Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Xbox 360 Help

Over the last few months, my xbox would start up and say "open tray" "reading" "open tray". I'd go through the whole process, restart, go through it again, restart, etc until it finally worked. Yesterday, it took about an hour and a half of fiddling to get it to finally play. Today, it just didn't.

And since my game library is pretty decent sized, I couldn't imagine rebuilding it. Otherwise I'd say screw Microsoft and get a PS3. But, I went out and bought the kinect bundle (I really showed Microsoft who's boss there ).

With my old xbox, I had a really crisp, clear picture. With this new one, it's definitely not as clear, or crisp. I tried looking around the wires to see if there was some sort of switch or something, but I couldn't find anything.

So unless someone knows a trick, it looks like I'm going to need to buy the high-def cables or whatever they're called. From my quick google search, it looks like there is quite the assortment with very different prices. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited by illinifan999 : 11-10-2010 at 01:31 PM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
DanGarion
Coordinator

What type of TV do you have?

I would suggest going to Monoprice and just buying an HDMI cable.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
whomario
Pro Starter

if the tray wonīt work, how does that affect the picture ? Or did you replace your xbox and the new one has worse picture ? Or does the tray not work AND the picture sucks ? In that case, did you get new cables on the replacement or kept your old ones ? Also, do you use scart cable or the "3 single connectors" type ?

If you want to try HD cable :
take the cheapest HDMI cable you can find and test it. Seriously, unless you are sending a signal over at least 30 feet or sth like that it doesnīt matter as far as i know... Maybe the cheap one will break (on the connectors mostly) earlier (the again, why would you connect and disconnect all the time ?), but aside from that the technology within the cables is working just as well with 10 dollar cable or 80 dollar cable, at least on short distances of a couple feet.

Last edited by whomario : 11-10-2010 at 02:48 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
What type of TV do you have?

I would suggest going to Monoprice and just buying an HDMI cable.

Sony Bravia.

I'm almost completely illiterate when it comes to this hi-def stuff. I figured out the length, but what does the other stuff mean? 28AWG, 24AWG, etc? It looks like everything is similarly priced.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
if the tray wonīt work, how does that affect the picture ? Or did you replace your xbox and the new one has worse picture ? Or does the tray not work AND the picture sucks ? In that case, did you get new cables on the replacement or kept your old ones ? Also, do you use scart cable or the "3 single connectors" type ?

I just got a new one, and the new one has a worse picture than the old one. I used all the new cables that came with the new one. The only difference I noticed is that there's only 3 things to plug in (red, white, yellow) with the new one where the old one had blue, green, red, red, white, yellow.

Last edited by illinifan999 : 11-10-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
whomario
Pro Starter

Sony Bravia all are HD, right ?

The only thing to look out for is that the cable should be HDMI 1.3 certified (that info is normally placed prominently on the front of the package), other than that itīs all pretty irelevant for the purpose of simply connecting your 360 to your TV. Also, it doesnīt matter if itīs 1.3, 1.3a , 1.3b or 1.3c

Whatīs the cable length you need ?

AWG in some way measures the conductors and is important for long cables, but not for normale connections within a room.

judging by amazon and converting german prices iīd say that you shouldnīt pay more than 5 dollars for a cable up to 10 or even 15 feet of length. Itīs just a cable, not hardware.

under no circumstances buy the HDMI cables in the xbox360 section, those are ridiculously overpriced ...

Do you buy stuff on amazon ?

Amazon.com: Version 1.3 HDMI Cable (15 feet): HDMI: Electronics

Last edited by whomario : 11-10-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Red, White, and Yellow are 'composite', which is gonna give you the worst picture out of all the options. The Blue, Green, Red, Yellow is 'component', which is a lot better. If the XBox is a new one, the best bet is going to be HDMI, which sends video and sound over a single cable, and will provide the best picture and sound quality of all the options.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Sony Bravia all are HD, right ?

The only thing to look out for is that the cable should be HDMI 1.3 certified (that info is normally placed prominently on the front of the package), other than that itīs all pretty irelevant for the purpose of simply connecting your 360 to your TV.
Whatīs the cable length you need ?

judging by amazon and converting german prices iīd say that you shouldnīt pay more than 10 dollars for a cable up to 10 feet of length.

under no circumstances buy the HDMI cables in the xbox360 section, those are ridiculously overpriced ...

Do you buy stuff on amazon ?

Amazon.com: Version 1.3 HDMI Cable (15 feet): HDMI: Electronics

Cable length can probably work being a little over a foot. Are all the outlets (or whatever you plug the ends into) the same? About the 1.3, would 1.3a or 1.3b be the same?

Last edited by illinifan999 : 11-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Cable length can probably work being a little over a foot. Are all the outlets (or whatever you plug the ends into) the same? About the 1.3, would 1.3a or 1.3b be the same?

was to slow editing abve Yeah, 1.3a or 1.3b doesnīt matter at all for normal use, if iīm not mistaken itīs just different manufacturing techniques with the same end result/features.
Outlet is allways the same.

1 or 2 feet ? Seriously just go to the nearest store and take the cheapest they got with any form of 1.3 technology (really shouldnīt pay more than 3-5 dollars). Doesnīt even have to be an electronics store really, hardware stores are usually having cheap cables (at least here in german)

Itīs a joke that MS/Sony donīt include a HDMI cable with their consoles and then sell them under their lable for 35-50 dollars, somehow making people think you need to pay that kind of money ? Itīs like buying a 3000 dollar laptop to work with office and send emails ...

Last edited by whomario : 11-10-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
I just got a new one, and the new one has a worse picture than the old one. I used all the new cables that came with the new one. The only difference I noticed is that there's only 3 things to plug in (red, white, yellow) with the new one where the old one had blue, green, red, red, white, yellow.

Microsoft stopped packing in the component (red/green/blue) cables a while ago.

If you still have the old 360 and its cables, you can easily swap the cables you'd been using with the system you just bought and get a picture comparable to what you're used to.

Alternatively, the HDMI option these guys are talking about will get you as good, or better, than what you're used to.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, the picture is bad because you aren't running HD on it. You will either need to pickup a set of cables that have all 5 colors like before, or an HDMI cord which is easiest in my opinion. You can buy an HDMI cord on Amazon for practically nothing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Well I went to about 5 or 6 different stores, and the cheapest cable they had was $30. While looking around, I realized what Sack said. And it works! Thanks guys!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

The lesson here is: Sack is smarter than everybody else and should always be listened to.

Alternatively, if you're replacing a busted game console but haven't gotten rid of the busted system or its cables, you can generally still use the cables, even if the system itself has been redesigned in the interim.

At least with contemporary systems. I know the old 8- and 16-bit stuff frequently had different compatibilities.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
Pyser
Pro Rookie

you used composite (yellow is video). component is WAY better (blue green and red). so it should look shittier. you significantly downgraded.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola - i apparently had this window open for about 7 hours before responding. obviously people beat me to it. well done, fofc
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My 360 died in nearly the same manner....and then I was similarly surprised to find out that the new ones don't come with HDTV cables, especially considering that the old models did.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote