Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Weekday League (FOWL)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2025 FA 1 Complete

FOWL TRANSACTIONS

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So where is Washington moving to?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
chinaski
College Prospect

Sweet, I forgot to check - Portland, Or. here we come!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
zullojer
Mascot

so i can only offer 3 year deals to rookies? and all other ufa's are 3 or more years?

right?
zullojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zullojer View Post
so i can only offer 3 year deals to rookies? and all other ufa's are 3 or more years?

right?

Rookies can be 3 or more years, same for UFA's.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Sweet, I forgot to check - Portland, Or. here we come!

Nice, Buffalo will be next to relocate!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quick thought - Next season, when we run FA-1, after FA1-12 ends, maybe we can get a file at that point (for the combine results) before you run the draft? We wouldn't need an extra day, just a sort of "pre-file" so we can actually see the results of our scouting, then the post draft file can be released shortly thereafter.

Just a thought.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
Sef0r
n00b

I was just having a look through the file and remembered you don't get to see the results of your scouting.
Any chance we can get the file before the draft ends? I am a little unsure as to who I want to offer big money to.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Quick thought - Next season, when we run FA-1, after FA1-12 ends, maybe we can get a file at that point (for the combine results) before you run the draft? We wouldn't need an extra day, just a sort of "pre-file" so we can actually see the results of our scouting, then the post draft file can be released shortly thereafter.

Just a thought.

I really hope so, I spent an hour setting my interviews for nothing
Old 05-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

People still do interviews?

Yeah, known limitation of this setup but honestly, I didn't even think about it since I don't use them.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 AM   #11
Sef0r
n00b

oh well, I've made some offers and will have to wait for TC to know for sure.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

One more learning opportunity from this setup -- just how pointless interviews are.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I only use interviews as a helper when deciding between two players. If I have a guy with similar combine numbers as another or one with borderline combines in an area or two, I try to get an extra read that way.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
zullojer
Mascot

i only use scouting to get a better idea of what the bars look like. I don't listen to the scout's opinion of overrated or not.
zullojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
TheMeat
n00b

As with Zullojer, I mostly use them to get a better idea of the bars. I think it'd be good to give people the option to see the Over/Underrated by offerring the pre-draft file but not only are scouts fairly innacurate on their impression, I'm not sure what it really matters.
Owner/GM of the soon to be awesome Fort Worth Fury of the IHOF

TheMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
TheMeat
n00b

Oooooo, I see what's up, I can't even see the post-interview bars? That's weird. I wonder why not, since I seem to remember interviewing guys that didn't get drafted and seeing their orange bars not just the blue. But really, since we get to see the actual numbers for their Cur/Fut ratings, the orange bars are of limited usefulness anyway.

And really, I would just suggest doing everything that Ben does so if not using interviews is the way to go then so be it! Hahah

Old 05-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
Sef0r
n00b

I'm sorry but if your scout is good at a position and he rates the player very overrated I don't bother with him, especially if he is under 50% developed. I've just played SP a lot and know that choosing an overrated player means there will, in most cases, be a lot more green then red.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
TheMeat
n00b

I guess what I mean is that you can tell most of those very overrated players by looking at their combine scores. I guess the Scout impression is good for players not overly familiar with the correlation between combines and certain ratings but as Ben has mentioned elsewhere on these boards, you can do very well without even looking at bars or scout opinions and just focusing on combine scores as those are the best indicator of his true bar values.

And I think putting too much into scout opinion would be detrimental to some newer players because scout's aren't very accurate. I play in a MP with a friend where we each control two teams so I have a lot of experience scouting the same player with two different scouts and I think most people would be surprised on how often two good+ rated scouts will disagree on a certain rookie.

I would say there's no real problem offering that pre-draft stage file since it's pretty easy, and I do like to have the refined orange bars instead of the blue ones but in the end, combine scores and the masked Cur/Fut rating are pretty powerful tools in seeing how good a player will be.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #19
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
I guess what I mean is that you can tell most of those very overrated players by looking at their combine scores. I guess the Scout impression is good for players not overly familiar with the correlation between combines and certain ratings but as Ben has mentioned elsewhere on these boards, you can do very well without even looking at bars or scout opinions and just focusing on combine scores as those are the best indicator of his true bar values.

And I think putting too much into scout opinion would be detrimental to some newer players because scout's aren't very accurate. I play in a MP with a friend where we each control two teams so I have a lot of experience scouting the same player with two different scouts and I think most people would be surprised on how often two good+ rated scouts will disagree on a certain rookie.

I would say there's no real problem offering that pre-draft stage file since it's pretty easy, and I do like to have the refined orange bars instead of the blue ones but in the end, combine scores and the masked Cur/Fut rating are pretty powerful tools in seeing how good a player will be.

I use a combination of combine and bars. What I should have done was taken a screenshot of the player bars before the interview and see where abouts my refined orange bars ended up landing, either the top end or the bottom end of the blue bar. I see what you mean and understand, just been a SP experience of mine to rely on those overrated and underrated bars. In almost all cases where I use the combine results as well as the interview results, a player with very very low bars actually ends up playing pretty good after being scouted underrated but alas, my experience is no where near those of some vets so I value your opinions a lot.

I will continue to read up in the main forums on tips and tricks to the game.

Can you tell me something? From the look of my QB Derrick Wiggins of the Texans, do you think he was worth the 1.17 pick I used on him in our last draft? I am only asking because I scouted him as very underrated and his combine were pretty damn good. Now, I ask because his bars were nothing to get exited about, but his combine was great. I think he has moved up from a 15/40 to 35/47 in two seasons. This may be his breakout, maybe...
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #20
TheMeat
n00b

Wiggins is easily worth that pick btw, if he was my QB I wouldn't be bidding on others right now. he shows 35/50 on my side, and I'd wager a guess he'll go up even more. QBs can be tough because a couple important ratings have no combine correlation but he's got all his bars where I like to see them for my QBs and if he makes it 50+ he's a good starter in this league.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:08 AM   #21
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
Wiggins is easily worth that pick btw, if he was my QB I wouldn't be bidding on others right now. he shows 35/50 on my side, and I'd wager a guess he'll go up even more. QBs can be tough because a couple important ratings have no combine correlation but he's got all his bars where I like to see them for my QBs and if he makes it 50+ he's a good starter in this league.

hmmm...I like your scout