Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #451
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Perhaps others are more familiar with Moss's skillset other than you?

I think your extreme homerism has sapped all credibility from your Moss/Favre related posts. Nothing personal of course

If a guy doesn't have the skills to go deep, then he's limited to making plays within 20 yards. Check. If you don't want to go over the middle for fear of getting blown up, then you're limited to curl/out/hitch/slant & dive routes. Check.

Jerry Rice was a fantastic possession receiver in his last five years for two reasons - he was able to run routes with extreme precision, and he could use his body to keep DB's from getting to the ball. He had nowhere near the speed he use to have, and everybody knew it. Randy Moss can't do any of these things well...and his production is declining rapidly. I just don't see how you could possibly argue that he's anything other than a one-trick pony with a gimp...a bad possession receiver.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-01-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #452
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just heard from an insider that Randy Moss has signed with the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL. Daunte Culpepper to Randy Moss, coached by Dennis Green. Can't wait.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #453
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Weeks like these really make me miss the NFL Week in Pics...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #454
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I just heard from an insider that Randy Moss has signed with the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL. Daunte Culpepper to Randy Moss, coached by Dennis Green. Can't wait.

Haha!
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #455
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I think your extreme homerism has sapped all credibility from your Moss/Favre related posts. Nothing personal of course

If a guy doesn't have the skills to go deep, then he's limited to making plays within 20 yards. Check. If you don't want to go over the middle for fear of getting blown up, then you're limited to curl/out/hitch/slant & dive routes. Check.

Jerry Rice was a fantastic possession receiver in his last five years for two reasons - he was able to run routes with extreme precision, and he could use his body to keep DB's from getting to the ball. He had nowhere near the speed he use to have, and everybody knew it. Randy Moss can't do any of these things well...and his production is declining rapidly. I just don't see how you could possibly argue that he's anything other than a one-trick pony with a gimp...a bad possession receiver.

Except you're wrong...Moss can still go deep.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #456
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #457
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Then why doesn't he?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #458
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

I had to look this up. They also have John Tice on the staff, nephew of Mike Tice.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #459
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He has lost a step which no one has disagreed with you. We pretty much all agreed that he wasnt as productive either. What you are missing is that his value is in how defenses play him with allows other players to be more effective. You are just looking at Moss's numbers while the others involved in this debate realize how effective he is at making the players around him better. As someone else mentioned the Vikings and Patriots both averaged more points per game with Moss this year. Ive seen the difference in the Vikings offense when they had Moss as Harvin was an effective reciever, Peterson had more gaps to run through and Favre wasnt getting sacked every other play.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #460
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Then why doesn't he?

He does.

You're talking like he has 0 catches for 0 TDs the last 5 years, and has never run a deep route.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 04:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #461
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Nah, I'm talking like he has zero TD catches (or any other catch for that matter) over 37 yards this year, which is the only year that matters right now.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-01-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #462
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Then why doesn't he?

The Merriweather PI wasn't a five yard cross.

As I said before, Belichick put safety help on him every play. Why did he do this? Pity?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 11-01-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #463
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

I thought the same thing as soon as Rex Grossman went in the game.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:26 PM   #464
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nah, I'm talking like he has zero TD catches (or any other catch for that matter) over 37 yards this year, which is the only year that matters right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

I bet he could have gone for more than 37 yards there against one of the best corners in the game, but you know there was an endzone in the way.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #465
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

So, now they are saying he wasn't waived and this might be some Childress power play without approval?

WTF?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #466
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Didn't Revis come out after that play? You know...because he was hurt?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #467
molson
General Manager

Quote:

So a deep route has to net a 40+ yard gain to be considered a "deep route"? What if you're closer to the end zone than that? If a screen pass yields a bunch of YAC, do you consider that a "deep route"? Football is a tough sport to get a full picture just from individual players stats.

And for some reason, you are still refusing to acknowledge the clear impact on Moss's deep routes to the passing games of the Patriots and Vikings.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #468
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
So, now they are saying he wasn't waived and this might be some Childress power play without approval?

WTF?

Where you seeing that?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #469
JS19
College Prospect

Mike Shanahan says Donovan McNabb not in shape for 2-minute drill - ESPN

Has Shannahan gone batshit crazy?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #470
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Where you seeing that?

I've seen it on rotoworld, a few tweets and profootballtalk
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #471
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So a deep route has to net a 40+ yard gain to be considered a "deep route"? What if you're closer to the end zone than that? If a screen pass yields a bunch of YAC, do you consider that a "deep route"? Football is a tough sport to get a full picture just from individual players stats.

And for some reason, you are still refusing to acknowledge the clear impact on Moss's deep routes to the passing games of the Patriots and Vikings.

I don't see Moss making any bigger of an impact by "going deep" to open up the underneath than any other wideout. He use to be able to stretch the field, but now that age has slowed him in multiple aspects of the game, he's just not producing.

It breaks down really simple...like this: The Moss that we use to know wouldn't be where he is now stat-wise, regardless of who was throwing him the ball. Claiming anything else to be true is absurd and ridiculous.

Moss use to be the best "go long" wideout in the business, bar none. Now he's a has-been, who is riding on his own tarnished up legacy to get a job.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #472
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Didn't Revis come out after that play? You know...because he was hurt?

You still gonna ignore the fact that his teammates and the offenses overall were better when Moss was playing for them? It's just as easy to be a hater as it is a homer.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #473
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I don't see Moss making any bigger of an impact by "going deep" to open up the underneath than any other wideout. He use to be able to stretch the field, but now that age has slowed him in multiple aspects of the game, he's just not producing. The Moss that we use to know wouldn't be where he is now stat-wise, regardless of who was throwing him the ball. Claiming anything else to be true is absurd and ridiculous.

Moss use to be the best "go long" wideout in the business, bar none. Now he's a has-been, who is riding on his own tarnished up legacy to get a job.

Yes, he's not as good as he used to be. I'm just responding to your contention that he doesn't run deep routes. He clearly does. You'll either have to just believe us or get a tape of one of his games from this year.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #474
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
You still gonna ignore the fact that his teammates and the offenses overall were better when Moss was playing for them? It's just as easy to be a hater as it is a homer.

"overall better"

How would you quantify that? Other than PPG...which (lets be realistic here) doesn't go very far when looking at 4 games or less. A great team could play a terrible team one week and score 40 points, and then play a better team the next week and score 28 points.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #475
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, he's not as good as he used to be. I'm just responding to your contention that he doesn't run deep routes. He clearly does. You'll either have to just believe us or get a tape of one of his games from this year.

You're not reading my posts if that's what you're getting. I'm saying he isn't productive as a deep threat...I never said he doesn't run deep routes.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #476
molson
General Manager

Quote:
"overall better"

How would you quantify that? Other than PPG...which (lets be realistic here) doesn't go very far when looking at 4 games or less. A great team could play a terrible team one week and score 40 points, and then play a better team the next week and score 28 points.

What would be acceptable production from Moss at this point in his career, in your view? Like other said, I'm not even sure what you're contending.

The last two years, he's been around 1100 yards, 11 TDs. If he slips a little from that (depends on the offense he's with), and he's around 900 yards, 8-9 TDs, a strong red zone target, a drawer of deep PI penalties, while going deep and stretching the defense, what is that? WR gutter trash?

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #477
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Jay Glazier amd Jason La Canfora are reporting that Moss has NOT been waived.

Perhaps the Vikings are changing their mind and thinking that firing their coach is the better move.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #478
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
You're not reading my posts if that's what you're getting. I'm saying he isn't productive as a deep threat...I never said he doesn't run deep routes.

Dude, it was just 21 minutes between when you said it and when you denied saying it -- it's even on the same page!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #479
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

As I said before, Belichick put safety help on him every play. Why did he do this? Pity?

Waiting for a response here...
Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #480
molson
General Manager

Quote:

First you argued that he was a possession receiver, then in response to a post that "Moss can still go deep," your response was "why doesn't he?"

He's not a possession receiver, and he does go deep. He's a deep threat. Watch the games. You're the only one claiming he's not. Your argument appears to be that in 7 games this year he hasn't had a 40+ yard reception. That's not very compelling.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #481
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the Chargers would be a good fit if he is actually cut. They have a lot of WR problems, and it seems to be a style that he could thrive in. At 3-5, they aren't out of it yet. I don't think the Chiefs are for real.

Last edited by stevew : 11-01-2010 at 04:48 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #482
AlexB
Pro Starter

Nice line by random bloke on Twitter:

Note to Pats: Sign Moss just so "Pats trade Randy Moss to Minnesota for a 3rd round pick and Randy Moss" can run on ESPN's ticker.

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #483
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Jay Glazier amd Jason La Canfora are reporting that Moss has NOT been waived.

Perhaps the Vikings are changing their mind and thinking that firing their coach is the better move.

From what I read they are reporting he is not on the waiver report today, still could be tomorrow.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #484
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

This is the article. It's Glazer.

Glazer: Moss not waived yet, still not informed of move | ProFootballTalk.com
Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #485
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

You took "then why doesn't he?" as me completely changing my argument from "Moss isn't productive anymore" to "he doesn't even bother running deep routes anymore" ???

My god...lay off the drugs. For several pages I've repeated the same argument..."he isn't good enough to be productive deep" but for whatever reason you just can't take that for face value. You have to assign some hidden meaning to it that is somehow, in some way, saying that you as a person don't know the difference between a football and a golf ball.

If you think Moss is no different than he was five years ago, great! You're delusional. If you think Moss this year, which is the only year that matters...not the last two years, not the last five years, not the last 10 years...but this year, is significantly worse to the extent that two teams have already dropped him without thinking twice about it...then you're on the same page as me.

Criminy...I'm not Makiaveli in disguise here.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #486
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think the Chargers would be a good fit if he is actually cut. They have a lot of WR problems, and it seems to be a style that he could thrive in. At 3-5, they aren't out of it yet. I don't think the Chiefs are for real.

I'm sure Rivers would be a great QB for him. *cough*
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #487
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

This is from rototimes

Quote:
Apparently, the Vikings management is not quite sold on cutting the talented but troubled receiver. FOX Sports' Jay Glazer is also reporting that Moss hasn't been waived just yet. The Vikings would now have to let him go by tomorrow's 4 P.M. EST deadline, which would push his claim date back one day. This story is getting stranger by the second. Stay tuned.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #488
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
From what I read they are reporting he is not on the waiver report today, still could be tomorrow.

I wonder if you're allowed to waive somebody when the game week is still going on. With a waiver period of only 24 hours, it would seem somewhat unfair, I guess, to require teams who haven't played their game that week to participate in the same manner as teams who have already played.

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #489
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You took "then why doesn't he?" as me completely changing my argument from "Moss isn't productive anymore" to "he doesn't even bother running deep routes anymore" ???

My god...lay off the drugs. For several pages I've repeated the same argument..."he isn't good enough to be productive deep" but for whatever reason you just can't take that for face value. You have to assign some hidden meaning to it that is somehow, in some way, saying that you as a person don't know the difference between a football and a golf ball.

If you think Moss is no different than he was five years ago, great! You're delusional. If you think Moss this year, which is the only year that matters...not the last two years, not the last five years, not the last 10 years...but this year, is significantly worse to the extent that two teams have already dropped him without thinking twice about it...then you're on the same page as me.

Criminy...I'm not Makiaveli in disguise here.

I'm guessing he wasn't dropped due to production.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #490
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

NFL Network just showed a statement from Mosses agent.

They are reporting it is official, though and what happened was Chilly has unilateral control over personnel in his contract and he made the move without telling ownership. apparently they found out through the players.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #491
molson
General Manager

Quote:

If you think Moss is no different than he was five years ago, great! You're delusional.

Nobody's remotely arguing that dude, but if you want to backpedal on the the possession receiver/deep route stuff that people were arguing with you about, that's cool. (If you're just saying he's not productive, that's obviously wrong too. He's not 2007 Randy Moss, no doubt, but even in this lost season, he's still made big plays).

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #492
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

started with the Sports Guy, Bill Simmons. He's good for quips like that. And it's insane that Childress would tell the team he's waiving the player and then not have the player show up on the waiver wire. That's an instant lose-the-locker room moment (if 2-5 means he hasn't lost them already)
Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #493
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
if you want to backpedal on the the possession receiver/deep route stuff that people were arguing with you about, that's cool.

I'd love it if you quoted me somewhere as saying "I think he's a deep threat, not a possession receiver."

I'll wait.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 11-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #494
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The passion/hatred Sun Tzu is showing is something usually found only in political threads around here!

Anyways, I would love to have some insider report explain what actually happened in the Vikings practices this week. Between the way moss behaved at the press conference to pretty much instantly being waived after reminds me of the Moss from his Oakland days.

I would love a clearer understanding of what happened because I was under the impression that Moss -wanted- to be in Minnesota, but everything we've seen this past week doesn't seem to show that at all.

I still stand by my previous comment though that I think the Bills should pick up Moss. That is a team that clearly can't hurt themselves any more by adding a locker room cancer. Even though I do give points to the idea floated in the thread earlier that Moss to Cincy would be the best thing ever from a circuit point of view.

Last edited by Alan T : 11-01-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #495
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I'd love it if you quoted me somewhere as saying "I think he's a deep threat, not a possession receiver."

I'll wait.

No, you think he's a possession receiver, and not a deep threat. I've actually already quoted that.

You really want me to do it again? OK.

"I just don't understand why any team would want Moss...just in general. He's become a possession receiver, which doesn't work because he's afraid to get hit. He's terrible with the press, he's terrible (from what I hear) in the locker room and he's lost all perspective on what it's like to not have $80M in the bank. The guy is a walking, talking, breathing joke of a person."

When someone responded that Moss was not, in fact, a possession receiver you responded:

"His longest catch of the year is 37 yards...hell the 49ers backup TE (who has been hurt for half the year) has a longer catch than that."

THEN - when people continued to respond that Moss was not, in fact, a possession receiver, you responded;;

"I didn't know making a one-handed catch disqualified a WR as being a possession receiver. I thought...you know...his production determined that.

My mistake."

THEN - you kind of changed your mind to "he can't go deep""

"Ok so...if a guy use to be a "go long" receiver, but not longer has the speed to "go long," and he doesn't have the cojones to go over the middle and take a lick...what does that make him? Other than unproductive."

FINALLY, when someone insisted, yes, Moss can still go deep, you responded.

"So why doesn't he."

Last edited by molson : 11-01-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #496
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I prefer the URL route. It would be like watching TNA...but Football. All the faces you remember from 1998 are back, bust just a little older and a lot slower.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #497
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm having problems finding exactly where it is in that quote box where I'm backing out of my "he's a shitty possession receiver, but a possession receiver nonetheless" stance...

Unless you didn't pick up on the sarcasm intended for "my mistake."
Old 11-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #498
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Holy christ Sun Tzu, really?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #499
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Quote:

Waiting for a response here...

I guess you are a better football mind than Belichick?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #500
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

So...the argument on your side is "he's a deep threat that doesn't catch deep balls" ???