Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Which Droid phone?

Okay I think I have decided to go with a Droid versus the Blackberry now my question is which Droid? the Droid X, @ or Incredible. If you already have a Droid which one do you have and why did you choose it? Thanks in advance of course.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

Just ordered an Incredible, IMO the X is a bit too large. Have same processor speed, large screen on both.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025

Last edited by FBPro : 11-08-2010 at 10:20 PM.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have had 2 Incredible's and they both have been crap (Android issues aside, battery life has been a big problem, overheating, and spontaneous crashing). Since joining the Android side and getting the Incredible, I've read and heard many things about HTC's quality control being hit or miss. It seems I've gotten 2 duds. My sister's fiancee also got 2 duds. But my friend (who admittedly rarely uses his Android as anything other than a phone) has had no issues.

Were I to do it all over again, I'd get either the Samsung Galaxy S variant or a Motorola...but I agree tha the X is too large. I can't work it one-handed.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I have had 2 Incredible's and they both have been crap (Android issues aside, battery life has been a big problem, overheating, and spontaneous crashing). Since joining the Android side and getting the Incredible, I've read and heard many things about HTC's quality control being hit or miss. It seems I've gotten 2 duds. My sister's fiancee also got 2 duds. But my friend (who admittedly rarely uses his Android as anything other than a phone) has had no issues.

Were I to do it all over again, I'd get either the Samsung Galaxy S variant or a Motorola...but I agree tha the X is too large. I can't work it one-handed.

/tk

My wife and I have Galaxy X's. We are hardly big time tech users. Mostly wanted a way to not be tied to the PC all the time, access to multiple email accounts, web.

We've had minimal issues so far. Battery consumption is pretty bad, but you'll have that with all droids I suppose.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
FBPro
College Starter

The battery life issue is present with all droids. It is something that is being worked on and should improve with the newer droids and software updates on the older devices should give some benefit.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Windows Phone 7?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
The battery life issue is present with all droids. It is something that is being worked on and should improve with the newer droids and software updates on the older devices should give some benefit.

Battery life is an issue for all smartphones, but both of my Incredibles can't go half a day without being charged. That's when they're sitting in my office, not being used (and auto-updates turned off). Mine have a very specific problem.

But I really am soured on Android by my not-so-Incredibles.

/tk
Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I'm actually very happy with my iphone 4 battery life. It can go at least 2 days, possibly 3 before I have to charge it. I listen to music for at least 1.5 hours a day, check email all the time, and probalby play 30-60 mins of games a day.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Seriously, people, if somebody says they want a Droid, why do so many of you feel a need to tell them about iPhone phones available? Apple is obviously doing well enough, which is actually a shame because it has some BIG issues.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Seriously, people, if somebody says they want a Droid, why do so many of you feel a need to tell them about iPhone phones available? Apple is obviously doing well enough, which is actually a shame because it has some BIG issues.

Because someone made the claim that "Battery life is an issue for all smartphones".

Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can't work it one-handed.
/tk
QFT.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

EVO MONSTER!!!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I guess I do not have to get the Droid it just seemed the more popular option with Verizon. Of course the Iphone is not an option with Verizon but I am open to the others. I was leaning away from the Blackberry but maybe that is a bad idea. My usage will be for business when I am away from the office where I can check my email go to lender websites to check rates conditions and do some web surfing. I would also like to have a phone that allows me to not feel tied to my laptop when I am out of town or gone from the office for the day. There is nothing worse then having to stop in to a Panera Bread with my laptop to check emails. I currently use Gmail to manage all of my email accounts and would like to keep it that way. Maybe that means I do not need a Droid?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Because someone made the claim that "Battery life is an issue for all smartphones".

That was me. I should have said most. It IS usually an issue, especially when people comare to feature phones or dumb phones. Data usage, etc, usually draw more battery. But the ones on my Incredible in particular are particularly bad. So much so that I'll never buy another HTC device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826
I guess I do not have to get the Droid it just seemed the more popular option with Verizon. Of course the Iphone is not an option with Verizon but I am open to the others. I was leaning away from the Blackberry but maybe that is a bad idea. My usage will be for business when I am away from the office where I can check my email go to lender websites to check rates conditions and do some web surfing. I would also like to have a phone that allows me to not feel tied to my laptop when I am out of town or gone from the office for the day. There is nothing worse then having to stop in to a Panera Bread with my laptop to check emails. I currently use Gmail to manage all of my email accounts and would like to keep it that way. Maybe that means I do not need a Droid?

Don't "need" a Droid, though if you want to get one now (and not wait until January to see if Verizon gets an iPhone), it's probably your best option. From what I've read (I have never used a BB), the web browser on them is kind of poor. I don't like the default browser on the Incredible, either, but you can download any number of other ones. Browsing is...passable. Depends what you want to to. I can read posts here, but it's hard to respond. Same thing for my work web-based email (can't get enterprise email at my company on any device other than BB...yet). I can read fine, but responding is virtually out of the question.

Funnily enough, the Android apps in general I'm having the biggest issues with lately, on the GOOGLE operating system, are GOOGLE apps, GMail and Calendar in particular. GMail has gotten so bad (and out of sync) that I use the mobile web interface.

Full disclaimer: I'm contemplating switching to AT&T to get onto a GSM network. I have been extremely disappointed with my Android experience and am pondering getting an iPhone (my other option would be the Galaxy S variant that's on AT&T, another Android device). Even if I don't switch to AT&T, if Verizon were to get it, I'd dump the Incredible in a heartbeat.

/tk
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was me. I should have said most. It IS usually an issue, especially when people comare to feature phones or dumb phones. Data usage, etc, usually draw more battery. But the ones on my Incredible in particular are particularly bad. So much so that I'll never buy another HTC device.

Don't "need" a Droid, though if you want to get one now (and not wait until January to see if Verizon gets an iPhone), it's probably your best option. From what I've read (I have never used a BB), the web browser on them is kind of poor. I don't like the default browser on the Incredible, either, but you can download any number of other ones. Browsing is...passable. Depends what you want to to. I can read posts here, but it's hard to respond. Same thing for my work web-based email (can't get enterprise email at my company on any device other than BB...yet). I can read fine, but responding is virtually out of the question.

Funnily enough, the Android apps in general I'm having the biggest issues with lately, on the GOOGLE operating system, are GOOGLE apps, GMail and Calendar in particular. GMail has gotten so bad (and out of sync) that I use the mobile web interface.

Full disclaimer: I'm contemplating switching to AT&T to get onto a GSM network. I have been extremely disappointed with my Android experience and am pondering getting an iPhone (my other option would be the Galaxy S variant that's on AT&T, another Android device). Even if I don't switch to AT&T, if Verizon were to get it, I'd dump the Incredible in a heartbeat.

/tk

TK, I have a similar issue to what you brought up earlier (or possibly the other thread) regarding mail being deleted and reappearing. But only with my home Verizon account. Hasn't been as bad lately, but still deleting some mails 2 or 3 times.

I have a gmail, from when I bought the phone, that I barely use, because I am too lazy to switch everything over to that at this point.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #16
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

just picked up a droid 2 yesterday...not long enough to have an opinion yet...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote