Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Trade Rule Discussion (for future seasons)

With the craziness of free agency, we pretty much have to allow unlimited player trading this season. However, I mentioned early on that I'd love to explore the idea of limited trading of players going forward. I think it would add a lot to the cap management part of the challenge of running a team. Here's my thinking for a starting point:

PICKS: unlimited trading of picks
PLAYERS: No team may trade away or acquire via trade more than 2 players per season.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I dunno, even at 2 you can still mitigate cap quite a bit. If you really want to add to the cap management challenge, leave it at 0 players. Only draft pick trades allowed. If you sign a guy to a contract, you keep him or cut him. Otherwise I'm not sure if the rule will have much of an impact.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

I'd be all for that, or for limiting it to only one of each. I'm just trying to generate discussion and figure out what the league's "middle ground" might be on the matter. Benevolent Dictatorship is the key here.

If the overall thinking is for no player trading, I'm all for that, both in terms of "making the cap more challenging," and in terms of "saving the commish work."
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
RedKingGold
College Starter

After this initial season, I wouldn't mind seeing a trade restriction of somesort.

I don't think I'd want an outright ban of trading players, but perhaps limiting it to two players per year per team which can be traded with no limit on draft picks.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Limiting trading struck me as odd at first but I think I like that idea...sleep in the bed that you made. But, having a little wiggle room for random busts and whatnot would be nice.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Definately not in favor of an outright ban on all player trades. Limiting it is fine.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
direct.entropy
n00b

I'm not in favor of limiting player for pick trades... aside from not allowing newly signed FA's to be traded.

It's just that every owner has the same opportunity to trade/trade for players. I don't see an exploit or problem with the system that most leagues currently run.
direct.entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by direct.entropy View Post
It's just that every owner has the same opportunity to trade/trade for players. I don't see an exploit or problem with the system that most leagues currently run.
The problem is that the ability to trade players away at a massively higher rate than we'd ever see in real life makes it *far* too easy to manage the salary cap and keep players forever. The "no-franchise" rule is part of an effort to make free agency more interesting in this league. Limited trading would help with the same issue. Unless there's a huge backlash against, there will definitely be *some* limiting of player-for-player trading here.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

The two player limit seems fair to me. May be best to clarify it though. If I trade a player for another player, do I hit the limit? 1 player traded away + 1 player acquired via trade?
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

We can define it however we like. I'm more looking along the lines of "what will keep the most people content." I was *thinking* two players out and two players in per year, but I'd prefer one in and one out per year (or none).
Old 11-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

I like the heavy restrictions. I'd like to see one in one out, but would be fine with two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I guess I could go along with a flat 2 player limit. I wish list would be to set a rule that limits trades of guys making over X amount of money while guys under X can be traded all day, but I can see where that would not be a popular option because of the need to keep track of that. I just think trading the 41/41 WR who makes $820,000 for a 3rd or 4td round draft pick isn't really a huge cap space saving move.

This will limit trading of draft picks as well, and I can see positives and negatives for that as well. No team having 4-5 first round picks in one draft is a positive, me not having 4-5 3rd rounders is a negative.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
jwolf02
n00b

I think there should be a limit on players out - preferably 1 - but no limit on players in. If someone wants to give away their future for 2 or 3 guys in the offseason by spending picks that's fine with me, but with a 1 out limit it would have to come from 2-3 different teams, etc etc.
jwolf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
Mr. Olympia
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
With the craziness of free agency, we pretty much have to allow unlimited player trading this season.

I really hope you rethink this. I do not think owners should be allowed to immediately trade away a player they just sign. I thought most MP leagues had rules in place to prevent owners from signing players for the sole purpose of trading them hours after signing.

To me this is an owner using this trade craziness to cheat the league's "No Franchise Tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
WR Mitch Chandler, 79/79, 8th year -- STUD at a nerfed position, lock it up. You get him for $6m and can renegotiate to a long term deal, What's not to like?
He signs a player to a one year deal only to turn around and trade him to a team that will resign him to a multiyear deal. Thus getting around the No Franchise Tag for 1 year players.

These owners have made their beds, now they need to lie in it. Everyone in the league was warned not to do this in the strategy thread before the season started, so why reward these owners who end up with too many players at some positions?

Look how the Eagles have backed themselves out of trouble by releasing their players. They are not asking for a handout from the league.

Last edited by Mr. Olympia : 11-04-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Mr. Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Hard to change it now when people thought they could do this (and in fact it was explicitly mentioned) and factored it into their strategies. The time to bring that up would have been last Friday.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Olympia View Post
These owners have made their beds, now they need to lie in it. Everyone in the league was warned not to do this in the strategy thread before the season started, so why reward these owners who end up with too many players at some positions?

I'm quite well aware of what I'm doing with my team, and I signed this player will complete knowledge that I would not be able to tag him in order to keep him past the current season. But to suggest that a sign-and-trade was always understood to be outside the league rules is just absurd.

