leagues working how I like.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 AM   #11
Olsson
High School JV

Mota .. I’m a FM Touch player. Much more streamlined. Plays much faster.

No more signing 50 staff and sitting in on press conferences and player talks.

You sign players and key staff, set your tactics and play games. It also comes with a functioning instant result button.

Some things are missing from the real game though. Especially if you like to play in the US.
Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:06 AM   #12
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsson View Post
Mota .. I’m a FM Touch player. Much more streamlined. Plays much faster.

No more signing 50 staff and sitting in on press conferences and player talks.

You sign players and key staff, set your tactics and play games. It also comes with a functioning instant result button.

Some things are missing from the real game though. Especially if you like to play in the US.

With the instant result, can you play out the highlights without knowing the score, or is the same as past years when hitting instant result brings up the match score & summary?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Best thing about the desktop version is you can finally switch leagues on/off as View only or view only for lowerr leagues and activate the top tier. My favorite feature by far as someone who mostly sims and scans results over lots of sims.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just a reminder that you'll have to unfake all the usual stuff in the winter update if you want to use German National team, etcetera
Old 02-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
but if you want to get through a season in short amount of time, you may want to go for an instant result skin (there's a semi-flawed one out right now, flawed because SI haven't unlocked a bunch of stuff for editors, but it works)
WHY DOES THIS STILL NEED A SKIN? @Marc Vaughn etc (and not singling Marc out, he's just the one here I think is still tied to FM)

Us FOFC'ers are a small slice of the market, but we're a very dedicated user base, and this is literally a simple design decision. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I'm not asking for a longer term quick sim with the same accuracy in stats, just an easy way that the AI you have already programmed can simulate one game quickly.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #16
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Best thing about the desktop version is you can finally switch leagues on/off as View only or view only for lowerr leagues and activate the top tier. My favorite feature by far as someone who mostly sims and scans results over lots of sims.

Do you know if there's a way to follow a team? I'd like to get all of a team's news updates and also watch their games. Kind of like following the team as a fan.

I know you can subscribe to the team news, but I wasn't able to find a way to automatically subscribe to their games, you have to constantly go to the team schedule and attend games.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Do you know if there's a way to follow a team? I'd like to get all of a team's news updates and also watch their games. Kind of like following the team as a fan.

I know you can subscribe to the team news, but I wasn't able to find a way to automatically subscribe to their games, you have to constantly go to the team schedule and attend games.

Yeah you should be able to add them to your feed in-game even if you aren't managing them. I tend to unsubscribe from everything, plus if you make your manager a fan of a team it'll add it into the things in their feed.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #18
Bee
Pro Starter

So for the first time ever, I tried playing this on the XBox thinking it would be kind of nice to sit on the couch and have it on a big screen. I found it just about unplayable using a controller and quickly switched back to the computer version. Just curious if anyone has found it manageable using the controller? It just seemed poorly optimized for the controller to me. Even creating my profile it was like sometimes it wouldn't let me change colors or the button to select was different from one screen to the next once I get into the game. Maybe this dog is just too old to learn new tricks.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote