Galaxy
Coordinator

Keith Olbermann suspended from MSNBC

Keith Olbermann Suspended from MSNBC - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I thought it might have been for posting here all the time under the username Steve Bollea. :-)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

As they should. Those contributions alone paint him as a supporter of the democratic party, without them he carries an extremely objective viewpoint!

wtf?

He just criticized Jon Stewart some, was hoping it was for that .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I thought it might have been for posting here all the time under the username Steve Bollea. :-)

I definitely LOLd on that.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

"Keith, tell me about SteveBollea."
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Given he's not hiding his affiliation I don't have a problem with him donating to a party, however, this was apparently clearly against corporate rules, so he should have known better.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate Olbermann so much that I have a hard time identifying with the Democrats. To me, he's the worst hack job guy out there. I think I dislike him more than Hannity and Beck. Although it would be great if all three of them would take a helicopter ride together.

Last edited by stevew : 11-05-2010 at 02:08 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

It's hilarious reading responses from left-wing sites, absolutely priceless.

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 11-05-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Given he's not hiding his affiliation I don't have a problem with him donating to a party, however, this was apparently clearly against corporate rules, so he should have known better.

The only reason he hid this was not because he didn't know better, but because it would effectively stop him from bitching about Fox News' contributions - at least not without being labeled a fucking hypocrite.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, there's that angle too. My point was that I'm not going to get bent out of shape by obvious partisans donating money to political campaigns. As long as you're not pretending to be impartial it doesn't matter to me.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The only reason he hid this was not because he didn't know better, but because it would effectively stop him from bitching about Fox News' contributions - at least not without being labeled a fucking hypocrite.
Maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't Olberman criticizing Fox News for contributions the company made to campaigns?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't Olberman criticizing Fox News for contributions the company made to campaigns?

Yes, but that just makes his particular situation even worse, IMO.

And I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference whether it's a company or individual if it/he "goes beyond having a point of view and actually starts to shill for partisan causes and actually starts to donate to partisan groups of one party." Isn't it the same issue that one would want to guard against, ultimately?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

I liked him on SportsCenter when he had the moustache.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Quote:
Yeah, there's that angle too. My point was that I'm not going to get bent out of shape by obvious partisans donating money to political campaigns. As long as you're not pretending to be impartial it doesn't matter to me.

I agree with you - it's not like we don't know who he wants to win and who he votes for. But even if you're not pretending to be impartial, if you want to hammer your competition with a legitimate point about supporting a particular party, you ought not be doing that yourself. Or you should disclose it and make up some excuse why it's different or something. Anything but try to get away with it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-05-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Man, how long has it been? And still gold.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Wait, the Fox Network as a whole donates to the GOP! THere's no pretense of objectivity with Olbermann, so its hard to see the issue here.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #17
JediKooter
Coordinator

So who's the Worst Person In America?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Wait, the Fox Network as a whole donates to the GOP! THere's no pretense of objectivity with Olbermann, so its hard to see the issue here.

Yep.

Well part of the issue is the hypocrisy, but I agree - that is sort of obscuring the fact that FOX as a corporation is donating to a political party.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
dbd1963
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

Yeah, like pointing out how MSNBC continues to employ Joe Scarborough even though he did the same thing in 2006. It became a small scandal, and the very same MSNBC boss said it was OK.

I guess it's OK if you are a Republican..

Last edited by dbd1963 : 11-05-2010 at 03:35 PM.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
Yeah, like pointing out how MSNBC continues to employ Joe Scarborough even though he did the same thing in 2006. It became a small scandal, and the very same MSNBC boss said it was OK.

It's ok to be biased if you're a corporation, but if you work for a corporation you have to be unbiased.

At least that's my take.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yep.

Well part of the issue is the hypocrisy, but I agree - that is sort of obscuring the fact that FOX as a corporation is donating to a political party.

Is donating to a political party what they call having republican candidates on your payroll these days? .
Old 11-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

See, if he'd just stayed in the safe world of sports and not jumped into the shitstorm of politics, he'd still be OK.

More sports, less politics. I want to talk about sports with people. I want to shoot people in the face who talk to me about politics.

I don't hate everything.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

+1. Especially the Daily Kos. Just pure hilarity.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yes, but that just makes his particular situation even worse, IMO.

And I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference whether it's a company or individual if it/he "goes beyond having a point of view and actually starts to shill for partisan causes and actually starts to donate to partisan groups of one party." Isn't it the same issue that one would want to guard against, ultimately?
I feel the opposite - if a particular commentator is contributing to a particular party, I have less of a problem with it, especially if it's disclosed. I mean, is anyone shocked that Olbermann has contributed to the campaigns of some Democrats?

It's far more damning in my opinion when the company itself contributes to political parties. Any pretense of "fair and balanced" is wiped away by the fact that Fox News has contributed to Republican candidates. Sure, we all know guys like Beck and Hannity are going to contribute to conservative candidates, but they are in positions of commentary. The fact that Fox News contributes also tars what should theoretically be their objective department, the news department. Not that we'd be shocked that their news broadcasts would be slanted, but to me it's a perversion of what the news media is supposed to be.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I love Olbermann...he gave fodder to his critics, though. You never wanna do that. Maybe he should pull a Limbaugh and maintain a holier than thou stance.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #26
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

You mean get addicted to painkillers?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #27
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I used to think that Olbermann was very entertaining, but since about 2005 or so he seems to have gone very one track. It could just be me, but it seems like his show went from "entertaining news of the day" to "Fox News are assholes and I will show you why every night".

I very much enjoyed his work on Sportcenter and I enjoyed Countdown until a couple of years ago. IMO, he should keep his job. This really isn't a big deal. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If it had come out that he had given money to Republicans... now that would have been a shock.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post

I don't really follow the cable news networks much but I do believe Olbermann was one of the guys who was covering the election results the other night. Perhaps it's fine if he donated if he just had his show, which is less news and more opinion/talk show. But when he started covering news events live such as the election, he was considered a part of the "news" team. Scarborough from what I understand runs more of a political morning talk show, which is not really news per say.

That's all I can think of and it sort of makes sense. There are different journalism standards for the news side and the editorial/entertainment side.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 AM   #29
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I used to think that Olbermann was very entertaining, but since about 2005 or so he seems to have gone very one track. It could just be me, but it seems like his show went from "entertaining news of the day" to "Fox News are assholes and I will show you why every night".

I very much enjoyed his work on Sportcenter and I enjoyed Countdown until a couple of years ago. IMO, he should keep his job. This really isn't a big deal. It really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If it had come out that he had given money to Republicans... now that would have been a shock.

Sort of agree. His show got very mean-spirited like all the others. It seems that the more extreme and hate-filled your show becomes, the higher the ratings.

The funny thing is that the only two pundit shows I can tolerate are both hosted by women. I don't always agree with these two, but I think Rachel Maddow and Greta Van Susteren are fair on their show and give more intelligent information than just screaming back and forth at one another. I actually used to like the segments Maddow had with Tucker Carlson way back in the day. Always good debates by two people who didn't just yell over one another or throw out ridiculous talking points.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #30
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Ever since the run-up to the 2008 election, Olberman has turned into a parody of himself. He seemingly got a big dose of his own press and decided to try and out-do himself. It's become impossible to watch him now if you're expecting anything resembling rational discourse. Of course, that's the mold that made O'Reilly, Hannity, and Beck zillionaires, so it makes sense to copy their styles. This is a giant failure since it is clear that right-wing radio and tv consumers are brainless sheep that want to be fed what to think and left-wing radio and tv consumers are genius know-it-alls who want a doctoral dissertation.