Specifically, it's simply not true that "Everyone in the league was warned not to do this in the strategy thread before the season started" -- instead everyone was warned that because there's no franchise tag in this league, they would be unable to retain anyone signed to a 1yr contract. That is simply not the same thing as telling teams not to sign one year deals, even if that is what you thought you were hearing.

Make your argument as you please, but spare me the finger pointing about how I need to "lie in it." I'm pretty much on top of what I'm trying to do with my team, thanks just the same.

Last edited by QuikSand : 11-04-2008 at 02:41 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't like being able to sign players to one year above market deals, and then trade them to someone else who can then sign the guy to a long term below market value deal.

In the future. OBviously not this year.

Last edited by stevew : 11-04-2008 at 02:41 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And I favor something like 2 players out, unlimited players coming in. It's one thing to be able to sell off your whole team. It's another if you have a legit injury at some point in the first few weeks of the season, and need to bring in a competent replacement.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

You never know what those silly FA's are going to do, so having the ability to sign-and-trade guys during this first free-for-all is an integral part of the strategy.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't like being able to sign players to one year above market deals, and then trade them to someone else who can then sign the guy to a long term below market value deal.

In the future. OBviously not this year.

Incidentally, I like a rule like that going forward, and would have been fine had that been stated as our league's rule for this year. It wasn't, so I'm using what I can.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tri dola-

Trade deadline should be week 12 or 13 in this league. It'd spice up the last half, I mean, nobody is going to be able to trade more than 2 guys anyways.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #22
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
You never know what those silly FA's are going to do, so having the ability to sign-and-trade guys during this first free-for-all is an integral part of the strategy.

Precisely. When we're doing a mad scramble between 32 teams to sign 50+ players, there's no WAY teams arne't going to wind up with some overlap in some areas.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Incidentally, I like a rule like that going forward, and would have been fine had that been stated as our league's rule for this year. It wasn't, so I'm using what I can.

Yup.

What several have said is the case. It was explicitly stated that for this year, sign and trade was fine. (And with what is going to happen tomorrow with FA2:3, quite likely completely necessary to avoid just complete silliness from happening.) I am in *four* other MP leagues, and none of them choose to enforce that rule, so I'm not sure about the notion that "most" disallow.

For those that didn't realize it, the commish has to click a button to override FOF's rule about signing and trading in the same year. I am in favor of simply enforcing FOF's rule about signing and trading in the same year, but absolutely not this year.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-04-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #24
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Hard to change it now when people thought they could do this (and in fact it was explicitly mentioned) and factored it into their strategies. The time to bring that up would have been last Friday.

Greg nailed.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #25
RipMurdock
n00b

I am against any blanket rule limiting trades. First, a team can rebuild quickly if it's willing to trade draft picks for players. I've rebuilt 2 teams and made them reasonably competitive, one by making 12 trades and the other with 4 trades. That option would be severely limited if every team could trade only one or two players per season. Without trades you would cripple a struggling team trying to improve.

Second, if there's a problem then solve the problem as directly as possible. Don't like the franchise tag? Dump it. I'm fine with that. If you don't like a team that flips a player, then make a rule for that, e.g., every player involved in a trade must have been on the team's roster for 8 games before he is eligible to be traded.

Third, if you want to limit trades, then take it out on the winners like the draft does. Make a rule that the four championship conference teams can make only one trade the next season. That would limit the top four teams but give the struggling teams a chance to improve by trading.
RipMurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #26
Subby
lolzcat

LIE IN YOUR BED AFTER YOU MAKE THEM

LIE IN THEM
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #27
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I hear that Quik wants to lie in your bed, Subby.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #28
Suicane75
Coordinator

I dont mind the suggested rules, I do think a 2 or 3 season grace period would be good though.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I hear that Quik wants to lie in your bed, Subby.
He does, but only because he has the hots for my wife.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #30
Subby
lolzcat

Do it like renegs in some leagues - only allow a guy to be traded in the last season of his deal.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #31
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And I favor something like 2 players out, unlimited players coming in. It's one thing to be able to sell off your whole team. It's another if you have a legit injury at some point in the first few weeks of the season, and need to bring in a competent replacement.

This sounds perfect to me. This would eliminate fire sales and make trades less prevalent, while also allowing a new owner the opportunity to "turn it around" by adding as much talent as possible while still being able to dump a salary or two if needed.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #32
RipMurdock
n00b

A limit, like 2 players out, would make it difficult for struggling teams to turn it around. Look at it this way:

Most teams either don't want to trade or don't have players that one strugggling team might want. That boils down to a handful of teams, maybe as few as 5 or 6, that would be willing to trade. Do the math. The maximum number of players who could be traded is only 10 or 12.

How many "struggling" teams are there? If we measure success as making the playoffs, that means we have as many as 20 "struggling" teams chasing players.

