Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Jake Plummer

Alright, let me preface this by saying I realize he's not that good. But, I feel sorry for him. He was always at least serviceable but never could quite kill off his true self. It feels like he just got dumped on at the end and even though he might talk as if it's his choice, I just can't help but think he doesn't want to tryout anymore.

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Hall of Fame - First Ballot - Beeyotch!!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't feel bad for him at all. The nature of sports is perform or someone better is gonna take your job.

Did he get a crap deal getting drafted by the cards? sure, but he could have been humping a 9-5 job like most people. The guy had his time, made millions, and decided to walk away rather then take a change of scenery. I say fuck him if he wants to be a quitter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I like his beard although snakes don't have beards.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Alright, let me preface this by saying I realize he's not that good. But, I feel sorry for him. He was always at least serviceable but never could quite kill off his true self. It feels like he just got dumped on at the end and even though he might talk as if it's his choice, I just can't help but think he doesn't want to tryout anymore.

Jake was a bit too stubborn throughout his career. As you said, he was a serviceable QB, yet from afar he seemed to always act and play like he was more than serviceable. It looked like coaches wanted to limit what he did on the field to the things he did well. He always wanted to prove that he could do the things that the top QBs in the league could do. He failed miserably when he tried to go above his capabilities.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
14ers
High School Varsity

Does his retirement mean he can not come back this year for anyone but Denver?

I thought he would end up in Houston this year.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Jake was a bit too stubborn throughout his career. As you said, he was a serviceable QB, yet from afar he seemed to always act and play like he was more than serviceable. It looked like coaches wanted to limit what he did on the field to the things he did well. He always wanted to prove that he could do the things that the top QBs in the league could do. He failed miserably when he tried to go above his capabilities.

He had a very good year in 05.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 AM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

Still a lot of questions swirling about. Should be answered soon enough, I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Cummings, Tampa Tribune, 06 Mar 07

When asked if he knew whether Plummer had filed his retirement papers, Allen (Bucs GM) said, "I have not received them. He's a member of our team."

If a letter explaining his plans to retire does not exist or has yet to reach the league, it's likely Plummer's rights will remain with the Bucs.

If that proves true, Liu said (NFLPA Rep), the Bucs will have two options. They can continue to carry Plummer on their active roster or place him on the reserve/retired list.

If the Bucs carry Plummer on their active roster and he unretires, his salary will count against the cap. If Plummer retires, his salary will not count against the cap.

Also at issue is the roughly $5 million in prorated signing bonus money that Plummer might have to pay back should he retire. That money would go to the team holding Plummer's rights.

If Plummer does report to the Bucs, other options are trading him or releasing him, but Allen has indicated the team didn't acquire him to trade him.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I've always thought that Plummer could have been a very good QB in the right system. If he had someone who could reign him in like Holmgren did with Favre...

When he was available in the second round I was seriously hoping the Lions would draft him (and dump Scott Mitchell.) Instead they took Juan Roque. That sure worked out well...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Roethlisberger had a bad year this year, until I looked at the numbers and saw he had basically a Plummer or Bledsoe average year. Which then conflicted me, since Ben still sucked, but at times I thought Plummer and Bledsoe had been fairly decent. But those guys, and their ~75 ratings basically must have sucked balls pretty much their whole career.

And thanks for throwing away the AFCCG two years ago, jake. It was about time someone was due to "Kordell/Maddox/O'Donnell" a big game up to us one time.

Last edited by stevew : 03-10-2007 at 06:49 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I've always thought that Plummer could have been a very good QB in the right system. If he had someone who could reign him in like Holmgren did with Favre...

When he was available in the second round I was seriously hoping the Lions would draft him (and dump Scott Mitchell.) Instead they took Juan Roque. That sure worked out well...

Hey, I remember that guy, a lot of people thought Juan Roque was going to be a steal. Oh well...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

This retirement explains exactly why Plummer was never the QB people expected him to be -- no heart. It's Elvis Grbac all over again. Both this guys just quit because they had enough money and didn't want to the effort into getting better and competing for a job at a time when they should have been productive.

If Plummer is willing to retire now, it's obvious that football was never that important to him. If that's the case, you simply cannot perform at an elite level.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
This retirement explains exactly why Plummer was never the QB people expected him to be -- no heart. It's Elvis Grbac all over again. Both this guys just quit because they had enough money and didn't want to the effort into getting better and competing for a job at a time when they should have been productive.

If Plummer is willing to retire now, it's obvious that football was never that important to him. If that's the case, you simply cannot perform at an elite level.

I agree... to a point. I think his decision came down to that he figures at this point he is not likely to win any titles. If he's going to play, he wants to feel comfortable with where he is at and with what he is doing. In Houston, he would have that comfort zone and play for a team that can go nowhere but up. In Tampa he would be learning a new playbook, calls, coach... and on top of everything have another situation where the first incomplete pass he throws will send the fans into a rabid pitch calling for him to be benched (for Simms, who might suck just as bad... but won some endearing value with the toughness issue.)

Also, Houston has a good chance to have a decent defense and plays in a division that is practically wide open (even Indy is questionable on defense still...) Tampa plays in a brutal division and in about to implode on defense.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

Come on guys. He was not a good quarterback, but he always gave good effort and seemed like a decent guy. You guys are making him out to be another Jeff George, which is not right.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Come on guys. He was not a good quarterback, but he always gave good effort and seemed like a decent guy. You guys are making him out to be another Jeff George, which is not right.

I think he could have been a poor man's Brett Favre. He showed marked improvement in Kubiak's system much like Favre did under Holmgren. The difference is that Brett is much more outgoing where Jake is a brooding "fuck it" type. But without the right system and surrounding talent both are the type who make an amazing play followed by a WTF.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Jake the Snake today
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

Good story, glad to read it.

The articles noted Plummer being benched in favor of Cutler when the Broncos were 7-4. By my count, the team is four games under .500 since Plummer was benched.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Good story, glad to read it.

The articles noted Plummer being benched in favor of Cutler when the Broncos were 7-4. By my count, the team is four games under .500 since Plummer was benched.

plummer and fof4 will be indelibly linked in my brain forever. i always played as Arizona since they were first in the drop-downs.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 11-06-2010 at 09:28 PM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #20
molson
General Manager

A few million dollars/bouncing around as a backup QB VS. A care-free existence in northern Idaho? Easy choice.

Last edited by molson : 11-06-2010 at 09:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
A few million dollars/bouncing around as a backup QB VS. A care-free existence in northern Idaho? Easy choice.

sandpoint, id is beautiful