Maddow, IMO, has the style and format perfected. Perfect tone, doesn't take herself too seriously, and is willing to have someone she doesn't agree with on the show to make their point.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #31
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

But Olberman draws bigger ratings.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #32
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I wish Olbermann would have stayed with ESPN. It's a shame that his career has taken this turn. Seems like a likeable guy, but just got into politics and went south.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #33
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

And made a shit ton more money. And had a job he wanted.

I think with a lot of people we spend too much time thinking they'd be better off if they only did what makes us happy.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And made a shit ton more money. And had a job he wanted.

I think with a lot of people we spend too much time thinking they'd be better off if they only did what makes us happy.

I'm sure you're right. But I still wish he would have never left ESPN.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #35
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Nah. He'd be as stale as Berman by now.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #36
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Not bad. Not bad at all.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #37
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Nah. He'd be as fat as Berman by now.

fixed
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #38
Dutch
"Dutch"

MSNBC responds this way.

Quote:
"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist..."

So MSNBC has been parading Olberman around as an impartial journalist? Look, Olberman is what he is, a political hack on TV, not an enthical journalist providing political news impartially. I think MSNBC should suspend themselves!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #39
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
So who's the Worst Person In America?

John Simon, of course.

For those of you not old enough to have listened to 'Bob an Ray(dio) New York', here's a Wiki synopsis:

>>Their character known as "The Worst Person in the World" (a reference to New York magazine theatre critic John Simon, who gave their stage show a negative review) inspired the segment (and subsequent book) of the same name on MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Olbermann. Olbermann is a committed fan of Bob and Ray, acknowledging them in his aforementioned book as a crucial influence, in addition to commending their frequent spoofing of Senator Joe McCarthy and Joseph Welch in the 1950s. [1] <<

That review was actually in the New York Times, not New York magazine.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #40
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
MSNBC responds this way.

So MSNBC has been parading Olberman around as an impartial journalist? Look, Olberman is what he is, a political hack on TV, not an enthical journalist providing political news impartially. I think MSNBC should suspend themselves!

That is just a silly quote. I'm sorry, no one is stupid enough to think that Olberman is impartial. They might as well come out and say that he is fair and balanced.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 11-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #41
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
That is just a silly quote. I'm sorry, no one is stupid enough to think that Olberman is impartial. They might as well come out and say that he is fair and balanced.

Agreed!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #42
SteveMax58
College Starter

This will play out just like when characters would leave the WWF & WCW for the other. I've seen this one before.

I bet we see Olberman join up with Fox News and befriend Alan Colmes at first via a few interviews. Next he'll add some commentary for Geraldo here & there. He'll be generally liked & respected for a little while & everybody will think MSNBC were such bad guys for what they did to him. But then...he turns on Geraldo by hitting him with a chair(breaking his nose again)...and Colmes gets blindsided by a "Worst Person in the World".

Olberman then comes out, Hollywood Hogan style, with his newly formed (NWO-like) group consisting of Hannity, Beck, & O'Reilly. Olberman professes his hate for the "little people"...how he is tired of paying for the Medicare of the Fox News viewers...and how he will move to China if Obama is re-elected in 2012.

Yeah...pretty obvious where they're taking this.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #43
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
This will play out just like when characters would leave the WWF & WCW for the other. I've seen this one before.

I bet we see Olberman join up with Fox News and befriend Alan Colmes at first via a few interviews. Next he'll add some commentary for Geraldo here & there. He'll be generally liked & respected for a little while & everybody will think MSNBC were such bad guys for what they did to him. But then...he turns on Geraldo by hitting him with a chair(breaking his nose again)...and Colmes gets blindsided by a "Worst Person in the World".

Olberman then comes out, Hollywood Hogan style, with his newly formed (NWO-like) group consisting of Hannity, Beck, & O'Reilly. Olberman professes his hate for the "little people"...how he is tired of paying for the Medicare of the Fox News viewers...and how he will move to China if Obama is re-elected in 2012.

Yeah...pretty obvious where they're taking this.

I would be shocked. I'm pretty sure Olberman and Hannity are the most honest extremists on cable TV.