In sum, the situation could be as bleak as 20 teams chasing 10 or 12 players. The result of such a scenario is that the struggling teams cannot get enough players, and salary/bonus demands will escalate because the demand for players is greater than the supply. Not such a great result to get if we limit trades.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #33
wade moore
lolzcat

Have you been in FOF MP leagues before? I don't mean that as rude, but every league I'm in most teams from top to bottom - regardless of quality - are looking to trade.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #34
RipMurdock
n00b

Then why limit trades? Trading is good.

The example I wrote about above is reasonable. Many teams are looking to trade, but the matchup of team A's needs with team B will not always work out. Practically speaking, a team's potential trading partner is not 31 but considerably less.

I'm in 4 leagues.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #35
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipMurdock View Post
Then why limit trades? Trading is good.

The example I wrote about above is reasonable. Many teams are looking to trade, but the matchup of team A's needs with team B will not always work out. Practically speaking, a team's potential trading partner is not 31 but considerably less.

I'm in 4 leagues.

Limit trades to give a but of a boost to the FA market. Trading is an easy way to avoid ever getting into cap trouble.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #36
RipMurdock
n00b

By now everyone knows where I stand on trades. But the concept of limited trading is interesting. And if there's any league that should try it, it's FOWL. So let's do it and find out what it's all about.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #37
SegRat
High School Varsity

Here is an idea. Now I am sure some will think it is stupid, however it is just an idea. Allow the lower teams, say the bottom 20, to trade (up to 2 players in or out), and the top 12 teams would not be able to trade. Most of the time your top teams are tight against the cap. Let the top teams lie in there bed if you will. Remember this is just a random idea I am throwing out there.
SegRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Actually, I was thinking of something like that, too, SegRat. I was thinking something like the 12 playoff teams should lose 10% of the cap, something like that though.

Just sign a scrub to their rosters in FA1 with a bonus=10% of the cap, and then cut him.

Or each year you make the playoffs in a row, you lose 5% of the cap. Maxed out at like 20%.

I dunno, probably a horribly unpopular idea, but it was just something I thought of when I was driving tonight.

Last edited by stevew : 11-06-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #39
direct.entropy
n00b

Yeah, I don't like the idea of limiting the cap. And let's not get complicated here and just limit each team to one player out and no limit on trades in.

I don't see why we would have to do anymore than this.
direct.entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

yeah, not a fan of the cap manipulation.

Quote:
Old 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #41
Ben E Lou

Definitely want to keep it simple, whatever we do. Number of players traded in or out in a given season can be tracked with a fairly basic script I can write.

The big picture in this is that if trades are limited and there's no franchise tag, it will create longer contracts in free agency that people have to honor, or make cuts. And that will cause more good players to hit free agency, which should allow the lesser teams to have a shot at quick improvement. What happens otherwise is that good teams are able to use trades to get value in return for their good players--much more value than in real life, and enough in the FOF system that it helps keep the system imbalanced. Now make no mistake: those who know FOF well will always have a leg up on those who don't. This is just an attempt to see what free agency might look like with limited ability to work the contract system.

That's the theory, at least.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #42
Ben E Lou

Yeah...that was faster than I would have thought, even...

cityname playerstraded
Atlanta 1
Baltimore 6
Buffalo 3
Cincinnati 4
Denver 6
Detroit 4
Green Bay 1
Jacksonville 1
New York 3
Oakland 1
Philadelphia 3
Pittsburgh 1
San Diego 2
Old 11-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #43
jwolf02
n00b

I definately think that whatever we do should apply to all teams, good or bad, rich or poor. I would favor a limited out, unlimited in rule.
jwolf02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #44
tarcone
Coordinator

No trades. Make a salary decision and stick to it. Cut bait if you screwed up. Draft and free agency. see if you can build a winner that way.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #45
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
No trades. Make a salary decision and stick to it. Cut bait if you screwed up. Draft and free agency. see if you can build a winner that way.
I think this is a great way of closing the gulf between the haves and have nots.

Less administrative burden, too.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #46
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I think this is a great way of closing the gulf between the haves and have nots.
I like the idea of keeping pick-for-pick trades in....but as I said, I'm open to whatever. I do think there's a lot of benefit (besides admin) to no trading of players. I'm not sure what hte benefit of no pick trading would be, though. Help a brutha out with that one.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #47
RipMurdock
n00b

Now we're moving from limited trades to no trades. That's too extreme.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #48
tarcone
Coordinator

I wouldnt mind trading of picks. Thats always fun.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #49
Ben E Lou

Well, considering a number of people have weighed in favoring no player trading, it's not really extreme relative to the owner group. It's just too easy to use trading as a crutch to work around salary cap issues. My experience in MP leagues lately is that the only way a significant number of good players hit free agency in a given year is the result of owner inattentiveness. We don't want that. The goal here is to have 32 people paying attention *and* have a meaningful free agency stage every single season. That won't happen if people can trade away their cap issues, rather than be forced to make cuts or allow players to hit free agency.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #50
Ben E Lou

Yes tarcone. I don't see much justification at all for getting rid of pick trading. I'm purely talking about player trading.