Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

TV & Politics

I found this an interesting - and funny - read.

Quote:
Republicans watch TV like this, Democrats watch TV like this
by Sean O'Neal November 10, 2010

Combining two of the most popular topics of debate around here—divisive demographic studies and even more infuriating personal politics—media-research company Experian Simmons has released a new survey breaking down which television shows are popular along party lines. In summation: Republicans, in general, enjoy crime procedurals and TV shows that are big ratings hits such as American Idol and Dancing With The Stars, while Democrats enjoy watching stuff that is “critically acclaimed” yet under-performing such as 30 Rock, Mad Men, Parks And Recreation, Community, and Friday Night Lights. So basically, Republicans are in tune with the heart of the country and on the side of law and order, while Democrats tend to side with elitists, criminals, and losers. This is probably a sweeping generalization you've heard fatuously declared before, but hey, now it has statistics.

According to John Fetto, Experian Simmons’ senior marketing manager, while the big, Nielsen-friendly shows have fans in both parties, they have above-average scores from “higher concentrations of Republicans” because “Republicans like winners” and enjoy “programs that make people feel good.” However, you should probably take that with a grain of salt: They love the tedious torture of V (presumably because it’s a paranoid parable about the Obama administration).

Meanwhile, self-loathing, insecure Democrats “seem to like shows about damaged people. Those are the kind of shows Republicans just stay away from.” That means liberals enjoy stuff such as Dexter and Breaking Bad, but also Kourtney And Khloe Take Miami—which is telling, we think. Also, the only true crime procedural on the Democrats’ list is Law And Order: SVU, which is the one with the perverts.

Interestingly, one of the Republicans’ top-ranked shows is Modern Family, which, who knows, maybe that bodes well for the future of gay and immigration rights. And not that interestingly, Republicans really, really love babies, gravitating to so-called “breeder” shows like 18 Kids And Counting on TLC, which THR notes has been gradually making itself over as the network of the “heartland” by adding titles like Sarah Palin’s Alaska and Homecoming. Anyway, nothing here you probably couldn’t have already guessed based on some broad generalizations, but here’s the list all the same:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've seen a few studies like this in the past, it's actually pretty consistent.

It also plays right into my frequent insistence that party politics is simply a reflection of values/beliefs/preferences, not a cause of them.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I see a pretty big gap between watching network TV and cable.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

I guess if I follow this list, I'm more R than D.

Out of the shows listed I only watch these ones.

Modern Family
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Community
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

Wow. 30 shows I don't watch or even have the desire to watch. I must be some kind of weird independent or something...oh wait. I am! Never mind.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Is the number 7 hated by both parties and banned from this study?

ETA: Nevermind, I'm the idiot!!

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 11-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

This part makes me laugh-

Quote:
Meanwhile, self-loathing, insecure Democrats “seem to like shows about damaged people.

Because Desparate Housewives and The Bachelor depict how we should all live.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Easy Mac

I'm 3-6, but I'm getting ready to drop 2 of the R shows. That sounds about right.

Strangely, my wife would be 2-6, but is a staunch R.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think it's funny that Glenn Beck and Lie to Me are on the same list.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote